Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Lethal injection and Midazolam

• Start Topic

"Sexual Harassment Dundee." LOL.

Seriously, though, once again, world, I don't care whether they have a serious shot at winning elections or not, stop trying to make your own versions of Trump. We don't need any more!

(Alongside all the other boneheaded reasons for why that Titanic II is a bad idea, and setting aside the point about Jack/Rose and Romeo/Juliet being, y'know, fictional, if you're trying to inspire people, maybe don't reference couples whose relationships were doomed and ended tragically?)

As for the chicken thing with Barr, all I have to say to that is, can we get some adults back in Washington again? Please? 

The main segment tonight, though. YES. Oliver so perfectly summed up at the end the exact thought I'd been having the whole show. I'm against the death penalty, too, for all the reasons he noted (the fact that the government can be so inept at this is just further proof-I'm uncomfortable with the government getting to control who lives and dies as it is, the incompetence is just further proof of why), but yes, trying to make the death penalty "pleasant" should be a sign your conscience is trying to tell you something about the concept as a whole. 

And that Jesus argument. Setting aside the total WTF-ness of it all, you just gotta love so-called Christians being all about death and violence. WWJD, indeed. 

On a happy note, that little frog's squeak sounds very similar to the way one of my cats meows :D. That is adorable. I also was amused by those lawyers in that ad holding hammers next to the list of things they help people with, considering one of the things on that list is "brain damage" :p. 

• Love 5
(edited)

The lawyer ads in Spanish/English was freaking hysterical. My mom who is Spanish tells me that's not how they speak. They are talking like they have phlegm in their throats. I burst out laughing even more.

And that KFC chicken looked stale to begin with. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

On a happy note, that little frog's squeak sounds very similar to the way one of my cats meows :D. That is adorable. 

My cats sat up and stared at the tv when they heard those squeaks. I wonder what it said in cat language. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

My cats sat up and stared at the tv when they heard those squeaks. I wonder what it said in cat language. 

My cats weren't in the room when I first played it, so I brought them in and they are both fascinated!  Rewound a couple of times and they're still watching.  

For some reason, my DVR recorded Barry, followed by Veep, followed by LWT, all on one long recording.  

John's first point in the lethal injection cocktail, anesthetic, is technically inaccurate.  They get a hypnotic or a sedative to relax them.  Anesthetics reduce pain but in no way would prepare someone for getting a paralytic, and none of the drugs he cited are anesthetics.

Before the widespread use of fentanyl and propofol, we frequently used hypnotics, sedatives, and/or anxiolytics (often including midazolam/Versed, Ativan, or Valium), plus paralytics on intensive care patients when we needed them to be completely out of it and still as death.  Of course, they were on a ventilator to breathe.  We tested their response using a device called Train of Four to be sure they were sedated and not just paralyzed.  And yes, a paralytic used on someone who's not totally zonked by the hypnotic or sedative is terrifying, and would constitute malpractice.  Except, of course, executioners aren't licensed and aren't held to any medical standards.

If you're against the death penalty, then all forms of the death penalty, no matter how they are determined and carried out, will seem horrific to you.

• Love 3

While he was on the subject of australia. I was hoping he would have mentioned how they are lethally poisoning stray/feral cats by the hundreds. What a disgusting shit hole of a place. 

• Love 1

If you're against the death penalty, then all forms of the death penalty, no matter how they are determined and carried out, will seem horrific to you.

Conversely, if you are in favor of the death penalty, you really don't give a damn how much a criminal suffers during execution because you figure they deserve it. I know that's more or less implied, but perhaps John could have spoken more directly to that. 

• Love 4

Is Ollie and LWT in a bit of a rut? Last night's main subject was about lethal injection, which they did at the beginning of their first season. A couple of weeks ago, they covered the opioid epidemic, which they've covered frequently, as late as a couple of weeks ago. I'm really starting to get board by the topics he's covering. He'd probably want to cover a whole lot about Brexit, which is not surprising given it is Ollie's home country, but the rest of us are bored with. Maybe covering Drumpf and American politics depresses him in a manner that makes him want to crawl under a rock. Whatever, get back on the ball, Ollie!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 8:31 AM, msrachelj said:

While he was on the subject of australia. I was hoping he would have mentioned how they are lethally poisoning stray/feral cats by the hundreds. What a disgusting shit hole of a place.

Excuse me? I live in Australia, and sure, we have our problems like anywhere else, but calling us a disgusting shithole is a bit much. Feral cats are killed because they are deadly for our native fauna. They are a massive problem and our indigenous animals are fragile and many are on the endangered list.

Edited by purist
  • Love 12

Maybe covering Drumpf and American politics depresses him in a manner that makes him want to crawl under a rock. Whatever, get back on the ball, Ollie!

I think it's more the case that all the other shows cover those things so much he wants to talk about something else. And in fact, he is lauded for bringing attention to issues nobody else is really talking about much. My problem is that, priority-wise, I'm not really that interested in his main stories.  I want to hear his take on current events, that's why I tune into this show, and that's also why I still wish he'd gotten Jon Stewart's job on The Daily Show. Sure, a lot of the topics he covers in him main stories are important, but I just can't bring myself to care about them as much as current events in our country. The show is called Last Week Tonight, after all. I guess I'm wrong somehow to expect him to talk about the last week beyond the "quick recap."

• Love 1