Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Matthew 621

The "God" account sends Miles the profile of a lawyer who died six months ago, leading him, Cara and Rakesh to dig into the man's past in order to figure out who exactly they're supposed to help. Also, Miles asks Nia (Victoria Janicki) on a date; Rakesh and Lucy (Abby Awe), his hacker friend, continue searching for the person behind the "God" account; and Ali encourages Arthur to play his saxophone publicly for the first time since his wife died.

Airdate: Nov. 18, 2018

"Mathew 6:21 is the twenty-first verse of the sixth chapter of the Gospel of Mathew in the New Testament and is part of the Sermon on the Mount. This verse continues the discussion of wealth. In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_6:21 ).

Hmmm: "Continues the discussion of wealth." Does this mean continuity with last week's episode about Uncle T's financial issues?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Fear of parenthood is something I think a lot of people can relate to, especially when you have no good examples to follow. Cara is so not into Eli like that. Those looks she was giving Miles and Nia spoke volumes. I wonder how long it will take for Miles and Cara to end p on the same page romantically?

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I liked a lot of this one, but I was very irritated at a guy whose stepfather put him through private schools and law school even after his mom died and he felt--what--unloved??????? I don't get it.

That’s all he did. He sent him to boarding school, basically ignored him other than financially. Think Harry Potter and his aunt and uncle. 

What irritated me was if you knew how badly being treated like that felt to you... why would you leave your unborn child and the Mom? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

That’s all he did. He sent him to boarding school, basically ignored him other than financially. Think Harry Potter and his aunt and uncle. 

What irritated me was if you knew how badly being treated like that felt to you... why would you leave your unborn child and the Mom? 

He was scared he would repeat the step father's bad parenting. I think he didn't want his kid feeling about him the way he felt about his step father so thought not being there from the jump would makes things easier.

• Love 6

I enjoyed that a circle of love was finally joined.  This ep seemed pretty true to the tenets of the show.  I liked how the "targets" each immediately got the outrageous coinkydinks and reacted accordingly.  None were outright dismissive, not even Alfie at the courthouse.  He heard his new buddies out before rejecting Sal again.  

I wish I could understand what the heck Miles/Mork was trying to say in the epilogue.  Understand that you aren't necessarily what you were, but be open to what you were because you might become what you are supposed to be?   Nanoo Nanoo.

Nice backstory as to Miles name.  I'm betting now there will come an awareness that God used his Grandfather much as he is currently using Miles.

• Love 3

Great episode.. I don't even care about the cheeseyness of it all sometimes... And about 10 minutes into alfie's story I figured that Blair was with him.. Still fun to watch.. And watching Cara  throw a hall of fame worthy side-eye at nia putting her hands on miles' thigh was a highlight

• Love 8

I agree, a great episode, a tear jerker even.  And because of that I hate to say it, but it still bugs me that Miles just accepts that there's some person out there that is watching him and all these other people that closely all the time via the miracle of modern technology.  You'd think it would make him paranoid and at least talk to the air sometimes in an attempt to communicate with them.  Wouldn't he want to know why the person singled him out to send all these friend requests?  Wouldn't he want to hear what their motive and goal was?  I know they're looking for the supposed person, but I think it would be more realistic if it was getting inside Miles' head somehow.  I know it would get to me, although I believe in God and would never imagine that any person no matter how technologically advanced, would be able to do all THAT.  The sheer immensity of the coincidences and people just showing up and having connections boggles the mind.

But yeah, in spite of all that, it's still fun to watch.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

And watching Cara  throw a hall of fame worthy side-eye at nia putting her hands on miles' thigh was a highlight

Yes, that was a great moment - but it also looked to me like she was really uncomfortable/nearly in tears as she was watching Miles and Nia. There was a moment when Eli looked at Cara, and she was looking at them. I thought for sure he was going to ask her to go outside, and then break up with her because he could see she has feelings for Miles (despite her assurance that they're "just friends") and he wants to be with someone who is "all in" with him.

It seems like Miles has no idea that Cara is acting torn about Eli because a)  she has feelings for him and b) is in denial about it. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I find Brandon Micheal Hall so charming. I was calmed down by Miles's story about how he got his name and all I was doing was sitting on the couch.

Me too.. I want laid up in bed like.. Damn bruh.. You out me in an even more peaceful zone

41 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:
11 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Yes, that was a great moment - but it also looked to me like she was really uncomfortable/nearly in tears as she was watching Miles and Nia

Yeah she looked devastated and she lingered for a really long ( and ur right)  uncomfortable amount of time... I chalked some of it up to her realization that she denied herself out of an opportunity  with miles right now... I imagine the show will work it out tho.. Before they do I'd ask for just a little more death glare cara

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Shirleysjm said:

Who played Alfie Collins? He looked so familiar but IMDB doesn't list him.  In fact they only list eight cast members for this episode

When IMDb cast data hasn't been fully populated yet, there's thetvdb.com (I start by clicking the search icon in the upper right and entering the series title) from which I gleaned a list of "guest stars" (https://www.thetvdb.com/series/god-friended-me/episodes/6846512 ) including Aaron Staton.

Did anyone else hum "What's it All About, Alfie?" during this episode?  Just me, I guess!

On 11/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, shapeshifter said:

I liked a lot of this one, but I was very irritated at a guy whose stepfather put him through private schools and law school even after his mom died and he felt--what--unloved??????? I don't get it.

That's not "love"; that's "buying him off".  "Love" is taking the feelings that Sal and Alfie had on the boat and using them All The Time.  Love is not telling your son how much you loved him after you're dead, but every damn day.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, mommalib said:

I wonder how long it will take for Miles and Cara to end p on the same page romantically?

There was a scene early on of them just walking and talking, and it just works so much better if they're friends and not lovers.  

Personally, I hope Rakesh and Lucy hook up -- they're much more compatible than he is with Jaya.  Alas, Lucy is just listed as a minor player (among the one-shot characters on the end credits), so I doubt it.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

I wasn't quite charmed by this outing. Maybe I was distracted by RL (it happens) but Alfie's freak-out over becoming a father left me rather meh. 

As for Cara and her side-eye: not a fan. I was hoping the show would let both her and Miles go into their respective relationships without any feelings of remorse and regret and then just let things unfold rather naturally. This here (the instant regret as soon as another woman enters the scene) is too much of a soap opera staple for my taste. 

Also: I agree Miles is oddly chill about the idea of a nearly omniscient stalker monitoring his whole life. That is freaky and I wish he would pull a Finch and erase his digital existence for a while (yeah, I know hard to do with the podcast) but obviously Miles is not the paranoid type.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Did anyone else hum "What's it All About, Alfie?" during this episode?  Just me, I guess!

That's not "love"; that's "buying him off".  "Love" is taking the feelings that Sal and Alfie had on the boat and using them All The Time.  Love is not telling your son how much you loved him after you're dead, but every damn day.

There was a scene early on of them just walking and talking, and it just works so much better if they're friends and not lovers.  

Personally, I hope Rakesh and Lucy hook up -- they're much more compatible than he is with Jaya.  Alas, Lucy is just listed as a minor player (among the one-shot characters on the end credits), so I doubt it.

Miles and Cara would make a cute couple.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When IMDb cast data hasn't been fully populated yet, there's thetvdb.com (I start by clicking the search icon in the upper right and entering the series title) from which I gleaned a list of "guest stars" (https://www.thetvdb.com/series/god-friended-me/episodes/6846512 ) including Aaron Staton.

Oh, wow! That's why I knew him! He looks so different unspiffed up! Ken Cosgrove was such an uptight guy...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

This here (the instant regret as soon as another woman enters the scene) is too much of a soap opera staple for my taste. 

I don't think it was instant regret. She has not been "all in" about getting back together with Eli, either in conversation with her mother or when Miles asked how the date went. She insisted to her friend and to Eli that she and Miles are "just friends." She got defensive when Rakesh said she compartmentalized her life-fancy dinners with Eli, the God account with Miles. She clearly felt awkward at the idea of Eli and Miles being around each other, which is why she didn't invite Eli to see the Reverend play sax at first. She didn't stop to think, "why is the idea uncomfortable?" It seemed like she changed her mind to prove to herself that Rakesh was wrong, that she was totally comfortable with Eli and Miles both spending time with her in a social environment, and that she was happy in her renewed relationship with Eli.  Seeing a woman flirting with Miles made her come out of denial a bit as to *why* she's not glowing with happiness about her relationship.  

I would agree it was instant regret if Miles asked her out (which he didn't quite get to do), she turned him down to date Eli, and shortly after that got upset at seeing Miles with some woman while she was out with Eli. 

• Love 4

Its super weird to see Ken from Mad Men in modern New York, without an eye patch!

Enjoyed the episode a lot, both the Friend of the Week, and the ongoing stuff with Miles, Rakesh, and Cara. I think that fear of being a bad parent is a pretty major fear for people, especially people who didnt have good role models. It sounds like Sal had no idea how to be an involved parent, so he was very hands off, just supporting Alfie financially, and while he loved him, he never knew how to show it, which led Alfie to think that Sal was just supporting him out of obligation, not out of real paternal affection. I probably thought that the kid would pick up on his supposed bad parenting, even if he tried, and while that doesn't excuse him leaving his pregnant girlfriend, it does at least give some context, and let me want him to have a second chance. I figured that the pregnant woman would come back in, and I liked how they worked her back in. That God Account is a tricky one!

Cara definitely felt some jealously or sadness when she saw the DJ touching Miles leg. Oh yeah, its about time for that to finally become a thing. I hope they dont stretch out the Will They/Wont They thing for too long, I think that Cara and Miles would make a cute couple. Also, Miles really does have a super calming voice. Brandon Micheal Hall really should host a podcast, or do audio-books, or something. 

I liked the Rakesh plot was good too, and I think it could lead to some interesting stuff. I dont know if we will EVER get answers on the God Account, or wont be awhile, but I like that they're being proactive. 

This show really is the TV equivalent of eating a tub of ice cream, its just makes me happy, its comfort food. Its better for me at least. 

• Love 9
On 11/20/2018 at 5:17 PM, MissLucas said:

As for Cara and her side-eye: not a fan. I was hoping the show would let both her and Miles go into their respective relationships without any feelings of remorse and regret and then just let things unfold rather naturally. This here (the instant regret as soon as another woman enters the scene) is too much of a soap opera staple for my taste. 

Late to catching up with this, but my only comment is that I really don't need this type of drama from this show. Especially not this soon. I read more jealousy than regret, but either way, I'd rather have them be friends longer before they start with the will they/won't they romance tropes. Otherwise a good episode, despite the overuse of coincidences.

• Love 4