Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Berlin Proposal

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

Props to the assassin for taking that wicked shot to the head from a kettle and getting up immediately to fight. But If she didn't give Petra the fuse to turn on the lights, she could have had the advantage and attempted to kill her in the dark.

There is a man shooting in the street, a few people screamed,  but most people just stood around or continued stroll and take in the beautiful day.

In 1973, they cleaned up so well but missed Petra's watch and glass? And after 24 years, this watch is in her apartment. I wonder how she got it back. And was she paying rent for a place she hasn't been to in years?

Haynes said he received a picture, why didn't they ask him which person in the store was the real target.

Soyun's husband has a top secret mission, tells his wife she can't know, but leaves the important document in her view long enough for her to read.

Next time, I'll think twice before returning an item to a woman (might cost me my life). The 25 year old inherits a company and the following week he goes on a retreat (where is his work ethic or drive)? 

All those years on the farm, Petra didn't have access to the news or talk to anyone to know how much Russia's politics has changed?

Did Frank deserve to get shot for turning John in to the Kohler? Poor guy was in a no win situation.

Tara has to be more than a journalist and uber driver? Why is Kwon tasking her with these missions?

Can they be consistent with Tara's cuts? One scene at the embassy she didn't have any and the next few there were cuts in different places.

Colonel Shin just leaves his phone on the table and walks away (as if he knew her mission would be difficult, the episode is soon to coming to an end, decided to make it easy for her and the writers). 

It didn't appear she picked up the sim card but by the next episode she probably had it stuck to the bottom of her shoe or something as she ran out of the room. And somehow Cinderella will make it in time to save her son and mother before the clock strikes midnight.

I guess Major Gyun's wife isn't please with Soyun's piano teaching skills to her daughter.

I hope they will explain how they recruit these people (for example: how long was Soyun away from her family and what was the reason for her departure to them).

Not surprised Samantha is involved. What was she doing during the time her husband was getting his ass kicked and tables getting broken? He would have been so thankful if she arrived with the gun a little earlier. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Petra can really kick ass, and at her current age, amazing.   I don't like the character, but I do respect her ability to survive after all of these years.

I honestly don't remember ever seeing an older lady fight scene before.. If you believe TV and movies there are NY number of over 60 white dudes with particular sets of skills.. But it was awesome.. I mean she killed her husband and looks set to go on an Archer with cancer rampage.. And I'm. Here. For. All. Of. It.... 

Count me as someone who would be kinda disappointed if Tara isn't a sleeper agent as well.. Not that it wouldnt be kinda obvious.. Moreso.. Because I've seen Tracy ifeachor fight... Kinda seems a waste to cast her and then saddle her to this journo only... But so far as just N intrepid reporter I'm enjoying her

• Love 4
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Petra can really kick ass, and at her current age, amazing.   I don't like the character, but I do respect her ability to survive after all of these years.

That actress was pretty bad ass considering she's in her 60's!

IDK, I'm still enjoying it even though it's bat shit crazy. 

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Love 2

I'm still hopelessly confused about almost everything about this show.  The Indian lady we saw, she is a new sleeper agent?

On 10/30/2019 at 1:00 PM, UNOSEZ said:

I honestly don't remember ever seeing an older lady fight scene before.. If you believe TV and movies there are NY number of over 60 white dudes with particular sets of skills.. But it was awesome.. I mean she killed her husband and looks set to go on an Archer with cancer rampage.. And I'm. Here. For. All. Of. It.... 

We had a brief scene of 60 something Jenny Agutter fighting in one of the Avengers movies, turns out it was Black Widow in disguise, but still, the actress was fighting.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:18 PM, mxc90 said:

In 1973, they cleaned up so well but missed Petra's watch and glass? And after 24 years, this watch is in her apartment. I wonder how she got it back. And was she paying rent for a place she hasn't been to in years?

Ah, so "present day" is supposed to be 1997?  It can't be, right?  Petra is about 25 at most in 1973 so if 1997 were present day she'd be 49 and she looks about 20 years older.

19 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Ah, so "present day" is supposed to be 1997?  It can't be, right?  Petra is about 25 at most in 1973 so if 1997 were present day she'd be 49 and she looks about 20 years older.

Present day in the show is today, not 1997.

I am Jason Bourne fan so I watched and caught up. It is okay. I am good at following multiple threads of a story, but too much is happening with too many different characters and it is difficult to keep track. I will give it a couple more episodes. Maybe it will improve.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I am Jason Bourne fan so I watched and caught up. It is okay. I am good at following multiple threads of a story, but too much is happening with too many different characters and it is difficult to keep track. I will give it a couple more episodes. Maybe it will improve.

Me too. I read all the Bourne novels. This show's confusing b/c not only are we going back and forth in two time periods, but we are dealing w/ stories taking place over three continents. We really don't know how all these stories tie together. Hopefully that information will be revealed and soon.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Loandbehold said:

Me too. I read all the Bourne novels. This show's confusing b/c not only are we going back and forth in two time periods, but we are dealing w/ stories taking place over three continents. We really don't know how all these stories tie together. Hopefully that information will be revealed and soon.

I will settle for them just eliminating one story or one time period. The cast is huge. I don't know who thought that was a good idea.

• Love 1
On 10/29/2019 at 9:18 PM, mxc90 said:

Props to the assassin for taking that wicked shot to the head from a kettle and getting up immediately to fight. But If she didn't give Petra the fuse to turn on the lights, she could have had the advantage and attempted to kill her in the dark.

There is a man shooting in the street, a few people screamed,  but most people just stood around or continued stroll and take in the beautiful day.

Haynes said he received a picture, why didn't they ask him which person in the store was the real target.

Soyun's husband has a top secret mission, tells his wife she can't know, but leaves the important document in her view long enough for her to read.

Next time, I'll think twice before returning an item to a woman (might cost me my life). The 25 year old inherits a company and the following week he goes on a retreat (where is his work ethic or drive)? 

All those years on the farm, Petra didn't have access to the news or talk to anyone to know how much Russia's politics has changed?

Did Frank deserve to get shot for turning John in to the Kohler? Poor guy was in a no win situation.

Tara has to be more than a journalist and uber driver? Why is Kwon tasking her with these missions?

Can they be consistent with Tara's cuts? One scene at the embassy she didn't have any and the next few there were cuts in different places.

Colonel Shin just leaves his phone on the table and walks away (as if he knew her mission would be difficult, the episode is soon to coming to an end, decided to make it easy for her and the writers). 

It didn't appear she picked up the sim card but by the next episode she probably had it stuck to the bottom of her shoe or something as she ran out of the room. And somehow Cinderella will make it in time to save her son and mother before the clock strikes midnight.

I guess Major Gyun's wife isn't please with Soyun's piano teaching skills to her daughter.

I hope they will explain how they recruit these people (for example: how long was Soyun away from her family and what was the reason for her departure to them).

Not surprised Samantha is involved. What was she doing during the time her husband was getting his ass kicked and tables getting broken? He would have been so thankful if she arrived with the gun a little earlier. 

That part was really hard to believe.

Who leaves any electronic device out in the open?  It it's not being used, it should always be in a pocket or bag.

I didn't realize Kentucky and West Virginia were right next to each other.

I was wondering how Doug and Sam could live in Ashland, Kentucky and go to Cloonies in Huntington, West Virginia.  Usually crossing states means things are far away.

But apparently it's only 15 miles away.

I don't understand how Tara and Jang-Mi escaped in Paris.

They crossed the horizontal foot bridge near the Eiffel Tower, then hid behind the stairs at the other end?  Wouldn't the assassins have seen them going underneath, even if they were a bit farther back?

They'd see them going in a downward path.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:00 AM, UNOSEZ said:

Count me as someone who would be kinda disappointed if Tara isn't a sleeper agent as well.. Not that it wouldnt be kinda obvious.. Moreso.. Because I've seen Tracy ifeachor fight... Kinda seems a waste to cast her and then saddle her to this journo only... But so far as just N intrepid reporter I'm enjoying her

I haven't seen this movie yet, Red 2 has an old lady car chase scene.

I'm going to try and watch both Red movies sometime.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:42 AM, Loandbehold said:

3 sets of characters is probably the most that can be handled.

These are the plots they should keep / expand on:

1)  Petra and related stories (past, present).  Includes John Bentley's stories from 1973.

2)  SoYun

3)  Tara Coleman, Jang-Mi

So that means Doug and Sam would get the axe, and with Matt and Wells and the store shooter.

If they want to introduce a small story about Nira Patel, fine, but don't make it major.

Ok, here's what really confuses me.

Colonel Shin gives Jin Woo the Game Boy look-alike, because he'll give it to SoYun.

The device contains a syringe meant to kill General Kwon.

So Shin wants Kwon dead because Kwon was trying to stop the unsanctioned group from buying the Stiletto Six launch codes?

Shin also told Dae Pak that Kwon was a traitor.

But then another soldier wants to expose Shin as a traitor, and threatens to send SoYun's mom and son away to labor camp?  How is Shin a traitor?

Isn't Kwon the traitor?  (He was doing the "right" thing, but still going against his country).

How did the soldier even know that SoYun's fingerprints were on the syringe?  How did the syringe even fall underneath the water drain?  It looked too big to fall underneath.  And no one saw the fight.

And why couldn't SoYun just pry the drain open?  Or did she have to get back to the piano lesson?

So, how can both Shin and Kwon be traitors, if they're on different sides?  Kwon appears to to want to stop the unsanctioned group. 

Shin appears to have wanted to stop Kwon from stopping the unsanctioned group.

Shin says Kwon is a traitor.

The other soldier says Shin is the traitor.

Are we supposed to just accept that these are the perspectives each group has?

So if someone is on Dae Pak and Shin's side, then Kwon is the traitor.

But if someone is on that soldier's side, then Shin is the traitor?

4 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

Shin says Kwon is a traitor.

The other soldier says Shin is the traitor.

I took it to mean that kwon and this new soldier were in the same camp... They don't want stiletto six... Shin does... I forget  the BS reason he told the husband about kwon being a traitor... To him kwon was a traitor for his actions against N. Korea... For Kwon and this new guy.. Maybe shin and his buddies circumventing the proper channels and getting stiletto six is a betrayal of N. Korea..... 

Anyone else getting bored with this show!  I’m still trying to figure out what’s happening with the guy from the opening.  We’ve seen his captor (bad ass 60 year old woman) in present day, but where is he?  Or, did they already show him in his 60s and I blinked and missed it?  And, how did all of these diverse people become sleeper agents in the first place?  We’re they in the military at some point?  Where they abducted and brainwashed?  Was some sort of chip implanted in them?  And ... when did this happen?  These new characters weren’t even BORN yet in the 1970s when this program was instituted.  I haven’t read any of the Bourne novels, but I did see most of the movies and I still don’t understand this.  The critics are having a field day ripping this show apart.  Violence with little story or explanation, they say ... and I must agree with them!

1 hour ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

Anyone else getting bored with this show!  I’m still trying to figure out what’s happening with the guy from the opening.  We’ve seen his captor (bad ass 60 year old woman) in present day, but where is he?  Or, did they already show him in his 60s and I blinked and missed it?  And, how did all of these diverse people become sleeper agents in the first place?  We’re they in the military at some point?  Where they abducted and brainwashed?  Was some sort of chip implanted in them?  And ... when did this happen?  These new characters weren’t even BORN yet in the 1970s when this program was instituted.  I haven’t read any of the Bourne novels, but I did see most of the movies and I still don’t understand this.  The critics are having a field day ripping this show apart.  Violence with little story or explanation, they say ... and I must agree with them!

I feel like most of those questions will be answered as the season goes on.. Based on what's happening in the present and in the bourne movies from what I remember... The tsikada program gets implemented.. Maybe by the CIA guy who killed the betraying best friend.. What happens with the captured CIA guy probably influences him... As for the sleepers.. The CIA prob targeted them when they were college age.. Or picked them straight outta the military... As they are waking up more memories should fill in the blanks for you 

On 11/6/2019 at 2:41 AM, UNOSEZ said:

I took it to mean that kwon and this new soldier were in the same camp... They don't want stiletto six... Shin does... I forget  the BS reason he told the husband about kwon being a traitor... To him kwon was a traitor for his actions against N. Korea... For Kwon and this new guy.. Maybe shin and his buddies circumventing the proper channels and getting stiletto six is a betrayal of N. Korea..... 

Thanks.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:07 PM, nuraman00 said:

Who leaves any electronic device out in the open?  It it's not being used, it should always be in a pocket or bag.

Yeah the Korean general leaving his phone on the table and then turning away was absurd. I scoffed so hard I think I sprained something.  And then no one saw her futzing around with it?  Yeah right.  

Also is there ANYONE in the show who is not a spy/sleeper agent or a "handler"?  I know that in spy shows you need to have a willful suspension of disbelief but . . . come ON.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:42 PM, Loandbehold said:

This is one reason why I am enjoying this show. I don’t need to know why everything is happening out of the gate. It’s enough to learn of different aspects of what clearly will end up being connected. For now, I am enjoying the ride!

It is also fun guessing who is a spy asset and who isn’t. Clearly many of these sleepers have handlers nearby, in one role or another. 

• Love 1
On 12/21/2019 at 4:10 PM, WatchrTina said:

Yeah the Korean general leaving his phone on the table and then turning away was absurd. I scoffed so hard I think I sprained something.  And then no one saw her futzing around with it?  Yeah right.  

That party scene and the "replace the SIM card" mission reminded me of something from Chuck. 

All in all, I'm enjoying this.  It is a big cast and a lot of story to juggle, but I'm mostly keeping track so far. I don't need to know everything now as long as it ties up in the end, but I do find if I blink, I miss things, like how Tara knew to find Kwon's daughter at the Palace of Versailles. 

I knew the understanding wife would turn out to be an agent. What Doctor can take time off during the day to hit a (surprisingly busy) bar!?

What was it that tripped off (Old) Erica that her “helpful” neighbour was there to kill her? It would have been a great twist if she’d actually been just helpful and nosy and not involved at all (sad for her, obviously, but she is fictional).

If I was trying to bring in somebody who had been brainwashed to be an emotionless killer, I wouldn’t kill his best friend and tell him they wanted to work with the woman who’d done this to him. OK, maybe tell him you want her so you can deprogram him (even if you just want to use him) but don’t go, “We like this program for making emotionless killers!”

On 10/30/2019 at 4:18 AM, mxc90 said:

It's almost like they knew they were just extras!