Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Darth Mellor

The Phantom Menace episode tickled me. As a non-Star Wars fan myself, I felt like "The Emperor's New Clothes" after watching it. My boyfriend and our buddies were so excited after we saw it and I was kind of like, "Eh, I didn't really think it was that good..." Weeks later it was like one of them woke up one morning and it suddenly hit them, too. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

The Phantom Menace episode tickled me. As a non-Star Wars fan myself, I felt like "The Emperor's New Clothes" after watching it. My boyfriend and our buddies were so excited after we saw it and I was kind of like, "Eh, I didn't really think it was that good..." Weeks later it was like one of them woke up one morning and it suddenly hit them, too. 

It was funny they hit all the talk that was going on after Phantom Menace came out. Even funnier, how you get this same talk with Last Jedi today, just more on social media and internet. Since in 99 the internet was still so young and not a lot of major complains or forums were active then. Instead of today since Episodes 7-9 have now are are soon to be out. I loved the Jedi battle in the Gym because that is a constant in schools these days, just using pool noodles. I had the Qui Gon and Darth Maul Lightsabers (now tucked away) so I smiled seeing the real thing.

• Love 6
On 3/19/2019 at 12:23 PM, Lili said:

I've still been tuning in. While it's not the only reason, AJ Michalka herself is a big part of it.

Who else here finds her and her sister Aly hot?

AJ is attractive in what I would call an unconventional way. I don't think I've seen Aly in anything recently. However I did watch Aly in an old Disney channel movie just the other day.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I was a huge Star Wars fan, having been 11 when the first movie came out.  Even I realized that Phantom Menace was a terrible movie, and the other two prequels weren't much better.

• Love 3

The Phantom Menace stuff was hilarious to me, as a big Star Wars dork. Phantom Menace was actually the first Star Wars movie I ever saw (I was like 9) and I totally loved it, and I remember it being a huge deal and everyone loving it. It wasnt until I watched the original movies, and watched it again, that I noticed that it seriously SUCKED. Not the worst thing ever, but...its not good. I thought the episode might have everyone instantly be annoyed with it, even though originally fans and critics loved it, but I liked how they did this. The Star Wars shine was so real! Everyone loved it until everyone woke up one morning was like "so, is it me, or are mitaclorians the dumbest thing ever?"

Fun episode, and I liked the lesson at the end. Even if something isnt perfect, you can still love it!

• Love 7
On 3/21/2019 at 2:44 PM, tennisgurl said:

The Phantom Menace stuff was hilarious to me, as a big Star Wars dork. Phantom Menace was actually the first Star Wars movie I ever saw (I was like 9) and I totally loved it, and I remember it being a huge deal and everyone loving it. It wasnt until I watched the original movies, and watched it again, that I noticed that it seriously SUCKED.

I liked the Phantom Menace when I saw it.  I didn't like Jar-Jar, and I didn't like the midichlorians.   But I liked Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Jinn, and I liked Watto.  I found it later he was considered an offensive stereotype of a Jewish person, which I didn't get.  And Jar-Jar was supposedly an offensive stereotype of a Jamaican, which I still don't get.  But overall I liked the movie because it gave me the same basic feeling as the original one did when I saw it in the theater.

Oh, and I decided I preferred Yoda as a muppet.

I liked Star Wars but I was never a HUGE FAN like some people.  I was able to enjoy the movie for what it was, while for some diehard folks it was a letdown, I guess, because they expected some sort of epiphany from it or something, I don't know.

I was going to complain because this was another episode of Schooled based around a movie, but it was a decent episode I guess, so I'll save it until next week.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1

I'm not so sure about the whole "star wars shine" thing.  I was 16 when The Phantom Menace came out and while I remember everyone being excited about it and going to see it in the theaters, I don't recall one person liking it.  Even as teenagers we were all, "Yeah, that sucked hard." 

• Love 2

CB was pissing me off. I was flipping him the bird through the whole show. Why in the hell would you let TPM be someone's first Star Wars experience? Coach did nothing wrong.  Ugh. Till this day I've never seen 2 & 3 because that movie sucked so much. Still Coach dressed like Darth Maul and was awesome like he always is. < 3 I love that man.

I also saw no problem with the niece already knowing how to drive. I would have been proud of her. I taught myself to drive at 14 and so did my oldest son. I honestly didn't get Lainy freaking out when she figured out how good a driver niece was. Sorry, I'm blanking on her name.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, festivus said:

CB was pissing me off. I was flipping him the bird through the whole show. Why in the hell would you let TPM be someone's first Star Wars experience? Coach did nothing wrong.  Ugh. Till this day I've never seen 2 & 3 because that movie sucked so much. Still Coach dressed like Darth Maul and was awesome like he always is. < 3 I love that man.

In fairness to CB to this day people still debate whether they should start new viewers with the OT or the prequels, and that's with knowledge of how ... mediocre the prequels ended up being, and people were crazy hyped for Ep I before it came out. Lucas and/or his marketing team were absolute masters at promotion and cutting a trailer.

• Love 4
On 3/21/2019 at 9:35 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Yes, Jar-Jar Binx ruined that movie for me. I'm loving this show more every week, Tim Reid is awesome.   Aly is a hottie, she's on IZombie which I can't wait to see coming back on. 

Aly is one of the reasons CW still has old episodes of 2010's Hellcats online. AJ is no slouch in the looks department, either.

• Love 2
On 3/22/2019 at 7:47 AM, festivus said:

CB was pissing me off. I was flipping him the bird through the whole show. Why in the hell would you let TPM be someone's first Star Wars experience?

To be fair, CB hadn't seen the movie yet either, and just assumed it would be great.

• Love 7