Type keyword(s) to search

Carlin and Evan: But Mostly Carlin!

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Did she say she was having fewer “episodes?”

It was hard to make sense of her word salad, but she said something like, she was having fewer of them, they were less severe and sometimes she could feel them coming on. But everything was qualified with a sorta, or kind of, or I don't really know.

When she started the meds last time she was wiped out. Restarting them shouldn't wipe her out as bad, but it still will. Carlin is not behaving like someone who restarted a medication she initially had a hard time tolerating.

Carlin said she had no episodes off the meds while doing the EEG and she hasn't mentioned it all since then.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Week 5 of FMLA and they're spending the day chilling at the pool. Carlin seems fine enough and even with her family MIA, seems like they have enough sweet friends that he could leave her and the kids with someone at least 20-30 hrs/wk and work if he wanted to. Hell the girl who scrubbed their tub and has acted like Carlin's personal assistant for two weeks could probably watch her and the kids 40 hrs/wk esp. now that Carlin doesn't seem to actively need anything.

I tend to agree with others, clearly something was wrong with her. BUT I also have a feeling that they've figured out what that was/or if they don't know the source, how to manage it for now. I mean Carlin has been running around 24-7, carrying babies, no one is necessarily 5 ft from her and at times no one is even in the same room with her [like yesterday when she was videoing her master bedroom, bath, closet for all to see]. Yet they're keeping this whole thing going . . . . I wonder what his parents think of his newfound the whole family stays home and just makes money off of social media, lifestyle.

I doubt FMLA involves fraud investigations the way disability does [though maybe it does, who knows], BUT Evan is a brand new electrician, dependent on his union right now to be placed in jobs. They're 100% dumb to think no other young electrician [or perhaps one's wife] follows them on IG/YT, notes that they are living it up during Evan's FMLA, and oh look it suddenly gets discussed in the break room at work. In a time where all construction related trades are preparing for a slow down, do you think it works to your advantage to have zero experience + the reputation of someone who doesn't care?? If Evan goes back and it's like - we need 5 guys on this job but there's 6 to choose from, does Evan think his winning personality gets him staffed? And in these kinds of professions, you don't get staffed on a job, you don't get paid.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

One's job can demand/require more FMLA paperwork if they think an employee is lying, or playing in the gray area, and they do it all the time. But really its all about getting the doctors' notes to sign off on it saying its needed. I've never seen a fraud case, but I have seen employees be forced to make a choice of returning to work or quitting.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It was hard to make sense of her word salad, but she said something like, she was having fewer of them, they were less severe and sometimes she could feel them coming on. But everything was qualified with a sorta, or kind of, or I don't really know.

When she started the meds last time she was wiped out. Restarting them shouldn't wipe her out as bad, but it still will. Carlin is not behaving like someone who restarted a medication she initially had a hard time tolerating.

Carlin said she had no episodes off the meds while doing the EEG and she hasn't mentioned it all since then.

Good lord. 🤦‍♀️

1 hour ago, cereality said:

Carlin has been running around 24-7, carrying babies, no one is necessarily 5 ft from her and at times no one is even in the same room with her [like yesterday when she was videoing her master bedroom, bath, closet for all to s

Another brilliant safety move. Let it be easy to figure out where you live, and even post the layout of the house! Unbelievably dangerous.

Edited by Cinnabon

If Carlin is still having episodes I see her carrying her kids around in the same way I would see someone driving around without their kids in carseats.

My guess now is ... Carlin lost her baby weight super fast. I wonder if an extreme reduction in food intake caused the episodes. Now she has course corrected and the episodes are gone.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

If Carlin is still having episodes I see her carrying her kids around in the same way I would see someone driving around without their kids in carseats.

My guess now is ... Carlin lost her baby weight super fast. I wonder if an extreme reduction in food intake caused the episodes. Now she has course corrected and the episodes are gone.

And apparently what she does eat sucks. The doctors would have seen some unusual lab results if she had been starving herself. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cereality said:

FMLA involves fraud investigations the way disability does [though maybe it does, who knows], BUT Evan is a brand new electrician, dependent on his union right now to be placed in jobs. They're 100% dumb to think no other young electrician [or perhaps one's wife] follows them on IG/YT, notes that they are living it up during Evan's FMLA, and oh look it suddenly gets discussed in the break room at work. In a time where all construction related trades are preparing for a slow down, do you think it works to your advantage to have zero experience + the reputation of someone who doesn't care?? If Evan goes back and it's like - we need 5 guys on this job but there's 6 to choose from, does Evan think his winning personality gets him staffed? And in these kinds of professions, you don't get staffed on a job, you don't get paid.

Or his employer might think, well, OK, wife is ill, he's renovating, he's moving, it's good that he'll have everything settled when he comes back and be fresh and ready to concentrate on his work

• LOL 1
17 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

If she was/is having non-epileptic seizures, I wonder if they would go the suggested route for that.

Have they discussed the results of the EEG?

Last I heard, they were waiting on the doctor. There's nothing in her stories about it.

• Like 1

For FMLA Evan can take up to 12 weeks during the 12 months after a baby is born. It doesn't have to be taken all at once. It is unpaid leave. No doctors note needed. He can do whatever he wants during that time off. No fraud involved. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

It’s my understanding that employers generally do require some kind of medical certification verifying the need, or continued need, for FMLA. Maybe he’s lucky and his employer is laid back about it all.

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/labor-employment-law/time-off-from-work/do-i-need-a-doctors-note-to-take-fmla-leave.html

While the FMLA grants employees who take leave certain legally protected rights, the law also imposes notice requirements on employees so that employers can conduct their business with the least interruption possible.

If an employee needs FLMA leave for a foreseeable reason, such as childbirth, the employee must give the employer at least 30 days’ notice. When the need for leave is unforeseeable, the employee must inform the employer only as soon as it’s practicable. This relaxed standard would apply, for example, if the employee suffered a heart attack or was injured in a car accident.

The FMLA does not require workers to use specific language when giving notice. Employees must simply provide enough information to demonstrate that the reason for leave is covered by the FMLA. If the reason is unclear, the employer may request written proof in the form of a certification from the treating healthcare provider. The FMLA spells out what type of information the certification should include:

the date the serious health condition began

the probable duration of the health condition, and

appropriate medical facts regarding the condition.

If the leave is for the employee’s own health condition, the certification must verify that the employee is unable to work. If the leave is required so that the employee can care for a family member, the certification should say so.

Employees can take FMLA leave for as long as a single 12-week stretch, or for intermittent time periods not exceeding 12 weeks over a 12-month period. Generally, if the leave is intermittent or based on a reduced work schedule, the medical certification should include:

a statement of medical necessity, and

the expected duration of the intermittent leave or reduced work schedule.

Recertification

If the employer doubts the veracity of the initial certification, the FMLA allows the employer to attempt to obtain a second or third opinion. The employer can also request recertification from the same healthcare provider who issued the initial certification, but in most cases no more often than every 30 days. The 30-day limit does not apply when:

the employee requests an extension of leave

there’s been a significant change with the employee’s health, or

the employer’s obtains information doubting the employee’s reasons for leave.

If the employee’s health condition is expected to last more than 30 days, the employer must wait longer than 30 days to request recertification.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Quiet1 said:

For FMLA Evan can take up to 12 weeks during the 12 months after a baby is born. It doesn't have to be taken all at once. It is unpaid leave. No doctors note needed. He can do whatever he wants during that time off. No fraud involved. 

But that is not why Evan said he went on FMLA. He said it was due to Carlin's medical needs.

And parents taking time off to care for a child, must be caring for a child. They can't, say, take on a new job, or leave the care of their child to someone else during that time.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

You can also use unpaid leave any way you would like during the first year of your child's life or placement with your family. This means that you can take parental leave all at once in a single 12-week increment, or you can spread it out in chunks over the first year for doctor visits, illnesses, and other unexpected situations that occur in a new child's life.

Above taken from government website on FMLA. Evan has been approved for FMLA according to them. I've known a few fathers who took four weeks off three different times during baby's first year and some have taken two six weeks leave. Just had to provide info at time of the birth. Pretty simple. I'm sure it was easier for Evan having this medical problem for Carlin during the baby's first year. May have been more difficult if this didn't happen in the baby's first year. 

Edited by Quiet1
  • Like 1

FMLA must be used for its stated purpose. Say an employee was on intermittent FMLA for migraines. FMLA time off must be used for issues related to migraines, e.g., a migraine, testing and treatment. Time off for unrelated health issues revert back to whatever your company's policy is.

FMLA costs employers tons of money each year. Its a nightmare for supervisors, coworkers and HR too. Trust me, they will pin you down if they think you are abusing the system.

Evan clearly stated Carlin's doctor said she can't be left alone, she can't drive, etc. He made no mention of taking time off to care for his newborn.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

He may have told his employer that he needed time because of Carlin and they said he has FMLA available because of the baby or they just approved it because of Carlin. Doesn't really matter. It is unpaid leave and they approved him. He is free to spend it with his family however he wants to. 

36 minutes ago, Quiet1 said:

He may have told his employer that he needed time because of Carlin and they said he has FMLA available because of the baby or they just approved it because of Carlin. Doesn't really matter. It is unpaid leave and they approved him. He is free to spend it with his family however he wants to. 

I respectfully disagree. I supervise a large staff at my agency and work closely with HR. Evan wasn't approved for "unpaid leave", he was approved to take care of his wife under FMLA guidelines. FMLA is not for 12 weeks of unpaid vacation time.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, sheshark said:

Is that their own private pool or a community pool.  I see what looks like a garage nearby.

Not their pool. They have a huge backyard, but it's all grass. 

I think their pastor has a pool. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Thanks, because if that was my pool, this would be my “forever home.”

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Their pastor has a very large backyard pool and a very nice house.  Must be a large congregation.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

But that is not why Evan said he went on FMLA. He said it was due to Carlin's medical needs.

And parents taking time off to care for a child, must be caring for a child. They can't, say, take on a new job, or leave the care of their child to someone else during that time.

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Quiet1 said:

It’s much more complicated than that. But again, maybe his employer is super laid back and isn’t concerned with the certification process. If you’re interested in learning more, check out this site. It’s not as simple as it may sound.

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/employeeguide.pdf

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Their pastor has a very large backyard pool and a very nice house.  Must be a large congregation.

And he’s pocketing a lot of those tithes, it sounds like.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Exactly.

It’s much more complicated than that. But again, maybe his employer is super laid back and isn’t concerned with the certification process. If you’re interested in learning more, check out this site. It’s not as simple as it may sound.

I too have a lot of real life experience with FMLA. Especially paternity FMLA. If eligible, it is pretty simple actually. Perhaps he wasn't planning on taking any paternity FMLA but when this situation with Carlin came up it was the easiest way to go. Seems it was simple for Evan, his employer approved him quickly. Maybe they are laid back, good for him. And it is perfectly fine to go on vacation during paternity FMLA. People may not like it for whatever reason they want to. 

Edited by Quiet1
  • Love 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Quiet1 said:

I too have a lot of real life experience with FMLA. Especially paternity FMLA. If eligible, it is pretty simple actually. Perhaps he wasn't planning on taking any paternity FMLA but when this situation with Carlin came up it was the easiest way to go. Seems it was simple for Evan, his employer approved him quickly. Maybe they are laid back, good for him. And it is perfectly fine to go on vacation during paternity FMLA. People may not like it for whatever reason they want to. 

He could go for paternity leave,  but he’d need to update his FMLA paperwork stating that. I don’t think anyone is against paternity leave.

“Ongoing communication between you and your employer will make the FMLA process run much more smoothly. Each of you has to follow guidelines about notifying the other when FMLA leave is being used.
You will need to inform your employer if your need for FMLA leave changes while you are out (for example, if your doctor determines that you can return to work earlier than expected). Your employer may also require you to provide periodic updates on your status and your intent to return to work.”

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1

The Bates, much like the Duggars, seem to have issues playing by real life rules. Like someone mentioned up thread, just think of what Evan's coworkers are feeling as they're doing his work while Evan is laying in his bed scrolling his phone or out hanging in his pastor's pool, all while his sick wife is scurrying about, seemingly without a concern.

I hope his boss becomes aware of this and is requiring Evan to jump through the extra hoops to continue his vacation FMLA leave.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The Bates, much like the Duggars, seem to have issues playing by real life rules. Like someone mentioned up thread, just think of what Evan's coworkers are feeling as they're doing his work while Evan is laying in his bed scrolling his phone or out hanging in his pastor's pool, all while his sick wife is scurrying about, seemingly without a concern.

I hope his boss becomes aware of this and is requiring Evan to jump through the extra hoops to continue his vacation FMLA leave.

I did some research and there have been quite a few cases where employees taking FMLA leave posted pictures of themselves on vacation or not looking unable to work and were reported to HR. The courts haven’t always ruled in favor of the employees. They expect employees to honestly complete the FMLA paperwork with appropriate certifications and update their employers with any changes. Evan may get an unwelcome surprise here.

Again, I’m all for paternity leave, and so are most people, but it’s supposed to be requested at least 30 days before a baby’s expected birth so employers can prepare and staff and train accordingly. If Evan wants paternity leave now, he needs to make that clear and update his FMLA paperwork, which are legal documents.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I did some research and there have been quite a few cases where employees taking FMLA leave posted pictures of themselves on vacation or not looking unable to work and were reported to HR. The courts haven’t always ruled in favor of the employees. They expect employees to honestly complete the FMLA paperwork with appropriate certifications and update their employers with any changes. Evan may get an unwelcome surprise here.

Again, I’m all for paternity leave, and so are most people, but it’s supposed to be requested at least 30 days before a baby’s expected birth so employers can prepare and staff and train accordingly. If Evan wants paternity leave now, he needs to make that clear and update his FMLA paperwork, which are legal documents.

I am pro any type of leave, if needed. History has had us all shackled to our jobs at the expense of our families and our health. But we all need to play by the rules.

Businesses need to survive not only to provide a service, but also to pay salaries. That's why FMLA has guidelines - to protect both the employee and the employer.

From the information provided, Evan is using FMLA to take care of Carlin. If that's what he was truly doing, I would not only support him, I would applaud him. However, IMO, that is not what Evan is doing, although I do believe they are aware of the negative feedback and NOW are trying to adjust their SM content. But lies are hard to keep up with, so they're even failing at that.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I am pro any type of leave, if needed. History has had us all shackled to our jobs at the expense of our families and our health. But we all need to play by the rules.

Businesses need to survive not only to provide a service, but also to pay salaries. That's why FMLA has guidelines - to protect both the employee and the employer.

From the information provided, Evan is using FMLA to take care of Carlin. If that's what he was truly doing, I would not only support him, I would applaud him. However, IMO, that is not what Evan is doing, although I do believe they are aware of the negative feedback and NOW are trying to adjust their SM content. But lies are hard to keep up with, so they're even failing at that.

Absolutely, I’m also pro any kind of leave. Employers should provide both paid maternity and paternity leave to parents, and they do in other 1st world countries. Not so much here. No one should have to use short term disability after they give birth, but many do. Many don’t have even that. It’s shameful, imo. But in this case, it’s looking like fraud of if the leave isn’t being used for the purposes he claimed when he filled out the legal paperwork. They post WAY too much on SM and I think it’s going to backfire on them . you aren’t eligible for FMLA because you’re moving and want time off to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

How are his co-workers doing his work? He is in a construction related job. If they need ten guys on a job and one is out they can bring in another electrician. It's not like the kind of work where there is a whole backstory to a case so it may be assigned to another worker because he or she already knows some of it or knows the company philosophy already. Electrical work should be done to the same standard no matter which hands are doing it.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

How are his co-workers doing his work? He is in a construction related job. If they need ten guys on a job and one is out they can bring in another electrician. It's not like the kind of work where there is a whole backstory to a case so it may be assigned to another worker because he or she already knows some of it or knows the company philosophy already. Electrical work should be done to the same standard no matter which hands are doing it.

Doesn't Evan work for a company? It typically costs $1000+ to hire a new employee. Why would a company do that for a 12 week position?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Doesn't Evan work for a company? It typically costs $1000+ to hire a new employee. Why would a company do that for a 12 week position?

A) That would be less than $100 per week. Construction is expensive $1000 is nothing.

B) Who said hire? Temp.

2 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

A) That would be less than $100 per week. Construction is expensive $1000 is nothing.

B) Who said hire? Temp.

A) $1000+ and I doubt Evan is the only one out on FMLA. And why would businesses want to pay an extra cost so their employees can work the system?

B) Temporary employees are still hired.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A) $1000+ and I doubt Evan is the only one out on FMLA. And why would businesses want to pay an extra cost so their employees can work the system?

B) Temporary employees are still hired.

And it’s possible that he has coworkers who have asked for vacation leaves or personal time, etc that were denied for various reasons. One of the FMLA cases I read about involved a woman who had first asked for time off for a vacation and her employers denied it at that time. A few weeks later, she applied for FMLA stating she needed time off to treat a medical condition, and her employers approved it. The employee was stupid enough to take that vacation after all (during her FMLA medical leave) and of course posted on SM about it. Some of her coworkers reported her to HR, and she lied when HR contacted her about it. Needless to say, she was fired when she returned from her “FMLA” leave. The employee took it all the way to court, where the judge ruled against her.

All this time say that I’m sure Evan’s coworkers, bosses, and HR know all about his recent antics, because he posts it all! And I’m sure there’s someone in that group who is not pleased and feels it’s unfair, because it is. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I realize you can convert to paternity FMLA at any time and for any reason, but let's not act like no one realizes that nothing is wrong with the newborn that requires him + his wife home full time with him.

This is not necessarily always true. The official FMLA site states that planned leaves, like maternity/paternity leaves, or ones for scheduled surgeries should be applied for at least 30 days in advance, to give employers time to plan for the employee’s absence. In Evan’s case, maybe his employer can easily cover him for 12 weeks without any advance notice, IDK. But the rules are clear about providing accurate, truthful information about the reason for the requested leave, and the necessity of communicating with them and updating them as needed. If the reason for the requested leave has changed, new legal paperwork must be filled out and again approved (or not approved) based on the new information/certifications provided. 

Since you said he only had one week’s paid leave accrued when the baby was born, this FMLA leave must be unpaid. His employer may or may not be covering the family’s health insurance and other premiums during the leave. Some require the employee to cover those premiums. For a family of 4, that’s probably a few thousand a month, plus deductibles/copays.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1

Folks,

1. PTV is not a snark board.  It is a place to discuss TV shows and the persons or characters on them.  Love, hate, and everything in between is okay.
  2. If you've made your point, move on. No one wins a debate on the internet. 
  3. Do not police what other posters can or cannot say.  If you see an issue, report the post for moderator review. 
  4. To the specific area of Evan's FMLA leave, we do not know what was on the paperwork he filed.  We do not know what he discussed with his employer.  We only know what he stated on his social media. The topic is okay, but we are getting into too much back and forth.  This is not a legal forum on the usage of FMLA.

Questions?  PM @PrincessPurrsALot directly.  We do not discuss moderator actions in the forums. 

• Love 15
(edited)

Maybe they want their own tv show!  🙋‍♀️ 
A TV show would be everything to them. 

There is still a lot of interest in the Bates family. Look at their social media following. 

I can see a show in the works and that would explain Evan not needing to work and Carlin already dreaming of a house like the overpaid Teen Mom gals abide in. 

I have thought this for a long time.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Sad 2
On 6/22/2022 at 4:48 AM, GeeGolly said:

They like rules very much, lots of them.   They just like to be the ones making them, most especially governing women however possible.

• Applause 5
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Tikichick said:

They like rules very much, lots of them.   They just like to be the ones making them, most especially governing women however possible.

Women, LGBT, and minorities .

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

A TV show would be everything to them. 

Don't think a show is in the future for them.  She doesn't have 19 kids, or anything else interesting enough, for a show.   The only reason the family got their show was because Kelly was a baby factory.  I wouldn't watch a show about her and Evan.  Can't stand her 5 seconds stories on Instagram, much less a whole show.  Would hope no network would give these racist fundies a tv show.  Not to say others wouldn't want it.  Yuck!

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Carlin has nearly 400k followers on Instagram. Their show on UP routinely only had about 200-250k viewers. 

Unfortunately, there may be a market for them.

I was remembering how Jessa and Jill came into Counting On after M&JB fell out of favor.   Those girls had nothing much going on except the Dugger name. 

I think there’s interest in the Bates family and all the speculation about if they could carry a show. I think yes. 

It surely would involve two or three other Bates girls and maybe even Lawson in CA

Could it be that Carlton had episodes to show the network they could draw an audience???

Carlton talking about bigger homes and Evan not returning to his job he worked so hard for???

Things to ponder  

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I have no doubt that Carlin would give Evan's right nut for a show of their own.  But the big question is still what caused BUB to be cancelled in the first place. Presumably something nasty or they wouldn't have scrapped and eaten the cost on the season already filmed.  So, beaucoup followers or not, they'd need to find a network that isn't skittish about a potential controversy and the Bates name. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
38 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

I have no doubt that Carlin would give Evan's right nut for a show of their own.  But the big question is still what caused BUB to be cancelled in the first place. Presumably something nasty or they wouldn't have scrapped and eaten the cost on the season already filmed.  So, beaucoup followers or not, they'd need to find a network that isn't skittish about a potential controversy and the Bates name. 

Agreed. TLC takes on bigoted lowlifes, but the Bateses already had a go with them. Not sure if they'd go with this. Maybe E!? 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Carlin has nearly 400k followers on Instagram. Their show on UP routinely only had about 200-250k viewers. 

Unfortunately, there may be a market for them.

It’s a shame Fox News doesn’t have “reality” shows.  

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Well, how "real" would a show with these two nitwits be? 😂

About as real as any other (scripted, staged, edited) "reality" show. Heck, Carlin might be less fake and overly made-up than the various Housewives. 

5 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

True we have no idea why the season was ended abruptly but could it be worse than Josh Dugger?

Hopefully their followers keep dropping.  Lots of talk on Reddit, after the SCOTUS crap call today, that they unfollowed any of the Bates family because of the pro-life posts they were making.  We all know they are pro-life, but such hypocrites about it.

I'd protest and contact any network that planned on giving these bigots a show.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1