Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Three Mutineers

• Start Topic

(edited)

Finally, the resolution to the SO-tastic stuff that dominated the emotional beats for half the season.  Praise the Trees!   [said resolution doesn't change my D/J head fanon, but at least all the melodrama is over with]

That said, I will be surprised if something doesn't end up happening with Johnny & the warden, now that they've bonded somewhat and are sorta!friends.

You're telling me a thousands-of-years-old race's huge armada ship doesn't have strong enough sensors on it to detect a cloaked ship, or at least notice a distortion that could indicate a cloaking device??   lol.   Ok.

I wish I could tell if Khlyen's anguish was genuine or if he knew the prison ship didn't blow & was playing it up?  Rob Stewart is such a good actor, you can never assume things at first blush with him.  It sure seemed real, but there's a nagging feeling there....

Aneela's still Hullen.  Knows DSK is human.  And Jaq is put in the (hidden) corner until its time to finish off The Lady.

I won't miss Jeers.  That guy was nuttier than squirrel poop.

I got a kick out of the Rebell siblings.  You could tell those two were really hamming it up.  "Oh, come on!".  I hear ya, D'avin.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

I never ever wished so badly for a character on a tv show to be finally able to wash her hair! Poor Zeph! I noticed that Pree still has his luscious locks - not fair! (I know he hasn't been awake as long as Zeph but it still bugs.) And where is angry ginger? And for some reason I keep seeing Chris Martin whenever Gared is on screen (not that that's a bad thing, just distracting). Not sure why I never noticed that before. And having that song with the Coldplay inspired chorus in the background didn't help. Okay those are all minor to microscopic quibbles - except the ginger one. On to the good stuff!

We got Fancy back! And he's still an ass**** whether memory-wiped or not. I also loved the Qureshi twins and their squabbling. Humorous little vignette, I wonder if they still have a role to play now? Aww, Gared - what did you do? What are the chances TAF realizes they're being compromised before Khlyen realizes he has been duped? 

I got a tad emotional when Newcy settled into the mainframe, our little AI is all grown-up now! If still a bit too literal lacking irony sensors, he! The warden being a tech geek AND a psychiatrist AND not above harboring illegal tech is a wonderful coincidence *amused eyeroll* There were definitely sparks between her and Johnny but I don't see her settle down on a farm with Johnny. But I don't see him doing that either so who knows?

So glad they finally settled whatever it was between Johnny and Dutch. And I loved how the lighting and the score for their big scene was exactly what you'd expect if this had been a declaration of romantic love! Except that it wasn't and it was pretty great. Second time this month a show delivers a beautiful affirmation of platonic love between a man and a woman - well done!

It's time for sausages with someone else.

See? It's a real wiener.

Aww!!!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I also loved the Qureshi twins and their squabbling. Humorous little vignette, I wonder if they still have a role to play now?

They are Qureshi arms dealers on a ship with 4,000 unarmed prisoners, how lucky can Dutch get?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Lucy will always be the best, but I have to admit that "Newcy" and the entire concept of her is really working for me.  I just love how her current inability to figure out sarcasm and taking things literally clashes with everyone (it's like she's Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy in computer form!)  And I like how Tamsen McDonough changes her voice to make her sound more young and naive.

The Robbel siblings might be almost just nutty as the Lannister twins, although hopefully with less incest.  Loved D'avin being paired with them because Luke Macfarlane really shines at the whole "Why do I keep getting stuck with the crazies?!" reaction shots.

Glad that The Warden is an ally now.  I do wonder if they're going to try something with her and John: especially since he likely put an end to any potential Dutch/John pairing for good.

Hey, Captain Pike was played by the same actor who played Admiral Souther on The Expanse!  I always like it when those shows cross over (both Kelly McCormick and Sean Baek appeared last season: along with the actor who played the dearly departed Pip!)

Aneela and DSK's reunion hits some snags due to Aneela still being Hullen, but I'm sure they'll work it out.  After all, as DSK so eloquently pointed, she's a pretty horrible human being!

Yay, Fancy is back!  Even if he had to be Zeph's test subject for a bit!  And is now captured.  At least Pree escaped, but I hope this doesn't mess things up for him and Gared.

So, now The Lady and Khylen think Dutch and the gang are dead, while Team Awesome Force secretly preps for their next movie.  I can't believe how close I came to saying "poor Khylen" during his reaction to thinking he lost Dutch.  Damn you, Rob Stewart, for making me care for someone who really isn't a good dude!

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Something I just noticed, and apologies if it's been covered before, but in the opening credits, why is Johnny shooting left-handed?

They probably flipped the video to better fit within a visual aesthetic.

On 8/25/2019 at 3:04 AM, thuganomics85 said:

So, now The Lady and Khylen think Dutch and the gang are dead, while Team Awesome Force secretly preps for their next movie.  I can't believe how close I came to saying "poor Khylen" during his reaction to thinking he lost Dutch.  Damn you, Rob Stewart, for making me care for someone who really isn't a good dude!

Poor Khylen hell, what about poor everybody else?  Khylen thinks that now his favorite, most beloved daughter is dead.  He's going to turn the entire fucking galaxy into her funeral pyre.

Edited by johntfs
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

We finally get some forward motion both in the plot, and in the post-mind wipe drama! While I have long been a Johnny/Dutch person, I can live with them just loving each other platonically, which is rare and welcome between male and female characters. I just want them to be happy and to have their awesome bond, so I am really glad that they talked it out. Johnny pining over Dutch who will never love him that way is sad, but them both loving each other platonically is cool with me now that things are better between them. So its settling down that Johnny wants, or at least might want. A Killjoy vacation might be a good idea for him, get some time to figure out what he wants now that he has options, and deal with his loses over the last few seasons. I really do appreciate the show taking the time to deal with how hard this must be for them, when a lot of shows would just brush over it. So maybe the Warden and Johnny will become a thing, I caught some chemistry there.

Fancy is back, and even mind wiped, is still a lovable asshole. Missed you Fancy! Poor Gared is being manipulated out of some misguided desire to protect Pree, I hope they can be together for real very soon. It is sweet how much they still love each other, even after being mind wiped and given false memories.

Aneela and DSK are back together, but its a bit awkward at first, and the Jaq and his two mom adventures are already hitting snags, due to Aneela still being Hullen. But its ok, because Aneela is cool with DSK being human, and DSK was never the nicest person to begin with! "Thats my mom!"

Poor D'avin always ends up having to play therapist/babysitter to every weirdo that they run into, probably because its always comedic gold. The Qureshi siblings were hilarious, and could be really useful in the upcoming fight, especially after D'avin managed to inspire them to actually act like family and focus on their other crappy relatives to fight against. The Johnny and D'avin hug was really cute, and the siblings reaction was priceless. "Should I touch your head like that?"

I cant believe that they actually made me feel bad for Khylen, he really does love Dutch, in his own twisted way.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Aneela and DSK are back together, but its a bit awkward at first, and the Jaq and his two mom adventures are already hitting snags, due to Aneela still being Hullen. But its ok, because Aneela is cool with DSK being human, and DSK was never the nicest person to begin with! "Thats my mom!"

I liked the scene when DSK threw a tantrum and her & Aneela made up.

Aneela, to Jaq:  "You can go on ahead and wait for us.  We're going to be sexually intimate now."

... and Jaq's "eww" face in response.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm so relieved that Dutch and Johnny have cleared the air.  And glad to see Dutch acknowledge that she was affected by the false memories too.  Poor D'avin was the 3rd wheel this week. 🙂 

While I've always thought the show has tried to walk a fine line, saying they are just friends and then leaving just enough wiggle room for speculation, I appreciate them putting on screen what they've been saying off camera for years.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, tessaray said:

I'm so relieved that Dutch and Johnny have cleared the air.  And glad to see Dutch acknowledge that she was affected by the false memories too.  Poor D'avin was the 3rd wheel this week. 🙂 

While I've always thought the show has tried to walk a fine line, saying they are just friends and then leaving just enough wiggle room for speculation, I appreciate them putting on screen what they've been saying off camera for years.

Even though it ended up the exact opposite of my wishful hopes & dreams, I too am also glad that Johnny & Dutch are back to being BFFs.  Can move on to the final phases of the show in the last 4 eps now.

I do wonder if (& how) we'll get to see Johnny end up with the 'wife and farm' dream he has.  I wouldn't mind it being the warden, if it happens.  Seems like a decent (future) pairing, from what little we've gotten so far.

• Love 4
On 8/25/2019 at 11:44 PM, tennisgurl said:

I really do appreciate the show taking the time to deal with how hard this must be for them, when a lot of shows would just brush over it. So maybe the Warden and Johnny will become a thing, I caught some chemistry there.

True. It either would have been glossed over or the tired trope of them suddenly "realizing" their feelings weren't platonic. I like the that show creator said they're going to have a great love for each other but it's not a romantic love and never deviated from that. As you said there are too few opposite sex BFFs and the only one that come to mind for me quickly is Veronica & Wallace. It's good the show also took some time to focus on Aneela & DSK's issues instead of fast forwarding or ignoring them

Johnny and the Warden do have some chemistry, so I'm not adverse to more exploration of it. Johnny does need that year off cause he's good at being a killjoy but that isn't what his heart really wants to be his life.

Fancy is an asshole, real personality or wiped. Pree was spot on about that fact.

I am enjoying Nucy. She really is just a baby A.I. but she's growing up ep by ep. 

Jaq's line of "that's my mom" about Aneela being threatening & take no prisoners reminded me a lot of his father. Made me giggle. 

D'avin with the squabbling twins was pretty entertaining as was his "hi honey, how was your day?" moment with Dutch. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 1

I don't know what to say anymore. The show feels like a bunch of randomly generated plot obstacles that we wait for the characters to get past. I *like* the characters, but also, is it really better to thwart the mind rain by wiping everyone's memory of who they are? If Fancy never becomes Fancy again, how useful is he? So we park Jaq. Whatever. We stymie prisoners. OK. We wait for Newcie to get up to speed. La dee da. 

On 8/26/2019 at 12:36 PM, tessaray said:

I don't think the show has ever deviated that their feelings are platonic, which the characters have explicitly stated, nor created wiggle room based on showrunner interviews. I think the acceptance of them being solely platonic has taken longer more than anything else. I am just glad it has been resolved the Dutch loves both men and her different relationships with each Jaqobis brother is important to her in disparate ways. plus that the brothers love each other too and aren't dicking each other over for Dutch's favor. They both know there isn't a reason to fight over her cause they mean different things to her plus both brother respects the other's relationship with Dutch. 

This week, tvjunkies didn't interview anyone connected to the show post ep but rather wrote a good, detailed post on Dutch & Johnny: KILLJOYS DEFIES EXPECTATIONS AND DELIVERS A LOVE STORY FOR THE AGES

On 8/25/2019 at 11:44 PM, tennisgurl said:

Poor D'avin always ends up having to play therapist/babysitter to every weirdo that they run into, probably because its always comedic gold.

I can't recall where I read it but I saw someone state that it could be that D'avin is one of the very few characters on the show who is self-actualized. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, BlueBlop said:

Yes they did. They interviewed Adam Barken who wrote the episode:

https://www.thetvjunkies.com/killjoys-three-mutineers/

I missed that. Thanks for quickly bringing it to attention. 

Good explanation from Barken. 

I think it was pretty clear to everyone from Day One that what makes the Dutch/Johnny pairing so powerful and moving is their friendship. We never wanted to do a “Will They/Won’t They” storyline. And when we thought about the idea of “They’re Married in the Memory Matrix,” it was for the utter HORROR of it. Hopefully by the time we got to this final season, people would understand that whatever was bothering Johnny, it wasn’t him pining for Dutch. 506 just allowed us to clarify what he was pining for.

Edited by Chick2Chic
added something

From the above article on Dutch and John being a love story for the ages: 

Subverting expectations is one of the hallmarks of Killjoys and one of the things I’m going to miss most about the series when it wraps for good here in a few weeks. But perhaps most of all, I’m going to miss Johnny and Dutch. They are and always have been the beating heart of Killjoys. Friendships in general do not get enough love on scripted television, let alone one between a man and a woman. From Lovretta and Barken down to their team of writers, and the absolutely brilliant performances by both John-Kamen and Ashmore, the entire Killjoys team has seen to it that John and Dutch’s platonic love remained at the forefront of everything. The series was just always too good and too smart to take the easy way out, and in the end, Killjoys still ended up delivering a real, true, and epic love story for the ages.

Killjoys and Elementary both did this brilliantly. Demonstrating the great platonic love b/w a man and a woman, even though it was the final season.

I remember Warehouse 13 putting Myka and Pete together in the last episode when the first 4 seasons made it clear that they were partners and friends w/ no romantic interest in the other. I'm thrilled Killjoys stuck to it's guns and didn't put Dutch and Johnny together romantically. 

• Love 1

Yes, very good explanation from Adam Barken. The other article on Jonny/Dutch relationship is very good as well and I fully agree with its author. I'm belonging to those who don't want a love story between those two, ever. And the marriage? For me, fake or not, it was the worst thing that could ever happen to them considering their deep friendship and the fact it could destroy it, and them both in the process or result in a love story. 

I love this unique relationship they have. It's why I'm watching (and for Johnny and Lucy as well). It has been one very steady element of the show. And it is so well done. I liked this total lack of "will/won't" that occurs in almost every other shows where the main characters are male and female. Had they crossed that line, it would have ruined the show for me.

Regarding the episode, none of them actually spoke about the "horror" of the situation they've been through. They just ignored that and don't talk about what they felt while they both were affected by it, no matter how fake it was. Instead, Johnny is doing the talking while Dutch sat there and just approved. And I found it a bit frustrating and weak. They built this tension between them for 4 episodes "just" for that?

Dutch didn't tell him what she said to D'av and that's a shame, because it would have make this discussion even deeper and meaningful between them. And she would have been honest.

Also it doesn't explain Johnny's behavior either and why he was doing his best to avoid Dutch and any discussion on the subject or why he seemed so uncomfortable around her. The fact that he doesn't want to be a Killjoy all his life has been known for a very long time by Dutch and D'av knows as well. There is nothing really new there. She would have let him go anytime, should have he asked. She was even relieved when D'av offered him a piece of land on Leith, because she knew he had somewhere to settle down in the event of her death or once all is over. On the same idea, he should have been aware that she would let him go and there was a chance to loose her. That shouldn't have scared him. They are best friends after all. Unless he avoided carefully to think to that until the time comes. 

Don't get me wrong. I really loved that scene. It was beautifully done and in total accord with the characters and what they said during the seasons. I admire the producers and writers for not wavering at the last minute on their relationship. I was happy to see Johnny finally realized what he really wants for himself and tells Dutch, despite his fear of loosing her. He needs to take a break from everything to process what he has been through during the last years and to really figure out what he wants to do next. But I was expecting a bit more...

The rest of the episode was really good. Things are starting to move and speed up on all fronts. 

I really enjoy Delle Seyah and Aneela. I can't wait to see what they are going to do on Qresh. Wait, that's an easy one. They are going to take the power, of course. I can't wait to see how they are going to do it. But why is Aneela still Hullen? Because of the cube? It protected her somehow?

Khlyen showing feelings after so long is so good, especially because he has been outsmarted by one of his girls. Is he actually using Gared by making him lie to Pree about the fact he is awake so that he can spy on TAF B?

Newcy has a new playground and is most likely starting going to grow as IA. She is so funny when she takes Johnny's instruction to the letter.

Is it me or The Lady is just clueless about the fact Khlyen is once again not doing what she asked him or more or less took control of everything? I can't even considered her as the bad guy of the season.

And there were so many good lines.

Edited by BlueBlop
Fixed some mistakes here and there and adding something.
On 8/28/2019 at 7:00 PM, Loandbehold said:

From the above article on Dutch and John being a love story for the ages: 

Killjoys and Elementary both did this brilliantly. Demonstrating the great platonic love b/w a man and a woman, even though it was the final season.

I remember Warehouse 13 putting Myka and Pete together in the last episode when the first 4 seasons made it clear that they were partners and friends w/ no romantic interest in the other. I'm thrilled Killjoys stuck to it's guns and didn't put Dutch and Johnny together romantically. 

I hated that W-13 did that.  Especially when the plot of one episode had them getting into bed naked together specifically to give their eventually amnesiac selves the major clue that something was wrong because they would never sleep together.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 4

I kind of hope that Kendry and Aneela get a happy ending.  When it happened I was never going to forgive DSK for killing Pawter.  But... now I have.  She's clearly not the same person she was when she did that.  Let's recall that for all that we love Dutch, she did some pretty horrible stuff every time Khlyen gave her one of those red boxes.  Should Dutch suffer a horrible fate as well?

On 8/30/2019 at 10:11 AM, johntfs said:

I kind of hope that Kendry and Aneela get a happy ending.  When it happened I was never going to forgive DSK for killing Pawter.  But... now I have.  She's clearly not the same person she was when she did that.  Let's recall that for all that we love Dutch, she did some pretty horrible stuff every time Khlyen gave her one of those red boxes.  Should Dutch suffer a horrible fate as well?

The difference is that Dutch felt badly about it.  She did those things under emotional duress.  DSK was an unfeeling murderous bitch even before becoming Hullen.  The show has in no way redeemed her in my mind and she doesn't deserve anything even resembling a happy ending IMO.  She and Aneela both are basically mass murderers who shared their first kiss while viewing Aneela's handiwork, i.e. killing hundreds of people by bombing three whole RAC stations.  That's beyond grotesque. 

• Love 3