Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Lainey and Erica’s High School Reunion

rmontro

Yikes, now they're doing plots from the movies on Schooled ("Romy and Michele").  I hope this doesn't become a habit.  The Goldbergs disease has infected the spinoff.

Kind of a weak episode, I thought.  Didn't have an episode idea so they just did the movie thing.  Nothing really stood out, although we did learn that Erica is still with Geoff, and apparently they're doing pretty well.  

• Love 4

I watch this off and on. I just think it could be better without the sappy message about teachers and students at the end every time. I think they can do the school theme but branch out in some other ways. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am glad they had a “spoiler” about Jeff and Erica because her initial brush off of Lainey would have been annoying of that was all that was given. 

Agreed. 

I kept wondering why they had Erica's hair so awful when everyone else's was normal.  Erica's hair in Goldberg's is pretty much fine for any decade, so I am not sure if they were trying to make a joke of her being a suburban wife or something?  Lainey's hair hasn't changed much, not so sure why Erica's was so odd.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, alexa said:

Agreed. 

I kept wondering why they had Erica's hair so awful when everyone else's was normal.  Erica's hair in Goldberg's is pretty much fine for any decade, so I am not sure if they were trying to make a joke of her being a suburban wife or something?  Lainey's hair hasn't changed much, not so sure why Erica's was so odd.

Erica was totally rocking the Rachel (it looked terrible but really it did for most people who tried to rock the Rachel.  Even Jennifer Aniston hated the Rachel.  

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Erica was totally rocking the Rachel (it looked terrible but really it did for most people who tried to rock the Rachel.  Even Jennifer Aniston hated the Rachel.  

I guess it was so bad on Erica, I didn't realize that was what she was copying.  I get it now, lol!  Rachel's looked much better than that 🙂

• Love 4
On 3/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, tennisgurl said:

The running joke with the picture that everyone can see except for Tim Reid was funny. 

As someone who has never ever been able to see those pictures no matter what I do, I appreciated when he showed it to the teachers at the end because I'm not sure if it was camera work or somehow a slightly more defined picture, but I could totally see it! I finally felt like a champion! 

*Tim Meadows...

• Love 4
On 3/9/2019 at 6:20 PM, mamadrama said:

Maybe things were different in private schools,

Things were different in private schools. I was interviewed in the 90s at a private school to teach French/Spanish with a bachelor's in elementary education and 1 year Spanish course work and 4 years high school French. (I didn't get the job but the fact that they even interviewed me says a lot of not good things in retrospect). 

A friend of mine was just hired as a public school elementary school teacher with a law degree and NO teaching experience or education. 

• Love 6

Oh God, of course 90s Erica would get an awful Rachel haircut in the 90s! Honestly I never got why that haircut was so big, even Jennifer Aniston didnt like it. 

So it sounds like Jeff and Erica are going strong in off-screen land, glad that we know! I was super annoyed when they seemed to be blowing off a possible break up, so glad we got a tiny update. Its hard to do a sequel series when the original show hasn't ended yet sometimes!

I just listened to a podcast about Romy and Michelle, so them doing a Romy and Michelle episode cracked me up. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, alexa said:

I guess it was so bad on Erica, I didn't realize that was what she was copying.  I get it now, lol!  Rachel's looked much better than that 🙂

At the time so, so, so, so, so many people got that cut.  But they'd just go to the hairdressers and say "I want the rachel" but of course not all hair works with that cut.  Not all hairdressers knew how to do that cut when it became a sensation pretty much literally overnight so for a year or two there were so, so, so, so, so, so many bad Rachel haircuts.  I think at the time one girl in my class managed to get a Rachel cut that both looked correct and looked flattering on her and she was able to do the styling on it that made it work for longer than the time between their hair appointment and when they next went to bed.   

It was instantly recognizable to me but only because I have seen so, so, so, so, so many bad Rachels.  

• Love 5
On 3/14/2019 at 9:41 AM, justjen said:

As someone who has never ever been able to see those pictures no matter what I do, I appreciated when he showed it to the teachers at the end because I'm not sure if it was camera work or somehow a slightly more defined picture, but I could totally see it! I finally felt like a champion! 

*Tim Meadows...

I never did see it and I even paused it and tried.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, alexa said:

Ha ha, I didn't get either but now I can see it. I thought it almost looked 1960's.

• Love 2
On 3/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, joanne3482 said:

Things were different in private schools. I was interviewed in the 90s at a private school to teach French/Spanish with a bachelor's in elementary education and 1 year Spanish course work and 4 years high school French. (I didn't get the job but the fact that they even interviewed me says a lot of not good things in retrospect). 

A friend of mine was just hired as a public school elementary school teacher with a law degree and NO teaching experience or education. 

My county won't even hire you as a sub unless you have X many hours in education. You don't have to have an education degree, but you have to have a certain number of hours in the program. 

Source: I sub for my county but my PhD-holding husband cannot. 

• Love 2
On 3/14/2019 at 1:06 PM, bybrandy said:

At the time so, so, so, so, so many people got that cut.  But they'd just go to the hairdressers and say "I want the rachel" but of course not all hair works with that cut.  Not all hairdressers knew how to do that cut when it became a sensation pretty much literally overnight so for a year or two there were so, so, so, so, so, so many bad Rachel haircuts.  I think at the time one girl in my class managed to get a Rachel cut that both looked correct and looked flattering on her and she was able to do the styling on it that made it work for longer than the time between their hair appointment and when they next went to bed.   

It was instantly recognizable to me but only because I have seen so, so, so, so, so many bad Rachels.  

I recall the Clooney hair style for guys...that was hit or miss for guys.  90s...fun hairstyles 🙂

• Love 1
On 3/13/2019 at 9:54 PM, rmontro said:

Yikes, now they're doing plots from the movies on Schooled ("Romy and Michele").  I hope this doesn't become a habit.

Agreed, especially since they did the "She's All That" episode and also used that as a verb like in this episode. I don't mind homages or mentions, but using movies as a plot driver is not a well to go to often. I did like Lainey and Erica in the Romy and Michele dresses at the end.

Speaking of repeat plots, I feel like the Coach Mellor feeling inadequate story has been done as well. How much validation does this man need? (sorta kidding). I did like them bringing in Ruben Amaro Jr. and talking with the real one at the end.

I guess Geoff and Erica aren't married but are still together. I wanted more information, but I understand why they kept it vague. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, xander874 said:

Agreed, especially since they did the "She's All That" episode and also used that as a verb like in this episode. I don't mind homages or mentions, but using movies as a plot driver is not a well to go to often.

I forgot about that one.  Practically every episode of the Goldbergs is based on some sort of movie or TV show, so I really do NOT want to see this on Schooled.  Borrowing movie plots strikes me as being very unimaginative.  Seriously, if they're going to overload my senses with this sort of thing, I might end up dropping both shows altogether.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2019 at 1:19 PM, tennisgurl said:

Oh God, of course 90s Erica would get an awful Rachel haircut in the 90s! Honestly I never got why that haircut was so big, even Jennifer Aniston didnt like it. 

Really, was it the Rachel.  I think maybe Erica's stylist didn't like her anymore than anyone else does and gave her The Monica Lewinsky.

• LOL 9
On 3/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, Aryanna said:

I think it also helped that I wasn't wearing my glasses, so my eyes were already unfocused enough? I just remember standing bored at the mall while all my friends stood at the kiosk that sold those pictures and I was just so sure they were making stuff up! 

(edited)
On 3/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, Aryanna said:

I used to stand at the mall for long periods of time and couldn't see it.  Used to drive me crazy.  Everyone kept telling me to "relax my eyes" and "look through it", which wasn't helping at all.  When someone finally told me to cross my eyes and unfocus them, that did the trick.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1

I have a question, prompted by a comment in the Goldbergs forum, but it relates to this episode:

What sort of occupation does Erica have at this point?  I remember she is still with Jeff, but that's about it.

12 hours ago, rmontro said:

I have a question, prompted by a comment in the Goldbergs forum, but it relates to this episode:

What sort of occupation does Erica have at this point?  I remember she is still with Jeff, but that's about it.

I know, be interesting since the real "Eric" Goldberg became a doctor too. 

9 hours ago, readster said:

I know, be interesting since the real "Eric" Goldberg became a doctor too. 

I was trying to remember, did she not make any mention of what she was doing now then?  I thought she had said what she was doing, but I'm not sure.