Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Chapter Ninety-Five

When Lina comes to town, Jane is excited to see her until Lina asks her for a favor. Rafael begins to work with Petra again but old tensions create new problems between them. Rogelio creates a plan to pressure the network to pick up his pilot. Meanwhile, Jane and Rafael have been looking for a solution to one of their problems and think Alba  just might be the answer.

Promo:

Original air date: 6/26/19

(edited)

Darn those writers, toying with my emotions like that.  LOL’d at the sequel is never as good as the original. Ha! 

I like the idea of Alba being the officiant, but Jane was pretty rude about the Unitarians. 

Hope Petra will be okay! 

Edited by cardigirl

As the audience, we know that Rafael loves Jane and really wants to marry her, but all the minister knows about Rafael is that they rescheduled their first appointment at the last minute and when the second appointment came around, Rafael didn't show up AND he hadn't filled out his questionnaire. Ministers take their jobs seriously and that means making sure that the couple they marry are committed and compatible, so I understand why Raf's lack of availability seemed to be an issue based on the very small amount of information he had.

I can't believe that everyone put up with Rogelio's constant livestreaming for so long. If he wants to be live, that's one thing but it's really inconsiderate to expect everyone in your family to be okay with being broadcast every second that they're at home. I thought that his livestreaming was going to cause friction when personal/private conversations were made public (like Lina finding out that Rafael, Xo, and Alba were all against Jane donating her eggs or someone else in the hotel business finding out about Petra's meeting with Ludo and then convincing him to do the same thing elsewhere). Instead it somehow ended up being a boon so that everyone saw his medical issue.

I know tv shows compress timelines and this is the last season so they're cramming stuff in to give everyone an end to their story, but Xo was just thinking about nursing school in the last episode and she already got accepted in this episode? So in the timespan of a week, she took the GRE/TEAS/HOBET/HESI, gathered letters of recommendation, submitted her application, had her application reviewed, and was accepted? Okay then.

Lina asking for Jane's eggs was a pretty big deal so I understand that anyone would have questions but that Jane would have even more questions. I don't think any of the Jane's questions were out of left field either. She should get to know what will happen to the extra eggs, if/when they will tell the baby that Jane is her biological mother, etc.

Oh, Magda. My only hope is that Magda somehow was killed in the car crash and Petra is fine (see also: Jim Halpert demonstrating Dwight K. Schrute's theory that driver always protects their side of the car in the event of an accident).

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know tv shows compress timelines and this is the last season so they're cramming stuff in to give everyone an end to their story, but Xo was just thinking about nursing school in the last episode and she already got accepted in this episode? So in the timespan of a week, she took the GRE/TEAS/HOBET/HESI, gathered letters of recommendation, submitted her application, had her application reviewed, and was accepted? Okay then.

I'm wondering what kind of "nursing school" she applied to. Xo didn't go to college, right? So, is she applying to college to study for a BSN? I sort of assumed she was applying to a LPN program, which seems much more within reach. Your point about the timeline still stands regardless, as I'm sure no such programs have a rolling and speedy admissions process.

• Love 2

There is a very good LPN program at the local community college and I have a good friend who got in sort of like Xo here.  She just happened to have decided on this career change, applied right in the right moment.  From "I have this idea" to "OMG, I got accepted" was 10 days.   That isn't usual and she now talks about how crazy lucky she was when people tell her their application stories but XO could be on that same lucky trajectory and I assume she's going for an LVN and not something more, yet.    

Although LVN positions are getting more rare as people are wanting RNs or higher and all the LVNs I know are scrambling to get their BSN in the two years they have been given by their employers to receive this degree or find another job.   

I like seeing XO excited about something.   

I'm not sure about Petra bringing Raf back in at the Mirbella after she worked so hard to get control (and really, I still don't get how her assistant didn't take some/most of those shares for herself) but...

Jorge still seems out of place to me at family events.  I just don't feel like I needed that for Alba but if Alba had to be remarried to have a complete arch (and I don't think she did) I wish it was somebody I liked or who had a personality.

• Love 2
(edited)

Does the scene with Rafael being clumsy (in general and with the car keys in particular) seem weird foreshadowing for anyone?

I thought the entire sequence in the rain felt kind of... out of place this episode. I mean, the whole episode was essentially a filler, with random Lina asking for Jane eggs issue, Jane's ugly wedding dress, Ro having not-really-a-heart-attack and Raf and Petra butting heads (after Raf also randomly agreeing to work at Marbella again), and also Raf randomly deciding he didn't want any more kids (for the LLN saying, nah, one of them will change their mind, 10 seconds later), and then Magda in Petra's car. I felt it was all really messily done.

And BTW, Petra's self-made entrepreneur the year needs work. She married a man for his money, and just took away the shares of the hotel that was supposed to Raf's and Luisa's from her another husband by lying to him. Plus, she wanted Raf's connection to the chef, suggested Raf work with her, and then had a hissing fit about "her" hotel she "worked" so hard for? Like, please.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 5

11 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Does the scene with Rafael being clumsy (in general and with the car keys in particular) seem weird foreshadowing for anyone?

There was a lot of foreshadowing, possibly, in this episode. 

• Love 2

I remember two things that I liked! First Rafael squeezing Jane until she says she can't breath and later Jane squeezing Mateo until he says he can't breath. And of course, this was very beautiful:

tumblr_ptqrnecbTH1xeef9ao2_540.gif

tumblr_ptqrnecbTH1xeef9ao3_540.gif

Link

• Love 5
5 hours ago, bybrandy said:

(and really, I still don't get how her assistant didn't take some/most of those shares for herself) but...

I'm not so sure she didn't. I expect some twist where her assistant reveals she owns the Marbella since she never actually transferred the shares to Petra.

Lots of set-ups in this episode. I'm speculating on a lot of things at this point, so I'll head over there.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I'm not so sure she didn't. I expect some twist where her assistant reveals she owns the Marbella since she never actually transferred the shares to Petra.

Lots of set-ups in this episode. I'm speculating on a lot of things at this point, so I'll head over there.

Ms Lark, I am anxiously awaiting your speculations! 

Re: the assistant not keeping the shares. I don't see what is unrealistic about this. Some people (maybe most people) just want to go to work, get paid, and go home. I'd much rather be making double (triple? more?) my salary with awesome bonuses and other perks and NOT have the responsibility of running the hotel. 

• Love 1

I cant really blame the minister for being unsure about Rafael, considering he missed their appointments twice and didnt even do their survey. Jane and Raf were kind of dicks to him, but I got pretty used to Jane and Raf being dicks during the Michael arc, so I cant say I was shocked. 

Nice seeing Lina again, even with the complicated baby question. Its a nice idea, but its probably for the best that Jane does not give an egg, it will just be be complicated. 

Awww flashbacks to Early Jane and Rogelio! I too sometimes forget that Rogelio hasn't always been in Janes life until they specifically mention it, so it was nice to have a minute where they showed how far they've come. 

Its great that Xo actually has a real career goal she is excited about, but the time compression here makes it seems like she just decided on being a nurse yesterday and got into school today.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Jane and Raf were kind of dicks to him

He was boundaries-breaking dick to them first, let's not pretend otherwise. I don't think future newlyweds (in case of Jane and Raf, they're in their thirties and have children) are supposed to feel like they're naughty children stuck in a principal's office after one meeting that went wrong because someone has missed the appointment.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CooperTV said:

He was boundaries-breaking dick to them first, let's not pretend otherwise. I don't think future newlyweds (in case of Jane and Raf, they're in their thirties and have children) are supposed to feel like they're naughty children stuck in a principal's office after one meeting that went wrong because someone has missed the appointment.

Really?  People ask to get married by officiants of churches they don't attend, and have no intention of attending, all the time.  I think officiants have the right to set some standards for marriage. I thought Jane was incredibly rude to him.  

She chose him because she thought he wouldn't care that they didn't care about some of the precedents of marriage and when he asked her to think about Raf's commitment, based on the information he was given, she could have politely replied, I'll think about what you said, and then left.  She didn't have to say "you can't even commit to a religion'" because apparently Jane can't either. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

I think officiants have the right to set some standards for marriage

The only people who set standards for any marriage are actually people who get married (and also the family law), not anyone else. I don't think a person who met one part of a couple like, once, can voice their opinion. They certainly can have an opinion and even voice it as well but results could be rather mixed (as happened with Jane).

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

She didn't have to say "you can't even commit to a religion'" because apparently Jane can't either. 

She's going to marry an atheist. I mean, she went to the judgy priest only because of Rafael and because he was the "minister who respects all beliefs", otherwise she couldn't care less. Apparently, the minister cares about all beliefs but not people and their priorities in life. But Jane's first priority is her family with Raf, not a stranger and his opinions. As it was said in the script, it's just a personality thing.

Edited by CooperTV
(edited)
29 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

The only people who set standards for any marriage are actually people who get married (and also the family law), not anyone else. I don't think a person who met one part of a couple like, once, can voice their opinion. They certainly can have an opinion and even voice it as well but results could be rather mixed (as happened with Jane).

She's going to marry an atheist. I mean, she went to the judgy priest only because of Rafael and because he was the "minister who respects all beliefs", otherwise she couldn't care less. Apparently, the minister cares about all beliefs but not people and their priorities in life. But Jane's first priority is her family with Raf, not a stranger and his opinions. As it was said in the script, it's just a personality thing.

Well, I guess I saw a different show than you. If you ask a minister of a church to marry you, he or she is going to abide by the tenets of his/her church’s beliefs. Jane was concerned about having to push the appointment once and then about showing up without Rafael (with no notice) for the second scheduled appointment because she kind of suspected what the response might be.

Why bother with a minister at all then? For her abuela? Her abuela would not appreciate a Unitarian anyway. 

Imagine if a Unitarian had spoken to a Catholic priest that way?

i love it when people expect to ignore the rules just because . . . 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 2

If Petra is self made then so is Trump. 😆 Petra only got a piece of the Marbella through Milos. Yes, Rafael used his trust fund to build the Marbella but it wasn’t given to him. He worked hard and was obsessed with that damn hotel. It was his vision. Petra gets no piece of original recipe Marbella without her crazy ex giving her shares in S1. She married Rafael for his money. Krishna didn’t have to give her those shares and most people would have not given their rich shitty boss those shares. Yes, this version of the Marbella is her baby but she (really the writers) were on some bullshit with the “rich daddy” line. 

• Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

Yes, this version of the Marbella is her baby but she (really the writers) were on some bullshit with the “rich daddy” line. 

Plus, Petra wanted to work with Rafael, not the other way around. And five minutes later after begging for him to introduce her to his friend the chef she started yelling about "rich daddy" and how she doesn't need him. I mean, Raf has other job, Petra. You need him more, right?

Yet Rafael is the one apologizing in the end for Petra's hypocrisy.

4 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Well, I guess I saw a different show than you. If you ask a minister of a church to marry you, he or she is going to abide by the tenets of his/her church’s beliefs.

I want to explain what I saw in the show. That situation was created specifically to showcase that Jane doesn't have any doubts in Raf's commitment (compared to season 1 when she was neurotic about that), that she knows Raf loves her and their family and is never going away. Jane is also allowed in the show to express this via telling the minister he has no right to voice his opinions on any intimate matters of hers and that Raf can have his own dreams. And Raf, who Jane trusts completely, makes it up to her for his involuntary absence because he now works two jobs.

4 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Why bother with a minister at all then? For her abuela? Her abuela would not appreciate a Unitarian anyway.  

Also in the show that was stated that Jane chose the minister because he respects all beliefs, and since Jane's future husband is an atheist, Jane specifically states why she decided to go to this person.

Jane: I know the Catholic wedding ceremony isn't your thing. So I did a little research, and I found a Unitarian minister who respects all beliefs and comes highly recommended.

Rafael: Mm, that sounds really nice.

Note also, that it was Rafael who suggested Alba to marry them. Alba apparently is totally fine with that and cries happy tears.

Imagine if a Unitarian had spoken to a Catholic priest that way? 

i love it when people expect to ignore the rules just because . . .  

Well, one, Jane is not an Unitarian, second, Rafael is an atheist, third, they wanted to marry in a court house last week. I'm pretty sure they're able to choose whoever the hell they want for their wedding for a fair price without unwelcome one-sided couples counseling. In the end it's all about the money, because I doubt the guy marries people out of pure kindness of his heart.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 3

I wouldn't say Rafael is an atheist, he just doesn't adhere to organized religion. Atheists don't believe a higher power even exists, where for Rafael that's more of a gray area. At least that's the impression I've gotten throughout the series. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, CooperTV said:
2 hours ago, CooperTV said:

Well, one, Jane is not an Unitarian, second, Rafael is an atheist, third, they wanted to marry in a court house last week. I'm pretty sure they're able to choose whoever the hell they want for their wedding for a fair price without unwelcome one-sided couples counseling. In the end it's all about the money, because I doubt the guy marries people out of pure kindness of his heart.

Yes, all ministers are all about the money. 

Actually, any church you ask to be married in or minister you ask to marry you will expect to do some marriage counseling before the ceremony.

And he wasn’t questioning anyone’s beliefs just Rafael’s commitment based on the evidence before him. 

I still think Jane overreacted to a reasonable question, when all she had to do was say oh, no thank you.

If, in fact she IS  so certain about Rafael she wouldn’t have needed to react so vehemently, but, I think we’ve bludgeoned this point enough. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 2

When Jane and Rafael at some point talk about the possibility of a priest marrying them, and then dismiss the idea because they would rather not, I kind of wanted to scream. JANE CANNOT GET MARRIED BY A PRIEST AGAIN BECAUSE IN THE EYES OF THE CHURCH SHE WILL BE MARRIED TO MICHAEL UNTIL EITHER OF THEM DIES. This is very basic stuff,  what the fuck? The idea that Alba would want to marry them is also very what the fuck, but oh well, I guess she's changed.

When Xo mentioned Rogelio's heart and he dismissed her, I knew he would have a heart problem later. I'm glad it was a small thing and just in this episode, instead of DRAMA. And Xo looks GREAT with glasses! Her little plot this episode is exactly why I could never be a nurse or a doctor, I'd be seeing serious illness everywhere all the time and become a hypochondriac or get health anxiety (which is terrible).

Jane donating her eggs to Lina was a terrible idea that would never work and I'm glad they didn't go there.

Hopefully Petra's ok.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, natyxg said:

When Jane and Rafael at some point talk about the possibility of a priest marrying them, and then dismiss the idea because they would rather not, I kind of wanted to scream. JANE CANNOT GET MARRIED BY A PRIEST AGAIN BECAUSE IN THE EYES OF THE CHURCH SHE WILL BE MARRIED TO MICHAEL UNTIL EITHER OF THEM DIES. This is very basic stuff,  what the fuck? The idea that Alba would want to marry them is also very what the fuck, but oh well, I guess she's changed.

When Xo mentioned Rogelio's heart and he dismissed her, I knew he would have a heart problem later. I'm glad it was a small thing and just in this episode, instead of DRAMA. And Xo looks GREAT with glasses! Her little plot this episode is exactly why I could never be a nurse or a doctor, I'd be seeing serious illness everywhere all the time and become a hypochondriac or get health anxiety (which is terrible).

Jane donating her eggs to Lina was a terrible idea that would never work and I'm glad they didn't go there.

Hopefully Petra's ok.

Alba has been pro Rafael since S1.  She’s captain of team Rafael.  Nobody is more perfect than her. Yes, Alba has changed. She was even fine with Jane getting a divorce in S5A.  Jane married her parents and Alba didn’t protest. Alba let Jane marry her and Jorge just so he could stay in the country. Why would Alba not want to marry Jane and Rafael? The one who’s her favorite in the love triangle. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, natyxg said:

This is very basic stuff,  what the fuck? The idea that Alba would want to marry them is also very what the fuck, but oh well, I guess she's changed.

Alba was perfectly okay with Jane marrying both her with Jorge and Xo with Ro. Jane and Rafael aren't going to be married in church, they're gonna get married by having a marriage license that recognized by state and federal laws, and Raf doesn't care about religion. The fact that Alba cares more about her granddaughter's happiness and about Rafael than about being married in church is indisputable.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

Alba has been pro Rafael since S1.  She’s captain of team Rafael.  Nobody is more perfect than her. Yes, Alba has changed. She was even fine with Jane getting a divorce in S5A.  Jane married her parents and Alba didn’t protest. Alba let Jane marry her and Jorge just so he could stay in the country. Why would Alba not want to marry Jane and Rafael? The one who’s her favorite in the love triangle. 

Alba did get married by a priest in her church before she and Jorge could be fully married, so she still believes, at least for herself, in the sacrament. The marriage Jane performed was a civil ceremony.  

2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Alba did get married by a priest in her church before she and Jorge could be fully married, so she still believes, at least for herself, in the sacrament. The marriage Jane performed was a civil ceremony.  

But she still did it. Married Jorge to keep him in the country. Something she would have never done back in S1. And I mentioned Jane marrying two couples. Neither one took place in a church but it was still legal. Alba loves Jafael. She’s the perfect person and Jane & Rafael are getting married outdoors. 

• Love 1

I'm so tired of Petra's mother keeps showing up. I feel like her story ended many seasons ago so just get rid off her. I think they just bring her back when they don't have fresh idea for some new drama in Petra's life. But it's sooo boring and the character is so repulsive. I hope it won't last long. 

I like that Rafael is back in the hotel buisness but I don't like that Petra is the owner and the boss. I feel like it was quite random for her to own the hotel. But Rafael didn't do anything to get it back after he decided to start a new job and it was Petra who get rid of Milos and others soo I'm little bit torn. I like Petra so let's see where this is going. 😉

• Love 3

I knew as soon as they showed Petra in the car with it raining that she would get in an accident. Having Magda return is really tired, even for a show that makes fun of soap opera tropes. This trope is DONE.

Jane's response to the Unitarian minister should have been "I can see how you might think that, but it's okay, I'm confident of his commitment."

(BTW, about the money -- I grew up in the Methodist Church. Ministers were not paid extra at all for weddings. The bridal couple had to pay some church fees -- for electricity, cleaning, etc. -- and it was customary to give the minister an honorarium (in my sister's case, that was $50) but not required.)

I don't understand why Petra's assistant didn't/couldn't keep some shares for herself as a reward for helping Petra. Owning shares does not mean that she has to help run the hotel -- it's just like owning shares in any corporation. (Here the majority shareholders also run the hotel, but they could instead hire people to do that.)