Type keyword(s) to search

Golden Girls Alphabet Game

• Start Topic

M is for the marriage between Max and Sophia.  At least the two of them wound up acknowledging it was stupid, and that they were too old to be that stupid, but that whole thing - the marriage, the business, staying in the house - was so dumb it wasn't particularly fun to watch.

• Love 1

P is for the Pervert Dentist, Dr. Norgren. He took advantage of Rose's good nature while she was in the dentist chair, but she threatened to report him to the State Dental Board. And she sprayed him with the water hose!

or:

P is for penny-pinching. Miles was a major penny-pincher and it drove Rose crazy! Day-old pastries, indeed.

Sorry, I had two and couldn't decide. So I put them both out there.

Edited by Miss Chevious

The above is a great one; it fits both when a character didn't behave very well AND when an actor could have been better.  I love Betty White, but thinks she's awful in the "In my mind, they're still here" breakdown.

W is for the wandering eye (and other body parts) Stan refused to keep control of.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Z is for the Zipper King, Mel Bushman.  I never bought his love story with Blanche.  (But then again, apparently neither did they.)

We've done the girls in other roles.  How about we do guest stars in other roles?

A is for Arrested Development, which featured Jeffrey Tambor, aka one of the doctors who blew off Dorothy's chronic fatigue symptoms.

B is for Batman - that is, the Adam West/Burt Ward TV series from the '60s.

Cesar Romero (aka Tony, the guy who "cared for" Sophia, but wouldn't say he loved her) was The Joker.

And David Wayne (Big Daddy in the episode where he's marrying a younger woman) played a villain called The Mad Hatter.

C is for Cagney & Lacey, in which Herb Edelman ("Stan") had a recurring role as a bail bondsman.

(Estelle Getty did an episode, too, and there are probably several other actors who appeared on both shows, but Edelman is who springs to mind.)

Edited by Bastet

Here's an obscure one - K is for Kennedy, a miniseries in which Geraldine Fitzgerald (who played Sophia's suicidal friend) played Rose Kennedy. And Martin Sheen played JFK.

She was a very interesting woman - she was gorgeous when she was young, and she was nominated for an Oscar in the '30s, She was on the verge of becoming a huge star in the early '40s, but then her studio dumped her for being a huge diva. And she ended up dating Orson Welles, and having his son out of wedlock.

That doesn't fit the category, so we're still on Q. 

Q is for Quantum Leap, in which Richard Herd (Rose's impotent boyfriend Ernie) appeared.

Edited by Bastet

My offering for S is a bit of a dud since I just used the same actor for Q, but I'll make up for it with T.

S is for Seinfeld, in which Richard Herd had a recurring role as Mr. Wilhelm.  Edited to improve on that:  And in which Sheree North (Blanche's sister, Virginia) played Kramer's mom.  And in which Lois Nettleton (Jean, who had the hots for Rose and not Blanche) appeared as the mother of one of George's girlfriends.  And ... probably more that still aren't coming to me.

T is for The Twilight Zone, in which several GG guest stars made memorable appearances, including Murray Hamilton (Big Daddy), Anne Francis (Dorothy’s friend Trudy, who knows no boundaries in her practical joking), Lloyd Bochner (womanizing actor Patrick Vaughn), Jeanette Nolan (Rose’s mother), Nan Martin (Frieda Claxton) and the wonderful Lois Nettleton (Jean).

Edited by Bastet

After this, I'm done procrastinating for the day, really. 

W is for Who’s the Boss, in which the delightful Robert Culp (who played Blanche’s date in the pacemaker episode) appeared as a charming con man.