Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E24: Compounding Pharmacies

• Start Topic

You know, when watching the Emmys last weekend, I'd wondered if John was feeling rather antsy the whole time, because this whole Trump scandal was just breaking then. I could imagine him being incredibly eager to get back to work to try and keep tabs on it and compose his thoughts for this week's show :D. 

I've no doubt we'll get a more in depth discussion as things continue to unfold, but tonight's commentary on what we know thus far was very entertaining. LMFAO at comparing Giuliani to New York subways 😄. I tell you, I am shocked, shocked that he's going through yet another divorce. And he's doing all this crazy stuff for Trump for free?! 

His interviews thus far have truly been the gift that keeps on giving, though. 

I loved John highlighting the differences in why this scandal feels different compared to all the other ones. The really funny thing about all of this is that Trump was trying to get dirt on somebody who isn't even the official nominee for the Democrats yet! Sure, he's been in the lead, and sure, people have talked about how he'd be likely to beat Trump if he ran against him, but the fact remains that it's still early yet! As we well know by now, things can change dramatically as election season plays out. So Trump may well have wound up doing all of this for naught on his part in the end. That just makes the whole thing all the more ludicrous. 

Yeah. It'll be very, very interesting to see how this entire thing continues to unfold. What a time to be alive, indeed. 

Those fake names mentioned in the main segment. What the hell? It's really comforting to know that these people don't seem to give a shit about screwing around with something that could seriously injure or kill people, and are openly flaunting their stupidity besides 😕. Cripes. I hope the people who got blinded at that one place are suing the hell out of them. 

At least that list of names gave us an awesome celebrity bit, so there's that :D. That was hilarious. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 7

My grandma was a pharmacy tech before she retired. She worked at a small pharmacy that rented space in a grocery store. Her favorite thing to do was make compounded suppositories for a hospital. I'll have to show her this segment since I'm interested in her perspective, beyond being disgusted at these places.

• Love 7

I got a shot in my spine back in 2012 right before the story broke about the pharmacy making contaminated drugs. I was terrified for days until I was able to confirm that my doctor did not get my batch of drugs from this place. People died.

I had to use a compounding pharmacy when my cat needed thyroid medication.  

It would have been perfect if John Oliver had been on that list of fake names.

Loved Jimmy Kimmel's shot at John's Emmy.

12 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

fuck you Michael Bolton

Why this man is rich and I'm not is a crime for the ages.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

It would have been perfect if John Oliver had been on that list of fake names.

I was seriously expecting that to happen :p. 

I liked how he tried to come up with a weird JFK theory based off all those people. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

When John started the compounding pharmacies story, I was sure he had done one before. Then he brought up the NECC news story from a few years back. Yes, that's where I'd first heard of them.

I kept wondering why the loopholes were built into the bill. Or more specifically, which member(s) of Congress was inserting the loopholes into the bill because of lobbyists.

• Love 5

My hubby works at a compounding pharmacy.  Which is in New York, so regulations are not a problem.  

Loved the celebrity segment at the end, but did David Schwimmer have some formaldehyde injected into his forehead? He’s so handsome. He doesn’t need botox.

• Love 3

Forgot to ask...am I the only one who had visions during this episode of It's a Wonderful Life, where little George saves a patient from a mixing error by Mr. Gower, the pharmacist?

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Forgot to ask...am I the only who had visions during this episode of It's a Wonderful Life, where little George saves a patient from a mixing error by Mr. Gower, the pharmacist?

Nope!  Totally had the same reaction and then felt sad because I hate that scene but then felt happy because I love Christmas movies!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

I am just aghast that this is even possible...especially the part where it is even possible that a pharmacies gives out a toxic medicament more than exactly ONCE.

You might even say that they compounded their mistakes. Try the veal!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

At this point I am wondering how Americans even survive….between the sh... healthcare system, the low food standards, the poisoned water, and now even untrustworthy medicine, it is kind of a wonder the life expectation isn't even lower than it already is compared to other developed countries....

• Love 6

By a strange twist of fate I just had to get one of those "mixed in the pharmacy" products for myself...interesting experience, basically the only pharmacy where I could get it was at the one closest to the doctor because for one, one of the stuff in it is apparently difficult to get by, and the specific mix is apparently difficult to weight unless you make directly a big batch (hence it makes only sense to sell it if you regularly get customers who need it).

So, I am at home and suddenly realise that there is no leaflet where I can check the possible side effects (something which didn't even occur to me when I fetched it). Thankfully it is nothing I would have to swallow, so I guess the risk isn't that high from the get go, but I spend some time figuring out what the stuff in it actually is, just in case. It's basically a broad spectrum antibiotic combined with an immune suppressant. Now I hope that I won't react badly to it.

At least I know that I got a fresh batch. And that it wasn't mixed in a toilet.

• Love 3