Type keyword(s) to search

What To Watch For the Next Nine Months?

I was wondering if other OB fans would like to share their favorite tv shows, give ideas for what to watch during the long hiatus. So what do you think? What shows do you like, past or current, any genre, mainstream or obscure? Positive recommendations only, please!

I'll start:

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Entourage

Cougar Town

Homeland (season 1)

Arrested Development

If you guys haven't seen The Returned (the original French version) I highly encourage you to do so. It's brilliant and only 8 episodes, an excellent combination. 

I'm personally going to go for Hannibal and Broadchurch and, of course, finish the second season of OITNB. That should get me through August.

God, I miss Orphan Black already.

• Love 1

My only other must see shows are Mad Men and the above-stated The Returned.

This summer I'll probably watch Masters of Sex; the first season is good but not great. 

My watch list:

Doctor Who (returning sometime in August with a new Doctor!)

Graceland (although I'm a bit lukewarm about this one)

The Bridge (second season starting sometime in July, I think)

Game of Thrones (catching up on DVD since I don't have HBO)

Supernatural (past its prime, but still watchable)

Also, I'm heard rumors of an American version of Broadchurch, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen.  I've also heard there's a second season of the UK Broadchurch in the making, but maybe not this year.

Old favorites:  Saint Elsewhere, Homicide

Recent:  Breaking Bad

Returning:  Orphan Black, The Bridge, The Killing (Netflix)

Hate to admit how much I miss:  Smash (if someone would do a spin-off with Ivy/Megan Hilty I'd be ecstatic)

• Love 1

There are a lot of shows that I like, including a few that were already mentioned. There are only two that I can think of, however, that might apply thematically to Orphan Black.

The first is Real Humans, a Swedish show that is originally titled Äkta människor. It is set in an alternate present where androids known as Hubots are pretty much an everyday presence in society. Some people think of it as normal, others oppose the Hubots, and others are ambivalent. Supposedly, the Hubots are simply servants and workers made to do only what they are programmed to do, but there are always workarounds. And then there is a rogue group of Hubots trying to forge their own paths. The show uses the uncertain status of Hubots in human society as a way of addressing socio-political issues. This works well in some cases and not so well in others. There are loads of characters with different attitudes and agendas. Some of it can be a little cheesy or eye-rolling, but it can be downright brilliant. There are two seasons of ten episodes so far, for a total of around 19 hours. There is supposed to be an English-language remake coming along at some point, but I would track down the original. 

The second is...Spartacus. Thracian warrior becomes Roman gladiator becomes a rebel leader. Hey, they are people treated as non-people and are fighting for their place in the world. That kind of works, right? If you can make it through the first...four episodes, you might find yourself really enjoying this show. It is over the top and CGI heavy, but the raw emotion and the juxtaposition of brutality and gentleness makes it more than the 300 rip off that it initially seemed to be. And if the violence and sex makes you hesitant to watch, there is going to be an edited version of the show airing on Syfy starting this week.

• Love 1

Battlestar Galactia.  There are elements that remind me a lot of OB actually.  And not just the part where several actors have to play multiple identical characters.  It explores a lot of issues related autonomy and individualism.  It's got an amazing cast, fantastic and complex characters (men and women, the women aren't as much of an overt focus like OB but they get equal footing at minimum), an incredible score (this show made me fall in love with Bear McCreary, the music is basically a character).  And I mean, it starts with the genocide of the human race, so clearly it's a barrel of laughs (it actually does manage to find a surprising number of humorous moments). 

• Love 8

I would recommend Haven. I'll be re-watching previous seasons to get ready for up coming new one. It has mystery, one actress playing multiple characters (although not at the same time), and explores questions of self and identity.

• Love 1

Battlestar Galactia.  There are elements that remind me a lot of OB actually.  And not just the part where several actors have to play multiple identical characters.  It explores a lot of issues related autonomy and individualism.  It's got an amazing cast, fantastic and complex characters (men and women, the women aren't as much of an overt focus like OB but they get equal footing at minimum), an incredible score (this show made me fall in love with Bear McCreary, the music is basically a character).  And I mean, it starts with the genocide of the human race, so clearly it's a barrel of laughs (it actually does manage to find a surprising number of humorous moments). 

Oh yeah, if you haven't watched Battlestar Galactica yet you're doing yourself a huge disservice.  After watching the first season of Orphan Black one of my first thoughts was "I haven't watched a Sci Fi show as amazing as this since BSG". 

• Love 4

Spartacus ... if the violence and sex makes you hesitant to watch, there is going to be an edited version of the show airing on Syfy starting this week.

Much like The Sopranos when it ran on Bravo, I have a feeling that in Syfy Spartacus will have to be three minutes of episode and the rest commercials. There's only so much dubbing of dialog, and blurring out extreme gore and naked bodies that can be done.

I have to admit I really like Banshee (on Cinemax).  It is a very strange little show -- cartoonish sex and violence but very strong performances and plotting.

It's the only other show I watch.

There's a forum here for it but since the show is on hiatus, the forum is very quiet right now.

If we're talking series that have come and gone, I can't recommend Fringe highly enough. For OB fans, there's a lot to like in terms of fascinatingly murky science, and the principals are all excellent. They even get the chance to play alternate versions of themselves, for a non-clone taste of that clone-y experience. But it's an all-around solid show where you really care about the characters.

Honourable but still-worthy mention goes to Dollhouse, because it's Joss Whedon, and because, for all its flaws, it's a lot of fun. And again, scenarios where actors play multiple characters (some better than others). Worth watching for Fran Kranz's always-entertaining Topher alone, and the series conclusion has to be experienced to be believed.

• Love 3

Currently, I'm biding my time with Pretty Little Liars, Motive, The Last Ship, 24. And The Bridge is due to start back up soon.

Then I'll watch the regular network season of Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Person of Interest, Vampire Diaries, Grey's Anatomy, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Nashville.

As you can see, my taste in tv is rather eclectic.

(edited)

Well, the first thing on my list for Summer is hate watching the last season of True Blood. I really feel like even if you've never watched that show you too can hate watch its swan song.

Wholeheartedly Co-Sign watching Fringe. (Hint, hint: all 5 seasons are available to stream on netflix) In fact, when I finally started watching OB I mentioned on TWoP that it was filling the Fringe-sized hole in my heart. Hell, I may even do a rewatch. God, I miss that show.

The second season of The Bridge starts on July 9th on FX and I'd definitely recommend the first season. It was bumpy at times, but I think the good far outweighs the bad and I'm looking forward to where it goes from here on out. Tyrant also started this past Tuesday on FX and The Strain starts in late July.

I noticed Netflix has Sleeper Cell streaming now. It only lasted 2 seasons, but I loved the hell out of that show. Plus, there was so much pretty on that show with Michael Ealey and Oded Fehr among others. Anyway . . .  Ealey played a cop who was deep undercover in a terrorist cell in Los Angeles that was run by Fehr.

Oh, and this is a movie, but I watched Enemy today and it's about a guy who sees his doppelganger while watching a movie. He seeks him out and . . . yeah. I'm still processing it, but I thought it was really good. OB tie in: It's directed by Denis Villeneuve who directed Polytechnique which costarred Evelyne Brochu. That movie was also really good, but incredibly upsetting/depressing.

Edited by hardy har

@hardy har, I'll be watching The Bridge too. It wasn't Breaking Bad quality, but still very good.

The second episode of the second season of Defiance just aired, and I thought it was excellent. While Jaime Murray only portrays one character, it's a many-sided character.

My watch list:

Doctor Who (returning sometime in August with a new Doctor!)

Graceland (although I'm a bit lukewarm about this one)

The Bridge (second season starting sometime in July, I think)

Game of Thrones (catching up on DVD since I don't have HBO)

Supernatural (past its prime, but still watchable)

Also, I'm heard rumors of an American version of Broadchurch, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen.  I've also heard there's a second season of the UK Broadchurch in the making, but maybe not this year.

There is an American version of Broadchurch - I've already been seeing promos for it.  It's FOX though, so even with David Tennant in it, there's certainly potential for disaster:  http://www.fox.com/gracepoint/

I may go back and rewatch Babylon 5 this summer.   I've been watching "Murder in the First," but while I've liked it, it's kind of a neutral like, not a compelled to watch like.

I run hot and cold on Doctor Who.  I grew up with the Doctor and was in crush with Four.  (Tom Baker 4EVAH!)

Ahem.

Lost touch until RTD took over the franchise in 2005.  Back in crush, only this time with Christopher Eccelston as Nine.  Lukewarm on David Tennant as Ten.  Loved the spin-off Torchwood (there is a forum here.)  

When Moffat took over, though, I ran for the hills.  

I may check it out again for my personal hero, Peter Capaldi who will be taking the reins as Twelve.

So, I guess I would agree and add Doctor Who (guardedly) with my other suggestion Banshee (also a guarded recommendation but for vastly different reasons.  LOL)

• Love 1

I run hot and cold on Doctor Who.  I grew up with the Doctor and was in crush with Four.  (Tom Baker 4EVAH!)

Ahem.

Lost touch until RTD took over the franchise in 2005.  Back in crush, only this time with Christopher Eccelston as Nine.  Lukewarm on David Tennant as Ten.  Loved the spin-off Torchwood (there is a forum here.)  

When Moffat took over, though, I ran for the hills.  

I may check it out again for my personal hero, Peter Capaldi who will be taking the reins as Twelve.

So, I guess I would agree and add Doctor Who (guardedly) with my other suggestion Banshee (also a guarded recommendation but for vastly different reasons.  LOL)

I understand your feelings about Moffat; I haven't cared for some of the things he's done with DW, either.  Still, can't wait for August and Doc 12!  Hurry up, August!

• Love 2
(edited)

"Shameless" on Showtime is an outstanding show. The new season usually starts in January.

Looking forward to "The Bridge" and "Ray Donovan" both starting in July. 

I am currently watching "24:Live Another Day", "Californication" and (don't laugh) a good show on ABC Family called "Switched At Birth".

Others not currently in season: "Mad Men", the new version of "Dallas", "House of Lies" and a lot of sports shows.

I really, really liked the first season of "Dark Angel". John Savage as Lydecker was a great villain and Jessica Alba looked amazing (before she got so skinny like she is today).

I really miss the series "Luck" on HBO, which was about the horse racing world. It sadly only lasted one season.

Edited by BigDfromLA

LUCK was such a great show. Helena's boyfriend was on that too!

Is it weird that I've already decided for the 2 1/2 months leading up to Season 3 I'm going to watch an episode a week and just rewatch the whole series leading up to the premiere?

• Love 1

Hardy har that's actually a cool idea.

If you make a thread here, other folks might join you in a "re-watch".

(Can you officially "rewatch" such a new show?  I don't see why not......)

I have season two of both The Vikings and Hannibal on the PVR waiting for my attention.  I also have shorter seasons of In The Flesh (British zombies) and The Returned (French ones) looking for time. 

Tonight, Falling Skies returns and The Leftovers debuts, while Penny Dreadful airs its first season finale.  I also have The Last Ship (science on a boat) and Halt & Catch Fire.  I'm catching up with Silicon Valley which I discovered while watching Veep but missed the first two episodes so waited for a rebroadcast.  I barely understand how my laptop works but Silicon Valley is funny and makes an enjoyable counterpart to Halt & Catch Fire.   

Monday is Switched at Birth (ABC Spark); 24: Live Another Day, Longmire (A & E) and Murder in the First (TNT/Bravo Canada)

Wednesday is Suits and Graceland (I don't know what the host US channel is but I get them on Bravo)

Thursday is Line of Duty (a British police show that is really, really good and has addictive theme music) and Defiance.

Friday is Crossbones, the John Malkovich pirate thing that has surprised me by being a lot of fun.

I'm waiting for August for Hell on Wheels to come back and I think that's it for my summer viewing, aside from the World Cup games.  Despite having dual nationality, I don't have a team in the tournament but I still have to watch because it is awesome. 

When I was thinking of the shows I would recommend I came to realise that Orphan Black is so completely different than anything that I've ever been into.  That said...

My current PVR list:

Parks & Recreation (Season 3 is my favourite season of a TV show of all time. It is magical)

Brooklyn Nine Nine

New Girl (Dropped off in quality in season 3 but still fun)

The Mindy Project
Castle (Early seasons are better. Really hit and miss now)

Grey's Anatomy

Favourite shows of yore:

Chuck (Season 2 is awesome!)

Friday Night Lights (Season 1 is maybe my second favourite season of a TV show of all time.)

Happy Endings

Pushing Daisies

Freaks and Geeks

BBC America is rerunning the series from the start on Saturday mornings. EDT it's two episodes starting at 6. My DVR caught the first two this morning, but it looks like they may run both seasons again.

• Love 1

Seconding those who mentioned Mad Men and Prison Break, and would like to add House of Cards, The Borgias (discontinued, so you can easily binge watch the two awesome seasons) and, if you're in the mood for something silly but pretty, Reign.  

Right now WGN's Manhattan is my favorite. It might appeal to other OB fans too. It's not scifi in the usual sense, but it is about the science, drama, espionage, and politics behind the making of the A-Bomb. And it has a feminist slant. I think you can catch up on Hulu and iTunes.

Edited by shapeshifter