Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Mysteries: Mysterious Small Town Hijinks Ensue - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please keep the discussion here to Hallmark Mystery Movies - discussion of general Hallmark movies or news should be done in the Hallmark Movie Channel topic. Thank you.

• Start Topic

On 4/3/2024 at 10:14 PM, LuvMyShows said:

One Bad Apple: a Hannah Swensen Mystery

I am watching past episodes and I like Hannah. I find her more likable than Aurora. It is still check off the boxes Hallmark mystery, but I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed One Bad Apple.  It was great to see Hannah and her sisters again and Norman was great in this movie.  Victor Webster is always enjoyable and I thought he was a terrific addition.  Didn’t miss Cameron Mathison one bit.  That’s not saying that I don’t like Cameron in the previous movies (I like him a lot) and didn’t enjoy watching the development of their relationship because I did — but for me, the Hannah Swensen movies are about the script and mysteries.  I am always glad to see Alison Sweeney (except in Jane Austen Hallmark movies).  In One Bad Apple, there was a bit of humor here and there which was welcomed and I would watch future movies with this cast so I hope they continue them.  

• Like 2

I liked that we got the original sister back.  The one thing I don't miss is the romantic triangle shenanigans.  I liked that Mike and Hannah being engaged kind of ended those but now that he's gone, we're back. 

I enjoyed the character of Bradford and was bummed he was the victim. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, susannot said:

Has Cameron been written out of the series?

He has.  They said Mike got an incredible opportunity to join the FBI and he’s now in Quantico.  I haven’t read the books but I’m gathering they break up in the books + Cameron has moved from HM to GAF and he’s going to host a game show.

Edited by MerBearHou
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

He has.  They said Mike got an incredible opportunity to join the FBI and he’s now in Quantico.  I haven’t read the books but I’m gathering they break up in the books + Cameron has moved from HM to GAF and he’s going to host a game show.

I suspect they would have kept Mike it weren't for Cameron's GAF deal.

I only read one of the books but from what I understand:

Spoiler

The books are still ongoing.  She marries someone else, but I don't think that lasts and it's not the character Victor Webster is playing.  I don't even know if that's a book character or someone the movies made up when Cameron left.

14 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

IMO, as much as this series stretches believability, the whole mother storyline was just too much.

The vast majority of states, with only a few exceptions, require a license to be a private investigator. IIRC, she gave no indication of having done anything like that, although I think she did talk about having spent time researching it. At least she acknowledged that her clients at this point are wives looking to find out if their husbands are cheating, rather than getting some great intriguing cases...but that's probably next!

I'm not a fan of the Hannah movies, I've tried multiple times to watch them but everyone just seems so immature for their actual ages and it's very annoying for me. I never liked Cameron Mathison as an actor so I decided to try the series again now that he's gone and Victor Webster is on board (I do like him), and I still couldn't get through the new movie. It feels like the writers are writing for 20-30 something aged characters and Alison is almost 50. So their actions and dialogue don't match with the real-life ages of the actors and that is throwing me completely out of the series. Victor's character was the only one who's demeanor matched their age for me. Now, I am 56 and as silly as they come, so it's not the humor. Hannah, her sister, and her mom all act like they're fresh out of college or something and the immaturity is just too glaring for me. 

On another note.....do the Hallmark movie channel programmers have some kinda side deal with the convicted criminal known as Lori Loughlin?  Because they have been showing those damn Garage Sale movies like Lori has their kids tied up in her basement. 😒

• Like 2

Well I tried again to watch the new Hannah movie last night, and got annoyed all over again. What's the deal with the Norman dude and why is he emotionally cheating on his long term girlfriend with Hannah? Why does Hannah lead him on and rope him into helping her when she's completely aware of how he feels about her and knows he's supposed to be in a committed relationship with someone else? Someone that she apparently knows but doesn't give enough of a crap about to stop using her man? It doesn't in any way endear either character to me, it makes her look like a selfish asshole and extremely immature, and Norman looks like a trash ass man. I didn't think this was supposed to be Days of Our Lives for Hallmark. 😒

On another note, I'm looking forward to the new Curious Caterer movie. I like the Goldy character a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 4/9/2024 at 12:27 PM, Badsamaritan said:

On another note.....do the Hallmark movie channel programmers have some kinda side deal with the convicted criminal known as Lori Loughlin?  Because they have been showing those damn Garage Sale movies like Lori has their kids tied up in her basement. 

Maybe she bribed them?

• LOL 3
On 4/9/2024 at 9:27 AM, Badsamaritan said:

On another note.....do the Hallmark movie channel programmers have some kinda side deal with the convicted criminal known as Lori Loughlin?  Because they have been showing those damn Garage Sale movies like Lori has their kids tied up in her basement.

There's a lot of hours in a day they need to fill and they're hoping that the furor has died down enough to let it slide and those movies aren't making any money in the Hallmark vault?

On 4/6/2024 at 6:52 PM, Irlandesa said:

I suspect they would have kept Mike it weren't for Cameron's GAF deal.

I only read one of the books but from what I understand:

Hide contents

The books are still ongoing.  She marries someone else, but I don't think that lasts and it's not the character Victor Webster is playing.  I don't even know if that's a book character or someone the movies made up when Cameron left.

I mostly stopped reading the books because they just became too silly but I do keep up. One of the most frustrating things was the author spent book after book after book, talking about Norman vs Mike, which one will Hannah choose? And then they brought in some random guy that was never talked about and claimed he was the love of Hannah's life and she married him. It was not the Victor Webster character, he is a movie created character.

• Like 1

If you missed the premiere of Curious Caterer: Foiled Plans (like I did!), it will be shown again as follows:

• Sunday April 28, 7:00
  • Wednesday May 1, 7:00
  • Saturday May 4, 9:00
  • Friday May 17, 7:00
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s also available on Peacock for a few more days….

Loved the costumes! I really like this cozy mystery series. I like that Goldy and her ex get along like adults. They don’t snipe at each other. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Loved the costumes! I really like this cozy mystery series. I like that Goldy and her ex get along like adults. They don’t snipe at each other. 

Yes, this. It's nice to see. Both have moved on and the ex actually likes Tom, and Goldy liked the ex's new squeeze, until she got strangled and then blowed up. Goldy and Tom have really good chemistry and I'm glad they finally kissed. When Track's father showed up unannounced and then told Tom his dad escaped, I knew he would end up being the actual bad guy. It didn't prevent me from enjoying the story though. I liked the 'Clue' nature of it all and as someone else said, the costumes were beautiful. And Olive is growing up before our eyes, aww. Will definitely watch this again. 

• Like 2
On 4/28/2024 at 9:30 AM, chitowngirl said:

I had no idea that Peacock was showing it!! Do they show all Hallmark Mysteries? And how do you know when a movie will be disappearing from Peacock?

On 10/1/2023 at 8:14 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Quoting myself, since I watched the new mystery. The ending was clever, but ultimately a disappointment in my opinion. I wasn't wild about the format...I guess I like one with more a 'naturalistic' premise. Also, I'm uncertain how the police were able to corroborate that the other woman died as the result of an accident. All they had to go on was the word of the other woman who was with her.  I don't recall the details of how she said the woman fell, but it was on a beach, so it's unlikely that she fell just from having slipped.  And I don't recall there being any rocks big enough to have done enough damage to kill her, so that would mean it wouldn't have been accidental.

On 10/1/2023 at 8:46 PM, Irlandesa said:

I do agree it was probably difficult to prove or at least let go so easily but the person with her said she was reaching for the proof she was blackmailing her with, they struggled over it, and Lucia fell backward and hit her head on a rock.  If she hits it just right, a rock doesn't need to be big to cause damage.

Ultimately, I thought Mystery Island was kind of fun even if the ending became predictable the minute we discovered the deceased's secret. 

On 10/1/2023 at 11:01 PM, Snow Child said:

I thought Mystery Island was very entertaining and well done.  Like the friend, I love murder mystery games but I can never figure out the killer.

I love Elizabeth Henstridge from Agents of Shield, and she was very good here.  I didn't realize that Charlie Weber was from How To Get Away With Murder.  He looks even more handsome now and especially good in tux.  The only dark spot for me was the actress who played Morgan.  She was not good.

I kept it on my DVR to watch again.

I really enjoyed Mystery Island, I like murder mystery games and the concept of one being set on an island was great.  I loved the house with the secret door and I liked all the puzzles.

I loved Elizabeth Henstridge on AoS.  Her character here was good, and I liked that the detective welcomed her help.  My only complaint about her was that she was always squinting.  I'm not sure if that was a character quirk or not but it always looked like she was either looking into the sun or on the verge of tears.

I don't think this movie was based on a book series, so I'm wondering if this is a one-off movie or if there will be more.  The ending certainly left it open to have more movies since the island is staying open for the murder mystery game business.  I also thought that a future mystery could be set at one of the castles owned by Lady Whatshername in England.

On 4/28/2024 at 10:19 AM, Badsamaritan said:

Yes, this. It's nice to see. Both have moved on and the ex actually likes Tom, and Goldy liked the ex's new squeeze, until she got strangled and then blowed up. Goldy and Tom have really good chemistry and I'm glad they finally kissed. When Track's father showed up unannounced and then told Tom his dad escaped, I knew he would end up being the actual bad guy. It didn't prevent me from enjoying the story though. I liked the 'Clue' nature of it all and as someone else said, the costumes were beautiful. And Olive is growing up before our eyes, aww. Will definitely watch this again. 

Have not read any of the books but I am a sucker for anything medieval, and I saw a preview and liked the idea of a medieval costume party.  I had not seen any of these movies before so I was a little lost at the beginning on who all these people were and how they were connected to each other.

I really enjoyed it.  Since this series is based on a food cozie, I wish there had been at least a little attention given to the food, particularly what she cooked for a medieval feast.  Cookies are hardly medieval!

I've set my DVR to record the three previous installments airing on Saturday.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 11:19 AM, Badsamaritan said:

Goldy and Tom have really good chemistry and I'm glad they finally kissed. 

Finally saw Curious Caterer: Foiled Plans, and I have to agree! I actually thought the lead actor and actress were another of those married couples, like the PenaVegas. The plot got a little convoluted, but I still enjoyed it. It was a little odd that they made a point of having someone say that Tom's eyes look just like his father's, but their eyes looked absolutely nothing alike, especially since Andrew Walker has fairly distinctive eyes, so you'd need to have an actor for his father who also has such distinctive eyes, if you're going to go with that angle.

Edited by LuvMyShows

Watched the new movie, "Family Practice Mysteries: Coming Home". It was pretty good, but there were a few things that gave me questions:

• Do today's high school siblings really play Scrabble with each other in their spare time at home?
  • What did her father do that had afforded him such a big, nice house?
  • It seemed wholly and completely unrealistic that when the cheerleaders got a sudden opening on the team, that they would approach some random new girl with no cheerleading experience (and no apparent compensating value, like being super athletic, or super gorgeous/popular, or super wealthy/connected) and ask her to try out, when realistically they would have offered it to an alternate/runner-up from tryouts who didn't make the team. 
  • I couldn't help but wonder how the veteran guy was going to afford the medicine and the doctor visit, and where he is going to be able to afford to live now, and did he get the cafe job?
  • Like 2
(edited)

I’m peeved that Hallmark Mystery keeps changing their schedule. Last time I checked the website, Gilded Newport Mystery was scheduled for 5/28 at 3:00. It is not now and I don’t see that it is on anytime soon. ☹️

It was never on at a convenient time and I missed the window on Peacock.

Edited by chitowngirl