Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E19: Live Top 11 Performances

• Start Topic

Airs November 25, 2019

The Top 11 artists perform live in front of coaches Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani for America's vote; this week's theme is fan week, and the artists will perform songs selected by fans.

7 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Blake compared Kat Hammock to Bob Dylan. Yes, he did. Favorably. Not jokingly. She did proceed to sing off-key, but I don't think that what he meant.

Goodbye forever, The Voice.

Yes, I noticed that and lol! I doubt she knows who Dylan is though. I wasnt impressed by her vocals at all. Very confused how she's there.

• Love 3

It's not her fault, but Kat reminds me of the character Daveigh Chase played on the show "Big Love".  Her look, her voice...all of it says underage polygamist wife to me.  In any case, she was very off-key toward the end of her song.

It doesn't help that the same actress played Samara in The Ring, lol.

dc2.jpg

Edited by leocadia
ETA: pic was way too big!!
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, leocadia said:

It's not her fault, but Kat reminds me of the character Daveigh Chase played on the show "Big Love".  Her look, her voice...all of it says underage polygamist wife to me.  In any case, she was very off-key toward the end of her song.

It doesn't help that the same actress played Samara in The Ring, lol.

dc2.jpg

That's amazing. I was just posting about ghis character a few days ago. I get what you mean. I think the singer on Big Love was better. Lol

• Love 3

I liked Ricky and Rose a lot tonight. Those were probably my two favorites.

Marybeth shouted a lot. she sounded nice outside of the chorus, but when that chorus hit things got rough. I was surprised John said multiple times what a great fit the song was. 

Hello Sunday's arrangement was rough. It sounded like when Kelly referenced Lauren Hill that she may have actually sampled Doo W** (That Thing). That was a little distracting. Overall I've never cared for that songs melody and messing with it didn't help.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I liked Ricky and Rose a lot tonight. Those were probably my two favorites.

Marybeth shouted a lot. she sounded nice outside of the chorus, but when that chorus hit things got rough. I was surprised John said multiple times what a great fit the song was. 

Hello Sunday's arrangement was rough. It sounded like when Kelly referenced Lauren Hill that she may have actually sampled Doo W** (That Thing). That was a little distracting. Overall I've never cared for that songs melody and messing with it didn't help.

Yes, tonight was Marybeth's worst performance - there were several clinkers in the chorus.  I hope she can pull it out as she has been pretty consistently good until now.

I think the problem with Hello Sunday is they have several songs in their repertoire that they have rehearsed to death.  When they are thrown a curve ball (a song they don't know) they don't have the experience to pivot.  This is where their age shows.   They are talented but NOT ready for this.

4 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Blake compared Kat Hammock to Bob Dylan. Yes, he did. Favorably. Not jokingly. She did proceed to sing off-key, but I don't think that what he meant.

Goodbye forever, The Voice.

I think he was TRYING to say that Bob Dylan became a great success even though he did not have a great voice.  Unfortunately, we do NOT know that Kat is a great songwriter so we are just left with her not great voice.  Surprisingly, this was actually one of her better performances, not good, but at least the off-key notes weren't as bad as the ones in "Danny Boy."

• Love 2

I wish I enjoyed Katie Kadan as much as the show wants me to. At any rate, her fan club takes the prize for best tee shirt graphic. I'm shallow enough to want that tee shirt! And I do envy her collection of eyeglass frames.

Kat Hammock was probably the best choice to follow Katie, since she's got the total opposite type of voice, and always gives a lowkey performance. Kind of like a palate cleanser, so I was perhaps a lot more receptive than I otherwise would have been.

Will is someone who I do like solely based on his performances, even though show never misses an opportunity to remind me that he's diagnosed with Asperger's. (BTW did you know that he's been diagnosed with Asperger's?)

I'm not completely a monster though--I did feel my little grinch heart grow a size when they showed his fan mail from people who were inspired by him.

I laughed at Blake's "Dylan" comment, and then his (and John's) over-the-top praise : having industry professionals already asking about Ricky (Blake) and how Ricky should be one of the coaches (John). I wonder how many people were dissuaded from voting for him because of that.

Was he good? Sure, but it wasn't as memorable as some of his earlier performances. TBF, It was also in the pimp spot, so my expectations were automatically higher.

I was totally distracted by what Gwen was wearing during her mentoring. Who IS her homeboy, lol?

• Love 3

I know this is likely just me, but I have a problem with people covering Eric Carmen. It's like covering Whitney, it's dangerous ground. And it was a fail for me. 

The Kat kid was screechy and way off key. I winced and I'm just about tone deaf. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Do you know what is really starting to annoy the hell out of me?  When they go to the coaches for a few words after one of the singers perform, if it was someone on Gwen's team they always go to Blake for a few words and if it's someone from Blake's team they always go to Gwen for a few words.  (Who then says something stupid like "I love you, you are so pretty and you are only 15 years old.") 🙄

It was so obvious last night that even Blake himself was caught off-guard last night when Carson went to him for his thoughts on Will after he sang.  Me??  You want me to talk???  But Will isn't on Team Gwen!  Was I supposed to be paying attention??

And yeah, getting through a Kat Hammond song is a damn chore.  I just keep waiting for it to be over because her songs seem to take forever to get through.  I think it's because she sounds the exact same through the entire song.  I loved her Kiss Me by Sixpence performance but her singing style got real old really fast.  I swear by the look on her face when she is singing even she just wants it to be over soon. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I thought the performances weren't nearly as good as those I had seen before. I've just been catching them sporadically,. I don't have a favorite at all, but, I do think I have a least favorite after last night. It's that girl that sounds like Bob Dylan. lol 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I thought Rose, Katie and Ricky were the best of the night. 

I was surprised by how many of the others had control problems, including Marybeth and Jake, who normally next to impeccable.

The two performances that made me wince the most were Kat and Will.  Kat was once again all over the place, while Will managed to ruin a great song by getting stranded somewhere between The Doors version and the Jose Feliciano version.  I like Kat and Will on a personal level, but their voices are beginning to drive me up the wall.

Having said that, I still think Shane Q should be the one going home.  Once again he's given a whole lot of nothing.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Do you know what is really starting to annoy the hell out of me?  When they go to the coaches for a few words after one of the singers perform, if it was someone on Gwen's team they always go to Blake for a few words and if it's someone from Blake's team they always go to Gwen for a few words.  (Who then says something stupid like "I love you, you are so pretty and you are only 15 years old.") 🙄

It was so obvious last night that even Blake himself was caught off-guard last night when Carson went to him for his thoughts on Will after he sang.  Me??  You want me to talk???  But Will isn't on Team Gwen!  Was I supposed to be paying attention??

THANK YOU! This...so much this. It is nails-on-a-chalkboard infuriating. UGH!!!

I may have missed something in her intro package, but unless Kat's fan base is all over 50, I cannot imagine how or why they would possibly choose "I'll Fly Away" as her performance song.  This makes NO sense and seems completely bogus.  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I wish I enjoyed Katie Kadan as much as the show wants me to. 

Will is someone who I do like solely based on his performances, even though show never misses an opportunity to remind me that he's diagnosed with Asperger's. (BTW did you know that he's been diagnosed with Asperger's?)

I'm not completely a monster though--I did feel my little grinch heart grow a size when they showed his fan mail from people who were inspired by him  pug, Oscar.

Fixed it for you! 😉

Just to clarify, he’s been diagnosed with Asperger’s, right? (I’m so mean, I know.) He’s a decent singer, but the endless attention seeking antics are enough to cancel any talent I may have thought he has. He’s fishing for a girlfriend and it’s not only super obvious, but I find it to be pretty cringe worthy.

I just hope he doesn’t refer to any potential dates as “Man” like he did to Kelly last Monday. 

I thought Katie had a great blind audition, but after that initial performance, I have continued to fast forward through 98% of her stage time. 

• Love 2