Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: From the Ashes

Bort
  • Start Topic

The doctors of Chastain are surrounded by new rules and doctors, as Red Rock Mountain Medical takes over the hospital. Conrad finds himself in a dangerous situation when the construction for a new neurosurgery center causes a gas explosion at Chastain. New hotshot neurosurgeon, Barrett Cain, is put to the test with a complicated surgery. Mina acts as a support for Nic, who is struggling with a devastating loss.

Airdate: Tuesday, September 23, 2019

Ordinarily, I'd say Nic's dad was a sleazeball for trying to manufacture a lawsuit to profit from his daughter's death.  And logically, an addict who underwent a transplant could easily have complications that could result in death.  But, given all we've seen happen at Chastain, I can't really fault him for wanting to dig a little deeper.  In fact, I would assume that the lobby of the hospital is constantly filled with ambulance chasers just waiting for the next shoe to drop. 

• Love 5

I felt bad after cheering when I saw Jessie’s urn. I was hoping she’d be the one to die since she was so insufferable last season. I really hope there was nothing wrong with her surgery because her heart was failing and it was a risky surgery- it would be a cop out if her death was a mistake.

That explosion made me jump, and I’m glad that the mom told the kid that if he hadn’t ran away none of this would have happened. I’m tired of bratty kids getting a break because they got injured while doing something stupid. 

I find it hard to believe that an orthopedic surgeon would “only” bill 2 million a year. That arrogant neurosurgeon is going to kill someone while running multiple ORs, but since the Raptor and Bell are nice now they have to have a jackass doctor.

• Like 1
  • Love 13

It made a lot of sense to me that the sister died, allows for Dad drama. As everyone's said, the sister storyline was played out.  

Hmmm...brilliant surgeon, heartless after he walks away? And gives false hope.  Kit was hilarious insulting him, and so deadpan.  I agree I can't see her only billing 2 million, but arms and legs probably don't pay what brain surgery does.  

Bell's being tempted to cross the line to rock star God Dr. Again?? Wow.

Overall the pacing was slow and kind of odd.  Very melancholic.

And I'm glad the mom told the kid it was his fault, but the nice chiding scold was bs.  I hope when he's better he's grounded and has to do community service til he's 90.  Consequences, people.  Pretty contrived only our hero Conrad could find him.  

No matter how wrongful the sister's death might have been, unless they can prove it on the drug trial I'd say they're sol. 

Edited by Jlina
  • Love 3

So, I ended up watching all of season 2 a couple of weeks ago, since I missed most of the episodes last season. I'm glad to be all caught up.

I knew Jessie would be the one to die, mostly because that would affect Nic more than their dad dying. And lo and behold, I was correct. Plus, Jessie's storyline was definitely at the end and it made complete sense for her to die. 

But now, Conrad's in a little bit of a situation with helping out Nic's dad in discovering the reasons for Jessie's death. Even if it ends up being just because her heart finally gave out and not to due with the surgery, I don't see Nic being very pleased with Conrad going behind her back to help her dad. I do genuinely want to believe that he's doing this just for the truth, but we can't really know with him until he finds out the truth and what he does with it.

Eloise, the triple transplant sub-intern! I'm glad to see her back. This show is always great at bringing back patients, even former patients, and she was one of the better ones last season. Hopefully we see her come back soon.

As for new character Cain, I do enjoy Morris Chestnut and his character is certainly going to be one that I hate right off the bat, much like I was with Bell and Austin. So I was glad that Kit hated Cain right off the bat and wasn't afraid to tell him off. Although I do suspect there'll be a love triangle between the three of them, so that'll be somewhat entertaining to watch...maybe....probably not.

Not enough Mina. I'm hoping Devon's arc this season goes better than last season's.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Jlina said:

[re: Cain] Hmmm...brilliant surgeon, heartless after he walks away? And gives false hope

Mmmm, not necessarily.  The words the writers put in Moira Kelly's mouth were not incorrect; treatment for melanoma HAS come an extremely long way in the last 10 years.  Case in point:  former president Jimmy Carter, who received treatment with a checkpoint inhibitor for metastases to his brain and liver, and is still out there kicking all kinds of ass.  I'm a stage IIIC melanoma patient who received adjuvant treatment with Opdivo (translation:  all visible disease was resected, and the drug was given to help my body go after any cancer cells that were hiding)...one year cancer-free and counting, so I know from whence I speak 🙂

42 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

But now, Conrad's in a little bit of a situation with helping out Nic's dad in discovering the reasons for Jessie's death. Even if it ends up being just because her heart finally gave out and not to due with the surgery, I don't see Nic being very pleased with Conrad going behind her back to help her dad. I do genuinely want to believe that he's doing this just for the truth, but we can't really know with him until he finds out the truth and what he does with it.

My biggest quibble with this storyline was the dad shoving a copy of Jessie's medical records in Conrad's hands.  First of all, no way was that the entire thing--it would have been HUGE, had it been printed...which brings me to point #2:  there was no reason to have a printed copy, except for dramatic license.  Conrad is a doctor in the hospital where Jessie received treatment; he would have access to the electronic medical record any old time he pleased...unless dear old dad knew that the system logs everyone who accesses a particular record, which might lead to questions as to why Conrad was doing so, but I doubt the dude has the foresight to think about that!

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, twoods said:

I’m glad that the mom told the kid that if he hadn’t ran away none of this would have happened.

Very true, but I also question why every single door the kid encountered was unlocked. 

Is the cause of the explosion going to be investigated? The episode summary makes it seem the construction caused which.... Was not reflected in the actual episode. 

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

This show is always great at bringing back patients

I have always liked this too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

13 HOURS AGO, JLINA SAID:

[re: Cain] Hmmm...brilliant surgeon, heartless after he walks away? And gives false hope. 

Mmmm, not necessarily.  The words the writers put in Moira Kelly's mouth were not incorrect; treatment

That's phenomenal news! You must be an amazing person to go through that. 

I wonder why they showed nic and Conrad looking so bummed and cutting eyes about it?  I don't think I'm going to like this new Drs. Are even more evil than we thought! Storyline.  

• Love 1

I know I need to let it go--it's not going to change, but the appalling medical errors/oversights in this drama make me itchy!  I'm not a doctor, nurse, or anything close so I can't imagine how it must bug them but......

Woman A is injured in basement explosion and requires surgery that cuts her from stem to stern.  Then, it's discovered Woman A also has a brain tumor, requiring surgery in which her entire head is splayed open to remove it.  Cut to Woman A, laying comfortably in a hospital bed.  She's not hooked up to one machine.  She doesn't appear to be sedated at all.  She has one small bandage around her head that looks like it was applied by a middle schooler, maybe, and she is chatty happily with the doctors???  And we're supposed to believe that???

This show is losing steam for me real quick.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 9/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, Julia67 said:

I know I need to let it go--it's not going to change, but the appalling medical errors/oversights in this drama make me itchy!  I'm not a doctor, nurse, or anything close so I can't imagine how it must bug them but......

Woman A is injured in basement explosion and requires surgery that cuts her from stem to stern.  Then, it's discovered Woman A also has a brain tumor, requiring surgery in which her entire head is splayed open to remove it.  Cut to Woman A, laying comfortably in a hospital bed.  She's not hooked up to one machine.  She doesn't appear to be sedated at all.  She has one small bandage around her head that looks like it was applied by a middle schooler, maybe, and she is chatty happily with the doctors???  And we're supposed to believe that???

This show is losing steam for me real quick.  

I keep coming back because of Bruce Greenwood but yes, this is ridiculous.

At the same time they keep showing the reality of things, like people avoiding seeking care because of ridiculous costs, they show this crap. There was no  consultation, apparently no informed consent either (?), it was like hey, there is a tumor, let's cut her head open and remove it STAT! get the super hero doctor who can do it in a few minutes. Let's not try less invasive treatments, cut her up!!! By the way, the now doctor acts like a predator and I already dislike him.

Also annoying is how they HAVE TO make Conrad the super hero of every day. They could have written the explosion where Moira Kelly gets hurt, and something else that hurt the kid and have the same storylines. But noooooo. Conrad needs to go down there to save everyone and just get a little dizzy. 

• Love 2
On 9/25/2019 at 1:47 AM, twoods said:

I felt bad after cheering when I saw Jessie’s urn. I was hoping she’d be the one to die since she was so insufferable last season. I really hope there was nothing wrong with her surgery because her heart was failing and it was a risky surgery- it would be a cop out if her death was a mistake.

That explosion made me jump, and I’m glad that the mom told the kid that if he hadn’t ran away none of this would have happened. I’m tired of bratty kids getting a break because they got injured while doing something stupid. 

I find it hard to believe that an orthopedic surgeon would “only” bill 2 million a year. That arrogant neurosurgeon is going to kill someone while running multiple ORs, but since the Raptor and Bell are nice now they have to have a jackass doctor.

I called Jessie dying the second she appeared on screen after the "Previously On..."

On 9/25/2019 at 3:56 AM, Jlina said:

It made a lot of sense to me that the sister died, allows for Dad drama. As everyone's said, the sister storyline was played out.  

Hmmm...brilliant surgeon, heartless after he walks away? And gives false hope.  Kit was hilarious insulting him, and so deadpan.  I agree I can't see her only billing 2 million, but arms and legs probably don't pay what brain surgery does.  

re: billing

My dad had his appendix out a few years ago. Total amount billed to insurance was ~35k for surgery, admission, ER, etc.

That's just a general surgeon. But let's say Kit bills 30k per surgery. 2 mil would be 66.67 surgeries a year at 30k a surgery. I bet she does more than a surgery every ~5 days. I bet an orthopedic surgeon would be very popular - yes. neurosurgeon is flashy, but I bet that shiny tool gets taken out of the toolbox much less often than "I do surgery on broken arms, legs, and other bones"

On 9/25/2019 at 10:28 AM, Lovecat said:

Mmmm, not necessarily.  The words the writers put in Moira Kelly's mouth were not incorrect; treatment for melanoma HAS come an extremely long way in the last 10 years.  Case in point:  former president Jimmy Carter, who received treatment with a checkpoint inhibitor for metastases to his brain and liver, and is still out there kicking all kinds of ass.  I'm a stage IIIC melanoma patient who received adjuvant treatment with Opdivo (translation:  all visible disease was resected, and the drug was given to help my body go after any cancer cells that were hiding)...one year cancer-free and counting, so I know from whence I speak 🙂

My biggest quibble with this storyline was the dad shoving a copy of Jessie's medical records in Conrad's hands.  First of all, no way was that the entire thing--it would have been HUGE, had it been printed...which brings me to point #2:  there was no reason to have a printed copy, except for dramatic license.  Conrad is a doctor in the hospital where Jessie received treatment; he would have access to the electronic medical record any old time he pleased...unless dear old dad knew that the system logs everyone who accesses a particular record, which might lead to questions as to why Conrad was doing so, but I doubt the dude has the foresight to think about that!

Congrats on the NED!

I think we just have to assume that Dad wants Conrad to 100% devote himself to analyzing it and not getting distracted by work stuff, so Conrad will look at it after hours. And yeah, that was a skinnier medical record than I had when I went to a dermatologist for 2 appointments for a rash that was resolved with steroid ointment.

• Love 2

Oy, I so want to like this show more, and I really do give it a try. So many things rub me the wrong way: Dad/Corbin Bernsen always looking for the angle to benefit from even if his own daughter, who is apparently a highly respected nurse, clearly NOT afraid to right a wrong (crazy cancer doc lady), doesn't think there's anything to pursue. I can't stand her dad, but I couldn't stand Jessie more, so I'm good with her gone.

Kid running around the hospital - it just isn't going to happen in reality. Especially these days, most doors in hospitals, some office buildings for that matter, require swipe cards to enter. 

Morris Chestnut - he may be a major *ss, but I'll take the major eye candy for now until I start screaming at the TV about him being a jerk!

Moira Kelly - she still has what I've always considered a really snotty and condescending voice. And she's aged. A lot. I had to do a double take to see if that was her but as soon as she started to speak I knew.

I promise I'll try to be more positive next time! 

10 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Oy, I so want to like this show more, and I really do give it a try. So many things rub me the wrong way: Dad/Corbin Bernsen always looking for the angle to benefit from even if his own daughter, who is apparently a highly respected nurse, clearly NOT afraid to right a wrong (crazy cancer doc lady), doesn't think there's anything to pursue. I can't stand her dad, but I couldn't stand Jessie more, so I'm good with her gone.

I have to imagine Nic obsessively reviewed Jessie's file, either that or can't bring herself to look at it because PTSD

• Love 2
On 9/30/2019 at 2:52 AM, bros402 said:

Congrats on the NED!

Thanks!  Those have become my favorite three letters in the alphabet 🙂  I also enjoy being called "unremarkable," when it is in the context of a CT report.  Still trying to recover from some of the side effects of the immunotherapy--I like to visualize my T cells as having found and killed any hidden melanoma cells, then getting bored and zooming off to wreak some havoc in other parts of my body, like my thyroid, pancreas, gut, and joints--but as long as those scans keep coming back clean and there are no new lumps or bumps anywhere on my outsides, I can deal with it!

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Could they be any more obvious than having the latest evil doctor be called "Cain"?

So, kid, next time you go to the hospital would you rather have an injection or be targeted by a proton beam?

And who on earth thought it was a good idea to situate that thing underneath a giant hospital?

• LOL 1