Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E16: Live Top 20 Eliminations

• Start Topic

Airs November 12, 2019

Eight artists are revealed as safe by America's votes, and the coaches each select an artist to save; the remaining artists from each team with the highest overnight vote have a chance to compete for the wild card, and one artist will move on.

Blake trying to game the system was a very poor decision. Losing Gracee hurts. I like her vibe.

I don't understand Jake's song choices yesterday or today. His voice is incredible, specifically for that shredding quality and the song yesterday and the one tonight completely failed to show that off. He sounded average when he is anything but. 

Kelly picking Shane when Damali and Hello Sunday were right there was crazy. Hello Sunday dresses like a classy Jojo Siwa but sing old lady songs. It's a problem branding wise. Who is their audience? To pre-teens want Eric Carmen? Do adults want rainbow sparkles? I think they have an incredible gift and I'm glad they advanced but I worry about how they'll do in the real music market.

• Love 3

Who won the sing-off? I turned off my TV after the two girls were voted into the sing-off.

So Ricky Braddy didn't go through, but Kat Hammock did. All righty. That's why I usually stop watching about this point--because the world as I know it just stops making a little more sense the longer I watch.

Also, I think John Legend was surprised that Marybeth made it through. I think he expected Kate and Will, and then he was going to pick Alex. Oh, and remind me again: Who is Marybeth Bird? I'm drawing a blank.

ETA: I'm glad Shane was selected. Maybe Kelly figured the 2 girls would have a good shot at the audience vote. Or maybe she figured they were CHILDREN and they had had a good experience on the show, and they'd be fine, whereas Shane needed to continue and get that little extra bit of exposure and experience. If so, good on ya', Kelly.

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, adhoc said:

Also, I think John Legend was surprised that Marybeth made it through. I think he expected Kate and Will, and then he was going to pick Alex. Oh, and remind me again: Who is Marybeth Bird? I'm drawing a blank.

I had the exact same reaction.  Whatever Marybeth sang (last night - I must be getting old) obviously didn't make much of an impression on me.

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

Hello Sunday dresses like a classy Jojo Siwa but sing old lady songs. It's a problem branding wise. Who is their audience? To pre-teens want Eric Carmen? Do adults want rainbow sparkles?

I thought they didn't do justice to the Adele song and REALLY hated their save song tonight.  I think they are talented but they seem to be falling apart.  You could be right that it's song selection - what the hell are two 14 year olds doing singing  "All by Myself"?  At least the fact that they needed the save gives me hope we won't have to hear them much longer.  (On another note, I think the twitter save is extremely stupid.  Not only are they are saying people in the other time zones don't count but they're also saying actual voting doesn't count either.  And has anyone ever come back from a save and won?  If you can't get the votes, you can't get the votes.)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, adhoc said:

What is that... that... that...  garment Kelly is wearing? 😲

Looked like the answer to the question "Can you make a dress from a Hefty bag and some glitter?"

She and Gwen together made quite an eyeful, and not in a good way. Maybe the producers' way of distracting us from the stupid and inexplicable but wholly predictable voting results. Kat Hammock in, Ricky Braddy out? I think I'm done, show.

And the double irony of TWO 14-year-old girls singing "All By Myself"!  I mean, they changed the "making love" lyric, but did no one notice the first line is "When I was young...…"

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I thought America mostly got it right, with the singular exception of Team Blake where I thought Gracee should have been in the Top 2.  Meanwhile the coaches mostly got it wrong.

15 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I had the exact same reaction.  Whatever Marybeth sang (last night - I must be getting old) obviously didn't make much of an impression on me.

I thought they didn't do justice to the Adele song and REALLY hated their save song tonight.  I think they are talented but they seem to be falling apart.  You could be right that it's song selection - what the hell are two 14 year olds doing singing  "All by Myself"?  At least the fact that they needed the save gives me hope we won't have to hear them much longer. 

Marybeth sang Ellie Goulding's "Love Me Like You Do" and got a standing ovation from all four coaches.  In my opinion it was one of the best vocal performance of the evening - perhaps one of the top 3.  She managed to capture the breathiness that Ellie puts into the original, while at the same time showing considerable more power than Ellie ever could.  It seems a lot of voters agreed with me.  But judge for yourself:

As for Hello Sunday, I agree that their song choices are more than questionable.  But I do think their Wild Card performance was considerably better than what they did with that Adele song on Monday night.  Though I might have voted for Alex, I can see why voters put them through.  I just hope they do more contemporary songs in the future.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, viajero said:

I thought America mostly got it right, with the singular exception of Team Blake where I thought Gracee should have been in the Top 2.  Meanwhile the coaches mostly got it wrong.

Marybeth sang Ellie Goulding's "Love Me Like You Do" and got a standing ovation from all four coaches.  In my opinion it was one of the best vocal performance of the evening - perhaps one of the top 3.  She managed to capture the breathiness that Ellie puts into the original, while at the same time showing considerable more power than Ellie ever could.  It seems a lot of voters agreed with me.  But judge for yourself:

As for Hello Sunday, I agree that their song choices are more than questionable.  But I do think their Wild Card performance was considerably better than what they did with that Adele song on Monday night.  Though I might have voted for Alex, I can see why voters put them through.  I just hope they do more contemporary songs in the future.

After watching the clip (thanks for that) I agree that Marybeth delivered a solid performance. 

I thought Hello Sunday's performance was rangier but I didn't think their harmonies were as tight as they have been in the past.  I think cuteness was a big factor in them getting voted through - another reason why I don't like that they got rid of the age limit.  Something about them just feels Disney to me.  If I want that I can just watch the Disney channel.  

• Love 1

Just finished watching and cannot believe Kat was voted through.

I liked Alex and Jake more than some of the ones that was voted through.

Did not like what Gwen or Kelly was wearing. I think Kelly looked the best in the black dress she had on when she was with Taylor Swift.

• Love 1

I've been  been watching this season on Hulu the next day, show is so much better when you can fast forward through everything except performances.

I wonder if some of the eliminated singers got more votes than many who stayed since they gave an automatic pass to 2 highest on every team. 

If the show was fair, they would have taken the top 12 vote getters no matter which team they're on. 

Blake sorely miscalculated on this one.  

The vote off seems to be mainly for 12 year old girls.

• Love 3

I thought Ricky was really good, sorry to see him go. 

I just don’t think it’s fair to allow duos to compete against individual performers. The other night Kelly said to Hello Sunday, “Nobody in the competition can do what y’all just did!” Well, yeah. They sang amazing harmonies because THERE ARE TWO OF THEM. Kinda hard for anyone else to do that by themselves. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I love Alex, sad to see him not make it. At this point I'm rooting for Max and wacky Will but I'm sure they won't get super far. I also really like Austin Ricky but was worried about him in eliminations because of the dreaded first spot. 

44 minutes ago, Keekski said:

I love Alex, sad to see him not make it.

I thought he was miles ahead of Hello Sunday, but kind of thought he wouldn't be able to pull it out.  A lot of people who would appreciate him are NOT going to bother with the twitter thing.

2 hours ago, desertflower said:

I just don’t think it’s fair to allow duos to compete against individual performers. The other night Kelly said to Hello Sunday, “Nobody in the competition can do what y’all just did!” Well, yeah. They sang amazing harmonies because THERE ARE TWO OF THEM. Kinda hard for anyone else to do that by themselves. 

Yeah, what's next - an entire band?  They would have someone who could sing lead on just about any song.  I also think Hello Sunday has several songs rehearsed where the harmonies are really tight and they are starting to use those up as I didn't think the last two shows were particularly good.  I think they picked the Eric Carmen song because it had a lot of range (and were hoping to draw a more mature audience), not because they had done it many times previously.