Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Deviant

• Start Topic

Jesse invades the most decadent brothel in Israel to rescue a little girl who earns a helluva lot more per hour than I do. He manages to kill almost everybody...including the little girl. Oops.

Tulip gets some basic psychoanalysis from the Grail's only non-asshole character. He determines that she has issues.  As the kids all say these days: DUH!

Eugene and the cowboy are still plodding along is a generally Jesse-ward direction, with a stop for lunch and some public restroom lovin'.

Cassidy is bored with all the physical torture, so he tortures himself mentally for a while, then has a quick sing-along with the angel who's been hanging around like a holy ceiling fixture.

Words I never thought I'd type: Yay, Hitler's back! And he's apparently in Israel for a conference (gosh, who could he be meeting?), so he takes a few minutes to give Jesse a pitch about the excellent job benefits available to his unholy minions.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 1

It seems like the show is devolving into elaborate fight scenes, torture and violence, with a bit of bizarre dark humor thrown in. For me Happy! did this better since they seemed to merge all of these things together, all of the time. Jesse's fight scene was well choreographed, but I had lost interest seconds after it started and had guessed what the outcome would be. The only thing that surprised this episode was when Cassidy popped both of his hands off to escape.

• Love 1

True, the fact that Jesse can easily beat up about 15 people without seeming to break a sweat is more far-fetched to me than most of the stuff on this show. Which, of course, includes G-d, Hitler, angels, Satan, saints and vampires. 

I may be on my own with this one, but I loved the episode, the corridor fight alone makes me wish that they'd bring out a Preacher game on Xbox, there is so much potential just waiting to be exploited.

"whatever happened to foreplay?" 🤣😆😂😃🤣😆😂😃 this is the humour we want,   and the automated circumcision machine certainly had me wincing, the world needs Preacher, it really does!

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

and the automated circumcision machine certainly had me wincing, the world needs Preacher, it really does!

That just confused me since I thought that Cassidy was still in Israel and they were planning on sending him to Bensonhurst. Where was that "meat" slicer.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Jesse invades the most decadent brothel in Israel to rescue a little girl who earns a helluva lot more per hour than I do

I thought it was a boy, what did I miss that put the brothel in Israel?

10 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

That Jesse hasn't made it to a plane to leave the country yet. Once he does get on the plane, it crashes.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I still like the show, and I'll certainly watch until the end, but sometimes I'm like "where are you going with this?" 

With the last few shows of the last season ever, does it really matter? i'm just fastening the buckle and going in with the ride, as crazy as I hope it will be!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I'm starting to get the criticism as to the series being fucked-up for the mere sake of being fucked-up. I have faith, but I'm thinking it might not stick the landing at the end. On the bright side: facial cream with vampire foreskin!!! Seriously, what are the logistics of having of what happens to that stuff after it's harvested? And is this a world where foreskin in cream is an open industry secret?

8 hours ago, Superclam said:

True, the fact that Jesse can easily beat up about 15 people without seeming to break a sweat is more far-fetched to me than most of the stuff on this show. Which, of course, includes G-d, Hitler, angels, Satan, saints and vampires. 

Blame the perverts. Much like the folks at the Grail infirmary, they did not think to constantly dogpile on Jesse. You'd think they would have thought of that when their suck/fuck fest was interrupted. Sadly, they only pile on once, and nobody had a syringe handy to knock him out. The kid catching a fatal bullet is par for the course as far as the "Jesse does more harm when he tries to help" theme.

They worked in the de Sade party AND the Sex Detectives. I'm impressed. Sadly, one of the latter gets fragged by the Saint of Killers. Even when you hear the gun fired and you fucking know the dude is gonna die soon, the blood splatter is still shocking.

Poor Eugene. The bit where he's screaming for SoK to help him was funny . . . especially when you see the captions even when you can barely hear him.

I think Cassidy's origin is mostly comic canon. Hopefully, they'll show what happened right after he got turned. Of course, I can miss that if the torture he will eventually inflict of Benny Bensonhurst: Amateur Mohel is epic.

"I call him . . . . Hoover 2." Always a delight, Herr Starr!

7 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I may be on my own with this one, but I loved the episode, the corridor fight alone makes me wish that they'd bring out a Preacher game on Xbox, there is so much potential just waiting to be exploited.

How about a Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter-style game featuring Garth Ennis creations? Off the top of my head, you could draw from Preacher (Jesse, Tulip, Cassidy, SoK, Herr Starr, Featherstone), The Boys (Billy Butcher, Wee Hughie, Mother's Milk, The Frenchman, The Female), Hitman (Tommy Monaghan, Natt the Hat, Ringo, Hacken, Six-Pack), and Adventures in the Rifle Brigade (Khyber Darcy, Sgt. Crumb, The Piper). Oh, and "The Pro."

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

the automated circumcision machine certainly had me wincing

I know Cass can grow his parts back, but even hooked up to two bags of blood I didn't think he could do it quite that fast.

6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I thought it was a boy

Wasn't that the same kid who tried to rob him? Didn't he give back the boots he took from Jesse after J killed his dog?

Forgot to mention - Loved that they were transporting Cassidy with the Hannibal Lecter mask & hand truck setup. And that he's obviously going to use that angel's feather for something, just like Hannibal would.

Masada is in Israel. They haven't shown him making any border crossings, other than being at the airport at the end.

9 hours ago, Superclam said:

True, the fact that Jesse can easily beat up about 15 people without seeming to break a sweat is more far-fetched to me than most of the stuff on this show.

That scene came off as Jesse reenacting the latest John Wick sequel. Of course, maybe the fact that his opponents were mostly wearing costumes that restrict movement and/or vision helped him a little.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 2

Regarding the fight, it doesn't bother me that Jessie beat all those guys but that they kept getting up after being pummeled. Jessie hit one guy at least three times with a sledgehammer and the guy got up. He should have been totally crushed. But rather than getting annoyed, I just tell myself it's a comic book.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Masada is in Israel. 

That'll explain it then, I obviously wasn't paying attention.

10 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

maybe the fact that his opponents were mostly wearing costumes that restrict movement and/or vision helped him a little.

I loved the guy off Takeshi's castle (don't know if you get that in US)

3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Jessie hit one guy at least three times with a sledgehammer and the guy got up. He should have been totally crushed

Look what he did to Frankie the torturer, he beat the hell out of his face, there was blood and teeth everywhere yet when we saw him a few minutes later, not so much as a bruise.

10 hours ago, Starchild said:

Wasn't that the same kid who tried to rob him? Didn't he give back the boots he took from Jesse after J killed his dog?

It was.

• Love 1

I admit I am starting to see the "its just trying to out crazy itself" criticism. Random sex house, Jessie accidentally kills a kid, the foreskin cutting, random glory hole, etc. It just keeps going on and on without a lot of plot development. 

That being said, I am still along for the ride, and it is rather darkly fun to see just how fucked up and crazy this show has to get just to top itself. 

My favorite part was Cassidy's backstory, it actually seemed rather down to Earth and emotionally real in a way the show rarely is anymore. 

• Love 1

I think what I enjoy most out of the "trying to outdo itself" show is that I can see the show in comic book format -- when I watch the actors perform, I can visualize it on the page.  I don't know if that makes sense or not but it's something that I really like about it.  The plot is all but gone so I'm not in it looking for any sort of resolution to any sort of beginning/middle/end structure.

• LOL 1

Seeing Cass' origin story was cool. What was that? It looked proto human.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:15 PM, Sandman87 said:

That scene came off as Jesse reenacting the latest John Wick sequel. Of course, maybe the fact that his opponents were mostly wearing costumes that restrict movement and/or vision helped him a little.

We are in a comic book universe, but last season they showed us that Jesse basically grew up in fight club. I can buy it within the show.

Though I don't know why he just didn't use the voice. He uses it to smoke.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
19 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Though I don't know why he just didn't use the voice. He uses it to smoke.

He gets a great deal of gratification out of fighting. If he were in real danger of losing, he'd use the voice.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2019 at 9:30 AM, OoohMaggie said:

Look what he did to Frankie the torturer, he beat the hell out of his face, there was blood and teeth everywhere yet when we saw him a few minutes later, not so much as a bruise.

On the plane, his knuckles appeared bruised from the fight in the brothel, but that's about it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

On the plane, his knuckles appeared bruised from the fight in the brothel, but that's about it

I was rather referring to the state of Frankie, after being beaten to a pulp by Jessie, Frankie appeared minutes later looking like new, all teeth intact, no cuts or bruises, but I get your point, even when Tulip has battled Featherstone and taken a few hits herself, there doesn't seem to be any signs of damage done.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm now confused. Frankie the torturer from Bensonhurst what beat up by Cassidy, right? I see no evidence that he was anything but human. 

No, definitely human, there is a reason he's a bit 'mean' in the comics. 

a link to a brief description of him but contains comic info

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2

Yeah, I've read the book. I thought they might delve into that aspect. 

17 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I was rather referring to the state of Frankie, after being beaten to a pulp by Jessie, Frankie appeared minutes later looking like new, all teeth intact, no cuts or bruises, but I get your point, even when Tulip has battled Featherstone and taken a few hits herself, there doesn't seem to be any signs of damage done.

You mean Cassidy, right? I think that's where the confusion is. For me, anyway. Beyond my usual confusion. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Ooops, you are right, I completely forgot about Jesse at Masada, with the door and all. Convoluted plot + low attention span = me not knowing where the fuck we are in this show

It's funny you should say that, because having just watched the latest episode, i'm wondering where the hell the 'Normal' Jesus has come from, I thought one of the Humperdoos was supposed to be  the legitimate heir to the title, either I've forgotten or have completely missed a major point of the show, any ideas? 🙄

We don't get any people called Jesse in the UK so forgive the incorrect spelling.

• Love 1

I've known very few male Jesses in my day. I think it's more of a southern US thing. "Jessie" is usually used for women as a nickname for Jessica. 

I was also thinking that we never saw "regular" Jesus before. Where exactly was he? 

• Love 1

There isn't a regular Jesus. The 'Jesus prime' Jesse met peed on him but was massively inbred. I guess 'regular Jesus' was shown in the flashback.

The rest are all clones that Jesse released and they can't figure out who the 'prime' is unless he can dance to Soft Shoe.

6 hours ago, Superclam said:

I've known very few male Jesses in my day. I think it's more of a southern US thing. "Jessie" is usually used for women as a nickname for Jessica. 

I was also thinking that we never saw "regular" Jesus before. Where exactly was he? 

In the next episode?

10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

To further confuse you: 

Lol,  loving the dog at the end.

Oh! crap, here goes the rest of my day watching early eighties pop videos, damn UTube.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1

He played live down the street from my apartment a couple of years ago for a festival. It was awesome!

I pretty much abandoned any expectation of realism in action scenes back in the pilot when Tulip enlisted the help of two kids to help her make a working duct tape bazooka.