Type keyword(s) to search

Good Eats: The Return - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, illini1959 said:

Did I miss where anyone explained the difference between Reloaded and Return and is Reloaded returning? 😄 

<if so, sorry!> 

Reloaded are old episodes where Alton does a new introduction and sometimes has new information on the screen. Return are entirely new episodes though sometimes about topics he has done in the past and might contain limited flashback footage. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, lambertman said:

Last two new episodes of The Return air Sunday night at 11 & 11:30 pm, so it would seem that that will be it for Return.

According to This article fans are already clamoring for another season and FN is in the process of talking with Alton right now about doing one.  So it looks like it may not be over just yet, YAY! 😎

• Love 2

S15.E12: Whole Latke Love

Alton Brown delves into the history of and techniques for the classic Hanukkah dish which was originally made with an Italian cheese.

S15.E13: Holiday Spirits

Alton prepares low-alcohol beverage recipes for holiday get-togethers.

Original air date: 12/15/19

• Love 1
4 hours ago, b2H said:

Alton will find out the hard way that his viewership will be drastically reduced.  

And so will FN.  It's sad when they think keeping FN free for more cake decorating and GGG reruns is a better alternative to airing new episodes of "Good Eats".  They could have at least moved it to the Cooking Channel, but no.

• Love 5
On 2/13/2021 at 2:33 PM, QuantumMechanic said:

Season two of Good Eats: The Return will only be available on the new discovery+ streamer.  AB announced this on FB page the other day 😞

This annoys me to no end.  I’m not paying for more streaming services.  I already pay for cable. I really like this show and now I’ll miss out.  This doesn’t make me want to watch FN more.  It actually makes me want to avoid it completely. What’s the point of having a channel available through cable if everything new is going to be on streaming?  

Edited by Peper81
  • Love 9

S16.E1: Marrow Minded

Bone marrow isn't just for fancy gastropubs. Host Alton Brown delivers everything you need to know to enjoy "God's butter" at home.

Recipes:
Roasted Bone Marrow with Parsley Topping
Bone Marrow Panna Cotta

S16.E2: In Cold Brew

Brewing cold opens all-new dimensions of coffee enjoyment. And no, iced coffee isn't the same thing.

Recipes:
Kyoto-Style Cold Brew Coffee
Cold Brew with Chicory
Hot Start Cold Brew

S16.E3: Flat Is Beautiful VI: Fry Bread, Fry

Not all great breads come from the oven. Alton takes on two very different fried breads, each with a twist.

Recipes:
Hungarian Langos
Scallion Pancakes

Original air date: 2/18/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1

Watched the first two. About the same feel as last season’s episodes - that is, slower-paced than the old series but still with some funny lines. AB’s cold brew setup is kind of ridiculous, even for him. The marrow ep was fairly intriguing throughout. 

Will get to the third one this weekend. 

I’m kind of furious that this will only be available on discovery+.  I follow Alton on Instagram and check in on Twitter every once in a while; he is being roasted over the coals by about 75% of his followers for this.  I’m sure that he only had so much control over how this show would be distributed moving forward, but what a way for Food Network to treat his loyal viewers after over 20 years.  I’ll be honest: I’ve been toying with the idea of being done with Alton Brown for a while now.  He was always kind of a low-grade ass, which I used to enjoy, mainly because he was also intelligent as hell, but now . . . I don’t know.  It feels different somehow.  I could still ignore it now if not for his terribly insensitive (and kind of unbalanced, honestly) social media posts from last fall and the often arrogant, insufferable way he acts on that Quarantine Quitchen show he does with his new wife on YouTube.  I’m kind of turned off in general.  I typically try to enjoy whatever talent that celebrities bring to the table and leave their personal lives out of it, but it’s harder here, probably because I don’t often like what I see when he pulls back the curtain to allow us that peek inside.

These networks really do flatter themselves, thinking that tons of people will be willing to pay even more money for multiple digital streaming services, on top of the already exorbitant prices we pay for cable- especially in this time when so many are struggling.  There are days when the Food Network doesn’t even seem to be worth watching, especially if you’re not into 10-year-old episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives or watching people decorate four-foot-tall cakes.  I guess I’ll keep cooking from my Good Eats cookbooks and catch the reruns when they air.

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

I’m kind of furious that this will only be available on discovery+.  I follow Alton on Instagram and check in on Twitter every once in a while; he is being roasted over the coals by about 75% of his followers for this.  I’m sure that he only had so much control over how this show would be distributed moving forward, but what a way for Food Network to treat his loyal viewers after over 20 years.  I’ll be honest: I’ve been toying with the idea of being done with Alton Brown for a while now.  He was always kind of a low-grade ass, which I used to enjoy, mainly because he was also intelligent as hell, but now . . . I don’t know.  It feels different somehow.  I could still ignore it now if not for his terribly insensitive (and kind of unbalanced, honestly) social media posts from last fall and the often arrogant, insufferable way he acts on that Quarantine Quitchen show he does with his new wife on YouTube.  I’m kind of turned off in general.  I typically try to enjoy whatever talent that celebrities bring to the table and leave their personal lives out of it, but it’s harder here, probably because I don’t often like what I see when he pulls back the curtain to allow us that peek inside.

These networks really do flatter themselves, thinking that tons of people will be willing to pay even more money for multiple digital streaming services, on top of the already exorbitant prices we pay for cable- especially in this time when so many are struggling.  There are days when the Food Network doesn’t even seem to be worth watching, especially if you’re not into 10-year-old episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives or watching people decorate four-foot-tall cakes.  I guess I’ll keep cooking from my Good Eats cookbooks and catch the reruns when they air.

I had to unlike your post just so I could like it again. Interestingly enough, my Facebook memories reminded me of when I went to his live show 6 years ago. I was so excited and proud. Now, if he had another live show (that we could safely attend), I wouldn’t even bother. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I won't be watching, their loss.  They can put all the crap they want on streaming services, if they think I am going to sign up they can kiss my ass.  I have already drastically reduced what I do watch on cable.  I am not going to fill that void with streaming services.

What I might do is wait for them all to come out and then pay for 1 month of the service and binge them.  5-6 hours (I assume the season is 10-12 half-hour episodes) for $5 isn't bad value.  But there's no way in hell I'm gonna be an ongoing subscriber.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

What I might do is wait for them all to come out and then pay for 1 month of the service and binge them.  5-6 hours (I assume the season is 10-12 half-hour episodes) for $5 isn't bad value.  But there's no way in hell I'm gonna be an ongoing subscriber.

Discovery+ comes with a 7 day free trial of you can figure out how to not renew when the 7 days is up.

• Useful 3

Honestly, at some point when I retire, I will probably be disconnecting cable and going to Hulu or some other streaming service for complicated reasons where I am retiring to.  Maybe then, if it is still available, but not while I still have cable.

On 2/20/2021 at 2:14 PM, icemiser69 said:

I can't stand Guy, that insufferable gas bag.  In my mind I call that series, Douchebags, Dip-shits, and Dorkwads.

Same. Everything about him just screams tryhard jackass. I don't know why the Food Network thinks having reruns of his shows on constantly is appealing.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same. Everything about him just screams tryhard jackass. I don't know why the Food Network thinks having reruns of his shows on constantly is appealing.

Unfortunately it appeals to all the jackasses that make even his reruns have better ratings than "Good Eats" first runs, and that's why.

I am amongst kindred spirits here, I can see that.  I am so livid over this I can't even see straight.  I was already ranting over other shows in the Discovery universe moving over but this one hurts most of all because I waited for YEARS for it to come back only to have it snatched away again.  I'm able to watch it for now because Verizon gave me a 6 month trial but after that I have to say goodbye to a bunch of shows.  It's really dirty pool to do this to people who are already paying $187,000,000 a month for cable.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:02 PM, Suzy Rhapsody said:

He was always kind of a low-grade ass, which I used to enjoy, mainly because he was also intelligent as hell, but now . . . I don’t know.  It feels different somehow.  I could still ignore it now if not for his terribly insensitive (and kind of unbalanced, honestly) social media posts from last fall and the often arrogant, insufferable way he acts on that Quarantine Quitchen show he does with his new wife on YouTube.  I’m kind of turned off in general.  I typically try to enjoy whatever talent that celebrities bring to the table and leave their personal lives out of it, but it’s harder here, probably because I don’t often like what I see when he pulls back the curtain to allow us that peek inside.

I don't follow his social media - can you or someone clue me in on the insensitive and kind of unbalanced social media posts from last Fall?

I will agree that something feels different about him somehow.  Some people have theorized that what we see now the "real him" and what he used to project on TV was an act but I really don't know enough about it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Unfortunately it appeals to all the jackasses that make even his reruns have better ratings than "Good Eats" first runs, and that's why.

I am amongst kindred spirits here, I can see that.  I am so livid over this I can't even see straight.  I was already ranting over other shows in the Discovery universe moving over but this one hurts most of all because I waited for YEARS for it to come back only to have it snatched away again.  I'm able to watch it for now because Verizon gave me a 6 month trial but after that I have to say goodbye to a bunch of shows.  It's really dirty pool to do this to people who are already paying $187,000,000 a month for cable.

I don't follow his social media - can you or someone clue me in on the insensitive and kind of unbalanced social media posts from last Fall?

I will agree that something feels different about him somehow.  Some people have theorized that what we see now the "real him" and what he used to project on TV was an act but I really don't know enough about it.

It went from this the day before the election to making holocaust jokes not long afterward.  Here is a pretty good review of the whole thing.

To make things even worse, he deleted scores of critical Instagram comments, even the more thoughtful ones that did not get down into the weeds.  He was completely silent for far too long and only resurfaced to push the return of his show.  The more I think about it, the more I dislike him as a person- and the more I suspect that his own actions (which are not new) earned him his spot on discovery+, at least in part.  I really don’t see where he can go from there in terms of TV.  The Food Network airing (shelving?) his show on a streaming platform that only a small percentage of his fan base will buy sure does feel to me like the sunset of his career. 

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

It went from this the day before the election to making holocaust jokes not long afterward.  Here is a pretty good review of the whole thing.

To make things even worse, he deleted scores of critical Instagram comments, even the more thoughtful ones that did not get down into the weeds.  He was completely silent for far too long and only resurfaced to push the return of his show.  The more I think about it, the more I dislike him as a person- and the more I suspect that his own actions (which are not new) earned him his spot on discovery+, at least in part.  I really don’t see where he can go from there in terms of TV.  The Food Network airing (shelving?) his show on a streaming platform that only a small percentage of his fan base will buy sure does feel to me like the sunset of his career. 

I agree that the Auschwitz comment was in poor taste and deserved his apology, but I don't get the outrage at him voicing his other opinions.  A lot of stars have voiced such opinions in what I think are much uglier ways and no one has cared.  Maybe it's because he never said anything and then suddenly blurted something out that wouldn't make him popular with a lot of people depending on what angle they were coming from.  I understand that situation because I usually come at issues from all sides.  People today only like you if you are from one side of an issue only.  No one can tolerate shades of gray anymore.  You're vilified if you can see gradations in anything.  Or if people disagree with you.  You're not allowed to have opposing opinions on certain subjects and still be considered a good person.  I may not agree with people on certain things but it won't necessarily make me not like them.  My best friend has religious beliefs I don't agree with but I'm not going to cancel her out of my life or call her an asshole because of it.  She's entitled to have an opinion I don't agree with.

I personally hate Twitter and the Twitter mindset .  I don't even have an account.  I think it is full of people looking for something to find outrage at when their own friends and relatives say worse things around the kitchen table and no one bats an eye.  We used to be able to tolerate other people's opinions that we don't agree with without canceling them.  And I personally don't see what's wrong with his opinions other than the Auschwitz comment, which I don't even think was intended as a slur against Jews (and I'm part Jew myself).  It was just a poor choice of words for an analogy probably because he was drinking at the time and didn't edit himself.  The only thing wrong with Alton in those funny out-there comments in his first Twitter posting rant is that his right brain was going off in space while probably drinking wine or some other alcohol, and that is the way he was showing how frustrated he was with what was going on that day.  I think that it was hilarious and definitely tongue in cheek, not a sign of any mental issue.  The worst thing I can say about him here is that he should lay off the booze when he posts.  Just my personal and probably unpopular opinion. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Thank you for sharing. I knew something had happened, but couldn't completely figure out what.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree that the Auschwitz comment was in poor taste and deserved his apology, but I don't get the outrage at him voicing his other opinions.  A lot of stars have voiced such opinions in what I think are much uglier ways and no one has cared.  Maybe it's because he never said anything and then suddenly blurted something out that wouldn't make him popular with a lot of people depending on what angle they were coming from.  I understand that situation because I usually come at issues from all sides.  People today only like you if you are from one side of an issue only.  No one can tolerate shades of gray anymore.  You're vilified if you can see gradations in anything.  Or if people disagree with you.  You're not allowed to have opposing opinions on certain subjects and still be considered a good person.  I may not agree with people on certain things but it won't necessarily make me not like them.  My best friend has religious beliefs I don't agree with but I'm not going to cancel her out of my life or call her an asshole because of it.  She's entitled to have an opinion I don't agree with.

I personally hate Twitter and the Twitter mindset .  I don't even have an account.  I think it is full of people looking for something to find outrage at when their own friends and relatives say worse things around the kitchen table and no one bats an eye.  We used to be able to tolerate other people's opinions that we don't agree with without canceling them.  And I personally don't see what's wrong with his opinions other than the Auschwitz comment, which I don't even think was intended as a slur against Jews (and I'm part Jew myself).  It was just a poor choice of words for an analogy probably because he was drinking at the time and didn't edit himself.  The only thing wrong with Alton in those funny out-there comments in his first Twitter posting rant is that his right brain was going off in space while probably drinking wine or some other alcohol, and that is the way he was showing how frustrated he was with what was going on that day.  I think that it was hilarious and definitely tongue in cheek, not a sign of any mental issue.  The worst thing I can say about him here is that he should lay off the booze when he posts.  Just my personal and probably unpopular opinion. 

Great post.  I don’t think your opinion is unpopular at all!  I loathe Twitter and any sort of herd mentality.  I think that social media allows otherwise innocent comments to be blown out of proportion.  It makes it far too easy for people to dismiss entire mindsets without giving them a chance to come together with others, explore it further, and actually learn.

You mentioned alcohol.  I almost mentioned that in my post, too, so I’ll do it now.  I do think that Alton has a drinking issue that has influenced some of these “incidents.”  He admitted as much a few years ago, but I think it’s worse than he’s said.  I don’t believe he’s some evil person, but I don’t believe that he’s a very nice guy either.  Funnily enough, he’d probably be the first to admit that- and proudly so!  He sure can cook, though. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Great post.  I don’t think your opinion is unpopular at all!  I loathe Twitter and any sort of herd mentality.  I think that social media allows otherwise innocent comments to be blown out of proportion.  It makes it far too easy for people to dismiss entire mindsets without giving them a chance to come together with others, explore it further, and actually learn.

You mentioned alcohol.  I almost mentioned that in my post, too, so I’ll do it now.  I do think that Alton has a drinking issue that has influenced some of these “incidents.”  He admitted as much a few years ago, but I think it’s worse than he’s said.  I don’t believe he’s some evil person, but I don’t believe that he’s a very nice guy either.  Funnily enough, he’d probably be the first to admit that- and proudly so!  He sure can cook, though. 

Thanks, I was afraid of how you would take that.  I agree with you that he has a drinking issue and I don't know what's up with him proudly admitting that he can be an ass but I've heard he had some kind of dysfunctional childhood or something so that might explain it.  I wish I didn't know so much about him and only remembered him as he appeared in his first season of Good Eats over 20 years ago.  Ah, to return to those "innocent" days..... 😉

• Love 1
On 2/23/2021 at 3:57 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

His reruns are highly than most first run episodes they run.

All the media conglomerates are trying to entice people to their streaming service by offering exclusives, Good Eats has always had a loyal if a bit niche audience because the show plays up the science and nerdier aspects of cooking compared to big personalities like Emeril or Guy or the spectacle of something like Iron Chef, so it's not really surprising that they'd tap GE as a potential draw.

In a landscape where the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises are being used as streamer exclusives, being on Discovery Plus isn't a demotion or lack of faith for Good Eats.

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

No problem! Hopefully it's helpful for people who can't watch the episodes now that the show is on Discovery+

I am one of those people and do really appreciate the recipes!

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So Alton Brown, who always rails against unitaskers, is now in favor of using a popcorn popper to toast sesame seeds? What kind of topsy turvy world is this?

Well I guess if you're toasting sesame seeds in it, it's not a unitasker anymore.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2021 at 12:34 PM, Peper81 said:

This annoys me to no end.  I’m not paying for more streaming services.  I already pay for cable. I really like this show and now I’ll miss out.  This doesn’t make me want to watch FN more.  It actually makes me want to avoid it completely. What’s the point of having a channel available through cable if everything new is going to be on streaming?  

EXACTLY! It is a crime to have to pay big bucks for cable and then they come out with more and more new shows that they want you to pay even more for. I like Alton but this is totally the wrong move.

On 3/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So Alton Brown, who always rails against unitaskers, is now in favor of using a popcorn popper to toast sesame seeds? What kind of topsy turvy world is this?

I always wonder how he figures scoopers, or "dishers," aren't unitaskers. They can only do one thing.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2021 at 2:55 AM, susannah said:

I always wonder how he figures scoopers, or "dishers," aren't unitaskers. They can only do one thing.

They scoop lots of different things though, in the same way that a knife only cuts things, but can be used to cut almost everything you might need. A unitasker would be a scooper specially designed for dishing out cookie dough in the shape of a small flower.

1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

They scoop lots of different things though, in the same way that a knife only cuts things, but can be used to cut almost everything you might need. A unitasker would be a scooper specially designed for dishing out cookie dough in the shape of a small flower.

I hadn't thought of this good point. Are there scoopers that do that?