Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Shelter From The Storm

• Start Topic

After the death of her parents, Jax matriculates at the Fleet Training Academy on Earth where she learns to defend the Galaxy from intergalactic threats and makes a new family of friends, but also makes a shocking discovery about her own identity.

Airdate: July 16, 2019

Professor Uncle's School for the Gifted ???

Do all these kids have powers of some sort ?

Traumatized lead character obsessed with finding out who killed her parents who is apparently an alien too but doesn't know it.  
Parents who are in on the big mystery of the show, and get killed for it.  Her superpower is to be super bossy.   Jax's project name is Pandora.
Apparently the rest of the dead colonists in New Portland are of no concern to anyone. 

Alien pretending to be helpful, but not really.

Mysterious uncle/father figure hiding a big secret.

Teaching assistant who is really a super spy.

Wormhole to another dimension.

A clone -- I guess Tatiana Maslany wasn't available.

Mysterious creatures defending said wormhole that apparently have human DNA.

Big mystery that could change the entire universe.  Sure it can, it's probably a new Shamwow or something.  </sarcasm>

This show has got it all.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The opening scene, was that an illusion projector to make the house and the surroundings look nice or an invisible biosphere bubble that allows vegetation to grow inside.

The main girl is very annoying and stubborn. As long as they all were short skirts, I don't mind.

How can a planet worried about war not see a spaceship take off from the planet? Why didn't they ask the one student that has pilot training to fly the spaceship?

If the girl can generate wormholes, why is she always late for class?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yep, it was a trope-feast but nowhere as bad as I had expected from reading a review of the pilot. They can't all be 'The Expanse' and this being on the CW it is of course targeted to that particular audience. But I liked it well enough and since it's not on Syfy it might get a chance to tell its story (and improve) before the plug gets pulled. This is the last season of 'Killjoys' and someone has to fill the gap for campy sci-fi during summer - show's not there yet but I'm willing to give it a try.

Also: Ezekiel.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
(edited)

I watched the pilot and... I'm out.

It was Every. Single. Trope. from YA scifi (and some fantasy books/shows too) all whirred up in a blender with dollops of "pretty young people" but sadly missing the seasoning of a decent script or good acting. 

I love some quirky genre shows (Siren, among others). But this is just the blandest blandfest that ever slouched onto screen.

Edited by LucidDreamer
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, LucidDreamer said:

I love some quirky genre shows (Siren, among others). But this is just the blandest blandfest that ever slouched onto screen.

I'm waiting to see if it can out-cheese and out-trope The Outpost.

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, LucidDreamer said:

It was Every. Single. Trope. from YA scifi (and some fantasy books/shows too) all whirred up in a blender with dollops of "pretty young people" but sadly missing the seasoning of a decent script or good acting.

Lucid Dreamer, I'll be the one wearing a pink scarf. Please wave hi.

• LOL 1
On 7/18/2019 at 5:58 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I'm waiting to see if it can out-cheese and out-trope The Outpost.

Stop, I like The Outpost.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:31 PM, LucidDreamer said:

I might give it a couple more episodes. The "pretty young people" haven't annoyed me too much yet. And I did like Ezekiel Jones. We'll see.

On 7/17/2019 at 1:44 AM, AnimeMania said:

The opening scene, was that an illusion projector

Yeah, I wasn't sure what that was all about. I hope they explain that.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, paulvdb said:

After the death of her parents, Jax matriculates at the Fleet Training Academy on Earth where she learns to defend the Galaxy from intergalactic threats and makes a new family of friends, but also makes a shocking discovery about her own identity.

Is this a children's show? I was annoyed that despite all the characters expositioning things they already knew to each other, I didn't feel like I knew much more than when the show started. I don't have much to watch right now, so I might stick around and see where this goes.

• Love 2

Wow I was in the mood for some tropey, cheesy space sci fi and that was definitely it but I'm not sure I'll bother with the next episodes. There's a lot of bad acting going around and the lead? They've fallen into the trap of being a bitchy idiot = strong female character. Seriously running around with 0.5% knowledge of anything but loudly talking about secret things and running into danger because she can't let it go. And oh look, another humanity destroying plot device who looks like a teenage girl. There's an insta group of friends but oohhh someone's betraying them. I bet he'll be going against his Dad in a few eps. Her Uncle was the best thing in it. 

Who am I kidding, I'll probably watch to the end of the season. 

• LOL 2
On 7/17/2019 at 4:46 AM, meatball77 said:

One of the boys is telepathic.  His dad went to jail for cheating at poker one too many times.

Is roommate a robot?

Sounds like the show has to many "species" that can be convulated and distracting. 

Traumatized lead character obsessed with finding out who killed her parents who is apparently an alien too but doesn't know it.  

Didnt finish the pilot, but curious, so she is really an alien or no?  half alien, half human?

When Pandy and Purple!clone are having their first conversation, watch the people in the background.

Our heroes stop and the others stop and converse in two groups of two.

Our heroes walk and they walk.

Our heroes stop again and they stop and converse in one groups of four.

Apparently the skill of waking around someone was lost in the war against the not!aliens.