Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: Fingers Guns and a Beef Bourguignon

paulvdb

Christy discovers her new job at a law firm isn't quite what she expected, and Bonnie's therapist, Trevor, pushes her to confront her problem with procrastination.

Airdate: May 2, 2019

I'm never quite sure where Christy is or isn't working anymore. We very rarely see the restaurant. I sort of feel bad for French Stewart if he always happens to be available whenever the writers remember the restaurant still exists. Does Cloud-ia still manage it? And I'd almost forgotten about the paid position she was offered by her professor. Thank goodness for those "previouslys" they do at the beginning of the episodes. 

The bits with Bonnie and her therapist were pretty funny, I have to admit. He's going to need therapy himself by the time he's done seeing her. And they actually got me at the end with the fake-out for just a second there. 

• Love 6

The job at the law firm is supposed to be paid. I'm surprised she's still working at the restaurant, also.

I like that Bonnie in therapy is being shown to be annoying. In real life, sometimes people are annoying, but on TV we're usually supposed to instantly forgive anyone who goes to therapy, and no longer be annoyed by them.

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Does Cloud-ia still manage it?

That confrontation seasons ago, where "Cloud-ia" corrects Christy's pronunciation of her name, and Christy says "Call me Christ-y" still makes me laugh whenever I think of it.

• Love 4

I didn't even remember Christy still worked at the restaurant.  This show really does need the previouslys to keep track of all the random threads out there.

The extreme procrastination where you'll invent ridiculous and sometimes convoluted things to do to avoid the one thing you know you're supposed to be doing was seriously relatable.  Of course Bonnie is picking up therapy terms and trying to use them against other people.  I like that the show is acknowledging she has a serious disorder that has affected her life and the choices she's made but isn't letting her off the hook for still being Bonnie.  She's still driving everyone else around her crazy. 

Not a lawyer, but did Christy seriously think she'd be doing high profile legal eagle stuff right off the bat at what's basically a paid summer internship after one year of law school?  Maybe it's because we're supposed to think she's never had a job that wasn't waitressing or stripping and so wouldn't know that or maybe it's because we've seen her be told over and over that she's the most special to ever special in having good ideas and instincts, but she was really getting ahead of herself in not getting that she'd have to put in her time paying her dues first here.

The fakeout at the end had me for half a second.  Tammy's story about how you're only supposed to tell your own laywer things was a hoot.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The fakeout at the end had me for half a second.  Tammy's story about how you're only supposed to tell your own laywer things was a hoot.

Me too!!!😂😂😂 Rainn Wilson is great as the therapist. 

And as a KJ fan, I'm glad Tammy is finally getting some love. I know the character wasn't well liked when she was introduced but I think she's hysterical.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Not a lawyer, but did Christy seriously think she'd be doing high profile legal eagle stuff right off the bat at what's basically a paid summer internship after one year of law school?  

Being a lawyer is Christy's dream job.   I can see her walking in thinking that it would be like every dream she has ever had about being lawyer only to be hit with the reality of it.  Its not unrealistic actually its the most realistic this show has been in a long time.  

On 5/3/2019 at 8:52 PM, possibilities said:

The job at the law firm is supposed to be paid. I'm surprised she's still working at the restaurant, 

Christy has never been very good with money and how much so an intern actually make anyway?  The waitress job may supplement her income.  

Loved the scene where Bonnie sold Tammy her car.  That was very sweet.  

• Love 8
On 5/3/2019 at 8:52 PM, possibilities said:

That confrontation seasons ago, where "Cloud-ia" corrects Christy's pronunciation of her name, and Christy says "Call me Christ-y" still makes me laugh whenever I think of it.

Me too! 😄 In fact I was just thinking of it the other day, lol.

• Love 5
(edited)

I still think we're gearing up for a very special one-Bonnie episode that lets Allison Janney show off her dramatic chops.

I dislike the law school story line (because every character ever over the age of 40 who goes back to school chooses law; in my opinion, Christy should have gone for social work), but the professor offered her a job because he was impressed by her legal reasoning. While she might have had unrealistic expectations that she'd be involved in high-profile cases, I don't think she was wrong to think she'd be doing more than make copies.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

I had to laugh at the opening scene with Bonnie and Adam and the alarm,  because my husband does the same damn thing - he sets his for 45 minutes ahead and finally gets up after the sixth time it goes off. Luckily for me I generally get up somewhere between the first and last alarm anyway, so it's not too much of an inconvenience, plus if I have to get up earlier I hit snooze twice myself - but I would much rather sleep that extra 20-25 minutes straight than hit the alarm three more times.

• Love 3

This is another episode I'll catch in re-runs/syndication, but I will definitely laugh at that scene when I get to it:  I can't be awakened by the first alarm and just get up; I will doze back off, and need to go through the process several times before I wake up enough to stay awake and actually get up.  So I have to set it for half an hour before I need to get up and hit snooze three times.  It annoys my cat, let alone a person.  (But I hate sharing a bed, so I hardly ever let another human sleep in it with me, making it a non-issue.)

• Love 2

Christy is not in school for the summer, so she works at the law firm during the day, and the restaurant likely on her normal "night job" schedule.  I wouldn't quit that job either, seeing as the law firm internship is just temporary.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Not a lawyer, but did Christy seriously think she'd be doing high profile legal eagle stuff right off the bat at what's basically a paid summer internship after one year of law school?

Funny enough, the inverse of Christy's situation happened to me. I'm a law student and I got a paid job my 1L summer and I assumed I'd just be doing the most idiot-proof of stuff, but I ended up being asked to do a bunch of different stuff and sit in on pretty much every meeting where the client was okay with it. A lot of bigger firms will have clerks who are in charge of copying/filing/etc. I was actually surprised that Christy was doing clerical stuff and not writing memos. 

Also as someone with ADHD, Bonnie's productive procrastination was the most relatable thing to me. My apartment is never cleaner than during finals. 

• Love 1
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, possibilities said:

The job at the law firm is supposed to be paid. I'm surprised she's still working at the restaurant, also.

It's just a temporary job, though, so it didn't surprise me.

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, mammaM said:

Me too!!!😂😂😂 Rainn Wilson is great as the therapist. 

And as a KJ fan, I'm glad Tammy is finally getting some love. I know the character wasn't well liked when she was introduced but I think she's hysterical.

I think they're using her more strategically now, and that's allowed me to appreciate the character.  At first there was just too much Tammy in every episode, but now she is extremely funny in smaller doses.

• Love 3