Type keyword(s) to search

One Night Ultimate Werewolf (ONUW) Mafia Games

• Start Topic

And since I've heard from almost everyone I sent the first wave of invitations to, I might as well go ahead and start the playtest of One Night Ultimate Werewolf. 

I'm thinking of this as a kind of quick LOL!Mafia, or our usual Night-time bar shenanigans just with a game going on too.

This game is going to be a bit different from other games we've played. 

First, I kept the Werewolf theme, to help distinguish it from our Mafia games.  I may translate some terms as needed, but generally won't.

Second, there's no story.  No need for one really, since it's just the One Night.

Third, in addition to a role for all the players, there are three vacant and unknown roles.  Those play a part in the game.  The complete list of all possible roles:

• 2 Werewolves
  • 1 Minion
  • 2 Masons
  • 1 Seer
  • 1 Robber
  • 1 Troublemaker
  • 1 Drunk
  • 1 Insomniac
  • 3 Villagers
  • 1 Hunter

The Villagers and Hunter do not have Night actions.  Every other role does have one and they act in the order listed above.

Fourth, some of the Night actions are arbitrary; as in there's no choices involved.  They just give certain players limited information.  That information will be included with the role.  But some Night actions do require a choice.  I ask that anyone that has one of those actions please make your choices quickly.   If I don't get a decision after a certain amount of time, I'll declare that you opted to take no action.

Fifth, there is a good chance you might not be the same role when the game ends.  And depending on your role, you might find that out.  So part of the game is trying to determine which side you're on.  Then figuring out how to survive and win.

Sixth, you know how we typically just hint at our characters and roles here?  In this game, just go ahead and say what you are.  It'll be up to everyone else to decide whether or not to believe you. 

Now some logistics.  Instead of just voting per GM fiat as before, players can call for the vote.  Basically just vote to vote.  If/when there's a simple majority to vote, it'll be voting time.  Otherwise, the vote must begin at 8 pm EDT on Sunday.  When voting starts, everyone needs to vote.  Whomever receives the most votes is "killed" and then I will reveal the results; what role the deceased played (along with everyone else's final roles) and which side won.  If there is a tie, all tied players are killed.  If there's time, I'll post a full breakdown of events and actions.  If not, I'll send that to anyone that want via PM.

Questions are encouraged, both in the PMs and during the game.  I'll try to answer as quickly as I can.

So, if we're ready...

Everyone, close your eyes...

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 5
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a PM! And the snow has started here in central VA! PANIC!!!

Still waiting here in West By God but they just showed the roads by my office (Gainesville VA) and I'm really glad we closed today because they're already covered and people drive like morons.

So, how do we start this mini-game?

• Love 4

This storm?  Apparently is going to give up somewhere near the southern suburbs of Boston.  Portland is getting nothing (but virtually every flight in and out of the Jetport is cancelled for lack of the second endpoint).

• Love 4

All Night actions are finally completed.  Everyone, Wake Up!

Here are the dramatis personae in our village, where we suspect there are werewolves.

• Drogo
  • Aquarian1
  • Machiabelly
  • Lisin
  • BizBuzz
  • Athena
  • Hanged Man
  • MarkHB
  • Oinky Boinky
  • caprice
  • SVNBob

The last chair at this game was first offered to Jesse, but they politely declined.  The easiest and quickest solution was to take the spot myself.  I know I know everything, but I think for the sake of a playtest, and getting this done before Monday, I can keep Mod knowledge separate from player knowledge.   If anyone objects, I can hand the chair and role off to a volunteer.

In any case, I have no player knowledge.  I am a Villager and was asleep all Night.

• Love 3

This seems like the start but have there already been night actions? If that was night I was asleep or dreaming through it too. 

(Bob if  we have simple questions during day can we ask you or do we have to PM?  I'm a little confused are we going to have multiple nights that cycle quickly or just one night and one day?   a little busy today and don't want to miss the whole thing- if it goes til Monday that is great) 

Well if anyone knows anything - time to speak. 

I am a Villager also, I was drunk in a ditch all night, weird dreams or did I wake up? By the light of the moon I saw something, heard something.  

• Love 2

Machiabelly - do you play golf in PEI? I am going there to play for the first time next June.

I don't play golf and I haven't been to PEI in 40 years, but do far as following threads goes, if you tick the check box you'll get notifications, otherwise it just shows up in the "Threads" panel of My Shows. Try Following again to change it; the instructions there are confusing.

And I am a Villager who slept like a rock.

• Love 2

I can keep Mod knowledge separate from player knowledge.   If anyone objects, I can hand the chair and role off to a volunteer.

In any case, I have no player knowledge.  I am a Villager and was asleep all Night.

I am ok with your dual role ...

Yawn ... it's a lazy morning ... I slept soundly, eager to go werewolf hunting ...

(edited)

This seems like the start but have there already been night actions? If that was night I was asleep or dreaming through it too.

(Bob if  we have simple questions during day can we ask you or do we have to PM?  I'm a little confused are we going to have multiple nights that cycle quickly or just one night and one day?   a little busy today and don't want to miss the whole thing- if it goes til Monday that is great

[GM Hat]If it's a question specifically about your role, I'd prefer those via PM.  But general questions about this game, like the rest of the questions asked here, can be either/or.  But I'll compile any PM'd questions into a post or two and make them all public after the game is over.  Probably during a Night phase in the Xena game, when we're drinking anyway.

As for the rest: This is a One Night game, and we completed that.  All the Night actions have happened.  Now is the One Day, where the villagers try to find a werewolf and the werewolves try to hide.  The Day, and thus the entire game, will last until Sunday 8 pm EDT or until a majority call for the vote, whichever occurs first.  [/GM Hat]

So, Oinky, Mark, and I claim the 3 Villager roles.  Is there anyone that can contradict any of our claims?

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 1

So, Oinky, Mark, and I claim the 3 Villager roles.  Is there anyone that can contradict any of our claims?

Can't contradict that! But I am on your team! I didn't get much sleep last night.

Also at this time we have just over 2 feet of snow with an expected 5-6 more inches coming. Eek! My dogs are PISSED!  

• Love 1

I thought about contradicting one of you, you know, for the fun of it. However, I decided that it wouldn't be worth the trouble. Besides, we're on the same team.

Because I have a nearly pristine yard, one of my little neighbors is coming over tomorrow to help me build a snowman. :D

• Love 2

Bringing the list over so we don't have to flip back to the last page...

• 2 Werewolves
  • 1 Minion
  • 2 Masons
  • 1 Seer
  • 1 Robber
  • 1 Troublemaker
  • 1 Drunk
  • 1 Insomniac
  • 3 Villagers
  • 1 Hunter

• Drogo
  • Aquarian1
  • Machiabelly
  • Lisin
  • BizBuzz
  • Athena
  • Hanged Man
  • MarkHB
  • Oinky Boinky
  • caprice
  • SVNBob

Oinky, Mark, and Bob claim the 3 Villager roles

Lisin claims the insomniac 

caprice is hinting at troublemaker

• Love 3

Well, for sure everyone is going to claim they are a villager, that is the name of the game.  However, I know I am a villager, and with all the have checked in so far, I can only say my "feeling" is that the only one telling the truth so far is Drogo.  

• Love 1

Well, for sure everyone is going to claim they are a villager, that is the name of the game.  However, I know I am a villager, and with all the have checked in so far, I can only say my "feeling" is that the only one telling the truth so far is Drogo.  

I don't know, since our goal is just to find and kill a Werewolf people could be claiming anything else really right? Since I think (and this is pure assumption) that kind of everyone else is a villager, just that some have other "titles" within that class? Or something? So, I'm an Insomniac Villager right? So one of them may be lying, or one of them may be, the Drunk for example, who is still technically a villager but is also a Drunk. I don't know. I've now confused myself. 

• Love 2

I've now confused myself. 

Hmmm, that is what drunks usually do ... they confuse themselves, isn't that interesting?  

But Mafia is meant to confuse people ... so you could be the werewolf just trying to blend in with the crowd.  While playing Mafia, one has to be very observant, seeing the underlying current of what is being said.  

Watch ... that is all I can say.  I still think Drogo is telling the truth.  

• Love 1

Way I see it: if you're the Drunk and you decided to be forthcoming about your role, you'd say you're the Drunk. You wouldn't say you're a Villager.

Biz seems to be on the side of the good. She obviously sees something in me.

I was the Robber and I know whose role I stole so I know one of those 3 "Villagers" is the Robber now- which means they're lying about being a Villager, but also means they're not a Werewolf.

The other 2 are suspect.

• Love 2

Ok, so that makes sense, and also means we can rule out Drogo and the person who is lying... right? And I'm the Insomniac, I have no reason to believe or disbelieve anyone at this point... I wonder if the person Drogo robbed could have then after the fact been turned? Maybe that's why they're lying? I feel like ultimately we need more people talking in here to know what's actually going on. 

• Love 2
(edited)
Since I think (and this is pure assumption) that kind of everyone else is a villager, just that some have other "titles" within that class? Or something?

[GM Hat]Exactly.  Everyone lives in the village (a villager), but there are only 3 Villagers.  Villagers are the plain, powerless Heroes.  Other villagers have abilities, like the Robber or Insomniac, so they aren't Villagers.[/GM Hat]

I was the Robber and I know whose role I stole so I know one of those 3 "Villagers" is the Robber now- which means they're lying about being a Villager, but also means they're not a Werewolf.

But see, we wouldn't know that.  As starting Villagers, all we would know is just that; we started as Villagers.  It's not a lie per se.  It's not knowing what else happened.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 3

So, Drogo is claiming he was the Robber and stole the Villager from one of Oinky, Mark, or me.  And Biz claims he's telling the truth.  Two possibilities present themselves.

1. Truth.  Drogo was the Robber and stole a Villager card.  Since Biz is certain he's not lying, she's probably the Seer and saw his Robber.
  2. Lie.  Drogo and Biz are the Werewolves and covering for each other.

Can anyone else claim Robber or Seer?

• Love 2

So, Drogo is claiming he was the Robber and stole the Villager from one of Oinky, Mark, or me. And Biz claims he's telling the truth. Two possibilities present themselves.

• Truth. Drogo was the Robber and stole a Villager card. Since Biz is certain he's not lying, she's probably the Seer and saw his Robber.
  • Lie. Drogo and Biz are the Werewolves and covering for each other.

I'm interested to see if anyone claims Robber, Bob.

• Love 1

Drogo if you robbed a villager are they now the robber? You can't trust that person on that basis because you don't know what they robbed. They could rob a werewolf identity and have you claim they must be a villager. How you left them holds no guarantee.

• Love 2

Drogo if you robbed a villager are they now the robber? You can't trust that person on that basis because you don't know what they robbed. They could rob a werewolf identity and have you claim they must be a villager. How you left them holds no guarantee.

Well, yes and no. But not because of what you think.

When the Robber acts, the person he stole from doesn't know they were robbed and don't get a chance to act as the Robber themselves.  But the Robber learns what he stole.  So what Drogo is claiming is that he started as the Robber, and stole from someone that had one of the 3 Villager cards.  That person is now unknowingly the Robber, and Drogo is a Villager.  But since the Robber is on the village's side (ie, not a Wolf), Drogo can trust who he stole from.

What complicates the matter is the Troublemaker.  Her power is to blindly swap the cards of two other players.  She could have chosen the same person as Drogo as one side of the swap, and a Werewolf as the other and forced two players to change sides without anyone knowing it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Is that in-game for those two?  It sounds a lot like real life.

[GM Hat]No comment.[/GM Hat]

However, this is good point to update the claims.

Oinky, Mark, and Bob claim the 3 Villager roles.

Drogo claims Robber and stole one of the above Villager roles.

Biz claims Drogo is telling truth...hinting at Seer?

Lisin claims the insomniac

caprice is hinting at troublemaker

Machia claiming he and Hanged Man are Masons.

Athena claiming not Drunk...and that's all.

aquarian is just suspicious of everyone...fair enough.

Looking at this, I can see 3 potential pairs of Wolves:

• Drogo and Biz, hiding as Robber and Seer.
  • Machia and Hanged Man, hiding as Masons.
  • Athena and aquarian, who haven't actually claimed anything...

Can anyone counter anyone else's claim of a role?  Anyone have any more information to share?

[GM Hat]stacey and everyone else, feel free to play along and/or have side conversations.  This is a side game..nothing official.  Think of this as a party at someone's house.  Everyone can play along if they want.[/GM Hat]

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 3

Is that in-game for those two?  It sounds a lot like real life.

Oh, you're a funny one, Mark. Then again, you've known me for nearly ten years.... Given the timing of the game and my RL, "Drunk" might have been appropriate for me. However, my character is completely sober. Too bad. I'm a fun drunk.

Good thing you already know my middle name. ;)

Nice hint, aquarian!

Edited by caprice
  • Love 4

So, Drogo is claiming he was the Robber and stole the Villager from one of Oinky, Mark, or me.  And Biz claims he's telling the truth.  Two possibilities present themselves.

1. Truth.  Drogo was the Robber and stole a Villager card.  Since Biz is certain he's not lying, she's probably the Seer and saw his Robber.
  2. Lie.  Drogo and Biz are the Werewolves and covering for each other.

I vote #2. Drogo and Biz came up with this pretty fast - smells of night planning. 

• Love 3

Thinking about the troublemaker. 

Is this overt or covert? 

Overt they would be in here yapping and stirring the pot. 

We aren't seeing that so it must be covert trouble making abilities and I wonder what that might be.

I was really drunk, paralyzed in that ditch, I think Caprice slipped something into my protein shake. 

• Love 3

I vote #2. Drogo and Biz came up with this pretty fast - smells of night planning.

Nay. I was the Robber and Biz is just an innocent all-knowing bystander who came forth to help the town by validating my truthfulness.

Take me if you must, Townspeople With Ye Olde Pitchforks, but leave Biz alone. I have committed many sins in life though not in this game... btw, Lisin, here's your Ambien... I, umm, borrowed it.

To recap, Oinky: I stole the role of Villager from one of the three claimed Villagers (you, Mark, Bob) who is now The Robber and not Villager... and it wasn't you.

At this point you're more suspicious to me than the other party.

1 vote for Oinky.

• Love 2

Damn it! I'm so torn!! Because on the one hand everything Drogo says makes total sense (also THANKS for returning the ambien. I could have used it last night though!) but on the other hand, since at the moment Biz is the only person voting with Drogo I'm hesitant to jump in simply because as Bob said they could be the Werewolves playing us hard right now. 

In non-game news here's an awesome snow gauge a friend of  mine made. We got 40.5 inches in my teeny town.

SpfU9Ey.jpg

• Love 5

Rules question: can we just go ahead and start voting for Oinky, or do we have to vote on moving the question (vote-to-vote) first?

I vote to move the question, and I also vote for Oinky, depending on how the rules work.  And it's likely I'll be disengaged for most of the rest of the day (note my avatar ;) .

• Love 2

Rules question: can we just go ahead and start voting for Oinky, or do we have to vote on moving the question (vote-to-vote) first?

I vote to move the question, and I also vote for Oinky, depending on how the rules work.

[GM Hat]Making you all vote twice seems like a silly idea now.  Might as well forgo the rule about voting to vote and just vote.  However, I will officially add this to the voting rules: You cannot vote for yourself. [/GM Hat]

Summing up the votes:

3 Oinky Boinky (Drogo, Biz, Mark)

1 Drogo (Machiabelly)

Damn it! I'm so torn!! Because on the one hand everything Drogo says makes total sense (also THANKS for returning the ambien. I could have used it last night though!) but on the other hand, since at the moment Biz is the only person voting with Drogo I'm hesitant to jump in simply because as Bob said they could be the Werewolves playing us hard right now.

With aquarian claiming Hunter now, and still no one counter-claiming any of the claims anyone has made, I see a few possibilities.

Starting with the claim log:

Villagers: Oinky, Mark, Bob.

Robber: Drogo (stole a Villager from Mark or me)

Seer: Biz (saw Drogo as Robber)

Troublemaker: caprice (has not said what trouble she made)

Masons: Machia and Hanged Man (only claimed by Machia)

Insomniac: Lisin

Hunter: aquarian1

Back to the question of Drogo and Biz.  I've actually changed my mind about that.  Here's the train of thought.  If we assume they're both lying and the Werewolves, then they got very lucky on claiming two roles that no-one had, since there aren't any counter-claims on either of those roles.  Is it possible? Yes.  Likely?  Not that much.  So I think it's safe to assume that neither of them is lying about their starting roles. 

Which means that Biz is the Seer.  And she did indeed see Drogo as the Robber.  So we can trust her.

But the Robber acts after the Seer.  Drogo could be lying about what he stole and from whom.  We can't be as sure about him as we can be about Biz.

And then there's the question of Athena.  All she's said is she's not the Drunk.  If not that, then what is she?

• Love 2

[GM Hat]Making you all vote twice seems like a silly idea now.  Might as well forgo the rule about voting to vote and just vote.  However, I will officially add this to the voting rules: You cannot vote for yourself. [/GM Hat]

Summing up the votes:

1 Drogo (Machiabelly)

With aquarian claiming Hunter now, and still no one counter-claiming any of the claims anyone has made, I see a few possibilities.

Back to the question of Drogo and Biz.  I've actually changed my mind about that.  Here's the train of thought.  If we assume they're both lying and the Werewolves, then they got very lucky on claiming two roles that no-one had, since there aren't any counter-claims on either of those roles.  Is it possible? Yes.  Likely?  Not that much.  So I think it's safe to assume that neither of them is lying about their starting roles. 

Which means that Biz is the Seer.  And she did indeed see Drogo as the Robber.  So we can trust her.

But the Robber acts after the Seer.  Drogo could be lying about what he stole and from whom.  We can't be as sure about him as we can be about Biz.

And then there's the question of Athena.  All she's said is she's not the Drunk.  If not that, then what is she?

Ok, all that makes sense to me. I'm going to go ahead and vote because I have to start shoveling at some point. 

4 Oinky Boinky (Drogo, Biz, Mark, Lisin)

1 Drogo (Machiabelly)

• Love 1

I just noticed there are 14 roles and 11 players...do we as players know what roles are not filled. Maybe Seer isn't even filled and that is why no rebuttal.

Also, if someone else was the robber and they robbed werewolf, then they also wouldn't rebut

• Love 1

I'm with Machia on the oddity of 14 roles and 11 players.

Well, yes and no. But not because of what you think.

When the Robber acts, the person he stole from doesn't know they were robbed and don't get a chance to act as the Robber themselves.  But the Robber learns what he stole.  So what Drogo is claiming is that he started as the Robber, and stole from someone that had one of the 3 Villager cards.  That person is now unknowingly the Robber, and Drogo is a Villager.  But since the Robber is on the village's side (ie, not a Wolf), Drogo can trust who he stole from.

What complicates the matter is the Troublemaker.  Her power is to blindly swap the cards of two other players.  She could have chosen the same person as Drogo as one side of the swap, and a Werewolf as the other and forced two players to change sides without anyone knowing it.

That swap was certainly blind.

Summing up the votes:

1 Drogo (Machiabelly)

Am I supposed to say what I did? What I did may cause an interesting wrinkle in your theorizing, though it might also help to clarify a few things. I'm not sure how it would do that because I'm thoroughly confused.

• Love 1
Am I supposed to say what I did? What I did may cause an interesting wrinkle in your theorizing, though it might also help to clarify a few things.

If what you did affects the theory, then yes, please tell.

• Love 1