Type keyword(s) to search

The New Mutants (2020)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

This looks really good which I felt from the original trailer as well. I hope this does well because this could be interesting to pursue with sequels. I always wanted them to branch out because X-Men was basically Wolverine and Friends and later Mystique and Friends. Hopefully it's well promoted and does well so they don't just give up on this property.

Given its difficult development history, (including speculation it would go straight to streaming), who would have guessed that New Mutants is now the leading candidate for the first covid era (conditionally wide*) US theatrical release?

*Pretty sure New York state and California won't open theaters by then.

7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Is Unhinged not opening wide?

I forgot about that movie. I don't know.

But in reality, "open wide" will be a relative term for a while. With states like New York and California not allowing theaters to reopen yet, who knows when we'll even have a thousand screens.

8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Is Unhinged not opening wide?

They want it to but who knows if enough theaters will be open for it to qualify. AMC is only supposed to have 100 theaters open by the time Unhinged is released. It depends on how many theaters Regal and Cinemark have open. 

This was much better than I expected, given everything. Not great, but not close to being in the bottom five X-movies. That probably says more about the franchise though. I’m glad it was at least trying something different, and it was far better than Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix. And only 90 minutes!

Anya Taylor-Joy is a delight, and should get the chance to play more superheroes and supervillains. The Lockheed thing didn’t really work for me, but it was mostly worth the payoff.

The accents in this movie are a lot. Charlie Heaton as Sam is especially rough.

Was this originally supposed to be set in the early ’00s? There are a lot of indicators (the fashion, Buffy S4 DVDs on a CRT TV, Roberto seemed to have an old digital camera, the line about Dani being called Pocahontas a lot in fifth grade), but then near the end, Reyes just has an iPad.

Yet another almost reveal of

Spoiler

Mr. Sinister. How many did the franchise get to in total?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

Was this originally supposed to be set in the early ’00s? There are a lot of indicators (the fashion, Buffy S4 DVDs on a CRT TV, Roberto seemed to have an old digital camera, the line about Dani being called Pocahontas a lot in fifth grade), but then near the end, Reyes just has an iPad.

Magik also busts Dani's chops about Standing Rock, so it's present day (or a couple years ago, lol).  I think the Buffy DVDs and tube TV are just there to contribute to the feeling that this place had been forgotten for decades.

Otherwise, I agree that this was an enjoyable film.  I liked that it was mostly self-contained, and that the stakes felt specific for these characters.  I also think the quasi-horror tone and style were well suited to the subject matter.  Honestly, if this is the film that Fox (and/or Disney) has been sitting on for years (since as far I can tell, they never actually went through with any reshoots), then it's a real shame - I think it could have been reasonably successful before it became a "troubled project."  I guess if nothing else, at least this means that the Fox X-Films will at least officially go out on a more enjoyable note than Dark Phoenix - too bad it has to be under these circumstances.

• Love 4
On 8/31/2020 at 2:25 AM, Chyromaniac said:

Magik also busts Dani's chops about Standing Rock, so it's present day (or a couple years ago, lol).

Yeah, that line felt like something that they came up with on set, as it would have been topical at the time they were filming.

Well, I liked New Mutants. But thought it could have been a bit better, if the screenwriters and directors took more liberties in the R rated... oh, wait, it was PG-13 rated. Now it makes sense. Anyways, by a wide margin better then that snooze fest Dark Phoenix.

Since this finally appeared on HBOMax I decided to check it out. It wasn't the worst X-Men related movie but it was pretty boring. Not bad. Just boring. Didn't like the casting for Roberto (it's not that hard to find a dark skinned Brazilian actor damn it). And I actually enjoyed Anya Taylor Joy as Illyana once she was allowed to let loose with the sword. 

The movie being only 90 minutes should have made it go by faster and yet it still dragged. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, Illyana and Rahne at least look the part. Everything else...blech.

(it's not that hard to find a dark skinned Brazilian actor damn it)

Well, they couldn't even be bothered to get Sam's hair color right...

Edited by Hiyo

I've been a fan of The New Mutants for years and was excited to hear they were doing a movie.  My excitement quickly evaporated the more and more I heard about this film. I lost interest in seeing it.  Having just now seem it, it confirmed all my reservations about this film.  It us not a good movie.  It was poorly written, too small and contained with a weak villain.  This film and Dark Phoenix showed why the franchise needed to be taken away from Fox.  Marvel never would have produced mediocrity like that.

Among the biggest disappointments is the Dani Moonstar character.  Dani is a favorite of mine and in the comics, she is the Storm of the New Mutants.  A warrior, she is the badass, alpha leader of the team (even with her fear of the Demon Bear in the comics) and we see none of that here.  The actress has a weak voice, has no presence and seems trapped in an even crappies version of Twilight. 

I thought Maisie would be great casting as Rahne but I was wrong.  Her acting was poor and her accent is only slightly more convincing than Mike Myers Fat Bastard one.  Charlie Heaton is virtually nonexistent as Sam.  The character of Dr. Reyes, who apparently is the only person in this hospital, is a terrible villain as bad as Jessica Chastain is in Dark Phoenix.

Anya Taylor Joy as Illyana was the strongest thing in this movie.  She does a good job with what she is given, looks the part and Illyana/Magik is adapted to the screen fairly well.  I even liked what they did with Lockheed.  I hope she will one day return to the role in a Marvel movie but let's be honest, this is probably the only time she will ever play this character and Fox blew it.  Can you imagine an MCU adaptation of Inferno with Joy at the center of it?

I thought the actor playing Roberto managed to capture his comic counterparts cocky bravado pretty well.

I wish I could say I was just happy to see these characters on the big screen but as with Dark Phoenix,  Fox set the bar low and failed to exceed it.  I hope this won't be the last we see of The New Mutants.  I think Disney could make a great TV series based around the team.

• Useful 2