Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: RussFest

• Start Topic

As an AI professional, I have to make a public service announcement that the deus ex machina that saved the day isn't remotely possible currently. It's just as bogus as "middle-out compression" itself. The earlier part where Anton reasoned that the most efficient way to reduce buggy code was to delete it was a much more accurate reflection of the current state of the art.

I loved that Big Head memorized the entire SSH key just from looking at it once, I knew he has to be good at *something*. And "Bitchard" on both Jian Yang's and Monica's phones was low-brow but funny.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 15

Ants? Meh. It’s no dick-jerking algorithm, that’s for sure.

At least they decided against breaking the door down this time. (I guess that can best be attributed to Erlich’s absence.)

I’m not sure if I should be encouraged or dismayed that someone like Russ would want to be “woke.” 🤔 

I’m just ready for the series to be over. It was great for a while, but with only one episode left, odds are it is not going to end on a high note, quality-wise.

• Love 6

Gwart hates Puddle of Mud - she is a Linkin Park girl. LOL

This episode had a few good bits, and I am not talking about Russ Hannemann. Thanks for putting the tech part into perspective @chocolatine!

Someone needs to take down Jinjang in the final episode. And Laurie's schtick is getting old now too.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I hope that was the end of the Gwart sub-plot. 
It wasn't funny .... and so much time was wasted on it.

Agreed, but I did laugh at Jared thinking every pile of sweatshirts was Gwart.

Edited by rlc
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I hope that was the end of the Gwart sub-plot. 
It wasn't funny .... and so much time was wasted on it.

Agreed.

11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

As an AI professional, I have to make a public service announcement that the deus ex machina that saved the day isn't remotely possible currently. It's just as bogus as "middle-out compression" itself. The earlier part where Anton reasoned that the most efficient way to reduce buggy code was to delete it was a much more accurate reflection of the current state of the art.

I loved that Big Head memorized the entire SSH key just from looking at it once, I knew he has to be good at *something*. And "Bitchard" on both Jian Yang's and Monica's phones was low-brow but funny.

It would be awesome if there was a compelling show that was true to tech. The way this show treats tech is akin to science fiction.

4 hours ago, Aulty said:

Gwart hates Puddle of Mud - she is a Linkin Park girl. LOL

This episode had a few good bits, and I am not talking about Russ Hannemann. Thanks for putting the tech part into perspective @chocolatine!

Someone needs to take down Jinjang in the final episode. And Laurie's schtick is getting old now too.

I guess the only question is will Pied Piper end as a great success or failure. I wish we could of seen more competence from the guys. Now it almost feels like they fail into success.

Big Head’s plot was in an episode of Foster’s Home for imaginary Friends 

• Love 2

The only good thing about Gwart is it leads to some funny Jared lines and scenes, like her thinking every pile of garbage was her. And I really hope that someone can take Jinjang down in the last episode, I am so intensely over him and his bullshit. Its not even funny bullshit, its just...bullshit! 

Yeah, I know very little about AI, but I do not think it works that way at all. I did enjoy the giant Russ, and Russ and his many outfits. I went to an art exhibition over the summer that had a bunch of stuff from Burning Man, and I can get tech people love that festival so much. For a bunch of half naked people doing art in the dirt for days, it has a lot of tech stuff going on as well, especially with light displays and interactive exhibits. 

"Am I going to prison?!" "I can train you."

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

It would be awesome if there was a compelling show that was true to tech.

I don't know that that's possible - the day-to-day of tech, even "cutting edge" tech like AI, is pretty tedious. AI, at its core, is just applied math (current AI is based on statistics, linear algebra, and calculus/optimization; old-school AI was based on logic) - not the sort of thing that has wide appeal. 😁

• Love 4

Even if the AI did work, would they want to keep something running when they didn't even understand how it actually came together and functioned in the first place? Especially given the prior history Guilfoyle's AIs.

I am glad that the show didn't have Laurie suddenly and inexplicably turn into someone who would commit corporate sabotage; it would have been out of character, and the fact that everyone (especially Jared) would have believed that she would be a part of it was galling to me.

Anyway, some funny moments, but overall I echo the sentiments that this show has long overstayed its welcome and overplayed the "down on their luck, with a last minute save" shtick for these guys.

• Love 4

Hahaha, OF COURSE Russ got Crazy Town and Puddle of Mudd to play RussFest!

This song was inescapable in 2000/2001!

To be semi-serious for a minute (which I rarely am when it comes to this show), it makes sense to me that Russ wanted these bands at his festival. Chris the actor is 44 so I'm assuming that Russ the character is around the same age give or take a few years, which means Russ was in his 20s when these bands were popular. They remind him of when he was young and having fun.

I loved that Jared knew Gwart is a Linkin Park girl (and that he remembered exactly what time she has her daily artichoke snack).

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It was also a great bit of continuity - there was an episode in an earlier season where Russ had Butterfly playing on his car stereo.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I liked Puddle of Mudd, so I object to their inclusion in Russ’s favorite bands, LOL. I guess the writers felt Nickelback has gotten enough abuse over the years.

Random thought: I feel like outfit #2 may have been Native American-themed. There are lots of possibilities, but that’s what my gut is telling me. At least Russ had the awareness to suspect it (whatever it was) had the potential to be problematic.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

To be semi-serious for a minute (which I rarely am when it comes to this show), it makes sense to me that Russ wanted these bands at his festival. Chris the actor is 44 so I'm assuming that Russ the character is around the same age give or take a few years, which means Russ was in his 20s when these bands were popular. They remind him of when he was young and having fun.

I loved that Jared knew Gwart is a Linkin Park girl (and that he remembered exactly what time she has her daily artichoke snack).

Russ is Gen X and his line up was perfect, because it was probably some of the worst that generation has to offer.

4 hours ago, link417 said:

I liked Puddle of Mudd, so I object to their inclusion in Russ’s favorite bands, LOL. I guess the writers felt Nickelback has gotten enough abuse over the years.

Random thought: I feel like outfit #2 may have been Native American-themed. There are lots of possibilities, but that’s what my gut is telling me. At least Russ had the awareness to suspect it (whatever it was) had the potential to be problematic.

I think Limp Bizkit would have been a better choice than Puddle of Mudd. You know Russ was probably a die hard Fred Durst fan back in the day.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I am a lot younger than Russ, and I owned the Butterfly single CD.

I actually only threw it out a few weeks ago along with a box full of other 'what was I thinking' CDs when I was clearing out the attic. I can't even remember if I bought that myself or if it was my sister's ... nah it was definitely me sister's 😄

Edited by Aulty
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, qtpye said:

Russ is Gen X and his line up was perfect, because it was probably some of the worst that generation has to offer.

I think Limp Bizkit would have been a better choice than Puddle of Mudd. You know Russ was probably a die hard Fred Durst fan back in the day.

Durst is trash, but y’all . . . “Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water” was a great album!

LOL, I should be worried that Russ and I have more in common than I initially thought.

@Aulty: I have so many “What was I thinking” CDs! Thank goodness for the proliferation of digital music in the marketplace or I would be surrounded by CD towers of shame. 💿 

• LOL 3

I loved this show so much The first Season I watched it twice. Then I throughly richard was handsome, sweet and nerdy. 
the bizarre dweeb he’s become had no resemblance. Similarly monica was a sweet corporate type- and there was even chemistry.

and yeah the dick mathematics was hilarious. 

well live in new reality.

i did laugh at Jared’s let me speak- as if she were speaking with her eyes. And she must be because he is certainly communicating with her. He does see her - the way nobody else can. 

I want the show to end with a win. The huge hologram did crack me up. 

• Love 4
On 12/4/2019 at 1:06 AM, link417 said:

Durst is trash, but y’all . . . “Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water” was a great album!

LOL, I should be worried that Russ and I have more in common than I initially thought.

@Aulty: I have so many “What was I thinking” CDs! Thank goodness for the proliferation of digital music in the marketplace or I would be surrounded by CD towers of shame. 💿 

Small voice- Chocolate Starfish can be fun.

• LOL 1