Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Chapter Sixty-Three: Hereditary

Bort
  • Start Topic

As Archie struggles to keep the neighborhood kids away from Dodger’s influence, he turns to an unexpected ally for help. Jughead uncovers a mystery surrounding the author of the Baxter Brothers books, while Betty confronts Charles about his past. Finally, Veronica deals with a major shake-up at home, and Cheryl and Toni get some unexpected visitors at Thistlehouse.

Airdate: Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Well, that's a wrap for Sam Witwer as Mr. Chipping, I guess.  Surprised he didn't end up being bad like I thought he would, but he was kind of squandered here more or less.  I'm hoping he has something else lined-up, since he's always great to watch.  And now he's being replaced by Dupont, the "original" writer of the Baxter Boys, who is clearly going to carry quite a grudge towards Jughead over it being suggested it was actually Jughead's grandfather who wrote the first book instead.  Fun!

I swear, I can never figure out why Veronica doesn't just cut ties with her nutty family for good, unless it's really all about the money.  Hermione lasts barely a few hours being "independent" from Hiram, before falling back into bed with him.  Meanwhile, it seems clear that Hermosa/Veronica's half-sister has basically been told the same sweet nothings from dad that Veronica has heard all of her life, only she has embraced Hiram's lifestyle instead of rebelled.  Seriously, just run away from this crazy family, Veronica!

Speaking of crazy, nice to see Cheryl certainly hasn't regain her insanity any time soon.  And it looks like Toni is just getting even deeper with her in this wild and twisty journey through Crazytown!

Of course, Charles and Chick are actually working together, and are probably going to try and pull one over on Betty, Alice, and F.P.  Good luck, guys!

Dodger figures out Archie's "secret identity" pretty easily and causes more trouble, only for his beaten body to be found outside the gym, right after Archie pleaded with Hiram to help "take care of him."  Hmm...

• Love 6

Question 1:  Why do so many people want to search Thistle House like there is a buried treasure and not at least one zombie body.   Wait! Is there a buried treaure in Thistle House?

Question 2:  Why would Archie ever (and I mean EVER) go to Hiram for help?  Then again is problems with the local thug are gone.  BUT I IS HIRAM!!!! Archie would be better off just challenging the dude to a fight for all the teenagers.

Question 3:  Charles and Chic?  Really.  Ok.  I do kind of dig it.  It works with the Dark Betty and her family is just nuts plot.   So yeah this is still my favorite story.  I ship it.

Question 4:  Is no one going to call an ambulance when a teacher falls out a window.  I continue to question exactly what kind of whacked out school Jughead is going to.  Although we now know his new teacher is going to have a grudge against him for either being poor or being a good writer.

Question 5:  Why is Veronica staying with her parents again?   She has a pretty good thing going for herself.   Has good friends.  A hot of boring boyfriend.   Is her father essentially right?   Jealousy?   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

Even when they're in the right this show writes Betty and jughead with such an air of entitlement that its hard to root for them... Betty is again all up in Charles'  business having him take a polygraph.. And I know the show will have her be right.. Like she was with chick.. But it doesn't negate that her methodology is all outta wack...  And Jug man.. Summoning the author of the books to accuse him of plagiarism and then going to Mr. Chipping and demanding he help even tho it may harm the school and him personally... Smh

• Love 5

Honestly, if I were Veronica, I'd just move out. I'm sure Archie and Mary would gladly take her in, It's ridiculous every single time that Veronica has a spat with her family and declares that she's done with them, she...still never leaves. So clearly, Veronica cares more about keeping her money than she does for getting away from her toxic family. Plus, I'm really done with her family stuff. Her half sister is grating and I don't see her bringing anything new to Veronica's storyline. 

2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Question 2:  Why would Archie ever (and I mean EVER) go to Hiram for help?  Then again is problems with the local thug are gone.  BUT I IS HIRAM!!!! Archie would be better off just challenging the dude to a fight for all the teenagers.

I can absolutely see why. He only went to Hiram when his mother almost got shot and killed. If he hadn't come home at that exact time, perhaps Dodger's gang would have shot up the house anyway and would have hit Mary. Archie just lost his dad, so I can absolutely see his reasoning to go to Hiram as a last resort. Archie even said that he went to FP but knew FP wouldn't do a damn thing to help him. And with Hiram coming earlier in the episode to offer his condolences and offered up money to help him, I can see why he went to Hiram at the end of the episode. That's probably the only thing that made sense in this episode.

The Betty/Charles stuff is weird. Now we have evil Charles who's in a relationship with Chic? Why? It's totally nuts. I'm not feeling it yet.

The Jughead stuff is dragging a little bit. I don't mind it, but now we got super evil author who's the new teacher after Mr. Chipping threw himself out of a window for....reasons? 

The Cheryl family stuff is ridiculous enough but now we get introduced to some crazy aunts and uncles. Toni needs to have a plot outside of Cheryl's crazy. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Toni needs to have a plot outside of Cheryl's crazy.

Lord yes.. And now she's probably murdered someone protecting that snobby loon... Smh who's out here telling the showrunners that this is a good plot and its working? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The only thing that would have been actually shocking would be if Charles actually was on the up and up. Of course he and Chick are together and are involved in some kind of evil plot to...I have no idea what their endgame could be. Do the Coopers have some money they can steal? Does Charles want revenge on Alice for giving him up? Or are they just another batch of crazies doing crazy stuff?

So Hermione was independent for all of five seconds before jumping back into bed, literally and figuratively, with Hiram. Sometimes I wonder why Veronica even deals with her crazy family, this will always be how things end up! 

So Jughead finds out that his grandfather was the original brilliant, game changing, politically relevant visionary writer of a Hardy Boys knock-off that this entire school was built on. Seems kind of weird, but this whole school is really weird. Maybe Jughead could have handled this all a bit better than "hey most important guy in school, your a lying liar who lies about his writing!" with his only evidence being that the writing style in one book is similar to one short story he wrote. All the guy had to say was that his writing style changed as he got older and he was inspired by FP 1, its not exactly a smoking gun. The biggest shock was that Mr. Chipping was apparently not a bad guy, even if he didnt last very long. All the students just sitting there starring he jumped out the window was just...is this just something that happens frequently at this school? Or did everyone expect this to happen? 

So the key to saving the troubled youth of Riverdale is pizza and video games? Honestly, its probably the most realistic part of the show in ages. 

Toni is getting drawn further and further into the Blossom crazy web of crazy. 

With Jughead at this prep school, the main characters all seem so distant from each other. Like, someone shoots at Archie and his mom, but we dont get any scene of him talking to Jughead and Betty about it, or them asking if he is ok? Betty/Jughead and Veronica/Archie practically seem to be in different shows, and even the individual plots of all of them are basically on their own, with the only ties being Jughead and Betty and Veronica and Archie just talking about their respective subplots. With the Thistle House horror show, it almost feels like this is several different shows that are only slightly connected, instead of one show. I always prefer seeing characters interacting with each other, so I hope we can start coming together soon.

• Love 7

I was actually shocked over the Charles/Chic reveal because I recently viewed a Lili Reinhart interview and I could have sworn she said Charles was not a villain. I might have misinterpreted but I wonder if it's possible Charles is playing Chic? I only bring this up due to the interview. Who knows. 

Edited by Auror
  • Useful 3

Riverdale is turning into one of those teen Netflix movies where there are five simultaneous storylines and none of the characters actually interact and/or know each other. I’m puzzled as to why TPTB believes this is a working formula. If you can’t think of any reasons why your main characters should be involved with each other outside of dating X person, I see that as a problem. I’m hoping this Jughead storyline is what’s able to connect to ...something...but it’s taking too long. We are nearly to the midseason finale, lol, and Jughead and Archie, for example, don’t even act like friends or interact enough for there to be some depth to Jug’s story.

• Love 4

My favourite part was when Jughead's teacher saw the monster from Bird Box and violently flung himself out the window. My second favourite part was being told (reminded?) that Betty's fake, evil brothers are boning, because of course they are.

My least favourite part was that Toni's still in this relationship, even when there's a corpse in the house and she has to help her girlfriend imprison a haunted doll instead of going to school. I guess she doesn't have anywhere else to go?

I'm 100% against trying to declare women crazy so you can steal their stuff, but I also feel like maybe Cheryl does need a psychiatrist.

12 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Even when they're in the right this show writes Betty and jughead with such an air of entitlement that its hard to root for them... Betty is again all up in Charles'  business having him take a polygraph.. And I know the show will have her be right.. Like she was with chick.. But it doesn't negate that her methodology is all outta wack...  And Jug man.. Summoning the author of the books to accuse him of plagiarism and then going to Mr. Chipping and demanding he help even tho it may harm the school and him personally... Smh

Word. I also don't see who it helps to expose whatever plagiarism happened. Like, it's premature to be that confrontational when all you have is a story written under a pen name and no other details about something that happened decades ago (and when your argument is "the tone is really similar" WTF) -- but also, if the school's funding is built on this, Jughead's grandfather isn't in the picture anymore, and this other dude did write 4/5 books himself, the point of exposing him now is... what? Who benefits from it?

I find it hard to buy into this as a moral truth-telling crusade when we don't even know what happened.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Question 1:  Why do so many people want to search Thistle House like there is a buried treasure and not at least one zombie body.   Wait! Is there a buried treaure in Thistle House?

Maybe the Knights Templar buried the Ark of the Covenant there.  Wait a minute, wrong TV show...

15 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I love Betty and Jughead, but I can't refute your point.

Honestly, If I was Jughead, I would have left that school after they locked me in the coffin.  And I certainly wouldn't stick around now that the author I've just made into an enemy is now running my class.                                    

11 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Riverdale is turning into one of those teen Netflix movies where there are five simultaneous storylines and none of the characters actually interact and/or know each other. I’m puzzled as to why TPTB believes this is a working formula. If you can’t think of any reasons why your main characters should be involved with each other outside of dating X person, I see that as a problem.

That is a really good point.  There's a similar problem on The Walking Dead, where the main characters all get separate storylines instead of being together.  They're not playing to their strengths here.  The only thing that makes me not want to care is that I have little use for the Archie character, so I'm fine if he's isolated out on his own plot away from the rest of the core four.  They can only bring him in to have sex with Veronica lol.

• Love 3

One night with Hiram and Hermione is all over him.

Honestly can't blame her--DAMN, Mark, I'd like to thank you personally, you know? I bet when Marisol got her sides for this scene she danced around her living room.

As much as I want Veronica to tell this entire clown car to drive off a cliff with her blessing, I unfortunately see an actual psychological reason for her to not to be able to walk away. Remember, she has been raised by these codependent teleporting lunatics (seriously, how many damn places has Hiram lived/formed criminal empires in by now???) and her wiring is pretty much set, no matter how much insight she has and how consciously she rebels.

She can't bear, any more than the Dreadful Hs can, to let her competition/supposed beloved family member "win." Even though she's going to have to drop her end of the rope in this tug of war to ever really be free or happy. Hermosa (if she's not just some chick Hiram hired for his nutjob game playing) can just have the whole ball of wax and Ronnie can keep running improbable businesses and donating thousands of dollars worth of product to Archie's latest ridiculously shortsighted scheme. Of course Hiram will double down because--Hiram, but really. Ronnie. He's not worth it.

Speaking of Archie's latest twirling in place, that seemed like pretty much a lot of placeholding until Dodger turned up next to the dumpsters. I assume this was him having his boys beat him up and plant him as evidence so Archie can go on trial for the fiftieth time and he gets his runners back.

OF FUCKING COURSE Charles and Chic are secret lovahs--although the idea of being intimate with Chic makes all the skin crawl off my body. Nice that that murdered guy wasn't completely forgotten, though. 

The theme of the episode in general seems to be "Oh my GOD just get out of there already" and Cheryl and Jug fall right in line. While Cheryl at least has always been written as coo coo for Cocoa Puffs, just knowing your grandpa wrote some book a thousand years ago seems kind of a reach for Jug's passion for justice, you know? Yeah yeah, class war and life work stolen or whatever, but frankly Forsyth the First had FUCKING DECADES to do something about this if he really wanted to. There was absolutely no reason for Jug to poke this snake ball of privileged assholes except further melodrama. 

• Love 6
On 11/14/2019 at 9:33 AM, UNOSEZ said:

Lord yes.. And now she's probably murdered someone protecting that snobby loon... Smh who's out here telling the showrunners that this is a good plot and its working? 

#Choni fans don't care. Seriously, they don't. It's all about how sexy they look together and stuff.

Seriously, why does Veronica's half-sister look like a 40-year old divorce who used her alimony on bad filler?

My second favourite part was being told (reminded?) that Betty's fake, evil brothers are boning, because of course they are.

Wyatt Nash and Hart Denton are hot so I'm feeling the thought of them boning. (I can't help it, damned if I don't love myself some blond pretty boys, although I would say Wyatt Nash is closer to the type I'm into. I do like Hart for the Blond Dave Franco vibes, though.)

• Love 1

I really don't think that Alice has any right to say 'How could you?!?' to Betty....like at this point she should just shut up and sit down......she may have been undercover....but she still drained all of Betty's accounts and stole all her money for her own end.