One Night Ultimate Werewolf (ONUW) Mafia Games

• Start Topic

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the disparity in roles/players is required. Elsewise (Elsewise isn't a word? huh, I guess I am just making things up these days... wait elsewise is a word, HAHA busted Firefox spellcheck) anyway where was I... ah yes, elsewise there is a smaller margin of error and the game is harder for the werewolves.

Do the werewolves actually take a hostile action or are we villagers just intolerant asshats persecuting harmless werewolves instead of reaching out and engaging them in friendship and brotherhood?

Machia how are you a Bruins fan but not a Patriots fan? It seems weird

• Love 2

caprice you are so full of it, LOL.

Well, yes, but not about this. *blows kiss*

No, really, I have no idea what I am. For all I know, I could be the werewolf and not know in which case I guess people can try to lynch me.

Minion or it's not a night of a full moon? ;)

• Love 2

I am a Steelers fan. Hard nose defense first...at least when I first cheered for them. Plus black and gold.

If the Trouble Maker goes first then it doesn't change what Drogo claims. If trouble maker goes second the Caprice is not telling the truth, or she switched the two werewolves.

• Love 2

And since I've heard from almost everyone I sent the first wave of invitations to, I might as well go ahead and start the playtest of One Night Ultimate Werewolf. 

I'm thinking of this as a kind of quick LOL!Mafia, or our usual Night-time bar shenanigans just with a game going on too.

This game is going to be a bit different from other games we've played. 

First, I kept the Werewolf theme, to help distinguish it from our Mafia games.  I may translate some terms as needed, but generally won't.

Second, there's no story.  No need for one really, since it's just the One Night.

Third, in addition to a role for all the players, there are three vacant and unknown roles.  Those play a part in the game.  The complete list of all possible roles:

• 2 Werewolves
  • 1 Minion
  • 2 Masons
  • 1 Seer
  • 1 Robber
  • 1 Troublemaker
  • 1 Drunk
  • 1 Insomniac
  • 3 Villagers
  • 1 Hunter

The Villagers and Hunter do not have Night actions.  Every other role does have one and they act in the order listed above.

Fourth, some of the Night actions are arbitrary; as in there's no choices involved.  They just give certain players limited information.  That information will be included with the role.  But some Night actions do require a choice.  I ask that anyone that has one of those actions please make your choices quickly.   If I don't get a decision after a certain amount of time, I'll declare that you opted to take no action.

Fifth, there is a good chance you might not be the same role when the game ends.  And depending on your role, you might find that out.  So part of the game is trying to determine which side you're on.  Then figuring out how to survive and win.

Sixth, you know how we typically just hint at our characters and roles here?  In this game, just go ahead and say what you are.  It'll be up to everyone else to decide whether or not to believe you. 

Now some logistics.  Instead of just voting per GM fiat as before, players can call for the vote.  Basically just vote to vote.  If/when there's a simple majority to vote, it'll be voting time.  Otherwise, the vote must begin at 8 pm EDT on Sunday.  When voting starts, everyone needs to vote.  Whomever receives the most votes is "killed" and then I will reveal the results; what role the deceased played (along with everyone else's final roles) and which side won.  If there is a tie, all tied players are killed.  If there's time, I'll post a full breakdown of events and actions.  If not, I'll send that to anyone that want via PM.

So per Bob's instructions, the Night actions are Seer-->Robber-->Troublemaker.  So if caprice did switch me and Biz, then Biz is now a Villager and I am now a Seer- though neither of us knows that because the Troublemaker switches roles without people knowing.  It happened after I stole someone else's role, so the person whose role I stole (Bob) is still the Robber.  

• Love 1

I am a Steelers fan. Hard nose defense first...at least when I first cheered for them. Plus black and gold.

If the Trouble Maker goes first then it doesn't change what Drogo claims. If trouble maker goes second the Caprice is not telling the truth, or she switched the two werewolves.

Drogo just pointed out that my actions followed those of the Robber. I have no reason to lie about the actions I took overnight.

• Love 2

Ok, all that makes sense to me. I'm going to go ahead and vote because I have to start shoveling at some point.

4 Oinky Boinky (Drogo, Biz, Mark, Lisin)

2 Drogo (Machiabelly,Oinky B.)

For reasons I said before. Mark the only gift I was given was to know your role. You don't want to vote against me.
  • Love 2

Bringing the list over so we don't have to flip back to the last page...

• 2 Werewolves
  • 1 Minion
  • 2 Masons
  • 1 Seer
  • 1 Robber
  • 1 Troublemaker
  • 1 Drunk
  • 1 Insomniac
  • 3 Villagers
  • 1 Hunter

• Drogo
  • Aquarian1
  • Machiabelly
  • Lisin
  • BizBuzz
  • Athena
  • Hanged Man
  • MarkHB
  • Oinky Boinky
  • caprice
  • SVNBob

Oh, Machia, I've already made my trouble.

• Love 2

For reasons I said before. Mark the only gift I was given was to know your role. You don't want to vote against me.

Hmm... Well, since you ask so nicely, I rescind my vote. I really don't have any better ideas, though, and we still have a lot of quiet players.

• Love 3

Well, if we are sure one is a WW shouldn't we hope for a tie...then they both die, or did I read that wrong?

Machiabelly wants to make me collateral damage... is this because I was pulling for NE today?

• Love 3

Time is up!

By the last count of votes, Oinky is eliminated.  However, she was

Minion.jpg

Which means that we did not kill a Werewolf.  So the Wolf team wins.

Congratulations to Oinky and Mark!

• Love 4

I was the Werewolf.  Oinky was my Minion (which I didn't pick up on until she beat me over the head with it).  It was a one Night game and the night happened first so the game is apparently over.

• Love 3

Precisely.

Last I saw, votes were 3 for Oinky and 2 for Drogo.  And Mark wasn't on anyone's radar.

Here's the starting role breakdown; mostly everyone was telling the truth.  Picture version here.

Villagers: Me

Masons: Machia and Hanged Man

Seer: Biz

Robber: Drogo

Troublemaker: caprice

Drunk: Athena

Insomniac: Lisin

Hunter: aquarian1

Minion: Oinky

Werewolf: Mark

The other 2 Villagers and the other Werewolf were unclaimed.  And I swear that all happened by luck of the cards.  I couldn't have rigged it better if I tried.

I did say that the unclaimed roles had parts to play in this game.  Certain Night actions could have involved those cards.  As the Seer, Biz had the option to look at two of those roles, or one player's role.  She chose to check a player.  The Drunk blindly swaps their role for an unclaimed one.  So Athena was truthful in saying she wasn't the Drunk but didn't know what she was.  As it turns out, she took one of the other Villager cards.

There's also an option if there's only one Werewolf, as we had here.  Mark could choose one of the unclaimed cards and peek at it.  He chose one of the Villager cards also, so he had a form of disguise.  However, that's not always reliable.  If Biz had looked at his card, or chosen to see two of the unclaimed cards, she might have been able to tell if he was lying.

Action breakdown:

Lone Wolf Mark checked an unclaimed card and saw a Villager.

Minion Oinky was told that Mark was a Wolf, but Mark did not know who his Minion was, if anyone.

Masons Machia and Hanged Man did meet.

Seer Biz did view Drogo and saw he was the Robber.

Robber Drogo stole the Villager card from me, swapping our roles.

Troublemaker caprice then switched Drogo and Biz.  So in the end I was the Robber, Drogo the Seer, and Biz a Villager.

Drunk Athena took unclaimed card C, becoming a Villager.

Insomniac Lisin was able to find her role out after all this happened, and was still the Insomniac.

• Love 6

I hope everyone who played, or at least played along, had fun.  If we like, I can run another game of this anytime there's a lull between normal games.  There's a couple of roles from this set I didn't put in play, and there's two additional games in the set with even more roles and they can all be mixed and matched in various ways to create interesting scenarios.  So there's lots of replayability.

• Love 4

Oinky, I'm sorry I didn't pick up on your first hint post, btw.

I did have a lot of fun (and was happy that I found that unclaimed Villager card since it gave me a safe claim to hide behind).

• Love 4

Speaking of postmortems and learning what does and does not work, I'm making a few changes on how I'll run a One Night Werewolf game.  Starting with a signup list.

1. Mark
  2. Drogo
  3. CP

That's a second change, a player cap of 13.  That's the maximum number of players the base game can accommodate, and I don't want to get into the expansions just yet.  Maybe in a couple more rounds...

There will be another change if we get to 12 or 13 players; new roles not seen in the first game.  There will be one added with the 12th player, and another with the 13th.  I didn't think they were necessary for the first attempt since we were all learning how to play.  They'll add a bit more complexity if their in play, but I'll save the details for if they do enter the game.

I'm also going to use a mostly rigid time frame on this game instead of the pre-voting nonsense that got thrown out quickly in the first game.  Voting can occur at anytime after the start, but it won't be counted (even if someone gets majority or plurality of the votes) until a designated time after the start.  So everyone will have plenty of time to discuss information, defend themselves, and/or change their minds on who they are voting for.  After I call for the official vote, there will be a small window of voting time.  At the close of that, votes are official, and the game will be resolved.

I'm also willing to entertain any suggestions for other changes, if anyone has any.

• Love 3

For Dougal

1. Mark
  2. Drogo
  3. CP
  4. Machiabelly
  5. BizBuzz
  6. Lisin
  7. Jesse
  8. SilverStormm
  9. Dougal

10. Oinky Boinky

I know it is called one night werewolf but what I would like is one more night. 

Felt the last time just getting the swing of it and knew what to do when the game was over.

• Love 2

If it's feasible for me to do given Australia time, I'd like to get in on the next game.  

1.   Mark
   2. Drogo
   3.  CP
   4.  Machiabelly
   5.  BizBuzz
   6.  Lisin
   7. Jesse

8. SilverStormm
   9.  Dougal
   10. Oinky Boinky
   11.  aquarian1
    12. Athena

13.  MuuMuuChainsmoker

• Love 3

Welcome to the Madhouse, MuuMuu! As you've probably noticed, we're going to take liberties by shortening your name. Don't worry about the time difference, especially for a standard game. When we were playing at TWoP, we had several women who were living in both Australia and NZ. Our slogan used to be "Mafia: Because having a life is dumb." Our German insomniac absolutely proved that one true.

Now I'm wondering how many of us are in which time zone. I know at least five of us are in Central, although I'll be in Pacific starting Saturday.

• Love 3

I am also in Eastern time and leave it to others to figure out when -05:00 becomes -04:00.

Welcome MuuMuu!

Ditto. Also ugh... we "spring forward" like next week or something right?

• Love 2

Spring Forward for Daylight Savings time North Americans: March 13!

I prefer what the Brits call it though: British Summer Time (March 27). We'll have one week to be closer to Silver timewise any way.

• Love 4

I'm in the Atlantic Zone, which is an hour ahead of Eastern.

We villains made two huge mistakes early on. First, we forgot to send in a kill order the first night. Second, we tried to take out Drogo on the second night, when we should've known he'd be protected up the wazoo. (We also assumed that protecting me the second night would carry over to the next day, but that's neither here nor there.)

• Love 2

First wave of PMs is out.  But please do not acknowledge if you have received yours, or ask about yours if you haven't.  Not until all have been sent out.

This is in part due to one of the 2 new roles entering the game; one of the more complicated roles.  The Doppelganger.  She is the first to act and can copy anyone else's role, including their night action.  Remember that for some roles, their action is getting specific information about other players with no choices involved.  So some roles may get information regarding what the Doppel doubles.  But not until they do so.  Which means if you haven't yet received your role, I'm waiting on the Doppelganger to act before can receive your role and all your information.

The other new role is the Tanner.  The Tanner is a new faction; neither villager or wolf.  According to the lore of the game, the Tanner hates his job, hates his life, and wants to die.  Thus the Tanner can only win if he is killed, and will try to get the village to vote for him.

I think you can see why I didn't want to put these two in the first time.

• Love 4

Along those lines, yeah.

Anyway, all PMs are now out.  The game will start sometime after I have received everyone's Night actions.  Until then...

Everyone, close your eyes.

• Love 3