Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Run

• Start Topic

I know I have to leave logic at the door with this show but even so...I cannot let go of the way people roam around on an unknown planet on their own! There should be a buddy system at the very least even if they are within the safety fence. Go outside of the main camp, take a buddy.

• Love 2

Well there's a perimeter fence which is supposed to keep wildlife at bay. It's just that Judy disabled it and left the protected area.

I actually enjoyed the flashbacks, especially of little Judy reading her "my heroes" presentation and John getting all teary-eyed about it. I thought it was so cute he was mouthing the words along with her at first. I also liked getting a little backstory about Judy's biological father. We didn't really need it but I liked it anyway.

The stuff with Penny and VJ, not so much. Also, VJ? Reallly? I'm assuming that's short for Victor Junior but . . . VJ. Not a moniker I'd willingly wear.

Also, it's really stupid everyone is treating Will like some kind of super genius because was able to control ONE robot. They need a little perspective on that story. The robot was injured and Will helped repair it. It's not like he has some kind of magical power over all robots.

• Love 5

I liked the show.  I really liked the flashbacks to John/Judy.  The scene where young Judy is giving a speech about her hero (her bio-dad) and John is all proud, then his reaction when she flips and also claims him as her hero?  TS really sold that. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The stuff with Penny and VJ, not so much. Also, VJ? Reallly? I'm assuming that's short for Victor Junior but . . . VJ. Not a moniker I'd willingly wear.

It’s probably Vijay. It’s a common Indian name. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Also, it's really stupid everyone is treating Will like some kind of super genius because was able to control ONE robot. They need a little perspective on that story. The robot was injured and Will helped repair it. It's not like he has some kind of magical power over all robots.

His family has been treating him like a super genius all season. They really need to dial that back because he’s approaching Wesley Crusher levels of Mary Sue-ness. 

I liked the sappy stuff with Judy and John, tiny four year old Judy was adorable 😊 and I thought that present Judy running from the dinosaurs was a really good action sequence. In fact I appreciate this show doing exciting  action sequences in which no one is shooting at each other!

I liked Judy's 'dont you die on me you son of a bitch!' motivational speech as well.

Ah... Penny, you are not good at this.

Edited by Speakeasy
Corrections
  • Love 3

I agree, that classroom scene was beyond endearing.  I'm usually not a flashback fan but I thought these were done well and rounded out Jon and Judy's story a little.

I disagree with the premise of the trash compactor scene.  I feel like any organic waste on that ship should be going into a composting/nutrient recycling system.  It shouldn't be rotting away with plastic packaging and other non-smelly waste.  And any metals and plastic are valuable recyclables/raw materials for the colony.  They should be in a separate waste stream.

Regarding Smith, it's telling that when she doesn't immediately need Penny, she drops any pretense of interest in her.

Vijay is a sweet, gullible dweeb.

The alien velociraptors were interesting looking, and not bad for TV.  (I keep messing up velociraptor as ve-lost-iraptor.)

• Love 4

I liked this episode, the flashbacks to Judy and John were really sweet, especially the classroom one, there were so many cute things happening, like John proudly mouthing the words as little Judy did her presentation about her bio dad, and then him tearing up when she pulled out a poster about him as her hero as well, it was just really nice. I kind of forgot how pissed at John Judy was in the start of the show, so the last flashback of her being so cold to him was serious whiplash. Then the whole "dont you dare die on me" and her saying how she imagined their family would handle him dying, that was all really good and well played by the actors. 

Space dinosaurs! I was just saying how I was hoping that they would run into some alien life, and I wasnt disappointed! 

Penny and Vijay are kind of cute and I liked their little adventure, and I kind of love that they both suck at subterfuge. I mean, they are just random teenagers, and all of the training they've had and most of their experiences have been based more about survival and trying to outrun giant boulders or whatever.

• Love 5
On 1/2/2020 at 1:46 AM, MisterGlass said:

I disagree with the premise of the trash compactor scene.  I feel like any organic waste on that ship should be going into a composting/nutrient recycling system.  It shouldn't be rotting away with plastic packaging and other non-smelly waste.  And any metals and plastic are valuable recyclables/raw materials for the colony.  They should be in a separate waste stream.

This bugged me too, this is a small enclosed system, with cargo mass and energy at a premium, and they have the tech in their little space RVs to convert poo into rocket fuel, AND they must have some kind of recycling system and like a herb garden or something on the ship because otherwise WHAT WAS THE HORSE EATING? 😛

Regarding Smith, it's telling that when she doesn't immediately need Penny, she drops any pretense of interest in her.

Smith was genuinely creepy. I don't know that she would actually kill a couple of teenagers... But I don't know that she wouldn't.

That's a good use of the character because it's entirely believable she could run rings around a couple of well meaning meddling kids, no one needs to be dumb for her to be scary here.

Vijay is a sweet, gullible dweeb.

Aww, I felt for the guy when he came back and he was like 'did you think I was going to let you crushed? Seriously?!'

I mean Penny was close to getting crushed so you can't blame her for panicking, but still... That has to sting to know the girl you like thinks you'd leave her to get squished.

• Love 3
On 12/26/2019 at 11:58 AM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I know I have to leave logic at the door with this show but even so...I cannot let go of the way people roam around on an unknown planet on their own! There should be a buddy system at the very least even if they are within the safety fence. Go outside of the main camp, take a buddy.

That and as a astronaut family reading the short story  and watching the Twilight Zone episode of The Cold Equations should be mandatory. But plot armor is man's hardest substance.

• Love 2

I can't decide if the scene of Penny and Vijay getting trapped in the trash compactor is a ripoff of the Star Wars trash compactor scene or intended as a tribute. Similarly, the various dinosaur chase scenes in this and previous episodes are either ripoffs or tributes to Jurassic Park.  

• Love 2

IMO, this episode was the best of Season 2 so far.  The dinosaur action sequence was great but I enjoyed the flashback scenes with character background even more.  I also thought the writers were finally making some effort to clarify and move forward on the various storylines.  The earlier episodes of the season felt muted and muddled to me.

I absolutely loved the flashbacks of John and Judy. I teared up during the school presentation and during Judy's speech telling him that she would hate him if he gave up and left her. I loved this episode. It's my favorite so far. 

• Love 1

I also loved the flashbacks. I haven't always on this show, but these tied in nicely to the present-day storyline. I cried during Judy's don't you dare die speech and then when he finally got out and just wanted to look at her.

I thought the robot might swoop in and save her from the alien dinosaurs, but it was better that she figured a way out herself.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2019 at 12:07 PM, iMonrey said:

Also, VJ? Reallly? I'm assuming that's short for Victor Junior but . . . VJ. Not a moniker I'd willingly wear.

The boy's name is Vijay. That means, well, 'victor' in Hindi. And I think that one needs to be proud of one's heritage.

• Love 1

New details in this episode confused me.

1. Adler said that he had been travelling back and forth between Earth and Alpha Centauri*. I thought it was established in the earlier S1 episodes that the journey to Alpha Centauri was one way?
  2. Adler also said that it took him 3 months to travel. Alpha Centauri is located 4.37 light years from Earth. Did that mean that the Resolute travelling with faster-than-light velocity?
  3. So humanity had reached such a technological achievement that allowed interstellar travel and manipulation of gravity. Yet, just prior to departure they still drove internal combustion engine-powered Volvo V40?

*There are 3 stars in Alpha Centauri. Each with its own planetary system. Which planet exactly?

On 5/21/2020 at 1:18 PM, TV Anonymous said:

New details in this episode confused me.

1. Adler said that he had been travelling back and forth between Earth and Alpha Centauri*. I thought it was established in the earlier S1 episodes that the journey to Alpha Centauri was one way?
  2. Adler also said that it took him 3 months to travel. Alpha Centauri is located 4.37 light years from Earth. Did that mean that the Resolute travelling with faster-than-light velocity?
  3. So humanity had reached such a technological achievement that allowed interstellar travel and manipulation of gravity. Yet, just prior to departure they still drove internal combustion engine-powered Volvo V40?

*There are 3 stars in Alpha Centauri. Each with its own planetary system. Which planet exactly?

I presume that it's one way for the colonists, but not for the people running the ships. 

• Love 1