Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Valor

• Start Topic

That episode had way too much Henry. I like FGOTUS Professor Arm Candy USMC-Ret Henry McCord, but that was a bit too much of him, it felt like the episode was all about him.

also can we please just have Dmitri find someone nice and he and Stevie just become friends

• Love 3

Well, the preview they were showing all week was really not an indicator of what happened on the show. It seemed to imply that Bess was "lying" about something and that the White House is in chaos, which it wasn't. In fact, it seems like Bess has gotten two HUGE policy bills through Congress in her first few months.

The PTSD theme was driven home well in many ways; even Bess admits she still feels it from the bombing she lived through (and showed she hasn't actually worked through it yet because she thinks she should have gotten over it by now.)

And Henry's remark about not liking the Fourth of July anymore rang true.

Yes...too much Henry, who seems to be in all the major meetings. But Veterans' Affairs really is his wheelhouse, and if he can just stick with that and arts/infrastructure, he could play a similar role as previous First Ladies. The standing O after Henry read the dead guy's letter was too manipulative for me...the Senators REALLY stand up and applaud? I can buy the military in uniform yelling and cheering, but the committee is the same one that's been stalling on getting the bill out of committee.

As for Morejon, I believed the guilt he felt for blocking the Medal of Honor winner's testimony...but I don't know that I think any "free market" supporter (let's privatize the VA!) is really in it for freedom of choice. Privatizing public services puts them in the hands of the lowest bidder, and makes oversight even harder, so it's hard to argue that privatization helps anyone but the people who get the contracts.

Also, I would TRY a blue porter with 15% alcohol, but not at a business lunch.

While I wish Dmitry would go away, they are setting setting him as the dashing romantic hero against the nerdy wonk Stevie is currently settling for. (Seth Numrich is an outstanding actor, and nerdy wonk is a bit of a departure for him.) 

Oh, and what did Daisy do??? And did I see a glimpse of Conrad in next week's preview?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, kwnyc said:

The standing O after Henry read the dead guy's letter was too manipulative for me...the Senators REALLY stand up and applaud?

Senators stand up like that during the state of the union. That is probably because it is on TV though....

I have thought the hearings have been a bit much and that the guy from Prison Break was wasting time, but sounds like Daisy really did something wrong. I can't really trust the previews though, this episode was so different from what the previews implied.

The stuff about veterans and mental health made me sad. I assume most of that is true to life.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I have thought the hearings have been a bit much and that the guy from Prison Break was wasting time, but sounds like Daisy really did something wrong. I can't really trust the previews though, this episode was so different from what the previews implied.

The stuff about veterans and mental health made me sad. I assume most of that is true to life.

The hearings seem exactly like something a certain party would do to another parties' administration. Hell, it's what they've already done. A former impeachment investigation started out having absolutely nothing to do with dick sucking. 

The VA and mental health is true as is the want on one side to only accept privatization and refuse to do anything else until then. 

I really hope those two agents assigned to Stevie help out the happy kids on their weekend camping.  I don't think either of them could boil water without a recipe.  It did remind me of a story from a friend of mine from several years back.  Either Clinton or Bush 41 was coming to Sequoia National Park near where I live in California.  As appropriate, the Secret Service arrived early to set up security, and bivouacked in one of the campgrounds, or maybe in the cabins.  My friend, because of his finance background, was tasked by our boss to work with the NPS on accounting for all the charges that would occur from the visit.  Now, we all have this image of Secret Service agents as tight-lipped, square-jawed, earpiece and dark glassed robots, but one of the receipts he received was from the mountain grocery store for several dollars worth of.......  chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Either Clinton or Bush 41 was coming to Sequoia National Park near where I live in California.  As appropriate, the Secret Service arrived early to set up security, and bivouacked in one of the campgrounds, or maybe in the cabins. 

When Reagan came here to visit his old friend Claudette Colbert. He brought over 300 security guys (They filled the entire 300-room hotel next to our house), plus a hospital ship and an aircraft carrier, with her entire support flotilla.

(Best part was when the local idiots decided to give him a 21-gun salute. But since they didn't have artillery, they used dynamite. Comedy gold! I'd pay money for a copy of that video!)

Anyway, I hear they are going to rename the show "FGOTUS", but I doubt that will happen. I just don't know how she is supposed to make a good President if she can't make a single decision without Henry having the final say.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

one of the receipts he received was from the mountain grocery store for several dollars worth of.......  chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers. 

I do not begrudge one cent of my taxpayer dollars for such a delicious use.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Happily another Noodle and Cranky Boy-free show.  Keeping the other 2 kids out was a good move.  This last season is definitely not about how Bess balances home & family with work.  

Did Dmitri have the facial scruff in previous seasons? Cause he looks goooooddd with it.  Very good.  I still don't want Stevie with him, but not with that Griffin dude either. 

You could really see the medal winner was getting cranked up about VA neglect and started getting ragey with Henry & his aid.  Telegraphed a bit too obviously that he was going to go off the rails, but it was a worthwhile anvil. 

Jeez, but Tea looks amazing for 53.  When she & Henry were sitting in bed, she looked so freaking young!  Her makeup people and the lenses they use to film are incredible.    

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

The hearings seem exactly like something a certain party would do to another parties' administration. Hell, it's what they've already done. A former impeachment investigation started out having absolutely nothing to do with dick sucking. 

Yeah, I agree it is similar to real life. I didn't mean I thought it was unrealistic, just that I thought it was ridiculous. In real life or TV.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mojito said:

This show has become dull. I need more comic relief from Blake.  I need to see Bess deck another handsy president.

When the camera first showed us love sick Dmitri in this episode, I did LOL. There was another unintentionally funny moment too that I can’t recall. 

The highlight of this episode was Bess’s blue lip. I thought Luke Duke might have been trying to sabotage her with the the Kentucky version of Romulan ale, but he was sincere.

The Dimitri story has jumped the shark. No way he would ever be safe Just because of a treaty.

• Love 2
On 10/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, mojito said:

This show has become dull. 

I'm watching on Netflix, and I am struggling to finish this show. It's so so so boring. They should have kept Bess as Secretary of State, and ended the show with her running for president. I miss the old show.  Well not Henny is supper dude and is better at everything they were going for/ still are going for.  But I miss the people at the office Jay, Kat, and press dude etc.. I miss the interaction between the office characters, the interaction Bess had with foreign diplomats, and her going to foreign countries. Now it seems all Bess does is give boring speeches.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:10 PM, leighdear said:

Did Dmitri have the facial scruff in previous seasons? Cause he looks goooooddd with it.  Very good.  I still don't want Stevie with him, but not with that Griffin dude either. 

Dimitri does look good, but I hate the character and want him gone gone gone.  I know they are going to put him and Stevie back together which just blah no. I can't believe her mother was gushing to Henry an episode ago about how romantic it was that Dimitri still had feelings for Stevie. 

I actually don't mind Stevie and Griffin. He makes her laugh and she seems relaxed around him. He also doesn't seem bothered by her having secrete service agents and that people take photos of them. 

On 11/5/2019 at 9:23 PM, Athena5217 said:

The Dimitri story has jumped the shark. No way he would ever be safe Just because of a treaty.

Completely agree! There's no way Dimitri would be safe and there's no way Stevie's parents would be secretly hoping for Dimitri and Stevie to get back together. To be fair maybe it's just Bess that's hoping for it.  

• Love 1