Type keyword(s) to search

Yes, It Has Been Mentioned: The Media Thread

• Start Topic

On 9/1/2019 at 3:46 PM, Valny said:

Season 2 general info.  Man, it makes more even more psyched for the next season!

They've updated the bottom of this article. Filming for season 2 hasn't been started and now it is postponed due to COVID 19.  I was hoping that they already had the season in the can and we'd get it early. 

• Love 2

Exclusive: Gentleman Jack's Gemma Whelan confirms season 2 filming has been pushed back to September

Game of Thrones star Gemma plays Marian Lister, Anne's quieter and much put-upon younger sister, while Timothy West plays their father Captain Lister and Gemma Jones stars as their aunt Anne.

But while Gemma promises that there's a lot to look forward to about season 2, she also confirmed that Gentleman Jack season 2 is one of the many TV shows that has been caught up in the coronavirus pandemic as productions plans have had to be shifted back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Work underway to make sure Yorkshire TV series such as Gentleman Jack can resume

“We are working in partnership with Screen Yorkshire and other film partners to focus on creating a safe, film-friendly environment, to ensure that production companies can confidently choose Calderdale as a safe filming and production space.

"This will include promoting the use of outdoor locations where possible and providing support and guidance in line with Government protocol.”

On 7/31/2020 at 12:00 PM, Gulftastic said:

Not to worry anyone but parts of West Yorkshire have gone back into lockdown. I wouldn't count on filming starting when they said.

I was thinking about this show. Thanks for the info. 

• Love 1

Happy Valley to return for a third series - with big news for Gentleman Jack too

Focusing on Happy Valley means Sally will not be in the director’s chair when Gentleman Jack returns.

Sally explained: “I’m not directing Gentleman Jack this time which I’m very sad about but I made that choice because I wanted to get on with Happy Valley three and I hope I will be directing that but we will see, it’s just very time consuming.”

On 1/11/2022 at 7:11 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Thanks for sharing. I thought this series might be a casualty of the pandemic and not get picked up again, but it was so good I am glad we are getting a second season. 

The show was renewed right after it premiered, I think. Like, two episodes in or something. It did really well in the UK. But the pandemic did bring a bunch of delays. It should've come out last year, it was pushed back a whole year. When it premiered I thought a two year wait was crazy, and in the end it will be three!! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.

The British Film Institute is apparently going to have a talk with Suranne, Sally and Sophie in March, and they will premiere the trailer there:

Further highlights of the events programme in March will include a TV preview of series 2 of Gentleman Jack (BBC/HBO/Lookout Point, 2022) on 9 March, followed by a Q&A with writer Sally Wainwright and actors Suranne Jones and Sophie Rundle. Series 2 of the popular drama will again draw from the real-life diaries of Anne Lister, with every part of Lister’s story based in historical fact and the five million words she wrote in her journals. 

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news/announcing-march-2022-programme-bfi-southbank

They first posted about it on instagram, but then deleted the post. The now deleted instagram post included this photo:

272662121_1016067929257200_4418960975007033126_n.jpg

• Love 1
On 1/28/2022 at 2:57 AM, natyxg said:

The show was renewed right after it premiered, I think. Like, two episodes in or something. It did really well in the UK. But the pandemic did bring a bunch of delays. It should've come out last year, it was pushed back a whole year. When it premiered I thought a two year wait was crazy, and in the end it will be three!! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.

The British Film Institute is apparently going to have a talk with Suranne, Sally and Sophie in March, and they will premiere the trailer there:

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news/announcing-march-2022-programme-bfi-southbank

They first posted about it on instagram, but then deleted the post. The now deleted instagram post included this photo:

272662121_1016067929257200_4418960975007033126_n.jpg

Any idea why they deleted the post?

That's an awesome picture :), with Miss Lister's off-white silk (?) waistcoat and the bright (rather than pastel) colors on Miss Walker.

@Scarlett45

I think that HBO actually started broadcasting the show earlier than the BBC back in 2019, so hopefully in the Spring.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MYOS said:

Any idea why they deleted the post?

That's an awesome picture :), with Miss Lister's off-white silk (?) waistcoat and the bright (rather than pastel) colors on Miss Walker.

@Scarlett45

I think that HBO actually started broadcasting the show earlier than the BBC back in 2019, so hopefully in the Spring.

I don't know why they deleted the post, but the information is still on the website.

I think shows nowadays usually release trailers about a month before they premiere, so I'm crossing my fingers that the show comes back on April. Back in 2019 it premiered on April as well, and Anne's birthday is in April.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, natyxg said:

We'll see, but my money is on April 25th.

First trailer!

Betting on April 10 after the end of Peaky Blinders (both  are Sunday 9pm prestige  drama slot on BBc1)

That trailer is AWESOME 

2 hours ago, MYOS said:

Betting on April 10 after the end of Peaky Blinders (both  are Sunday 9pm prestige  drama slot on BBc1)

That trailer is AWESOME 

I meant April 25th on HBO. Don't know about BBC.

Longest wait ever!  Can't wait to continue the journey. Pretty damn excited getting the trailer and an almost date. I almost forgot about this show so it was nice seeing that trailer appear on Youtube out of the blue.

• Love 1

The official account for HBO Brazil shared the same teaser trailer we saw, but subtitled and with the date April 25th at the end. I suspect the official announcement will come very soon, but I think we can consider that confirmed as the premiere date. I saw it with my own eyes, but now I looked for it to put it here and I can't find the tweet, I don't know if they deleted it. That's weird. Maybe they jumped the gun and announced it too soon? But I did see it.

I'm really hoping we get the official longer trailer very soon, like Friday or something. #fingerscrossed Before March ends, for sure.

• Love 1

Episode one description:

Spoiler

Yorkshire, 1834. A month on from their private marriage ceremony, Ann Walker (Sophie Rundle) remains in York under the care of her doctor while Anne Lister (Suranne Jones), with fresh financial confidence and entrepreneurial vigour, renovates Shibden Hall in preparation for her wife to move in.

Learning of their plan to co-habit, Miss Walker’s protective tribe of relations are increasingly suspicious of Anne Lister’s motives, but can’t find the right words to express their fears about the nature of their relationship. Anne is keen to strengthen their commitment by changing their wills in each other’s favour, but Ann Walker is nervous of braving public opinion further.

While the couple prepare for a fabulous honeymoon abroad, devastated Mariana Lawton’s (Lydia Leonard) jealousy signals more trouble ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2022/15/gentleman-jack

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Episode two description:

Spoiler

Anne Lister’s (Suranne Jones) former flame, Isabella ‘Tib’ Norcliffe (Joanna Scanlan), threatens to derail Anne’s idyllic honeymoon by revealing details of her complicated romantic past to Ann Walker (Sophie Rundle).

Questioned by Ann in the foothills of Mont Blanc, Anne Lister reveals something of her relationship with Mariana Lawton (Lydia Leonard), but keeps back crucial information.

Back in Halifax, the couple’s daring trip abroad has raised the alarm among Miss Walker’s family, who hatch a plot to marry her off to a man. On their return home, Anne and Ann are shocked by a hostile move from Aunt Ann Walker (Stephanie Cole), and danger awaits in the form of a pair of spying children.

Over at the Sowden’s farm, Suzannah (Amy James-Kelly) is consumed with regret about moving in with Thomas (Tom Lewis), whose dark temper frightens the family.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2022/16/gentleman-jack

Episode three description:

Spoiler

Anne Lister (Suranne Jones) and Ann Walker (Sophie Rundle) launch a charm offensive on Ann’s relatives, determined to show them that Miss Walker is flourishing at Shibden Hall.

Anne Lister is fascinated by the arrival of a railway in Yorkshire, and quizzes Halifax’s men of industry on what this revolution could mean for the town.

Though animated in public, privately Anne is unable to tear her thoughts from Mariana Lawton (Lydia Leonard), who has confided that she is in the depths of despair. When Mariana appeals to Anne to visit her, Miss Walker has to make a difficult decision: will she trust her wife to go?

Fresh worries arrive at Ann’s door with a letter from her sister in Scotland that pointedly ignores her request to divide their joint estate, presenting yet more obstacles to her relationship with Anne.

At the Sowden’s farm, Mary (Lucy Black) finds herself terrified of her own son.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/search/?medium=tv-and-iplayer&week=17&year=2022&day=sunday

Also, some (spoilery reviews):

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/tvfilm/gentleman-jack-series-two-review-suranne-jones-anne-lister-sophie-rundle-lydia-leonard-b993327.html

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/gentleman-jack-season-2-review/

On 4/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, DanaK said:

HBO (or HBO Max) premiere April 25. I'm not clear on whether this will just stream on HBO Max or also be seen on HBO linear. If the former, I suppose that's ok, but I wanted to see it on HBO itself and I think that has more prestige

http://thefutoncritic.com/video/2022/04/05/video-gentleman-jack-season-2-official-trailer-hbo-735510/20220405hbo01/

The first season was on regular HBO.  I think the second season will be as well.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The first season was on regular HBO.  I think the second season will be as well.

I really hope you're right...my mom loved the first season of this show but she doesn't do streaming. Hopefully they put it on Monday nights again in its original spot (where the Gilded Age aired too).

1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

I really hope you're right...my mom loved the first season of this show but she doesn't do streaming. Hopefully they put it on Monday nights again in its original spot (where the Gilded Age aired too).

April 25th is a Monday. 

I just noticed HBO really highlights its streaming service in its ads even if the show is also set to air on its regular service.

• Love 1
On 4/9/2022 at 3:33 PM, Irlandesa said:

April 25th is a Monday. 

I just noticed HBO really highlights its streaming service in its ads even if the show is also set to air on its regular service.

I’ve noticed that and I think it causes confusion at times

In regards to this show, The Futon Critic is showing it debuting on HBO at 10pm on the 25th http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2022/04/25/

I have mixed feelings about this.  It's very sad and I wonder what happened since Season 1 was a pretty big success.

On the other hand, I had the hardest time getting into season 2. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I have mixed feelings about this.  It's very sad and I wonder what happened since Season 1 was a pretty big success.

On the other hand, I had the hardest time getting into season 2. 

I have mixed feelings, too. I thought season two was pretty bad and I feared that season 3 could be even worse, but at the same time a part of me wonders if maybe it could've gotten better again if given the chance. So yeah, mixed feelings.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1