Type keyword(s) to search

Press - General Discussion

dargosmydaddy
  • Start Topic

Starts tonight on PBS

Starring Charlotte Riley (Peaky Blinders, King Charles III) and Ben Chaplin (Apple Tree Yard, The Thin Red Line) and featuring David Suchet (Poirot), the six-part drama explores the turbulent media landscape and the ethical dilemmas journalists face each day.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this, mainly the characters, although I will have to watch again to sort out who works where.  I did guess that the woman killed was the flat mate, but maybe they intended us to realize that.  One aspect I read about the last episode in this season makes me want to pause on this—this is not a plot point, but I’ll add spoiler bars:

Spoiler

one article from the UK says the season ends on an abrupt cliffhanger, and the next season is at least a year off.  I can’t stand year-long cliffhangers!

Edited by freddi
  • Love 3
(edited)

I watched mainly to break myself of the habit of watching the inanity that is The Rookie, and because I love Al Weaver and Ellie Kendrick, and I really enjoyed it! A lot going on and I think I only remember two characters' names, but it was interesting.

It took me until about a minute before the main character (told you I didn't retain names) revealed it that I pieced together that Dee was Andrea. I did question that James (the investigative reporter friend) doesn't appear to know this... He seemed fairly close to (OK, I'm looking it up) Holly, and knew her birthday when no one else did. I mean, I guess they're just work friends, but it seemed a little odd.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 3

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and am looking forward to the remainder of the series.  That said, I'm having a difficult time (much more than usual) understanding a lot of the actors' accents this time around.  It's almost like another language. lol

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and am looking forward to the remainder of the series.  That said, I'm having a difficult time (much more than usual) understanding a lot of the actors' accents this time around.  It's almost like another language. lol

I agree about the accents.  I've watched a lot of British shows over the years and it's interesting that I can understand accents on some shows but not others. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tinderbox said:

I don't normally have too much problem with accents, but this was a tough one. I think part of the problem was they were very mumbly - I ended up turning on CC because it was all going so fast.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I don't normally have too much problem with accents, but this was a tough one. I think part of the problem was they were very mumbly - I ended up turning on CC because it was all going so fast.

Yeah.  I’d better use CC or I’m going to miss too much.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't know what it says about my maturity level, but I giggled the whole time Ed was in the polar bear costume.

But I don't think said costume should be going in a washing machine, especially not the head...

I was also questioning the wisdom of washing a faux fur costume...that is not something you just throw in a washing machine.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought the first episode was kind of boring.  I liked the second episode better but this one really started to click with me. 

Yes, this just feels different -- so many shades of grey and conflicted and conflicting agendas.  I'll have to look up the actors to see what they have appeared in.  The quick subplots work, also, like the older-generation reporter who got caught in his fabricated webs of quotes.  I thought that one Herald truck never got the message and delivered the papers, but I couldn't tell, at the end.  

• Love 1

I'm having trouble keeping track of all the storylines. Do we know what favor the slimy editor did for the prime minister? And I thought the roommate's death was going to be a thing, but apparently it was just an excuse to have Ed move in?

• Love 1

Well, I am loving this series, didn't think I would at first, but it is a slow burn. Yeah, I am pretty sure one of those trucks did not make it, the driver was listening to music when he was suppose to get the message to stop the presses on his smart phone. I think we will see what happens there this week. I love it when Masterpiece does a contemporary piece!  

I wish this were a normal series with an indefinite life-span! There are so many story avenues: politics; Show-biz; crime; gossip; culture; economics; technology; business rivalry;  well,  everything,  plus the journos' personal lives!

I love it! 

And Ben Chaplin's voice is yummy!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3

I just had this show recommended to me a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, I've only been able to watch Episodes 2 and 3 as the Pilot is no longer available on demand and is only available on the PBS website if you have Passport. I read a detailed description of the plot for the Pilot so I'm pretty sure I've got most of what's happening even without seeing the Pilot.

The only thing I'd like to know is: Did Duncan have any contact with the Prime Minister either in person or via text in the Pilot? Did the Post specifically do a take down piece on the "Man of Steel" labor leader at the request of the PM? Or, was the Post doing the story independently and it just happened to be very beneficial to the PM that he would text Duncan thanking him for the favor (and then owing him one.)

Thanks.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

The only thing I'd like to know is: Did Duncan have any contact with the Prime Minister either in person or via text in the Pilot? Did the Post specifically do a take down piece on the "Man of Steel" labor leader at the request of the PM? Or, was the Post doing the story independently and it just happened to be very beneficial to the PM that he would text Duncan thanking him for the favor (and then owing him one.)

I have watched closely, but cannot quite describe what happened -- but there was a favour done on both sides: Duncan for the PM, and the PM for Duncan.  I think.  Happy to be corrected.  And in the first episode you did not see, there was a mystery man in a limousine (the CEO of Worldwide News, which owns Duncan's paper) who appears to be pulling Duncan's strings far more than anyone else.  I do not believe we have seen him since the first episode.  Also in the first episode:  it opened with what I assume will be the final episode, with Holly exiting her newspaper to face the press corps assembled to hear a statement from her.  Then the show faded back a couple of months.  

Edited by freddi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am a journalist and love this so much. Have only seen first two episodes. We just literally had that wraparound discussion. And we also have a journalist who thinks leaving a message is journalism l!!

only two little fudges I caught: when holly is writing her story she writes a headline. In real life other people do headlines because it depends on column space (unless you’re at a small local weekly like me and are working hand in hand with paginator).

and, when she asks police for comment it looked as if she was showing him the story. You would never do that. You can give gist but never ever share a whole story.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I tried with this show, but these actors have no appeal or charisma whatsoever.  I don't like or dislike any of them, just meh.  Also, I've watched many British shows, but they way they speak on this show is almost unintelligible.  So, I'm out. 

21 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Oh man, the last scene of the latest episode...I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT....WHOA....this show is so sick, I love it. 

And did you see Holly's hairdo next week in the preview?  No more scrunchie ponytail!  Kind of a Stepford Wives look.  

• Love 2

As I thought, the guy in the car is the publisher, the Rupert Murdoch figure. I freaking love Holly. And she was right to leave : when your editor is that weak and waffle it’s over. Just leave the paper. Especially when she knew she had a job waiting for her. The Post doesn’t seem to do investigative serious journalism mostly but seems they want to make an exception for her.

its interesting because British libel laws differ from ours. In US no serious paper would dare to print a quote with someone saying he’s a pedo... you’re not off the hook because you didn’t say it, you published it.

so we would never run with that quote. Never.

also it was odd when Holly did the research and gave Leona the byline. In US anyone who does research gets reported credit. When you see those multiple byline stories in the Times it doesn’t necessarily mean five people actually WROTE it. 

im just so fascinated by this show.

• Love 2

Grammar digression: Wouldn't it be "In the US" and not simply "In US"?

Next episode: Who can't see the affair coming between Holly and her new boss Duncan? She's all spiffed up as befitting that ultra-modern vermin-free building as well as her "Special Correspondent" title . And he's not only done with his wife; he's "too busy" for his paid companion!

• Love 2

Yes it’s in the  US lol( no dialect just typing fast). I probably was going to write in America and changed my mind.

anyway just saying- this show is engrossing and really appealing to me. I think I’d be just as interested if I weren’t a journalist but it’s especially satisfying to see one’s profession represented fairly accurately. 

• Love 3
On 10/30/2019 at 5:13 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Next episode: Who can't see the affair coming between Holly and her new boss Duncan?

If they were setting it up, it's not going to be in this season. (And I can't say I wouldn't ship it.) But they were nowhere near that tonight.  Sadly, even though I know there were no plans to make another batch of episodes, they billed next week's episode as a series finale.

It makes me sad.  I'm enjoying this series.

Duncan's ex moved on quickly.  And moved up considering she has an uber rich boyfriend who can keep Duncan away from his kid.

I did take issue with Holly.  I know she thought it was beyond the pale to contact the dead boy's mother and she didn't like that The Post was paying the mother for the statement, exposing the practice takes down more than the people at The Post.  It'd also open up the dead boy's mother to scrutiny and bullying for "selling out."

Ed's quite the pill, isn't he.  Stealing Holly's story, taking credit for it and then accusing Holly of essentially getting her new role because Duncan wants to sleep with her.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Sadly, even though I know there were no plans to make another batch of episodes, they billed next week's episode as a series finale.  It makes me sad.  I'm enjoying this series.

It’s confusing.   I thought There would be another season.  The British call a “season “ a “series “.  I wrote a spoilered note about the next season above, when the first episode aired.  But now I can’t find the article that seemed to promise a second series.  Given that this season aired a year ago on BBC, it does not look promising.  Here is a disappointing fact about the final episode:  it

Spoiler

ends on a cliffhanger.

My goodness, Duncan veers fast from tyrant to vulnerable adolescent needing validation and advice (Holly:  “Why would I do that?”). 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

They do but does PBS? I thought they used the US standard of season.

Yes, PBS uses “season” for an annual set of shows. That’s part of my confusion!  And I had thought there was a second season until I heard that. 

• Love 1

Well I think this is the best series that nobody is watching in America. I love it. Let's hope there is another season, but perhaps they just wrapped it up, and there is nothing wrong with that either. I'm back to loving Holly again! 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Well I think this is the best series that nobody is watching in America. I love it. Let's hope there is another season, but perhaps they just wrapped it up, and there is nothing wrong with that either. I'm back to loving Holly again! 

The problem is that

Spoiler

they did not wrap it up, as it is described as ending “on a cliffhanger.”

Sigh. 

• Love 1
On 10/28/2019 at 8:37 AM, Ohwell said:

I tried with this show, but these actors have no appeal or charisma whatsoever.

It's funny, because I'm really enjoying all the actors, but at least in the past couple episodes, the writing seems... not great... in terms of characterization. I think the six episode season combined with so many plots and characters means that many often get a short shrift.

-I loved Holly, but this episode she left me kind of cold. Having her quit The Herald, join The Post, and then quit The Post and go back to The Herald in the span of 42 hours makes her look flaky, quite frankly. I get why she did it, but it would have worked better in a longer timeline. I mean, if this was a US show, you know her joining The Post would have been the first season finale, and her leaving and going back to The Herald would be the second season finale, lol. And don't get me wrong, I usually prefer the UK short, powerful seasons rather than the repetitive blah-ness of the long US seasons, but this is one case where it needed a little more drawing out.

-I think all The Herald actors are lovely, but I don't care about the "Pamina" affair. Seems lazy and something you see all the time. I'd love to see Peter get his own storyline (and/or see a little of his home life), but apparently there's not room for that. I love James/ Al Weaver, but none of his story lines really seem to go anywhere. Love Ellie Kendrick, but I'm lukewarm on Leona and how she went from being a reporter who needs a ton of hand holding to someone who can be assistant editor (I mean, I guess they're too different skillsets, and maybe she's actually more suited for the supervisory role, but... is she really? Seems like there would be other, more experienced people.)

-Which leads me to the timeline in general... Can someone remind me how many weeks this is spanning, per the flash forward in the first episode? Because I thought it was supposed to be 6 weeks, but that seems way too short for the amount of job growth Leona and Ed have seemingly had in that time. Regardless, most of the episodes seem to pick up shortly after the previous one, and not many days are spanned during the episodes themselves.

-Ed's development has been interesting (even if he is a complete douche now), and has at least been shown, even if the timeline is unbelievable.

-The Post editor (whose name I should really know... I keep wanting to call him Angus, but apparently it's Duncan) is well portrayed. He's just so punchable, but his accent is hypnotic and he's an electric presence on the screen. But again I'm questioning the timeline, because he and his wife only split a couple episodes, over his infidelity, yet she now has a live-in boyfriend only a short time (a couple weeks?) later?

-The rest of The Post staff is mainly indistinguishable... Raz is pretty funny, but his sole job is to make snarky comments with limited screentime. I did like the secretary and her conversation with Holly in this episode-- hope we see more of her.

-Someone with business knowledge of newspapers... does The Herald's plan seem feasible? I just don't see the website being profitable, which would lead them to stop doing the "in depth" stories if no one wants to pay for them. Holly and James better watch out.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Having her quit The Herald, join The Post, and then quit The Post and go back to The Herald in the span of 42 hours makes her look flaky, quite frankly.

Yes, do British newspapers not use contracts? I wouldn't want to hire someone who quits every time management doesn't live up to her expectations; she should just go free-lance. She seemed so unprofessional in her short stint at the Post.

• Love 3

Holly speaks truth to power,  that's for sure! 

Too bad it wasn't the Epstein-like PM West who committed suicide and not a minor lad who may or may not himself have been bullied. 

Man,  the characterization of Ed went from innocent to cynical in a trice! 

But then,  a main theme seems to be "Use or be used." Reporters,  politicians, perps, victims, and survivors alike. 

• Love 2

Well, the conclusion was not as problematic as I had feared.  I kept putting spoiler bars on the British reviews saying it "ends on a cliffhanger," but this was not so much a cliffhanger as it was setting up these two foes for future confrontations.  I found it a little ludicrous that in the middle of probably the most stressful work day ever, both of them had time to go into the church to talk.  (I am not sure that was the actual "journalists' church", which is St. Bride's Church on Fleet Street, but I will look again when the episode is posted online.)  

I guess we are supposed to believe that Ed had a sudden crisis of conscience when Duncan made that offer for a raise and better position -- but Ed had been sneaky from the very first episode, when he stole Holly's material.  But boy, he sure burned that bridge with Duncan.  Loved the way the top executive immediately turned away to inspect the escalator when that conversation started to go south.  

I'm sorry, but what woman leaves her purse behind when she goes to the loo?  Especially when said purse is full of high-value sensitive material and her wallet?  

The Fred-Duncan relationship was quite sad, like any contentious divorce.  But was the catalyst for that final confrontation of separate statements by Holly and Duncan.

I am sorry this was the last episode -- I would have kept watching.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, freddi said:

I'm sorry, but what woman leaves her purse behind when she goes to the loo?  Especially when said purse is full of high-value sensitive material and her wallet?

I had hoped that she did this on purpose trying to bait him with false information and ended up so disappointed. She's lucky he wasn't the type of person who would take photos of her credit cards.

Even though it was a slow burn, I ended up enjoying this series and can't wait to catch the next season.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, atlantaloves said:

I just read that it is up for renewal, so we may have more more more. I loved this series. 

I initially thought, six weeks ago, that a second season was planned, because in Autumn 2018, when it aired, there were articles indicating that there *were* plans to continue.  But after PBS said “series finale” in the preview, I poked around some more, and found that as of February 2019, the actor who played the mogul said a second season appeared unlikely, and the only articles since then have quoted him.  Link below. 

It was first filmed almost two years ago, and aired in BBC a full year ago — if they were planning another season, it would have been announced by now.  Too bad.  

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a26484010/bbc-one-press-series-2-david-suchet-bad-news/ 

• Love 1

Only just found the forum.. slow on the uptake. 😁

So did I miss it or did they ever resolve the dead roommate from the first ep?  Wasn't she run over by a police car?  I expected that to have come out in the paper at some point.

No sympathy for either Ed or Duncan; neither one of them has any redeeming qualities.  Did feel sorry for Fred though. 

I would have watched a second season...

Just now, janeta said:
Edited by janeta
8 hours ago, freddi said:

Right?!? Leona is an idiot. And I also found her very off-putting when she was talking to Ed the next day and didn't seem at all concerned that Jon could still get arrested and Holly was being trashed, all due to her stupidity.

Overall I thought the ending worked well if that is *the* end, but the whole series didn't live up to the high expectations I had for it after the first couple episodes. Ed was the only one who really had character growth; Holly and Duncan just kept being who they were (admittedly Duncan got to show some layers to that), and everyone else was just kind of window dressing. I'd definitely watch a second season if there was one, but I can't say I'd be heartbroken if there's not.

36 minutes ago, freddi said:

It was first filmed almost two years ago, and aired in BBC a full year ago — if they were planning another season, it would have been announced by now.

UK series are kind of weird like that... I admit it doesn't look good, but I also wouldn't be shocked if there was a renewal, particularly if the PBS ratings were decent. 

2 minutes ago, janeta said:

So did I miss it or did they ever resolve the dead roommate from the first ep?  Wasn't she run over by a police car?  I expected that to have come out in the appear at some point.

She was never mentioned again. I found that disappointing. Overall I think that was part of my dissatisfaction with the series. Maybe all the fleeting story lines were realistic from a journalism standpoint, but they didn't really make for great TV.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Popples said:

I had hoped that she did this on purpose trying to bait him with false information and ended up so disappointed.

I feel the same way! She was so obvious just stalling in the bathroom washing her hands, I was absolutely sure Ed was being set up. And then nothing, like the writers ran out of time or ideas. What a let-down.

• Love 5

I think that Charlotte Riley was miscast,  or at least her characterization of Holly Evans as dour and self-righteous as well as incongruously lustful, was off the mark,  particularly with the "bison"/"basin" Irish accent. 

I could listen to Ben Chaplin's plummy voice, OTOH, for days! Too bad for his Duncan that any human emotion left is only for his son, as he has been rendered incapable of having positive relationships with women,  either personal or professional, even confusing the professional for the personal as the pro walks out the door. But at least Duncan has wit and can smile.  

Well,  the antagonists have left us as journalists of different feathers,  ne'er the twain to meet. 

The saddest part of the series was that neither newspaper could keep in the black as a print edition. 

Too bad the "Resonance" MI-5/Bourne storyline had to end abruptly. Maybe the awesome Peter Firth could have guest-starred! 

• Love 2
On 10/21/2019 at 10:09 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I'm having trouble keeping track of all the storylines. Do we know what favor the slimy editor did for the prime minister? And I thought the roommate's death was going to be a thing, but apparently it was just an excuse to have Ed move in?

The show didn't explicitly state what the favor was, but my assumption was that the "slimy editor" forced the popular (and competent) cabinet member to resign after exposing her as a former drug addict.