Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Beanie Babies

AgentRXS

CB hopes getting Lainey a Beanie Baby for Christmas will show his true feelings for her, but it doesn't go as planned. Meanwhile, Principal Glascott tries to convince Felicia that she needs to participate and sing a song in a Kwanza play he has written for the students.

17 hours ago, jmonique said:

Ronnie up there on stage, trying to blend in with the kids but looking like he's applying for AARP benefits after the concert, will never not distract me.

I'm sorry; who is Ronnie?

17 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I'm sorry; who is Ronnie?

The 35-year-old jock who got super excited about Boxing Day, and is in the far left of the front row of the choir at the end.

So do we think this will be the END of CB crushing on Lani, or that this is setting up for the inevitable Barry/Lani final FINAL breakup and for something to happen next season?

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 3

The original inclusive musical just killed me, I cant even explain it, but I was freaking dying watching it. The kids all wearing boxing gloves while Ronnie sung about Boxing Day set to eye of the tiger! The "whats up with Festivas?" song complete with all the kids wearing puffy shirts! The giant freaking Krampus head and all of the kids worshiping it in black cloaks! Just something that really hit me in the funny bone. 

I mean, Australia does have it a lot of its own Christmas traditions, mainly surrounding the fact that Christmas is in the summer in Australia, but I dont think there is actually a magical Kangaroo who gives bad kids expired Vegemite. Sadly. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I mean, Australia does have it a lot of its own Christmas traditions, mainly surrounding the fact that Christmas is in the summer in Australia, but I dont think there is actually a magical Kangaroo who gives bad kids expired Vegemite. Sadly. 

Tennisgurl, I think you know what you need to work on in the new year. 🙂  If Elf on the Shelf can become a "tradition," I think a magical Kangaroo could definitely become a "tradition." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Loved the inclusive holiday concert.  I am so over Lainey and Barry as a couple though.  Ugh.  I know that in real life Barry became a doctor but the character they've created is so moronic that him becoming a doctor is just ridiculous.  

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I know that in real life Barry became a doctor but the character they've created is so moronic that him becoming a doctor is just ridiculous.  

I almost think the writers have been reading fan comments somewhere, because I've always agreed with CB's assessment:  It's completely unbelievable that someone so moronic could become a doctor.  And I also have no interest in seeing Barry and Lainey as a couple anymore.

I guess we're supposed to root for Lainey and CB to get together?  And I am, I guess.  But some people are dead set against work relationships, I wonder how they feel about it.

• Love 3

Fuck Barry. I am so over him and his zero social skills and waffling between oblivious meathead and Good Guy just to tease out this multi-decade love triangle from hell. His characterization is so bad. Is he a shitty boyfriend or not? When they made my TV husband Mellor spew that nonsense monologue of Goldberg propaganda about Barry being the Coolest Dude Ever, I rolled my eyes into the fucking sun. In the hospital, he looked like a frat boy stealing medical records.

And how many variations are we going to get of "CB decides to make a move on Lainey but then runs into Barry and feels guilty and can't go through with it" because that's been like five episodes so far and remembering her relationship only seems to slow him down for a few episodes at most. I need a break because this plot just goes in circles. And Lainey hasn't even noticed or developed a crush yet, so there's not even tension.

I still have my childhood Beanie Baby collection! 

• Love 8

Too many good quotes about Barry. Who would go to a doctor like him? He's really irritating. When he called C.B. B.J. is probably the only time I thought he was funny. I wouldn't be sad if he took Lainey away with him forever. I know she's the central character that ties it all together but she's not that interesting or funny to me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Eataton said:

Who would go to a doctor like him?

He's a radiologist - they spend most of their time in a dark room reading medical images. The only time they see patients is when they're doing things like GI imaging (barium swallow, barium enema), joint injections, and imagining guided biopsies - and in that case the patient gets whichever radiologist is on duty during their appointment so there's not much choice when it comes to radiologists.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

And how many variations are we going to get of "CB decides to make a move on Lainey but then runs into Barry and feels guilty and can't go through with it" because that's been like five episodes so far

These Adam Goldberg shows are nothing if not repetitive. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

The problem is that the other characters are much better than Lainey and Barry combined.

I would have happily watched this show without the Lainey hook, if it had just been a spinoff of the teachers a decade later. Glascott and Mellor are my favorites, but I enjoy the other teachers as well. I like CB but not so much when he's pining for Lainey because the storyline is just going around in circles. Just let her dump Barry and date CB and lets get on with it. And more Mellor. There can never be enough Mellor. Though I much prefer Coach Mellor to Playing Dad Mellor. 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I like CB but not so much when he's pining for Lainey because the storyline is just going around in circles.

Not to  mention it makes him look like a schmuck.  Charlie Brown indeed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

It's nice to find a group here that aren't complete and total Barry / Barry&Lainey stans. I liked the relationship well enough for The Goldbergs but we already know they don't end up together and it makes sense that they aren't long term compatible. I agree with those that are tired of the same redundant plot point of CB loves Lainey, he's pining, he doesn't get how she's with Barry, he tries to win her heart, then is won over by Barry and bows out gracefully. Rinse and repeat. We're only midway through season 2 for goodness sakes. 

Just break up Lainey and Barry once and for all. I think that's a likely season finale and it's ramping up to that. The show would be better served if the characters, particularly the main two, could start building up an independent offshoot of the original show. I want to watch a CB/Lainey slow burn, not Lainey/Barry antics for the umpteenth time that lead nowhere. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, CharethCutestory said:

It's nice to find a group here that aren't complete and total Barry / Barry&Lainey stans. I liked the relationship well enough for The Goldbergs but we already know they don't end up together and it makes sense that they aren't long term compatible. I agree with those that are tired of the same redundant plot point of CB loves Lainey, he's pining, he doesn't get how she's with Barry, he tries to win her heart, then is won over by Barry and bows out gracefully. Rinse and repeat. We're only midway through season 2 for goodness sakes. 

Just break up Lainey and Barry once and for all. I think that's a likely season finale and it's ramping up to that. The show would be better served if the characters, particularly the main two, could start building up an independent offshoot of the original show. I want to watch a CB/Lainey slow burn, not Lainey/Barry antics for the umpteenth time that lead nowhere. 

Just hope it's not a cliffhanger..

I don't care how they do it, they just need to keep Barry off this show. He sucks and this show doesn't need him. Honestly, it really doesn't need any of the Goldbergs coming to visit. Keep them away. Sadly, the Goldberg characters are the worst part of their own show. Don't send them here to bring this show down. However, the JTP can come visit any time they want (without Barry). JTP!

In a weird world I'd rather watch a Matt Bradley/CB showdown for Lainey's heart than Barry/CB. I'd actually be torn if it were Matt Bradley, as I adore him and would feel far more invested in the outcome. As it is, I just want Barry to get run over by a truck so he'll be gone. I don't even care if Lainey and CB hook up I just want Barry to stop showing up, or being brought up, or basically existing in the Schooled universe. (no offense to the real Barry. I cannot imagine he is anywhere near as obnoxious as his TV counterpart. I don't think it's humanly possible for that to be true.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

As someone who taught school music in the 1990's, I can attest that coming up with a winter program that both included everyone and avoided upsetting anyone was pretty close to impossible. There weren't a lot of good options for Kwanzaa And not much better for Hanukkah-a lot of the songs were about like the "Boxing Day" one in this episode. I suppose I should be glad that no one ever demanded a Diwali Carol or that I include Krampus. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/18/2019 at 9:57 AM, dmmetler said:

It takes 13 years to become a full MD radiologist. Has it even been long enough in the timeline for that to be possible? 

Maybe Barry's a prodigy  😄