Type keyword(s) to search

Miss Scarlet and The Duke In The Media: Getting A Royal Clue

• Start Topic

Just read these really good interviews with Rachael New (show's creator, writer and EP) and Felix Scott (plays Nash) that are posted at PBS.org - warning: spoilers for Season 3 episodes that have already aired in the USA (if you haven't watched them yet)...

Interview with Rachael New: Romance, Rivals, and Revelations
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/interview-with-miss-scarlet-and-the-dukes-rachael-new-romance-rivals-and-revelations 

MASTERPIECE:
This season we met someone from Eliza’s past who she’s not so thrilled to see, again. Can you tell us a little bit about Arabella?

RACHAEL NEW:
Arabella came from Season 1, Episode 1, when we saw flashbacks to young Eliza. [Eliza’s] been kind of bullied at school and Arabella Herbert is mentioned then to her father. So it was really nice when Ben and I were story-lining and just thinking about, you know, if we brought a love [rival] in for Eliza, who could that be? And it was just perfect to go, “What about the girl from school? You know, the popular girl from school that comes back.”  The show always works best, I think, when we are thinking in character terms. So rather than just have a random woman turn up, to actually have [someone] as a personal insult to Eliza…that double whammy was really nice to have.

In terms of how her character impacts the story, it’s interesting, because I think to the audience, she’s not dislikable. Some of the audience will think she’s not particularly likable, but some will find her quite fun. She’s a woman who is trying to — like Eliza — make her business work. So we do have that sympathy and empathy for her.

And to be fair on her, she doesn’t know Eliza has feelings for Duke. What I like about that storyline is part of me wanted the audience to feel sorry for Eliza or resonate with Eliza, but I also wanted them to think, well, you are not making a move, you are not doing anything about this relationship. So I think Arabella coming on the scene really… shows what a dilemma [Eliza’s] in, internally.

MASTERPIECE:
Can you tell us more about that Episode 3 moment between Eliza and Nash at the Hotel St Marc, and what made him decide to trust her with the truth about his past?

RACHAEL NEW:
That episode’s very special to me because that’s the episode I directed, which I really, really love doing. And it was really nice for me because Felix Scott is such a brilliant actor, and having him and Kate together, it was so much fun. We filmed the scene with him talking about his brother, and they’re handcuffed to the pipes in the hotel basement. We really were in the basement! It was a great location.

It’s a beautifully written episode written by Ben Edwards. It really peels back the onion of Nash, and it is slightly left ambiguous. I think most people will kind of go, “He’s telling the truth,” but there’s still that moment [where you wonder] can she trust him? You never really know with him. He is a player and he’s an opportunist. But it was very moving, that scene, because Felix did play it beautifully. And even Eliza at the end of that scene is thinking, “Well, have I been too harsh with him? You know, maybe I need to kind of trust him a bit more.” And so from that moment, this friendship does start to develop and we see that moving into Season 4 as well. They’ve got quite a complex relationship. He is a really interesting character to write for, he’s one of my favorites.

MASTERPIECE:
With Eliza and William, there’s obviously still some feelings there, and their will they, won’t they dance keeps turning. Can you talk about their Season 3 journey?

RACHAEL NEW:
It’s complicated, as usual. And we want to keep it complicated because we want to keep the freshness there and we want to give them obstacles and to give that kind of lovely drama bubbling between them.

They are getting to a place where they are used to working together more. They’re more equal, I think. He is accepting that she’s not going to give up her her business. He’s having to almost flick a switch in his brain to go, you know, whatever he thought that they could be in Season 2, it’s either not going to happen right now or it’s going to take some time. But in the meantime, we still have this lovely, bubbling, will they, won’t they between them. I feel like there’s more tenderness between them in this season. We’ve still got that lovely bicker and banter, but it just feels like an even deeper connection with them. They’ve both got their problems to deal with.

He desperately wants this to work with Arabella. She would make him probably quite happy. She would give him the home that he would want. She would cook, she’s a great cook. If you put on paper what Arabella would be like as a wife, and what Eliza would be as a wife, [Arabella] would probably be the one to give him that traditional life that a 19th century man would want.

But nevertheless, he still has this burning passion for Eliza and he’s still in love with Eliza, and that’s not going to go anywhere. It’s kind of bittersweet journey for them in Season 3.

MASTERPIECE:
Who do you think is more reluctant to show their feelings between the two of them?

RACHAEL NEW:
Oh, that’s such a good question. I think possibly [Eliza]. I feel like they’re both as reluctant as each other, but maybe in slightly different ways, because I think for him, it’s about showing that vulnerability. He would struggle. He’s a very proud kind of alpha male of his time with her. For her, I think it’s more fear because she knows that once she commits to that, she has to give an awful lot up. It would be very, very unlikely that [they’d continue working], as married women at that time, they would give up their jobs. They just wouldn’t work unless they were very poor. It would be so frowned upon socially for a professional man to be married to a working woman. It just would be very strange for anyone to get their head round.

I’m not saying that wouldn’t happen, should they get together, but it would be really complicated for them and it particularly for her. So I think there’s a fear there of what the expectations of her life would be, how they would shift if she were to sort of admit her feelings and for things to progress with them.

MASTERPIECE:
What do you get asked most about by fans of the show?

RACHAEL NEW:
I think the, the biggest thing with fans is when are they going to kiss. No one really seems to talks about the crimes! You know, we spend a lot of time on the crime of the week, and it’s just about the love affair [for the audience]. The fans are more engaged in the dynamics of all the relationships. So Eliza and Ivy, Eliza and Moses, people love Duke and Fitzroy, people love Fitzroy and Phelps.

I think mostly people are wanting to know what’s going to happen with the will they, won’t they. I generally end up saying, watch this space. It it is one of those things…it is a slow burn and it is one of those very complicated relationships. And I want to make the most of that. I want to really explore it in all its difficult glory.

Felix Scott Interview: The Fantastic Mr. Nash
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/felix-scott-interview-the-fantastic-mr-nash/ 

MASTERPIECE:
We learn a little bit more about Nash’s history this season when he reveals the truth about his family, but mostly about his brother, in Episode 3. What makes him decide to be honest with Eliza about his past to have that vulnerable moment?

FELIX SCOTT:
In Season 2, he’s quite unlikable at first because he’s so charming, but he’s slippery, quite abrasive, and sinister, and is prepared to get results in any which way he can. He’s really intrigued by Eliza and what she can do. He slowly starts to realize what an amazing detective she is really and spends most of his time trying to enlist her.

I think he learns to trust her. I think they both learn to trust each other and they both recognize similarities within one another. I would describe Nash as a Victorian feminist, which might sound quite ridiculous, but he believes in her and believes in her skills. It doesn’t matter that she is a woman in a very, a very strong man’s world. She can hold her own. She’s brighter than anyone else, frankly. She’s brilliant at her job. And he recognizes those fantastic qualities in her.

Because of that and because of wanting to be on her side, instead of using the nefarious means of trying to get to her or use her, he realizes that the best way is to be truthful with her and to reveal part of himself. I think she brings out in him parts of his personality that he has buried or that he’s tried to keep quiet… I often talk with Rachael [New] about how…it’s a fractious relationship, but it’s also a fun one as well. He likes her, but at the end of the day, they drive each other up the wall. But they like each other. And I think that’s what you’re going to see through Season 3 is a thawing of their relationship.
MASTERPIECE:
It seems that Eliza is his closest friend, even though they have that back and forth.

FELIX SCOTT:
I’d agree. I don’t think he has many friends at all. I think he has colleagues, but I think he’s really intrigued by Eliza and how brilliant she is. I don’t think he’s ever met anyone like her. I mean, she is an incredible character. She’s Eliza Scarlet. She’s a survivor like him. And him recognizing in her those same traits really draws him towards her…They’re like an old married couple, really.

MASTERPIECE:
How would you describe Nash’s feelings towards Eliza? Does he see her as a competitor, a friend, maybe something more?

FELIX SCOTT:
I’d say all of the above. I think when we meet Nash, he definitely sees her as a competitor. He views her as someone to beat, someone who is so good that he wants her on his team, but he also wants to show her that he’s the best. Now, what transpires inevitably is that he realizes that she’s a much better private detective than he is, and that’s a surprise to him. But it’s also an opportunity, because he’s an opportunist. Eliza is funny, strong, attractive, intelligent, and anybody would be mad not to be drawn towards that. So all of those things pull Nash towards her. It’s all of the above. Now, whether there will be any romantic liaisons with them in the future, who knows? I don’t know. But, for the moment, their business relationship is a tempestuous one, but one that is really interesting to see develop.

MASTERPIECE:
Will he ever stop asking Eliza to work for him?

FELIX SCOTT:
I think he’ll always be on it. I think she is too good a detective not to want her on his team. When does she ever fail? She doesn’t fail. She’s magnificent at her job. She may win, she may lose some battles, but she always tends to win the war. She’s so good at what she does that I think his pursuit of her will be relentless. He’s a relentless man. He will do whatever it takes to win. He will do whatever it takes to succeed in whatever job that he has given. And his job is to be a private detective. If that means enrolling, enlisting her, then that’s what he’ll do. He wants what he wants, as does she. So you have, you know, an irresistible force and an unmovable object hitting head on.

Edited by tv echo

More Season 3 cast interviews posted at PBS.org...

Cathy Belton Leads Ivy Woods Through The Kitchen Door And Into The Modern World
Released January 29, 2023
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/podcasts/masterpiece-studio/cathy-belton/ 

Jace In series two, Ivy awakens Wellington and finds him at the home of a woman in the early hours of the morning. But Ivy doesn’t seem shocked at all by this turn of events. Is that something that the old Ivy perhaps would have been scandalized by, but the new Ivy doesn’t blink an eye about?

Cathy I think you’re absolutely right, I think the new Ivy is just going, ‘Yeah, whatever,  there you are, having your night with your prostitutes. But we’ve other important things to do.’ And I think she almost treats the Duke like a son, as well. You know, it’s a mother kind of dragging the son out of the, you know, the nightclub and going, ‘Come on, we have things to do.’ And I love that about her.
Jace Why is Ivy so flustered by the publicness of the proposal? And is that what’s actually going on?

Cathy The publicness of it is only one tiny aspect of it, I think. I think if she was truly convinced that this is what she wants, I think she might have enjoyed this proposal. But Ivy, as I said earlier on, she’s changing. A new world has been opened up to her. And I think she you know, she her old Victorian preconceptions that she was brought up to get married, be a wife, and that was her lot. But Eliza’s opened the door for her and she’s seen beyond the mountains and she loves what she sees. So I think she’s fearful that if she accepts this proposal, that that door will shut again, or that she’ll have pulled the door closed, and she wants to get out of the cage. I think there’s half of Ivy that wants to go and see what’s out there.
Cathy I think it’s huge. The arc has been huge from the first season series to this, to this Victorian housekeeper sitting down with her young surrogate daughter and saying, ‘All my life, all I ever wanted to do, I was taught to go “you grow up, you get married, have kids, and that would be your lot.’ And suddenly, Ivy has become this modern woman in front our very eyes. And it’s not a fairy tale. It’s a complex fairy tale, now. It’s a very, very complex fairy tale. And I think I honestly don’t know how she can figure it out. And we certainly know that Mr. Potts couldn’t move in, or there’d be war you know, if they got married. So it’s interesting to play those two again. I think always my motivation to play Ivy is always these two tectonic plates inside her, the old and the new. And they keep– that’s the core tension inside this woman. And of the old and the new, the loyal, the truth, the, you know, the education of Victorian values and that constant tension.
Jace Given that she has now found love, have Ivy’s views on Eliza and the Duke changed at all? How does she see Eliza and William’s own prospects as a potential couple, given how well she knows them both?

Cathy Oh, I think Ivy always seen these two people trying to find each other, trying to finally admit that they love each other. She sees a huge friendship between them. But most importantly, I think she’s on the sideline going, ‘You have to sort this out, or you’re going to be miserable. And you will lose probably the love of your life if you let it go.’ But she also sees that Eliza has worked so hard to break down so many barriers and walls in this world that she can actually understand in a way or in a strange way, Ivy is doing the same thing on a smaller level with Potts, you know, what do you compromise if she…William, she’s never wanted to be wife and settle down and have kids with William, but she loves him. So it’s a great dilemma for these two. And Ivy can see both sides. But I think as it goes on, she realizes that these two need to be together.
Jace So I have to ask. You’re back filming series four of Miss Scarlet now. Is there any chance that wedding bells might ring out for Ivy and Barnabas?

Cathy Oh, that’s a really good question. I don’t know. I don’t know. I think there’s every chance. And but I think there’s a lot more drama to play out before they ever get to that stage or maybe break up and come back together. I don’t know. I would hope that there is. I would hope that maybe that might be something in the future, but I don’t know.

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 3: The Duke and Fitzroy
Masterpiece PBS    Jan 18, 2023

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 3: Stuart Martin on The Duke
Masterpiece PBS    Jan 10, 2023

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
On 2/6/2023 at 10:18 AM, tv echo said:

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 3: The Duke and Fitzroy
Masterpiece PBS    Jan 18, 2023

OK, that was delightful. I didn't know I needed to hear Stuart Martin say the word "bromance" until now. And Evan McCabe's Irish accent is adorable.

• Like 1

Stuart Martin Answers Fan Questions
February 9, 2023
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-star-stuart-martin-answers-fan-questions/ 

MASTERPIECE:
If you could give your character William “The Duke” Wellington a bit of life advice, what would it be? – Samantha

STUART MARTIN:
I think Duke’s the one that should be giving me the advice really, but if there was one thing I could say to him, it would be: Kiss Eliza.
MASTERPIECE:
We know William is seeking a promotion, but what other goals drive him, both personally and professionally? How content is he really, despite Eliza’s description of him? – Sally M. from Massachusetts

STUART MARTIN:
I feel like contentment is overrated. We have to have those ups and downs to drive us forward. Joy and loss. That’s the balance. And I think that applies to William. At that moment he is pretty content. He’s content in London, working away and getting to see and work with Eliza. Mostly. But when that gets rocked, he wont be content, he’ll want more. His life may well be more fulfilling professionally if he moved to Scotland or around the country chasing promotions and rising up the ranks. But something’s keeping him in London…

MASTERPIECE:
Why is the Inspector referred to as “The Duke?” Does he come from some kind of royalty?  Where does that title come from? – Vivienne L.

STUART MARTIN:
I get asked that a lot, so much so that at one point there was chat of putting it in to Season 2, but I also like the fact it’s not really explained. Like so many pet names or nicknames we pick up. He’s collected that nickname at Scotland Yard from the men in reference to the Duke of Wellington. A tough and uncompromising leader. who also happened to be a bit of a ladies man…
MASTERPIECE:
Will you ever really get together with Miss Scarlet, or will we be kept wondering? – Shari K.

STUART MARTIN:
We’ll have to wait and see. We’ve just finished Season 4 and there’s lots of really exciting and lovely developments this year.  Beautifully written by Rachael [New] and Ben [Edwards]. I can’t wait for you all to see.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 3: Patrick Nash: Friend or Foe?
Masterpiece PBS   Jan 25, 2023

Miss Scarlet and The Duke...and Arabella: Season 3
Masterpiece PBS   Feb 7, 2023

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 3: Where Do They Go From Here?
Masterpiece PBS   Feb 15, 2023

MASTERPIECE Studio Podcast: Cathy Belton Leads Ivy Woods Into The Modern World
Masterpiece PBS   Feb 15, 2023

MASTERPIECE Studio Podcast: Stuart Martin Knows The Duke Has A Perfect Clearance Rate, Off-Camera
Masterpiece PBS   Feb 20, 2023

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Miss Scarlet and The Duke’s Kate Phillips on Season 3
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/miss-scarlet-and-the-dukes-kate-phillips-on-season-3/

MASTERPIECE:
What a huge way to finish off Season 3. What do you think drove Eliza to finally accept Nash’s offer?

KATE PHILLIPS:
It’s a little ambiguous, but I think ultimately for Eliza, the opportunity to run a bigger agency with more challenging cases is always going to be appealing. You know, she’s always looking to get ahead and I think she can’t shut that bit of her brain down, as much as she sort of turned him down time and time again. I think that his never-ending faith in her abilities just wore her down, sort of broke her resolve in the end. It’s too attractive of a proposition for her to turn down, perhaps. So, it’ll be super exciting to see how she manages, how she survives in an office with loads of men.
MASTERPIECE:
Felix [Scott] at one point said Eliza and Nash have that back and forth and they bicker like an old married couple.

KATE PHILLIPS:
I think it sort of creeps up on them, actually, because I think…perhaps less so with Nash towards Eliza, but Eliza…over time I think she realizes that actually, she kind of adores him, but she was surprised by those feelings in the end. She [now] has huge amount of respect for him as a friend.
MASTERPIECE:
We also saw that major moment at the end of Season 3 with Arabella and Duke, when she broke things off with him because he’s so clearly in love with Eliza. So does this mean maybe a big confession is on the horizon? And how would Eliza handle something like that?
KATE PHILLIPS:

Yeah, I think it’s a step in the right direction in terms of William’s clarity and his understanding of his feelings. Because I think that’s been a bit murky for him up until now. But I think Eliza has a little way to go before she’s prepared to admit her feelings.

I really enjoyed doing that scene where she goes to say something in that final scene in the Season 2 finale, and then she’s robbed of that moment when she realizes that he’s staying. I think that doesn’t really change in terms of [her] not really being prepared to look at her heart and really analyze it. I think partly because there’s a much bigger picture ahead of her. She’s incredibly ambitious and the sacrifices that she’d have to make in order to be in a relationship with William in a way that would need to happen. I think maybe she’s not quite ready for that, but never say never.

Hopefully her independence and her feelings can coexist together and, I guess even in modern relationships, that’s still a bit of a challenge. So maybe they’ll find a little groove together.
MASTERPIECE:
Who would be a better partner in solving crime: Nash or the Duke?
KATE PHILLIPS:

My loyalty is to the Duke, so I have to say the Duke. But we do laugh, Stuart [Martin] and I, because I’m not sure if he’s solved any cases! I think he might have solved one or so. We believe he’s a really good Detective Inspector and he’s got a good heart. But we can’t remember what cases he’s solved!

MASTERPIECE:
And who would be a better partner in crime: Nash or the Duke?

KATE PHILLIPS:
Oh, definitely Nash. Because he’s really naughty…And he doesn’t have the morality of a police officer, so he can kind of get away with anything he wants to get away with!

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Warning: mild spoilers for Season 4 - includes comments from Rachael New, Kate Phillips and Felix Scott...

Creator Rachael New and Cast on What’s Ahead in Season 4
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/creator-rachael-new-and-cast-on-whats-ahead-in-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-season-4/

MASTERPIECE: The Season 3 finale leaves us with quite a few major changes ahead. Eliza finally taking up Nash’s offer to work with him with him, Arabella and William’s breakup and why she did it… What does that all mean going forward?

Rachael New: I can tell you that Season 4 does set a few hairs running with both of those things. I don’t want to give too much away, but it does set Eliza on a different track, and it does bring home to Duke what he really does want. He’s got to seize the day. So, it brings things to a head. Like Eliza’s got to decide: “Do I want to carry on in this kind of small business that I’m struggling with? Or do I want the weight and the clout of the most successful private detective agency in London behind me?” That opens a box for her, like Pandora’s box. That sets her on a different trajectory than she would’ve probably been on had Nash not come on the scene.

And with the Duke, it’s having somebody out loud for the first time vocalize his feelings, which he’s never done and no one’s ever said those things to him before. That’s like a sharp kind of slap in the face. That’s going to make him wake up and smell the coffee and realize that, you know, is it time to do something about it? So yes, Season 4 sees them both go on a slightly different journey.
MASTERPIECE: What will Eliza’s decision mean for her relationship with Nash? Will they be closer ever than ever? Or will they butt heads even more? 

Kate Phillips: There’s a whole lot more of them butting heads, which is how I feel like the show really works, in a sense. You know, in Season 3…all I seem to remember is just playing a lot of frustration, a lot of fury, particularly at Nash. But then there are moments of real hilarity, very funny sparring, that kind of finally ends in a very sweet resolve. So, you know, their relationship obviously gets more familiar with each other [in Season 4], but there’s always going to be that tension, in the same way that there is with her and William.

MASTERPIECE: Can you give us any more teasers about what we can expect in Season 4?

Kate Phillips: There’s a little bit more about Eliza and William’s history, how they came to be. There’ll definitely be some more fun characters for you to meet that are really great and you’ll just love them. And more sparring and back and forth than ever!

We’ll definitely see Eliza more in action mode, which…Rachael [New]’s finally listened to me —I mean, she’s doesn’t need to listen to me, but she’s definitely heard my cries of like, “I want  more action!”
MASTERPIECE: What do viewers have to look forward to in Season 4? 

Felix Scott: I think what you are going to see, particularly from Season 3 and into Season 4, is the development of the relationship between Eliza and Patrick in both friendship and a business sense. You’re going to see more action, more intrigue, more suspense, more detective work, and even more fun arguments between the two of them. Because frankly, that’s the pattern that they have between the two of them and the repertoire that really drives forward their friendship and their working relationship, as well.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
(edited)

Editor Eoin McGuirk on ‘Miss Scarlet and The Duke’ and Crafting a Narrative Through Editing
Jake Stern     2 days ago
https://ventsmagazine.com/2023/05/01/editor-eoin-mcguirk-on-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-and-crafting-a-narrative-through-editing/ 

Were there any particularly challenging or memorable scenes that you edited for “Miss Scarlet and The Duke”? Can you talk about the process of editing those scenes and how you worked through those challenges?

The first scene that springs to mind is a scene from the last episode of Season 3, which is the last episode that I cut, so perhaps there’s a little recency bias there. It’s a scene with both Eliza and Duke. They are in a jeweller’s shop trying to get information about a shipment of diamonds, but they are undercover so they are pretending to be an engaged couple buying an engagement ring. But all of that plot is purely window dressing. The real point of the scene is to show Scarlet and Duke pretending to be in love. At first, this involves Scarlet playfully teasing a reluctant Duke into telling the story of how he proposed to her. This first part of the scene is played for laughs off of Scarlet’s delight in making Duke uncomfortable, but the scene turns on Duke’s earnest description of the fake proposal. For a moment Eliza is taken by the idea of Duke telling her that she’s the “most beautiful woman in the world” and that they were “meant to be together”. The scene plays really nicely on the characters unspoken feelings and expectations, but equally importantly to the feelings and expectations of the audience. And these feelings are underlined by holding for just the right amount of time on the last two singles of Duke and Eliza before Eliza spins away from Duke and back to the jeweller, breaking the spell. It wasn’t a challenge as such to cut this scene. It was fun.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Is PBS or some channel going to replay this series anytime soon?  I've watched season 1 and have all of season 2 and 3 recorded except the first 2 eps of season 2.  I'm waiting for them before I watch the rest, but with the summer lull, I might end up just watching what I have.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:12 AM, tv echo said:

Warning: mild spoilers for Season 4 - includes comments from Rachael New, Kate Phillips and Felix Scott...

Creator Rachael New and Cast on What’s Ahead in Season 4
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/creator-rachael-new-and-cast-on-whats-ahead-in-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-season-4/

Happy to see that there will be a Season 4.  Any more info on release date?

I really like Nash, I'm glad we are getting more of him.  I hope Arabella doesn't reappear, I would think she won't, but the mere reference of her name in this article makes me afraid she will be back.

Miss Scarlet and The Duke Season 4  January 7, 2024   Masterpiece on PBS  8 pm 

Eliza (Kate Phillips) has taken over the business of Nash & Sons (not that he has any sons) and things are not going entirely smoothly, although help comes from some familiar sources. Outside of work, her relationship with William (the Duke, played by Stuart Martin) builds towards a looming decision that will shape both their lives.
MSATD_S4_FirstLook_3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

PBS has posted Season 4 air dates and descriptions for all six episodes...

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke/episodes/ 

Season 4 | Episode 1: Elysium
Airing 1/7/2024 @ 8:00 PM

Spoiler

Season 4 opens with Eliza having taken over the business of Nash & Sons (not that he has any sons) and things are not going entirely smoothly, although help comes from some familiar sources. Outside of work, her relationship with William (The Duke) builds towards a looming decision that will shape both their lives.

In fact, Eliza teams up with Duke to investigate a burglary in a high-end brothel whose clients include important members of the British government.

Season 4 | Episode 2: Six Feet Under
Airing 1/14/2024 @ 8:00 PM

Spoiler

When a close friend of Mr. Potts is murdered, Eliza finds herself investigating the dark and macabre world of Victorian undertakers.

Season 4 | Episode 3: Origins
Airing 1/21/2024 @ 8:00 PM

Spoiler

The story of how it all began. It’s twelve years earlier and Duke and Eliza meet for the very first time.

Season 4 | Episode 4: The Diamond Feather
Airing 1/28/2024 @ 8:00 PM

Spoiler

Things are going well for Eliza until a familiar face shows up to question her role at Nash & Sons. Meanwhile, Duke receives an offer that brings their relationship to a crisis point.

Season 4 | Episode 5: The Calling
Airing 2/4/2024 @ 8:00 PM

Spoiler

Eliza and Nash are still struggling to work together when an explosive case takes them into a cutthroat industry where people will kill to keep their secrets.

Season 4 | Episode 6: The Fugitive
Airing 2/11/2024 @ 8:00 PM

Spoiler

Eliza is on the trail of a fugitive who is charged with murder. She must find him before the police do or risk losing everything.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 3

Everything to Know About Miss Scarlet and The Duke Season 4
PBS   Posted 1 day ago
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/everything-to-know-about-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-season-4/ 

Spoiler

2. What to Expect in Miss Scarlet and The Duke Season 4

Some major moments shook things up in the Season 3 finale — most notably, when Eliza made the shocking decision to finally accept Nash’s job offer. But at the start of Season 4, we find that things are not going entirely smoothly over at Nash & Sons for Eliza.  Meanwhile, outside of work, Eliza’s relationship with William is heading toward a looming decision that will shape both their lives.

3. Miss Scarlet and The Duke Season 4 Teasers from the Creator and Cast
Rachael New (Creator/Writer/Executive Producer): “Eliza’s got to decide: ‘Do I want to carry on in this kind of small business that I’m struggling with? Or do I want the weight and the clout of the most successful private detective agency in London behind me?’ That opens a box for her, like Pandora’s box.”
Kate Phillips (Eliza) : According to the leading lady of the series, there will be “more about Eliza and William’s history [and] how they came to be.” Plus, “There’ll definitely be some more fun characters for you to meet that are really great and you’ll just love them. And more sparring and back and forth than ever!”
Stuart Martin (The Duke): “There’s a lot of revelations, a lot of the emotional stories are really pushed and tested,” Martin teased. “We get to see Eliza and Duke really move forward in their relationship.”

Felix Scott (Nash): “Eliza and Nash get into a lot of trouble. That’s their thing, that’s their M.O.,” said Scott. “There’s a lot more running around, there’s a lot of capering which is going around which is lots of fun.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Thanks 1
On 11/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, tv echo said:

Everything to Know About Miss Scarlet and The Duke Season 4
PBS   Posted 1 day ago
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/everything-to-know-about-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-season-4/ 

Reveal spoiler

2. What to Expect in Miss Scarlet and The Duke Season 4

Some major moments shook things up in the Season 3 finale — most notably, when Eliza made the shocking decision to finally accept Nash’s job offer. But at the start of Season 4, we find that things are not going entirely smoothly over at Nash & Sons for Eliza.  Meanwhile, outside of work, Eliza’s relationship with William is heading toward a looming decision that will shape both their lives.

3. Miss Scarlet and The Duke Season 4 Teasers from the Creator and Cast
Rachael New (Creator/Writer/Executive Producer): “Eliza’s got to decide: ‘Do I want to carry on in this kind of small business that I’m struggling with? Or do I want the weight and the clout of the most successful private detective agency in London behind me?’ That opens a box for her, like Pandora’s box.”
Kate Phillips (Eliza) : According to the leading lady of the series, there will be “more about Eliza and William’s history [and] how they came to be.” Plus, “There’ll definitely be some more fun characters for you to meet that are really great and you’ll just love them. And more sparring and back and forth than ever!”
Stuart Martin (The Duke): “There’s a lot of revelations, a lot of the emotional stories are really pushed and tested,” Martin teased. “We get to see Eliza and Duke really move forward in their relationship.”

Felix Scott (Nash): “Eliza and Nash get into a lot of trouble. That’s their thing, that’s their M.O.,” said Scott. “There’s a lot more running around, there’s a lot of capering which is going around which is lots of fun.”

Thanks! 

I can't wait!

• Like 1
On 12/24/2023 at 7:45 AM, tv echo said:

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 4: Kate's and Stuart's Favorite Things
Masterpiece PBS   Dec 20, 2023

New season starts on PBS Jan7th!

They have been replay season one and two and maybe season three last weekend and this coming weekend. I almost forgot how much I LOVE this show!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Miss Scarlet and the Duke, Season 4, Episode 1, premieres on PBS tonight at 8:00pm EST...

New Home for Golden Globes, ‘All Creatures’ and ‘Miss Scarlet’ on PBS, Jon Hamm in ‘Grimsburg,’ Spoiled Cooks
Matt Roush  January 6, 2024 
https://www.tvinsider.com/1116990/2024-golden-globe-awards-all-creatures-great-and-small-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-grimsburg-worst-cooks-in-america-spoiled-rotten/ 

Miss Scarlet and the Duke
PBS  SEASON PREMIERE  8/7c
SUNDAY:
Also back for a fourth season, the Victorian light mystery finds Eliza Scarlet (Kate Phillips) running the Nash & Sons detective agency—into the ground, given that the entire staff walked out, choosing not to work under such a headstrong female boss. Their loss. While she scrambles for work, Detective Inspector William “Duke” Wellington (Stuart Martin) is overwhelmed with cases as Scotland Yard expands its territory without adding resources. Once again, they’ll have to put aside their professional pride—and that unmistakable sexual tension—to work on a delicate case, the latest involving the shooting of a government minister (Grantchester’s Al Weaver) at a well-connected brothel.

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 4: The Cast Plays Would You Rather
Masterpiece PBS     Jan 3, 2024

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The More Things Change, the More Things Stay the Same as 'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4 Begins
BY LACY BAUGHER    JANUARY 7TH, 2024
https://tellyvisions.org/article/miss-scarlet-duke-season-4-episode-1-recap-elysium

‘Miss Scarlet and the Duke’ 4×01 Review: “Elysium”
RACHEL     JAN 8, 2024
https://fangirlish.com/2024/01/08/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-4x01-review-elysium/ 

'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4 Episode 1 Recap: fake it till you make it
By Jackie Bruleigh    January 7, 2024
https://www.wgbh.org/tv-shows/drama/2024-01-07/miss-scarlet-the-duke-season-4-episode-1-recap-fake-it-till-you-make-it

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

In "Six Feet Under," Death Is All Around 'Miss Scarlet & The Duke'
BY LACY BAUGHER     JANUARY 14, 2024
https://tellyvisions.org/article/miss-scarlet-duke-season-4-episode-2-recap-six-feet-under

'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Season 4 Episode 2
Daniel Hautzinger   JANUARY 14, 2024
https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2024/01/14/miss-scarlet-and-duke-recap-season-4-episode-2 

'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4 Episode 2 Recap: two funeral homes, both alike in dignity
By Jackie Bruleigh    January 14, 2024
https://www.wgbh.org/tv-shows/drama/2024-01-14/miss-scarlet-the-duke-season-4-episode-2-recap-two-funeral-homes-both-alike-in-dignity 

‘Miss Scarlet and the Duke’ 4×02 Review: “Six Feet Under”
RACHEL     JAN 15, 2024
https://fangirlish.com/2024/01/15/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-4x02-review-six-feet-under/ 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Sneak peek at next episode...

Episode 3 Scene
Season 4

Short | 01:39

In a flashback to the past, a young Eliza meets the unexpected house guest her father invited named William, for the very first time.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/clips/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-s4-e3-scene/ 

Also, this vid includes shots not yet aired...

Actors' Advice for Their Characters
Season 4
Short | 02:55

What advice would Kate Phillips, Stuart Martin, and more give to their own characters? Watch to find out what words of wisdom they shared!

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/clips/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-s4-actors-advice-for-their-characters/ 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

The 10 Best Period Detective Dramas To Binge Right Now
BY SONIYA HINDUJA   JANUARY 20, 2024
https://movieweb.com/best-period-detective-dramas-binge/ 

1   Miss Scarlet and the Duke (2020-present)
In Miss Scarlet and the Duke, a headstrong Victorian woman defies preconceived notions about women, breaks free of societal expectations, and teams up with useful allies to run her own detective agency in London.

After a tumultuous start in the male-dominated crime solving industry, Eliza Scarlet is finally able to use her keen eye and analytical skills to crack cases that Scotland Yard cannot. Meanwhile, her partnership with the irritable Duke of Wellington blossoms from childhood friendship into something more.
Much like Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, and Netflix’s Enola Holmes, this British-American period drama passes the torch to an unstoppable heroine. Audiences are nothing if not thrilled to watch her refuse sexist standards like marriage set by society and instead solve intricate murder mysteries with unmatched flair.

Miss Scarlet is played excellently by Kate Phillips, and Stuart Martin plays her will-they-won't-they counterpart William. Together, with their chemistry and slow-burn romance, they transform the series into a wildly entertaining adventure.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Season 4 Episode 3
Daniel Hautzinger   JANUARY 21, 2024
https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2024/01/21/miss-scarlet-and-duke-recap-season-4-episode-3

'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Shows Us How Its Central Relationship Began in "Origins"
BY LACY BAUGHER    JANUARY 21, 2024
https://tellyvisions.org/article/miss-scarlet-duke-season-4-episode-3-recap-origins

'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4 Episode 3 Recap: when William met Lizzy
By Jackie Bruleigh    January 21, 2024
https://www.wgbh.org/tv-shows/drama/2024-01-21/miss-scarlet-the-duke-season-4-episode-3-recap-when-william-met-lizzy

‘Miss Scarlet and the Duke’ 4×03 Review: “Origins”
RACHEL     JANUARY 22, 2024
https://fangirlish.com/2024/01/22/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-4x03-review-origins/

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 4: Young Eliza & William
Masterpiece PBS    Jan 23, 2024

Actors Laura Marcus and Matt Olsen discuss playing the younger versions of Eliza and William and telling the story of how the two beloved characters first met. #katephillips #lauramarcus #stuartmartin #mattolsen #missscarletpbs #masterpiecemystery #masterpiecepbs 

• Love 2

On 'Miss Scarlet & The Duke,' the Hunt for "The Diamond Feather" Brings Seismic Changes for Eliza & William
BY LACY BAUGHER    JANUARY 28, 2024
https://tellyvisions.org/article/miss-scarlet-duke-season-4-episode-4-recap-diamond-feather

'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Season 4 Episode 4
Daniel Hautzinger   JANUARY 28, 2024
https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2024/01/28/miss-scarlet-and-duke-recap-season-4-episode-4

'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4 Episode 4 Recap: goodbye, Earl
By Jackie Bruleigh    January 28, 2024
https://www.wgbh.org/tv-shows/drama/2024-01-28/miss-scarlet-the-duke-season-4-episode-4-recap-goodbye-earl

MASTERPIECE Studio Podcast | Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 4: Stuart Martin
Masterpiece PBS   Jan 30, 2024

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 4: Eliza's Circle
Masterpiece PBS   Feb 1, 2024

In the Penultimate Episode of 'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4, We All Miss William
BY LACY BAUGHER    FEBRUARY 4, 2024
https://tellyvisions.org/article/miss-scarlet-duke-season-4-episode-5-recap-calling 

'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Season 4 Episode 5
Daniel Hautzinger  FEBRUARY 4, 2024
https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2024/02/04/miss-scarlet-and-duke-recap-season-4-episode-5 

'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4 Episode 5 Recap: call me, maybe?
By Jackie Bruleigh   February 4, 2024
https://www.wgbh.org/tv-shows/drama/2024-02-04/miss-scarlet-the-duke-season-4-episode-5-recap-call-me-maybe 

‘Miss Scarlet and the Duke” 4×05 Review: “The Calling”
RACHEL    Feb 5, 2024
https://fangirlish.com/2024/02/05/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-4x05-review-the-calling/#google_vignette 

• Useful 1
(edited)

The Television Critics Association (TCA) Winter Press Tour is going on right now (Feb 5-15).   PBS' press day is scheduled for Feb. 12.

I'm hoping that PBS will make some announcement about Season 5 of Miss Scarlet and the Duke.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Podcast audio link is in article below (transcript included in article)...

Rachael New & Ben Edwards, Episode 6 Miss Scarlet and The Duke Season 4
Released February 11, 2024
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/podcasts/masterpiece-studio/rachael-new-ben-edwards-episode-6-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-season-4/# 

Jace Lacob: This week I am joined once again by Miss Scarlet and The Duke writers and producers Rachael New and Ben Edwards. Welcome.
Rachael New: I think with Eliza, what’s really beautiful and relatable to lots of people that enjoy the show is, she often never quite gets the thing that she wants, but she keeps going and gets a slightly different triumph. And that’s what we wanted this time. It’s like, yes, it didn’t work out for her, as Ben says, be careful what you wish for, but in the end, she’s back where she belongs, and she’s determined to make a go of it. So, it felt like there was a victory there, but it had some real meaning and depth to it.
Ben Edwards: I think it was and I think we would have thought of that while we were story lining because of what it gives us, because you maintain the integrity of the show. Sometimes as well you just eradicate the things that are going to change the show too much. So, for example, if she’d taken over Nash’s business, and it went brilliantly, and she was hailed as a genius, and then she opens 10 other places, Nash Sons, and then she was suddenly the most successful detective in London, it suddenly becomes a very different show. But at the same time, it’s an optimistic show, you want the sense that she’s making some progress. I can’t remember who thought of it. I’m going to say it was you.
Jace Lacob: It is significant because Eliza has been really reliant on the men in her life for her role as a private investigator, either relying on William’s Scotland Yard connections for cases or being handed the keys to an office and a staff, as you say, by Nash. Is it both terrifying and freeing for Eliza to then be able to position herself as a woman in this role with that front and center over the door?

Ben Edwards: Yeah, I think so. But also, by the end of season four, we can assume that she has a reputation in that industry and therefore she will get some work. Whereas had she done that at the end of the pilot episode, yeah, no one would have come in. But I think that by now she has to have enough confidence about herself that she’s going to be okay. But again, it’s the thing of making things difficult for her while still giving her some kind of victory. We wanted the optimism, but also the realism, that she can’t just keep running someone else’s business.

Rachael New: And that’s when she’s at her best as well, when she’s really up against the wall. And there was something very poignant, I think, in this season about her relationship with Patrick Nash as well, because they do become really firm friends. And she’s really devastated at how things have turned out, not just for the business, but also for him. It just occurred to me, actually, I actually think that that last shot we’ve talked about before, even this season, I think we’ve talked about that over the years as well, for Eliza to eventually have her name over the door.
Ben Edwards: Well, it was an interesting thing because as always, there are a lot of things that we write along the way that we don’t necessarily know we’re going to come back to. So, in the hotel episode, when we were writing that, what we wanted out of that scene was, there’s more to Nash than meets the eye. That yes, he could be a liar but also in that moment there’s something vulnerable about him and you see a different side to him because we wanted to progress Eliza and Nash’s friendship. And we were always determined that they would be friends, that he’d be a part of her life, but it would never be a romance because weirdly, even though he’s a liar and a rogue and all of those things, he’s always there for her and he’s helped her almost more than anybody.
Rachael New: Yeah, I think we don’t see that enough in dramas, platonic friendships. I think they’re really special. I’ve got some really special platonic friendships as has Ben. And it was really important that, you know, it’s not always about love with her. She can have this friendship with this man, and it is just a friendship. He respects her, he admires her. It’s always been about that really. And he doesn’t want to let her down, and he feels terrible at the end of this season that he has let her down and he has let her down. But by that point they have bonded, and she obviously forgives him. But it’s just more of an interesting dynamic, I think, to explore.

ETA: Video of above interview:
MASTERPIECE Studio Podcast | Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 4: Rachael New & Ben Edwards
Masterpiece PBS   Feb 12, 2024

Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 4 | Victorian Headlines: True or False?
Masterpiece PBS   Feb 9, 2024

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4 Ends By Ignoring Its Most Crucial Plot
BY LACY BAUGHER    FEBRUARY 11TH, 2024
https://tellyvisions.org/article/miss-scarlet-duke-season-4-episode-6-finale-recap-fugitive 

'Miss Scarlet and the Duke' Recap: Season 4 Episode 6
Daniel Hautzinger   FEBRUARY 11, 2024
https://interactive.wttw.com/playlist/2024/02/11/miss-scarlet-and-duke-recap-season-4-episode-6

'Miss Scarlet & The Duke' Season 4 Episode 6 Recap: where do we go from here?
By Jackie Bruleigh   February 11, 2024
https://www.wgbh.org/tv-shows/drama/2024-02-11/miss-scarlet-the-duke-season-4-episode-6-recap-where-do-we-go-from-here 

‘Miss Scarlet and the Duke’ 4×06 Review: “The Fugitive”
RACHEL    FEB 12, 2024
https://fangirlish.com/2024/02/12/miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-4x06-review-the-fugitive/ 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Ghosts, Fire Country, Young Sheldon, Halo, Chicago Med, All American, Resident Alien, Will Trent and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   FEBRUARY 15, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/young-sheldon-series-finale-spoilers-final-season/will-trent-season-2-amanda/ 

Has All Creatures Great & Small been renewed for a fifth season? –Shanna
Has Miss Scarlet & The Duke been renewed for Season 5? –Bridget

The status of these two shows came up at the TCA winter press tour this week, and MASTERPIECE exec producer Susanne Simpson said to expect news on both “soon.” (After which, she relayed this bad news.)

(FYI, the bad news has to do with another show.)

Recently posted at PBS website...

Behind the Scenes Slideshow: Miss Scarlet and The Duke, Season 4
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/behind-the-scenes-slideshow-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-season-4/ 

The cast of Miss Scarlet and The Duke may be perfect professionals when the cameras are rolling, but that doesn’t mean it’s all work and no play on set! Check out some fun behind-the-scenes images from the filming of Season 4 and get a glimpse at Kate Phillips, Stuart Martin, Felix Scott and many more.

Who Said It Quiz: Miss Scarlet and The Duke Edition
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/who-said-it-quiz-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-edition/ 

Miss Scarlet and The Duke fans, we’re putting your fan knowledge to the ultimate test! How well do you really remember who said what throughout the years? From all the witty banter, quick quips, to the stubborn declarations from Eliza, William, Nash, and more, see if you can identify the speaker of each quote.

ETA: I only got 6 out of 10 correct in the above quiz.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Yes I saw the announcement.  There will be a season 5 and the Duke will not return and the show will be called Miss Scarlett.  I'm all for it.  Let it be a mystery show and stop this nonsense about the romance that was never going to happen. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Well, that's it for me.  I'm out.

I think I am, too. I have all six episodes from this season on my DVR and I haven't watched it yet. I just haven't cared that much, since I know from hanging out here that Stuart Martin hasn't been in several of the episodes. He's always been the reason I watched the show, since Eliza annoys the heck out of me and has since day one. She's always reminded me of a Victorian Stephanie Plum; she never seems to learn or grow from her mistakes. JMHO, of course—other viewers, I'm sure, have a much different take on it.

Edited by kirinan
  • Like 5

While I'll miss the Duke, I'm cool with Miss Scarlett without him. She'll do just fine. Too bad she can't switch to Ms. in her era! You know she would.😉

• Like 8
  • LOL 2