Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The End of the World

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that this topic is to discuss the episode; posts with mentions of the book or unspoiler tagged book references will be removed and repeat offenses may result in additional sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

On 6/27/2019 at 4:31 PM, Umbelina said:

Many were double my weight and towered over me, but I could easily take them down in sparring, 

That class sounds literally kick-ass; but keep in mind that you were not in any legitimate danger. Your sparring sessions were being moderated and to some extent you knew or were familiar with your opponent. Your fight/flight/freeze response did not kick in. How we react during stressful/traumatic situations is often polar opposite to how we handle situations under normal/safe circumstances.

I say this because Bonnie's reaction, especially that primal "Nooooooo!" as she was running implies she was triggered. There were three other women there struggling with Perry and not one of them managed to lose their balance and tumble down the stairs.Bonnie snapped. That's the problem. That's what could make what she did look like she wanted to kill Perry, not protect Celeste.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, sashayshante said:

That class sounds literally kick-ass; but keep in mind that you were not in any legitimate danger. Your sparring sessions were being moderated and to some extent you knew or were familiar with your opponent. Your fight/flight/freeze response did not kick in. How we react during stressful/traumatic situations is often polar opposite to how we handle situations under normal/safe circumstances.

I say this because Bonnie's reaction, especially that primal "Nooooooo!" as she was running implies she was triggered. There were three other women there struggling with Perry and not one of them managed to lose their balance and tumble down the stairs.Bonnie snapped. That's the problem. That's what could make what she did look like she wanted to kill Perry, not protect Celeste.

Kinda sorta.

I got seriously hurt in that class by a football player (blew out my knee, in a cast for months.)  Instead of "guiding me down" from a throw (as we are supposed to do in practice) he slammed me from a height of about 8 feet, and since I was new, and wasn't expecting it?  Landed wrong.

He actually hurt me a few times, another times with bad toenails and a bad technique in a side swipe.  I did get him back eventually though, in a free spar, sent him spinning into a wall 70 feet away.  I still have that ghi of mine, covered in blood.

I still don't see Bonnie as wanting to do anything but push someone off a woman he was obviously trying to murder.  Physically?  Totally possible, his height was actually a disadvantage in that move, and he was probably on one foot since he was using the other one to rapidly and viciously kick Celeste over and over again.

Had they told the truth?  The DA probably would have dropped it, or at most, plea bargained it down to community service.

This is a show about "Big Little Lies" though, so of course they lied.  😉

• Love 2
On 6/23/2019 at 9:58 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Well that was 44 minutes of filler. Definitely not as explosive an episode as last week.

Call me a sociopath, but I'm getting a little tired of everyone still feeling so guilty over Perry. It's been nearly a year on the show, and Bonnie is still mid-breakdown, Celeste is still weepy over the guy who nearly killed her, everyone is hysterical about The Secret™. I'm sorry to say it, but get over it already.

Everyone was just annoying this episode. Renata needs a bucket of Valium. Madeleine is not a victim of mean Ed and I'm irked that his totally legitimate pain and fury is being brushed off by the other characters. Jane's weird boyfriend needs to join Tom wherever he is. Even the therapist needed to slow her roll.

I’m loving Adam Scott’s quick comebacks to Maddie, her girlfriends and Maddie’s ex.

• Love 6
On 6/23/2019 at 9:08 PM, sashayshante said:

Does Monterey only have one therapist? Isn't having two friends as patients a conflict if interest for the therapist?

What's the over under that Weird Guy Corey is related to Perry? He was awfully eager to meet Ziggy.

Madeline is so far up her own ass it's a wonder she can breathe, She even made Celeste's abuse about her.

Hate to say it, but it's looking that this entire season was written just to have Meryl Streep join the cast.

Speaking of Meryl Streep.  A great actress who made lots of movies.  I’m wondering,did she need this show, or did the show need her?

On 6/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, scrb said:

Mary Louise is the mother in law from hell -- no not necessary redundant.  She won't hear anything that paints Perry as the POS that he was.  Jane told her bluntly that he raped her, held her down as she screamed at him to stop and Celeste said the Vicodin was for the pain 

Did Mary Louise come on her own to help Celeste or did Celeste invite her to come ?   Now she is being Mary Louise Columbo, snooping and investigating everyone on her own.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Gem 10 said:

Did Mary Louise come on her own to help Celeste or did Celeste invite her to come ?   Now she is being Mary Louise Columbo, snooping and investigating everyone on her own.

Maybe she came for the funeral, and just stayed on or came back to get to the bottom of his death?

Honestly, I would probably do that too if it were child.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Maybe she came for the funeral, and just stayed on or came back to get to the bottom of his death?

Honestly, I would probably do that too if it were child.

I would too, definitely.  BTW, was it just mentioned this season that Perry was in Vietnam ?  Maybe that’s where the anger issues and beating Celeste comes in?  I don’t remember it revealed before.

21 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

him to stop and Celeste said the Vicodin was for the pain 

Celeste has a shitload of drugs.  Vicodin for pain after a beating?  Not in my state you don’t.  She must be screwing the doctor.

Speaking of screwing, Celeste must have had quite a sex life with Perry as she endured the beatings for a long time and is still thinking of him in that capacity.  I know I’m being crass, but that scene of her on the bed .. by herself thinking about him ... says it all.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

I would too, definitely.  BTW, was it just mentioned this season that Perry was in Vietnam ?  Maybe that’s where the anger issues and beating Celeste comes in?  I don’t remember it revealed before.

If these people are supposed to be late 30's/early 40's, Perry wouldn't even have been born during Vietnam.  I'm 51 and was a baby/child during the last years of the war.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Celeste has a shitload of drugs.

She's very wealthy...need I write more?

Vicodin for pain after a beating?

That was merely the excuse she gave to the meddling mother-in-law.

Not in my state you don’t.  She must be screwing the doctor.

She's very wealthy.  She can have many doctors for many complaints.  She can also doctor-shop.  I think she does have a problem with prescription drugs, but she shouldn't admit ANYTHING to the MIL.

21 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Speaking of Meryl Streep.  A great actress who made lots of movies.  I’m wondering,did she need this show, or did the show need her?

I think it's a "lark" for the major players.  No one needed this job and they probably lost out on more lucrative/impressive jobs because they signed for a second season.  Some do it for love...for the product, the work, and/or each other.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, izabella said:

If these people are supposed to be late 30's/early 40's, Perry wouldn't even have been born during Vietnam.  I'm 51 and was a baby/child during the last years of the war.

You are right.  I have to watch the episode again to see who said what about Perry being in the service.  Unless I’m losing my mind.  I’m really taking a beating tonite.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

I must have missed this...what was said, when, and by whom?

12 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Speaking of screwing, Celeste must have had quite a sex life with Perry as she endured the beatings for a long time and is still thinking of him in that capacity.  I know I’m being crass, but that scene of her on the bed .. by herself thinking about him ... says it all.

Being very blunt, Celeste really is very, very screwed up.  Not only did he beat the crap out of her on a routine basis, and tried to kill her when she started asserting herself, but he also cheated on her (at least that's how they're presenting it this season...and what are the odds that he only did it once).  And yet just the sight of him causes her to, well, we all saw it.  Plus it doesn't appear she is getting any help for her desperately-in-need-of-counseling sons, judging from how she answered that person's question about if they are still going (sorry, can't remember who asked her).

• Love 3

The highlight of this episode was Renata freaking out in the hospital ER and demanding her seven year old daughter be transferred to Stanford because, "It's you know...Stanford!"

Chill, lady. Your daughter had a panic attic. She's not in a coma, as you've been telling all your friends.

Laura Dern cracks me up sometimes but I'm afraid there is no more nuanced writing and directing like there was in season one. I'm finding this season two to be quite a blight on the show which was always intended to be a limited run series, but at least it can amuse me at times. I'm just tuning in for the fine actors' performances now.

• Love 1

For those thinking the women should just confess, because it was an accident, after all, that is difficult since they first lied. The cops would wonder why their first instinct was to lie.

I'm finding this season very enjoyable. More than a second season, it's like a sequel to the first season, showing us the aftermath of the first season's lies. (Big lesson: Never lie!)

Celeste seems to me to want to remember the good Perry because otherwise she has to admit to herself that she made a really big mistake in marrying him/staying with him.

For those who don't understand what Renata's husband did, he shorted stocks, meaning he bet on stock prices dropping, with inside information that whatever the company was doing (I missed what it was doing) was failing.

Mary Louise's narcissism on Perry's behalf. How can anyone sit at a table and talk about her sweet, gentle son, and imagine that shit is going to earn her a pass into the life of the grandson that was gotten by rape?

That was something else. Jane deserves a medal for not slapping ML into the next week.

• Love 1
On 6/23/2019 at 9:58 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Even the therapist needed to slow her roll.

I thought the therapist was really bitchy this episode! And since when did Madeline and Ed start going to her?

On 6/23/2019 at 9:58 PM, Penman61 said:

Is it my imagination or have they turned Renata into a non-stop raving idiot?

I mean, she always idled at 11, but IIRC her outbursts were always targeted (and funny). This episode she was just full-throttle stupid and shallow angry.

I agree, I think the writing in this episode is off. 

On 6/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, mojoween said:

Also, am I crazy, or is teaching second graders that Charlotte’s Web is about sustainability insane?  Also also, Teach, why didn’t you notice that Amabella was missing before she fainted in the closet?

That sustainability thing with second-graders was unrealistic and preachy and over-the-top PC. And I'm an environmentalist! Isn't there someone in the room when they're writing these episodes with a believability meter?

Yeah I don't get the fainting in the closet thing. 

This episode irked me on a number of levels.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

There is no reason Jane should ever be even 1% mildly friendly towards Mary-Louise after the sick shit Mary-Louise said to her, absolutely zero reason and if Jane spends any time with her Jane needs serious help.  Plot contrivance.

I found that photo-sharing scene creepy and non-believable.