Type keyword(s) to search

Yes, It Has Been Mentioned: The Media Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, natyxg said:

😢

That’s sad and came as a surprise. HBO and the BBC were coproducers, so I wonder if the BBC will cancel it as well or try to find a new partner? The ratings on the BBC for Season 2 were about half of Season 1, so it’s possible the BBC will drop it as well

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, DanaK said:

That’s sad and came as a surprise. HBO and the BBC were coproducers, so I wonder if the BBC will cancel it as well or try to find a new partner? The ratings on the BBC for Season 2 were about half of Season 1, so it’s possible the BBC will drop it as well

I think I read somewhere that BBC is facing some big budget cuts, too. And they barely promoted it all, it's part of the reason why I expected this. Neither BBC or HBO seemed to be backing it. So while I don't know if technically it's even possible for BBC to carry on with the show after HBO cancelled it, I don't really expect them to. This is the time when people talk about other "networks" saving shows, but I can't think of where it would fit. Acorn and Britbox are very British and it is a historical drama, but I don't know if the average viewer there would be into it. I think this is very likely the end.

• Sad 1
23 minutes ago, natyxg said:

This is the time when people talk about other "networks" saving shows, but I can't think of where it would fit. Acorn and Britbox are very British and it is a historical drama, but I don't know if the average viewer there would be into it. I think this is very likely the end.

I think the budget is too big for Acorn or Britbox.

• Sad 1

There was also a 3 year delay between seasons due to the pandemic which likely didn’t help, especially with HBO not promoting it much. And networks blame the viewers for not watching

• Like 3
19 hours ago, natyxg said:

😢

I'm so disappointed in season two. I was psyched for this to come back and just could NOT get into this new season.  Sad that it didn't live up to such a bright start. 

• Love 2

There were a couple of articles with the leads thanking the producers and HBO and lamenting the cancelation, which suggests they know it’s canceled canceled

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

There were a couple of articles with the leads thanking the producers and HBO and lamenting the cancelation, which suggests they know it’s canceled canceled

There are some articles that said that a BBC rep said they are in talks with Sally about the future, whatever that means. Sally is doing a facebook live tomorrow with the organizer of ALBW, we'll see what she says there.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, DanaK said:

I wonder if they're discussing a wrap up movie.  HBO might get back on board for that.  They've done it before for series that have ended just a tad early. 

• Like 1

Sadness. I enjoyed it not only for the plot and characters, but I rewatched for the sets, costumes, scenery, and other details. 

If the creators feel they've exhausted the material, it's for the best, but if it's corporate cancelation, boo. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Fingers said:

Sadness. I enjoyed it not only for the plot and characters, but I rewatched for the sets, costumes, scenery, and other details. 

If the creators feel they've exhausted the material, it's for the best, but if it's corporate cancelation, boo. 

My understanding is that HBO decided to pull out because it wasn't giving them the ratings they wanted (in the demographics they wanted) and they're undergoing a lot of budget cuts. BBC is willing to go forward with it, but can't afford to pay for the entire show. Another company needs to come in and put the extra funding that HBO used to put up in order for more seasons to happen.

• Like 1
(edited)

I think it's ITV that produced Downton Abbey and many, many other stellar series that started on BBC and then aired on HBO. Maybe a company like that would take up the mantle. It's a great show, and while the above interview made it seem like mainly only gay women care about it, I'm not gay and I adore this show. I think it's a mistake to lobby for it from only the gay community's perspective because it's so much more than that IMO. I love how a strong, independent woman who is way ahead of her time in just about every sense of the word, outwits, outsmarts and outplays the condescending men around her. I love watching a woman be the predatory one in the relationship - Anne with everyone but Ann (or so we think), and Marianna with Anne. The switching of gender roles, the empowered women, watching women like Marion try to find their way in life, I love all of it. I think I'll miss Marion most of all if it doesn't get picked up by someone else!

I hope we keep apprised of the lobby efforts because I'd happily write to someone about it. I do think the interviewer was correct in that it helps if there is a concerted lobby effort so that everyone who loves this show is part of a larger voice, otherwise it risks diluting the cry for continuing this show.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

I kind of wonder if the Warner Discovery merger is the cause of this. They already have started cutting scripted originals from TBS and TNT and HBO seems to be killing underperforming originals (including recently The Time Traveler’s Wife)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

I kind of wonder if the Warner Discovery merger is the cause of this. They already have started cutting scripted originals from TBS and TNT and HBO seems to be killing underperforming originals (including recently The Time Traveler’s Wife)

I don't know how they can say a show is under-performing when they do fuck all to promote it, you know?!?

• Love 1
On 7/11/2022 at 1:19 PM, gingerella said:

I don't know how they can say a show is under-performing when they do fuck all to promote it, you know?!?

It was that well advertised that I didn't even know there was a new series until one appeared on my DVR.

• Like 1

The BBC advertised season two pretty well. I saw lots of adverts for it, and I don't even watch regular TV that much. But if HBO didn't promote it in the States...well. It always seems strange to me when a network does that - pays for a show to be made, but then sabotages it with poor scheduling and promotion. Seems pointless to me, but what do I know?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Llywela said:

The BBC advertised season two pretty well. I saw lots of adverts for it, and I don't even watch regular TV that much. But if HBO didn't promote it in the States...well. It always seems strange to me when a network does that - pays for a show to be made, but then sabotages it with poor scheduling and promotion. Seems pointless to me, but what do I know?

HBO did fuck all to promote S02 IMO. I had to be reminded here when it began and was already two episodes in by then, so yeah, fuck HBO.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 7/7/2022 at 10:24 PM, DanaK said:

It's like half the shows I watch -- they come on -- they get me invested -- then wham! - they go off the air for like years and years and when season 2 or whatever FINALLY comes back - no one cares or remembers!!! So they have poor ratings and are canceled. and TPTB wonder why????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 9/29/2023 at 12:06 AM, DevilsDetails said:

For any Emma Donoghue fans, her latest, Learned by Heart,  is based on Anne Lister's relationship with Eliza Raine, who may have been Anne's first love.

I just only started this show in the summer and have watched both seasons.(I actually liked Season 2 better than season 1, it probably helped I didn't have a 3 year break inbetween)  I would be interested in reading more non fiction about Anne Lister but I don't think I could read this fiction because the character of Anne Lister portrayed by Suranne Jones is so strongly implanted in my brain.