Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Wanted Man

(edited)

Given a choice between Nighthorse and Malachi, I choose Malachi as the real bad guy. The flashback nicely explains why Matthias hates Walt and has no use for Henry. I really hope that he is not part of this Brotherhood and had nothing to do with Martha's death. I rather that Matthias take out Malachi in the end.

Given the amount of lawbreaking that they all do (excluding Ferg), Vic really should not be surprised about Branch, but he really does need reeling in before he turns completely into his father.

Poor Hector, shot and scalped by that bastard David Ridges. I want Ridges and the person behind him to suffer horrible deaths.

Lucian cracked me up confessing about hitting on Martha.

Edited by SimoneS

I love Peter Weller's Lucian.  I wish he were in all the episodes.

When Vic went into Walt's office to talk, I  thought she was going to tell him about Branch.  Noooo, it's about her own problems. They are turning me off Walt/Vic faster than I could have believed.

I liked Hector. I'm sorry he's gone.  But what amazing timing, for Walt to get there just in time for his last words.

• Love 2

When Vic went into Walt's office to talk, I  thought she was going to tell him about Branch.  Noooo, it's about her own problems. 

Vic was using her problems to get Walt's take on what to do about Branch without giving him up. She was clearly torn about whether to snitch on Branch or leave the situation alone so that it would not spiral like what happened back in Philly. The writers were trying to do subtle in that scene. 

• Love 5

Damnit, I liked Hector. He certainly didn't deserve to be shot and scalped by David Ridges. And we made it almost the whole episode without a murder too!

Aside from Hector's demise, there was a lot to love about this episode--namely, Lucian. God I love that crazy ass cowboy. I loved the exchange between he and Walter before they shot the meth dealer's tires; priceless.

Malachi would be a better big bad than Nighthorse-- I agree with that. He is one creepy mofo. I can't believe he was paroled, but I suppose it ups the stakes.

• Love 1

The dialog was superb.

"You're not thinking for going there without backup?" "I have some now"

"I was aching all over"

"It's dangerous and you might get shot"

Henry was rocking that ponytail in the flashback, purrrr.

I'm going to miss Hector.  The Pizza Snitcher is back!

Hector is a Native American who seems to balance the scales of justice when  tribal justice doesn't follow through or is crooked.  He was accused of a few things and is known as a henchman if you want some illegal stuff done.  Vic was going to hire him to go after the ex-cop stacking her but then she changed her mind.

Hector was a morally ambiguous character that stood for "real" justice, a contrast to the corrupt justice.

With Malachi back, and Hector gone... things might heat up.

I can't say it enough that the dialog in this show is what keeps me watching.  This episode was gem after gem after gem.

• Love 1

Okay, not to go all Mr. Glass-Is-Half-Empty, but this was the fifth episode and we still don't know much of anything and, in fact, things are looking damn bleak.  I know we need to wrap up all the plot lines -- Martha's murder, David Ridges, Joe Gorsky, Malachi's release, Henry's trial -- but it's taking forever.  Remember, for Longmire, unlike shows on the big networks, there are far fewer episodes.  I don't know for sure how many episodes there are this season (10, 12, ?) but I can see it taking us till the end of the season to wrap up some, but I'm thinking not all of the plot lines.  And, frankly, I'm getting tired of them.  (I think Martha's death is the far more interesting story, but if it turns out to be someone who just had a beef with Walt -- well, that seems . . . cheap.)

I've totally lost track of the significance of the David Ridges story.  Okay, we can watch Branch go off the deep end.  But I never thought Branch was stupid and I thought what he was doing with the guy at the start was stupid.  Sure he said to his friend "People like me don't get caught."  But it was stupid.  And did he get anything for it? (I really don't remember.)

I like the Lucian character, but why was he in the story???  I mean, really -- why?  He didn't seem to have any connection to any of the bad dudes.  (I did like his telling Walt "Sorry" about Martha.)

And speaking of Martha -- we heard her voice.  (I think we've heard it before.)  But to me the voice didn't sound like what I was thinking.  (Yes, that's just me.)

I think they need to pick up the pace, and maybe make a few more lighter episodes, or at least one or two without all the Sturm and Drang.  I can see if it continues like this that it might not get picked up for next season.

The Vic character has lost her way.

Sorry to be all negative.

• Love 2

The Malachi charactor just confuses me. The one woman couldn't hate him enough because he would only arrest the baddies if the victom paid him. but the baddies paid him more so he let them go. If that is the case, everyone on the Rez should love Henry and Walt for arresting him and putting him in prison. But the story makes it sound like Walt did a bad thing for arresting Malachi. The new Rez police chief can't stand him or Henry. I just don't get it.

• Love 2
And speaking of Martha -- we heard her voice.  (I think we've heard it before.)  But to me the voice didn't sound like what I was thinking.  (Yes, that's just me.)

Nope, not just you!  I thought she sounded way too young with no seasoning so to speak.  I totally agree about the pace too!  It's way to slow.

Gotta love Lucien!  When he's involved, it just makes me smile!

(edited)

Okay, not to go all Mr. Glass-Is-Half-Empty, but this was the fifth episode and we still don't know much of anything and, in fact, things are looking damn bleak.  I know we need to wrap up all the plot lines -- Martha's murder, David Ridges, Joe Gorsky, Malachi's release, Henry's trial -- but it's taking forever.  Remember, for Longmire, unlike shows on the big networks, there are far fewer episodes.  I don't know for sure how many episodes there are this season (10, 12, ?) but I can see it taking us till the end of the season to wrap up some, but I'm thinking not all of the plot lines.  And, frankly, I'm getting tired of them.  (I think Martha's death is the far more interesting story, but if it turns out to be someone who just had a beef with Walt -- well, that seems . . . cheap.)

I've totally lost track of the significance of the David Ridges story.  Okay, we can watch Branch go off the deep end.  But I never thought Branch was stupid and I thought what he was doing with the guy at the start was stupid.  Sure he said to his friend "People like me don't get caught."  But it was stupid.  And did he get anything for it? (I really don't remember.)

There really are an awful lot of subplots going on at once, aren't there?

I had forgotten that Branch was originally after Ridges for sabotaging Cady's car with an icepick to the tires on Election Day. So how did Ridges now get involved in killing Hector, who Walt was looking for as a witness in Henry's case? I don't see how the two plots can be tied together unless David Ridges is the equivalent of Hector for the bad guys and gets called in whenever any of them needs some anti-justice, which if true means that the good/evil balance is now screwed up.

There's a lot to put right and as you point out not a lot of time to do it in.

Edited by CoderLady

Another thing:  Yes, Walt's a "cowboy."  He likes to do things his way.  I get that.  In some respects, I admire that.  But why did he have to go in (with Henry) to take on Malachi?  Apparently, the FEDs were coming to do it.  But Walt had the proverbial itchy trigger finger and takes poor Henry (who it looked like knew it was a bad idea) into the lion's den.  Maybe Walt didn't know how many men Malachi had, or didn't think they'd all be there. but that could have wound up really bad for Walt and Henry.  They were outmanned and outgunned.  (The last thing you want in close confines is a long rifle.  Better a 9mm with plenty of ammo, or even Walt's 45.  But NOT a Winchester.)

It would have made sense if Malachi were about to do something wrong (flee, kill someone, what have you), then Walt couldn't have waited.

And to add insult to injury he has the gall to tell Martha at the beginning that he'll be careful.  I hate to tell you, Martha, but Walt was stupid.

I don't see how the two plots can be tied together unless David Ridges is the equivalent of Hector for the bad guys and gets called in whenever any of them needs some anti-justice, which if true means that the good/evil balance is now screwed up.

Substitute "Malachi" for "any of them" and I think that works.

Where it gets confusing for me is that I thought David Ridges was working for Jacob Nighthorse originally, since Nighthorse lied about Ridges being dead. And now he seems to be working for whoever wants Henry done up for killing Martha's murderer. Busy man.

• Love 1

Maybe Malachi is the sharpest villain out there, and that he's carefully orchestrated getting back at both men, Walt and Henry, he's most ticked at.  I mean, I guess it's possible he's behind the whole thing, but I'll be a bit bothered by that.  He just came on the show this season.  Meanwhile, we've seen all along Nighthorse and Mathis (I throw him in here because he's also had a beef with Walt, starting with the Malachi-thing).  Now, if Malachi is the big baddie, it sort of ticks me off that we didn't get to know him a little better (I think all we know is what Walt said back in Season 1, and that was more about Mathias).  It'll be like they're bringing him in because they can't figure out anything else.

I always thought Ridges worked for Nighthorse as an enforcer (sort of like Hector, though Hector worked for anybody.)  But like someone else said: the Nighthorse/Ridges storyline had to do with the election.  I guess it's possible that the two stories -- Martha's murder/Henry's imprisonment and the election/Cady/Ridges -- will play out to different ends.  But it seems like they're running together.  Is it us, the viewer? or Poor writing? (or Clever writing?)

I don't think it's gone off the rails yet. David Ridges in the enforcer for Malachi. Nighthorse is a lackey/henchman for Malachi, holding down Malachi's virtual forth while he's away. Malachi is punishing Walt by hurting those he cares about--which is the same as last week's case in which the sons of the somewhat Mad Doctor were killed to avenge the deaths of potential tribal children.

I liked the acting, and thought it was a decent episode. I guess Lucien was in the episode because he could be. I like Lucien. I'll guess he was there so they can bring him in later.

Sorry bout Hector. I liked him.

So just what does the Ferg do these days? Seems like he's been written out.

The Branch story feels like them trying to find something for Bailey Chase to do now that the election is over, much as they struggled for Cassidy Freeman to earn her keep last year. Too bad though, coz he's interesting enough as a deputy.

• Love 1

What was Hector supposed to do for Henry?  Isn't that why they were looking for him, because he had something to offer in Henry's case?

Hector can explain how and why Henry had the teeth of the man who killed Martha in his possession. Since that's the only real "evidence" that links Henry to the death of Martha's murderer, assuming they could have convinced Hector to testify, and that a judge would have taken it as the truth, Hector's testimony could have exonerated Henry.

(edited)

Well, not their best effort I guess--I do love Lucien though, so I guess I'll take it. I did find it hilarious that Walt was careful not to waste Wyoming taxpayer's money while he investigated a personal matter, but wasn't too concerned about wasting Colorado taxpayer's money when the Denver detective had to come to Wyoming because Walt didn't even bother to respond to his phone calls or letters. The double standard on this show is remarkable. And Branch is apparently now a complete moron and lunatic...good to know.

I think all these guys that have a beef with Walt were just McGuffins, I'm betting that Martha's murder was closer to home somehow...I just haven't quite worked it all out yet. And I'm also betting it's not Malachi or Nighthorse either, but somehow it all is going to tie together I bet.

The Malachi charactor just confuses me. The one woman couldn't hate him enough because he would only arrest the baddies if the victom paid him. but the baddies paid him more so he let them go. If that is the case, everyone on the Rez should love Henry and Walt for arresting him and putting him in prison. But the story makes it sound like Walt did a bad thing for arresting Malachi. The new Rez police chief can't stand him or Henry. I just don't get it.

This is the problem I have with most TV villains in positions of power. I can't understand how they can get enough people to vote for them and/or support them to keep them in power. I just never quite adds up for me. Yes, I understand once they get power, it's harder to stand up to it, but once he was arrested I don't understand why people still support him. I guess what I'm saying is that he only has power because people give it to him, if they don't like him they should stop supporting him.

So just what does the Ferg do these days? Seems like he's been written out.

The Branch story feels like them trying to find something for Bailey Chase to do now that the election is over, much as they struggled for Cassidy Freeman to earn her keep last year. Too bad though, coz he's interesting enough as a deputy.

They did this with Ferg last season too. He'd be missing for a couple of eps then randomly show up...I would guess that they only have the actor contracted for a few episodes a season, I just don't understand why they never explain his absence. I really miss him when he's gone.

I agree about Branch's story this season, it feels like they are just trying to give Bailey Chase something to do for the time being. However, I'm betting it does all tie together in the end.

Hector can explain how and why Henry had the teeth of the man who killed Martha in his possession. Since that's the only real "evidence" that links Henry to the death of Martha's murderer, assuming they could have convinced Hector to testify, and that a judge would have taken it as the truth, Hector's testimony could have exonerated Henry.

But wouldn't that have also implicated Hector, he beat the guy up and took his teeth. I'm not saying that Hector would have lied about it, but Henry said that they didn't want to get Hector arrested...wouldn't have his testimony gotten him arrested? I just don't understand some of the plotting and motivations on this show.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
But wouldn't that have also implicated Hector, he beat the guy up and took his teeth. I'm not saying that Hector would have lied about it, but Henry said that they didn't want to get Hector arrested...wouldn't have his testimony gotten him arrested? I just don't understand some of the plotting and motivations on this show.

I think it was more of a Hail Mary on their part and they hadn't thought it all the way through first - they were just trying to get Step 1 done (find Hector) and then go from there. I agree though that considering what we've seen of Hector he'd be more inclined to say "Hell no" if asked to testify for the exact reason that without any other obvious suspects, Hector would then become Suspect #1. Not to mention that Henry likely would still face some other charges of having hired a man to beat a guy up (although from the conversation at the end of last season between Walt, Hector, and Henry, it looked like Henry had clearly at least attempted to hire Hector to kill Miller Beck since he assumed Hector had done it until Hector corrected him that he doesn't kill on principle). It's just a giant labyrinth of a plot thread at this point.

Ok, you lost me now Branch! He's gone too far. Poor Branch's buddy Travis. Poor drugged kidnapped guy!

The Vic / Branch tension - and Vic's past holding her back from outing Branch - was interesting.

The Cady actress did a good, subtle job with her reactions to Walt talking about her mom's murder. Henry's sympathetic look at her at the end of the scene was sweet.

The flashback to Malachi's arrest was fun. Can't believe he's free now and taunting poor Henry - yikes!

Loved Mathias holding the gate open for Ruby. And his scene with Vic. I can't help it, I just like that guy.

Lucian - and Jamie the pizza guy - were a hoot. Travis' mom cracked me up, too.

No! Poor Hector! :(

Edited by SlovakPrincess