Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Palentine's Day

• Start Topic

Sorry but Mariana is a brat.  Is she incapable of apologizing?  

I hope Gael doesn’t become a drug addict now every time he’s blocked on an art project 

I don’t like new girl she gives off crazy vibes.  Giving drugs to Gael and now telling Raj she thought of his gift. 

• Love 6

Okay, I'm going to blame what I'm about to say on the effects of Valentine's Day:

I love Malika and Isaac together.

i love Dennis and Davia together.

I even like Jamie and Callie together, but moreso because I like Jamie. I've never liked Callie, though I know I'm supposed to.

Raj and Mariana are adorable together, but I don't think either is mature enough to be in this relationship. 

The jury's still out for me on Isabella. Some people really are just that friendly, but she also does a lot of lowkey shady stuff. 

• Love 2

I think Jamie and Callie is better/healthier than any relationship she's been in or around.  However, I don't think she's that into him so it is hard not to think that he could do way, way better.  

I don't love Mariana dating her boss but we are clearly going their with Mariana and Evan eventuaally.

I am hard core Dennis and Davia although I find them more exhausting this year than last.  They are literally the only thing that kept me hanging in last season.  But I see other places that most people would prefer them just to be friends.  Different strokes.  I'm still rooting for them.

Gael still feels to me like he's on this whole other show.   He's so the hotness but he also doesn't seem to me to fit.  But this episode makes it clear we're going back there with he and Callie and yawn.

• Love 4

I wish Callie had said, “Of course that’s one of the reasons I moved out.  Why would I want to live with a bunch of people that hate me and talk about me behind my back. Including the one person I thought was my friend, Malika, but who still talked bad about me and you Mariana who should have had my back but also made fun of me”. I think Callie still let Mariana off to easy. I also want the other girls to see the consequences of their actions. I mean this was over a mug that literally had Callies name on it.  It would have been different is Callie had been upset about a favorite cup that was shared. The other coterie girls just mean girled her over a personal object that she did not want to share. Mariana so deserves the single white female treatment she is going to get with Isabella. She is just too perfect not to be psycho.

i root for Dennis but I am having a hard time rooting for Davia because of the previous mean girl episode against Callie for no valid reason (in my opinion).  She needs a redemptive arc with Callie. Yes she was a good friend to Dennis but I would hope anyone would step up if their friend was that depressed and suicidal. 

• Love 10

Yeah, I definitely thought Mariana was wrong with Callie and owed her an apology and some amends. People were really mean-spirited and clearly didn't like or respect her at the Coterie, so I was sad when Callie wanted to move back in, even though I am not that into her relationship with Jamie, and was supportive of it when she wanted to stop living with him (though I liked how they talked it out so I'm also accepting of her choice to stay). It is a really sad situation for Callie, because she has lived in situations where she wasn't treated with respect, and a group home like The Coterie-- which Mariana chose without even warning Callie of what it was-- would easily be re-stimulating of her experiences in the foster system. They aren't as bad as THAT, but it's a situation where she is being ganged up on and has nowhere else to go. I can see how she would hate it, and I thought it was quite sad that she left without being strong enough to at least tell Mariana why. That shows it really really hurt her.

And then she continued to try to act like everything was fine. She wanted to forget about what hurt her and just carry on as though things were the same... I get that. It's sad, though, because Callie can be very brave on behalf of others. But when it's on her own behalf, she still gives up.

I don't see any way that Mariana wasn't wrong here, and she doesn't seem to have any conscience about it, which is really disappointing.

On the other hand, she was right that Callie should talk to Jamie about the ring instead of spinning out. She could have said: Mariana was snooping, which I don't approve of, but since it happened, and she told me about this ring... Jamie could be mad at Mariana, and it would be a reasonable anger, but Callie didn't even want to risk THAT. Which, again, is sad. She doesn't feel safe with her sister OR her live-in boyfriend....

--

Dennis's support group cautioning him not to confuse gratitude for romantic love was a real kick in the conscience. I wish he would tell Davia, or Alice, or SOMEONE, that he's still sorting things out. It makes sense. The dude is ten minutes from a suicide attempt. Davia has been pushing him to be in a much different place than he actually is. Alice, too, but I can't remember if Alice knows the whole story of what's been going on with him. She should still mind her own business, but it's not quite as bad if she thinks he's just shy or something vs understanding how extremely depressed he's been.

--

I am, however, with Alice on being grossed out that people pee in the pool.

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Dennis's support group cautioning him not to confuse gratitude for romantic love was a real kick in the conscience. I wish he would tell Davia, or Alice, or SOMEONE, that he's still sorting things out. It makes sense. The dude is ten minutes from a suicide attempt. Davia has been pushing him to be in a much different place than he actually is. Alice, too, but I can't remember if Alice knows the whole story of what's been going on with him. She should still mind her own business, but it's not quite as bad if she thinks he's just shy or something vs understanding how extremely depressed he's been.

Yes, but for my own viewing pleasure, these two should get together already! Hee, this latest obstacle to their romance actually makes plot sense, so I guess we're probably gonna have to wait until season 3. But I like these two so much! 

Isabella bugs me a LOT, she's been there like a week and is very much on purpose flirting with Raj. I mean if you're a good person who suddenly finds themselves crushing on your new roomate's bf you do make an effort to either uncrush or find new living arrangements. She seems to making an effort to put herself between him and Mariana instead... the only good think about this, is that I really like Mariana with her boss, so there's a higher likelihood of that happening now.

The engagement ring plot was such a cliché, saw the resolution coming a mile away. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I wish Callie had said, “Of course that’s one of the reasons I moved out.  Why would I want to live with a bunch of people that hate me and talk about me behind my back. Including the one person I thought was my friend, Malika, but who still talked bad about me and you Mariana who should have had my back but also made fun of me”. I think Callie still let Mariana off to easy. I also want the other girls to see the consequences of their actions. I mean this was over a mug that literally had Callies name on it.  It would have been different is Callie had been upset about a favorite cup that was shared. The other coterie girls just mean girled her over a personal object that she did not want to share. Mariana so deserves the single white female treatment she is going to get with Isabella. She is just too perfect not to be psycho.

i root for Dennis but I am having a hard time rooting for Davia because of the previous mean girl episode against Callie for no valid reason (in my opinion).  She needs a redemptive arc with Callie. Yes she was a good friend to Dennis but I would hope anyone would step up if their friend was that depressed and suicidal. 

Same on Davia.  She’s a jerk. It’s hard to root for her.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Seriously! Why would anyone want to live in communal living with people you knew were making fun of you behind your back? And just for having a mug with her name on it? Do you mean to tell me no one else in that whole place has a mug or a plate they like to call their own?

And there was another episode last season where you saw all the coterie women on a text chat without Callie. It was when Mariana found out Raj had never been circumcised. Now, I get that Callie doesn't really fit in with most of the others, but you can still be respectful of her. And Mariana should have defended her. Mariana should have defended her when Gael got all upset about Jamie buying his art too. I was glad when she moved out, and I probably wasn't supposed to think that.

The timeline on this show is weird.  So, the Christmas episode seemed to take place before last season's finale, since it was before Callie moved out. But this episode is only Valentine's Day, which is a pretty short timeline for all the things that have happened.

• Love 5

I guess I was the only one who thought the episode was nearly unwatchable. I stopped half way through it. I hated the cheesy sing along at the beginning, i knew it wasn't really happening but still hated. they might have changed writers or something. Does anyone else see a difference in the pace/direction of the show?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I guess I was the only one who thought the episode was nearly unwatchable. I stopped half way through it. I hated the cheesy sing along at the beginning, i knew it wasn't really happening but still hated. they might have changed writers or something. Does anyone else see a difference in the pace/direction of the show?

I thought the same thing. I skipped over the singing (the transition into it was garbage) and then almost immediately said, "I'm sorry, did I miss four episodes?" I know Davia was falling for Dennis but I never got the idea that he was anywhere near that point. But in this episode he was easily pushed into action by Alice (I'm thisclose to fast-forwarding through her scenes) and nervously practicing telling her he loves her? Did I miss something? It's possible I did.

And then Callie and Marianna discussing if Jamie was going to propose... didn't we already do this? Marianna stuck her nose in, which made Callie freak out, only to find out that he wasn't planning on proposing. At least this time Callie told him she wasn't ready and that they needed to discuss it way before he gets her a ring. I really like them together but I'm worried Gael is her endgame. He's not interesting or enjoyable to watch, unless he's with his family.

Then I was disappointed with how they dealt with Callie finally confronting Marianna about the Coterie Bitches thread. I've been waiting for it and almost worried they forgot about it. I wished Callie had chewed her out more because she was in the right on this one. She bit her tongue all these months (? I'm not following the timeline at all) but of course, Marianna is the victim. I did like the line about how maybe they're not best friends anymore, just sisters. That felt like the cold hard truth for them right now.

If Isabella isn't meant to cause major chaos (like more than a love triangle or whatever), she can go.

I feel bad for complaining so much; I've been enjoying the show. But this was an off episode for me.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, omgsowicked said:

I thought the same thing. I skipped over the singing (the transition into it was garbage) and then almost immediately said, "I'm sorry, did I miss four episodes?" I know Davia was falling for Dennis but I never got the idea that he was anywhere near that point. But in this episode he was easily pushed into action by Alice (I'm thisclose to fast-forwarding through her scenes) and nervously practicing telling her he loves her? Did I miss something? It's possible I did.

And then Callie and Marianna discussing if Jamie was going to propose... didn't we already do this? Marianna stuck her nose in, which made Callie freak out, only to find out that he wasn't planning on proposing. At least this time Callie told him she wasn't ready and that they needed to discuss it way before he gets her a ring. I really like them together but I'm worried Gael is her endgame. He's not interesting or enjoyable to watch, unless he's with his family.

Then I was disappointed with how they dealt with Callie finally confronting Marianna about the Coterie Bitches thread. I've been waiting for it and almost worried they forgot about it. I wished Callie had chewed her out more because she was in the right on this one. She bit her tongue all these months (? I'm not following the timeline at all) but of course, Marianna is the victim. I did like the line about how maybe they're not best friends anymore, just sisters. That felt like the cold hard truth for them right now.

If Isabella isn't meant to cause major chaos (like more than a love triangle or whatever), she can go.

I feel bad for complaining so much; I've been enjoying the show. But this was an off episode for me.

it was unwatchable I didn't bring it up because I thought it was obvious

• Love 1

I liked the episode a lot, but I agree that the singalong at the beginning was really stupid. I also don't get where Dennis suddenly developed these feelings for Davia that Alice knew about. When did that happen? 

Isabella is definitely shady, and trying to either ruin or takeover Mariana's life, and I am totally here for that soap opera messiness.

I really like Jamie and agree that he's too good for Callie, but I don't want him off the show 😞

Jamie noticed that Raj was obviously into Isabella, but Mariana didn't? She seems like the type of person who is insecure enough to be hyper aware of such things at all times, so I'm a little bothered that she's not noticing what's going on between them.

Everyone was super dressed up, but Malika was wearing her bathrobe.

Malika's boyfriend is hot as hell. 

• Love 4
On 2/14/2020 at 5:30 AM, alexvillage said:

I don’t think the writers have changed. I know one of the writers for the show, she has only written a few of the episodes, but has been with the show since the beginning. I do know that the first season one of the producers wrote a lot of the episodes, and the Christmas special, and now the rest of the writing team is doing more, but they were all involved the whole time. 

Mariana really had some nerve, not even acting remotely sorry when Callie confronted her about the girls all having a group chat without her and making fun of her in it, and I think Callie let her off too easy. Just being like "yeah sure I talked about you, but everyone does that its really your fault" isnt the way to apologize! No wonder Callie wanted to move, who wants to live in a place (a place that she didnt want to live in the first place and was totally blindsided by!) where people leave you out and make fun of you behind your back, including your own sister? 

The opening song was silly, I was seriously confused the whole time. 

Isabella is apparently trying to Single White Female Mariana, or keep creeping around any guy she happens to see, or something, I have no idea what her evil scheme is. Who is she, a villain in a soap opera? 

Marianas super dramatic "I didnt know he did magic!!!" freak out was hilariously dramatic, even for Mariana. I mean, damn girl he does some slight of hand tricks, you didnt find out that he was an actual wizard as he produced his Hogwarts graduation pictures. 

I am still interested in the potential for Dennis and Davia, but I agree with the support group that this isnt the right time for them to be in a serious relationship. It wasnt that long ago when Dennis was about five seconds from killing himself, and Davia seems to be most of his support system outside of the group, so maybe its a good idea to take it slow and make sure he isnt transferring his appreciation at her helping to save him from suicide into romantic feelings. Not that it for sure isnt romantic, but its something to be aware of. 

At least Callie was upfront with Jamie about the proposal, and its all out in the open. Neither of them seem ready for the proposal, so I am glad that it was a misunderstanding. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7

I just want to say, for the record, that I like Callie. I feel like I'm the only one who does.

Also, that swimming pool-- in fact the entire Coterie-- suddenly seems like it would be WAAAY out of budget for this group Weren't they rationing toilet paper? I don't know why I never thought about it, but the rent on that place would be astronomical.

• Love 2

Why does this show hate linear storytelling so much?  It doesn't have to be all flashbacks, flash forwards, snippets of scenes from nowhere.  At this point it just feels all affectation.

Also, I was looking forward to Callie finally telling Mariana about knowing about the snarky group chat.  Add me in as someone who was very disappointed in how that played out.  Mariana didn't even seem to feel a sense of shame or remorse or anything.  She talks a good talk about women having each others' back at work, but when it comes to her own sister she is a hypocrite.  I am kinda glad there is that space between them and am glad she is seeing a little glimmer of the consequences of that.

Isabella is an interesting catalyst type character.  I usually hate it when shows shoe horn this type of character in as an agent of change or chaos, but I actually kinda like Isabella.   I am still not sure she is Single-White-Femaling it.  Frankly, I would low key love it if she were just a super friendly pleaser type who just reads people well and simply tries too hard.  But still manages to derail all sorts of things.

I will say Ioved the Jamie-Callie-Gael dynamic here.  I loved that the shrooms' made a) Gael happy that Jamie brought his painting and b) gave us the Jamie/Gael Dirty Dancing tragic moment (in all the drama that me we howl).  Altho I call foul on those two little shrooms making  Gael trip so hard.  They looked about a gram  Unless they were super-charged, a gram only gives you a nice buzz. You need 3 for a good trip.

Re: Jamie/Callie.  I am really digging them as a couple.  I hope, hope, hope the show isn't trying to make Callie/Gael end game.  I want her and Jamie to make it work.

Meanwhile, as much as I wanted Davia and Dennis together I am not feeling their road to each other.  I agree Dennis admitting he loves Davia and is so ready to say it just feels out of left field.  I think they missed a bit of connective tissue there.

23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Marianas super dramatic "I didnt know he did magic!!!" freak out was hilariously dramatic, even for Mariana. I mean, damn girl he does some slight of hand tricks tricks, you didnt find out that he was an actual wizard as he produced his Hogwarts graduation pictures. 

This legit made me LOL.  I know right?

On 2/15/2020 at 1:42 AM, Zima said:

Everyone was super dressed up, but Malika was wearing her bathrobe.

I think everybody else was supposed to go out to various dates/restaurants and Malika was staying in.  But the blackout forced everyone to stay in.  I actually thought her robe was nice enough to be a dress!  I do like her and Isaac together.  So yay he said I love you!

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just want to say, for the record, that I like Callie. I feel like I'm the only one who does.

I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Callie's during the Fosters or for most of S1.  But I am enjoying her quite a bit this season. 

• Love 6

I honestly think they were trolling us with that scene of Callie, Gael, and Jamie all asleep in the same bed. Poly representation has been conspicuously absent from a show where the setting would tend to include it. And I legit think making them a throuple would be the best way to resolve the triangle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I honestly think they were trolling us with that scene of Callie, Gael, and Jamie all asleep in the same bed. Poly representation has been conspicuously absent from a show where the setting would tend to include it. And I legit think making them a throuple would be the best way to resolve the triangle.

They were mixing up their bait and switch with that shot - so we're supposed to believe Jaime and Gael had a fist fight followed by a threesome? lol. I was glad that they seemed to put that rivalry to bed, figuratively speaking. That whole misdirect about Gael being pissed that Jaime bought his art out of pity or whatever makes even less sense now.

Callie's ego could never handle a throuple. Gael and Jaime have chemistry, but everyone has to be fighting over Callie at all times. She gets off on having someone always pining for her. There's no way she'd let her two primary suitors have a romantic relationship with each other because she has to be in control.

So I guess Isabella is going full Jennifer's Body on everyone's man? Kind of a soapy character introduction, which is out of place for this show. And I'm with @Zima- why would Jaime of all people be the first to notice Raj's attraction to her? Why is Raj in such doubt over a woman he just met days ago? In real life, he'd just secretly jack off to the thought of her.

Mariana too - you're fantasizing about your boss who has shown repeatedly that he has zero interest (next episode might change that finally but still). Are she and Raj both awful in the sack? Why are they both so intensely horny for other people who don't know or care?

ENOUGH with Davia and Dennis. Are they into each other or not? And when did Dennis decide he's in love? It seemed like he was awkwardly avoiding Davia's crush for awhile. They have a horribly unhealthy relationship regardless.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Callie's during the Fosters or for most of S1.  But I am enjoying her quite a bit this season. 

I think Callie is better at this show than she was in the Fosters and not only because she is older now. I still think the writing is inconsistent most of the time but it seems more realistic in the sense that a real life 24 year-old would be living some of the same experiences they have Callie going through.

My problem really is with Maia Mitchell, which I think is the weakest link among the actors, although I don't think any of them stands out. This might explain why I perceive the writing as inconsistent, as if they are constantly trying to find something that Maia can do and act better as Callie. Not that there weren't good moments but in general I find her too uptight. Her accent is good though, at least I don't notice a lot of her Aussie accent.

I cannot make myself go back and finish watching this episode so is anyone willing to tell me the thing with Davia and Dennis? Did I miss anything before this episode about Dennis coming to the conclusion that he loves Davia? And what happened to them? 

22 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Mariana too - you're fantasizing about your boss who has shown repeatedly that he has zero interest (next episode might change that finally but still). Are she and Raj both awful in the sack? Why are they both so intensely horny for other people who don't know or care?

You think Evan has shown he has zero interest? I think they have been setting up him being into Mariana for quite awhile. 

22 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think Callie would be relieved not to have so much pressure on her, to choose between them. I don't really see her as an attention hog so much as someone who has trouble saying no and putting herself first.

I think Callie might want to try bineg in a trouple because she likes to think of herself as super liberal and accepting of alternate lifestyles. But, at the same time, she has always seemed to prefer one on one interactions with people than hanging out in groups.  On the Fosters, Mariana would have storylines involving groups of kids at school, and Callie would be off bonding with her current boyfriend or one of the Girls United girls. 

• Love 2

Ugh I'm so mad! Canada is one week behind so when you all were watching Fragility I should have been watching Palentine's Day. But guess what. It was Fragility. So then I waited a week thinking they'll figure out their mistake and play Palentine's Day next week. But no. It's Fragility again. You know, this wouldn't happen if they just played the episodes the same time as the U.S.!!!

Sorry for my rant. I'm just really pissed I missed this episode.