Type keyword(s) to search

In The Dark - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Dean is such a giant piece of worthless shit, I just can't with him.  I know he's just dug himself a deeper and deeper hole as he's gone along that he no longer has any idea of what's right or wrong, but I hate him.  The way he looks at and treats Murphy like she's the one who killed his best friend disgusts me.  I need him to get his comeuppance by the end of this season.  But on the other hand, I'm sure it's fun for Rich Sommer to play this kind of role since I don't think he usually does.

While I will never stop believing that using a guide dog training facility is a good conduit for money laundering and drug trafficking, I think the writers have done a good job connecting a lot of little things together to keep tension across episodes and throw constant twists at the characters.  I was waiting for at least one of the characters to try to run away since some people would entertain that as their only way out.  I do hope Jess comes back, though.  I expect her to pop back up (of her own volition??) when Murphy and Felix need her most.

I agree that Dean's going to have a hard time using Murphy's drug cane against her.  It must have her prints and DNA all over it, but it has Chloe's, too, and Dean can't prove Murphy was in possession.  And even if he could, he wants to keep Chloe out of it.  She will find out at least partial truths about him, though, eventually.  Maybe not that he killed a young boy, but at least some of his other crimes.

I'm hoping that Dean, unable to submit the cane as evidence, gets tempted to sell the drugs himself after he, for instance, gets one last call from Chloe's school saying she cannot come back until he pays off her tuition balance, so he unloads the drugs in desperation to make a good faith payment.  (Murphy didn't buy "that much," but maybe Dean is running on fumes when it comes to bills.)  But somehow it all bites him in the ass and it turns his mission to bust Nia, Murphy, and associates on its head.  Gene will spearhead that discovery.  In some way or another, Dean's being behind on the tuition is going to be the catalyst for something in the last few episodes.

I can't say I was surprised when Darnell admitted his real relationship with Nia, but since I honestly can't tell how old either of them are supposed to be, I also wouldn't be surprised if that's not actually the truth.  Sam is already suspicious as to why Nia let Darnell off so easily, so I think she's going to poke at that as Nia feels more pressured to pretend it's arms' length handling.  As the conflict grows, we'll find out it's the classic situation of Nia not being his sister, but his mother.  Her mother and his grandmother died young.  Nia pretended to be his sister raising him.  She just can't turn on Darnell, no matter what, and that leads to some real internal fireworks within her gang as the season ends.

• Love 4

Maybe Dean's partner is actually undercover investigating Dean. We saw that the recording of Dean's confession to murder was not admissable in court, but his boss heard it and was furious. Maybe he decided to pretend to let it go, but he knows Dean is bad news, and it's at least possible he's looking for a way to deal with it.

I also think that Ben is going to be a factor. He's happily being paid off right now, but he is not trustworthy and he won't hold off on stealing again, either, I'm certain.

The Guide Dog school without Jess means no medical staff. That is bad for their cover story. I assume she's not gone forever, and I hope Darnell isn't, either. But I really don't see exactly how it all comes together. I like that I can't see it, though.

I want Dean to be caught, but I'm not sure what happens to Chloe at that point. She's too young to be emancipated, and Murphy et al are not really the kind of people who could be accepted as foster parents. Maybe she has relatives, but I don't want her leaving the show, so I hope they're locals. Maybe Murphy's parents can be tapped to take Chloe in?

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if Dean ends up in prison.

43 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I also think that Ben is going to be a factor. He's happily being paid off right now, but he is not trustworthy and he won't hold off on stealing again, either, I'm certain.

Who was the dead body we were seeing in the flash forwards? I thought it was Ben, but that just might've been wishful thinking, heh. Kudos to the actor for making me hate the character.

So, if Jess hadn't saved Nia's life, would this whole drug dealing mess be over for Murphy & friends? 

WRT idiotic things done by characters on the show: 
Now is the time to nominate them for the Primetimers Annual Awards "Idiot Stick: Dumbest Character Moment" category, here: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/109408-idiot-stick-dumbest-character-moment/

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

While I will never stop believing that using a guide dog training facility is a good conduit for money laundering and drug trafficking,

I feel like the show has backed away from that a bit, like the writers finally realized it really didn't make sense, and now Guiding Light is more of an interim stash house than anything else. I'm not mad about this.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I doubt he gets shot dead in the bar for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

• Love 1

The cane thing (and the secured van dilemma) are making me think of this show as a low-rent "Breaking Bad" where the drug dealers are smart and lucky and cops are half corrupt and mostly incompetent. What happened the the blind hot mess who wanted to solve her friend's murder?

• Love 2

I really like Gene - he’s sharp but a goofball which is nice because this show could use a bit of comic relief.  I have a feeling though that he will start to get suspicious of Dean and he’ll wind up dead before he can report him 🙁 because Dean is an asshole who never gets what he derserves

This season started out slow but is getting really good, I’m actually looking forward to finding out what happens next.

13 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I really like Gene - he’s sharp but a goofball which is nice because this show could use a bit of comic relief.  I have a feeling though that he will start to get suspicious of Dean and he’ll wind up dead before he can report him 🙁 because Dean is an asshole who never gets what he derserves

This season started out slow but is getting really good, I’m actually looking forward to finding out what happens next.

Sadly, I have to agree that Gene is the sort of character who probably has a red shirt in his closet. 
(wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(stock_character))

• Love 1

Somehow I'm not feeling season 2 of this show as much. Feels like a wild goose chase. It's tiring. The B plot isn't strong enough for me. I guess because everyone is now caught up in the Nia storyline. In season one, there were more plots to follow. I find myself not caring if I miss an episode.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:54 PM, Kiki777 said:

I like Gene too, but the actor is playing the character exactly the same as his character on Rookie Blue. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Im still on season 1, Dean is such a simp and hes so boring, did people actually like him and want him to be with murphy? im hating that whole "ooh she fell asleep on his couch" plot they have going on rn

On 6/6/2020 at 12:42 AM, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if Dean ends up in prison.

From your lips to...

Who was the dead body we were seeing in the flash forwards? I thought it was Ben, but that just might've been wishful thinking, heh. Kudos to the actor for making me hate the character.

Definitely looked like Ben. Did I miss something, or was there no flash forward to the dead body at the beginning of this episode?

So, if Jess hadn't saved Nia's life, would this whole drug dealing mess be over for Murphy & friends? 

Probably, though I'm not sure what they would do to get rid of the drugs stored at Guiding Light--give them to Darnell to give to Josiah? 

On 6/6/2020 at 6:44 PM, ketose said:

The cane thing (and the secured van dilemma) are making me think of this show as a low-rent "Breaking Bad" where the drug dealers are smart and lucky and cops are half corrupt and mostly incompetent.

Seriously, it's hard to believe that visitors can pass contraband to prisoners so easily. Aren't the guards supposed to be watching for this? It's not like passing something under the table is some new trick that they might not be watching for. And presumably there are also surveillance cameras in the visiting room.

20 hours ago, zabooky said:

Somehow I'm not feeling season 2 of this show as much. Feels like a wild goose chase. It's tiring. The B plot isn't strong enough for me. I guess because everyone is now caught up in the Nia storyline. In season one, there were more plots to follow. I find myself not caring if I miss an episode.

I actually did forget that this episode was on last week, though I remembered later in the evening and we ended up watching it on the CW app the next day. I still am interested in seeing what happens this season but do not want this plot to continue into the next season. However, it probably will continue, and if so I will probably stop watching. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

Definitely looked like Ben. Did I miss something, or was there no flash forward to the dead body at the beginning of this episode?

It's definitely Ben; we saw him at the beginning of at least three episodes. I think we're not getting that flash forward because it's getting very close to the time for whatever happens in the bar.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

WTF??

Murphy and Felix could have gotten out by letting Josh bust Nia. Why would they prefer Josiah to do it?

Did Jess's girlfriend go with her to get out, or is she there as a monitor? That story is too crazy.

Max, don't trust Dean. Even Dean's boss doesn't trust Dean.

Does Dean get a bonus for busting Nia? I was with Chloe on "why do they suddenly not have money?"

• Love 3
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Seriously. Especially now that the charges are dropped and Max can't be put back in jail for them. I suppose Dean could threaten him with other charges, but that's time-consuming, to say the least.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Does Dean get a bonus for busting Nia? I was with Chloe on "why do they suddenly not have money?"

No bonus, though he might get a promotion, which would likely come with a pay raise. I'm pretty sure Nia was paying Dean when he was working for her in season 1. That was probably being used to send Chloe to private school. Now he has to rely only on his police salary.

Did what's-his-face OD at Guiding Hope? So they moved the body to the bar? Why is this plot point so needlessly complicated? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Seriously. Especially now that the charges are dropped and Max can't be put back in jail for them. I suppose Dean could threaten him with other charges, but that's time-consuming, to say the least.

Dean lured Max back into his tangled web by threatening Murphy. 
Would Max have still gone for Dean's scheme if Max knew Murphy has a new flame?

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Dean lured Max back into his tangled web by threatening Murphy. 
Would Max have still gone for Dean's scheme if Max knew Murphy has a new flame?

I think Max would have. I doubt he wants to see Murphy hurt or dead, regardless of romantic status. She was delivering drugs to him to keep him alive, so the least he can do is try to keep her safe.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/9/2020 at 8:23 AM, Paloma said:

Seriously, it's hard to believe that visitors can pass contraband to prisoners so easily.

They can't.  Prisoners are strip-searched after a contact visit.  Do not ask how I know this.

About Jess, in the preview (lying awake and looking shocked/angry) -- does Sterling fess up that she was originally there to spy for Nia?  Jess is going to have to find that out eventually; better it should come from Sterling herself but I don't know how she can do it now & hope for forgiveness.  She should've told Jess before their run.

ETA:  I was pretty annoyed that Murphy slept with Josh (of course, I was ticked that she slept with Dean, too!), but Murphy sleeps with everybody (except, apparently, Felix!)  I've come to the conclusion that Murphy experiences the world basically in a tactile/kinesthetic way, since obviously she can't do it visually.  And in her world, touch = sex.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

About Jess, in the preview (lying awake and looking shocked/angry) -- does Sterling fess up that she was originally there to spy for Nia?  Jess is going to have to find that out eventually; better it should come from Sterling herself but I don't know how she can do it now & hope for forgiveness.  She should've told Jess before their run.

I don't think I saw that preview, but Sterling has not fessed up and I have a feeling that she will not do so now that Jess has proposed. Sterling may think that she can just put the past behind her since they have run away, but she should know better (as should Jess). It's not just that Sterling was there to spy for Nia, it's that she was Sam's lover while sleeping with / having a relationship with Jess--those two things together should make her unforgivable. But the bigger question to me is, How can they really disappear if Nia and/or Sam is looking for them (Sterling and Jess make a pretty noticeable pair), and how can they afford to live on the run, especially if they want to stay in this nice B&B or inn for more than a couple of days? I thought Jess emptied her bank account a while back to pay for something (drugs? Ben's blackmail?--I don't remember the details) that would get her, Murphy, and Felix out of another mess. 

23 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

ETA:  I was pretty annoyed that Murphy slept with Josh (of course, I was ticked that she slept with Dean, too!), but Murphy sleeps with everybody (except, apparently, Felix!)  I've come to the conclusion that Murphy experiences the world basically in a tactile/kinesthetic way, since obviously she can't do it visually.  And in her world, touch = sex.

I was super-annoyed that Murphy slept with Josh (and that he came over apparently expecting that, after previously seeming to want to stay in the friend zone or at least take it much more slowly than Murphy), but it was inevitable. Your conclusion is a good one, but I think there is more to it--casual sex seems to part of her "I don't care" facade, because she doesn't want to be seen as vulnerable or able to be hurt by love. Also, with Josh there is the added motive of wanting to know what is going on with the investigation.

(edited)
33 minutes ago, Paloma said:

How can they really disappear if Nia and/or Sam is looking for them (Sterling and Jess make a pretty noticeable pair), and how can they afford to live on the run, especially if they want to stay in this nice B&B or inn for more than a couple of days? I thought Jess emptied her bank account a while back to pay for something (drugs? Ben's blackmail?--I don't remember the details) that would get her, Murphy, and Felix out of another mess. 

She took $10,000 out of her savings to pay off the cyclist she accidentally hit (while driving with Nia's drug $$; they didn't have the actual drugs till later.)  They paid him out of Nia's $$ and Jess's $$ went to replace that.)  If she'd taken out $9990.00 and pitched in the $10 out of her own pocket, or Felix's, or Murphy's,  they'd never have been on the IRS radar.  And probably never have met Josh!

I don't think I saw that preview, but Sterling has not fessed up 

I'm wondering if she actually tells her in a rush of love, or if somehow Jess finds out on her own.  I'm guessing the latter.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 6/9/2020 at 5:23 AM, Paloma said:

Seriously, it's hard to believe that visitors can pass contraband to prisoners so easily. Aren't the guards supposed to be watching for this? It's not like passing something under the table is some new trick that they might not be watching for. And presumably there are also surveillance cameras in the visiting room.

More dumber than that, is why don't they install tables with barriers where the visitors/cons cannot pass stuff underneath the tables?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

I'm not all that surprised Murphy slept with Josh after Josiah made her strip. It's her coping mechanism. But I'm surprised it happened as though they'd done it before or at least were headed in that direction... Because last I remember they both said it's not what they wanted.

• Love 2

On 6/12/2020 at 10:57 AM, dubbel zout said:

Did what's-his-face OD at Guiding Hope? So they moved the body to the bar? Why is this plot point so needlessly complicated? 

That end scene with Murphy and Felix in the bar can’t be about Sam OD’ing, unless they were hacking up his body. Murphy was covered in blood. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Murphy was also spattered with blood (at least, her face was) when they found Ben (I never knew his name!) at Guiding Hope. 

I have no idea what's going on with this.

ETA: Fixed the name after reading possibilitie's post.

Edited by dubbel zout
I'm an idiot
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Ben is the drug addict who "works" at GH. I think Sam is the name of Nia's 2nd in command, who was also the girlfriend of the woman who ran off with Jess.

Yes, and Ben the addict is also Felix's "girlfriend's" brother.

• Love 2

Maybe showing Ben dead at the beginning of the first few episodes was to throw us off a bit. Maybe he's not dead, like he's od-ing but they're able to save him, and it's another person that's dead (and whose blood is on Murphy)? Or maybe 2 different people are dead?

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

Maybe showing Ben dead at the beginning of the first few episodes was to throw us off a bit. Maybe he's not dead, like he's od-ing but they're able to save him, and it's another person that's dead (and whose blood is on Murphy)? Or maybe 2 different people are dead?

Now I'm thinking they (The Show) might off the nice IRS guy. 😞

I liked him until he slept with Murphy. Sigh. He'll probably fall in love with her and she'll take advantage of his job, then act all shocked when he gets mad. 

Murphy is a terrible person. She's lucky she has Pretzel. But even he got dragged into things!

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, ketose said:

think of this show as a low-rent "Breaking Bad"

Watching 2.10 "The Last Dance" and thinking about how it all began with needing money for a guide dog business, your description of this show “as a low-rent ‘Breaking Bad‘“ is spot on (“Breaking Bad” began with needing to get money for a dad/schoolteacher’s cancer).

ETA: Intense.
The only problem for me this episode was the trope of Murphy surviving that beating without losing teeth, a permanently bumpy nose, and swollen shut eyes—none of which would have mattered because she’d have died of internal injuries from the kicking.  
But that’s par for the course of TV drama. 
Ben’s and Nia’s deaths were “earned,” dramatically appropriate, and gave the actors good audition reels. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Disappointed that Gene was so admiring of Dean, but I guess it was unrealistic to hope that Gene would become suspicious of Dean's obsession with Murphy and that Dean would get what he deserves.

Overall one of the better episodes in terms of suspense, but they really pushed the limit of believability with Jess showing up at the right place and time to save Murphy. How could she have known they would be at the bar then?  

• Love 2

Maybe Sam or Sterling somehow gave Jess a tip? Without a warning, there'd be no way she'd show up at the bar after it was already closed.

Kudos to the actor who played Ben, because he made me hate him SO MUCH.

I was disappointed that Gene wasn't a double agent, trying to catch Dean doing something that would lead to Dean's demise. Oh well. The chief should have had Dean escorted out, and they should have changed the passwords on his accounts, though. It's a police station with no security? You fired a guy who previously admitted to murder, not because of the murder but because he wasn't obedient enough, and then you let him wander around the office with no supervision after that??

I'm glad this was renewed. I like that Murphy is not a damsel needing to be saved.

I hope Pretzel goes to live with Josh, though. I like both of them and they'd make a much better match for each other than either of them is with Murphy.

• Love 4

I thought Murphy was reaching for a gun she knew was stashed behind the bar, so I was surprised that she wasn't, and that she wasn't the one who killed Nia. But I liked that it gave Jess a chance to redeem herself.

I guess the next step is finding the drugs and dealing with Josiah, and also I hope someone has security footage of Gene breaking that tail light, so he can be dealt with. And... Dean will be waiting for Nia, who's not coming back to pay him, so I don't know what his next moves are, but I want to see more of Chloe. And they still have to deal with the dude that's holding Felix and Max in the back room.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

It was so far-fetched, but I called it that Jess killed Nia. 

I was really glad that P.O.S. Ben OD'd and died.

Now someone needs to kill Scumbag Dean.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, preeya said:

I was really glad that P.O.S. Ben OD'd and died.

We were told that he switched his cancer-ridden, dying mother's pain medication with placebos. That is something really crappy behavior that could never be made amends for and he wasn't really trying to change his life.

So inadvertently Murphy once again manages to screw over Dean's plan.

Edited by nilyank
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Murphy can be terrible, but I am glad she's loyal to Jess and Felix and wasn't willing to sell them out to save herself. I also like that she's genuinely brave and that she does not give up. She seemed so lazy in the beginning, but even then she was really committed to finding out who killed her friend (I hate that I can't remember his name anymore, but this week was the first time I figured out Gene's name, so names of TV characters do not always register with me as much as they probably should).

• Love 2
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought Murphy was reaching for a gun she knew was stashed behind the bar, so I was surprised that she wasn't, and that she wasn't the one who killed Nia. But I liked that it gave Jess a chance to redeem herself.

I thought that also.  

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought that also.  

I thought we did see a gun behind the bar for a second?
But when Murphy didn’t (or couldn’t) get a gun, I thought she was going to smash Nia’s head with a bottle. 

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe Sam or Sterling somehow gave Jess a tip?

This makes sense. It would explain Jess being armed. 
Or maybe Pretzel pulled some kind of a Lassie move?

• LOL 2
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe Sam or Sterling somehow gave Jess a tip?

This makes sense. It would explain Jess being armed. 

I don't see why Sam would want to help Jess, Murphy, etc. (especially not Jess since she "stole" Sam's girlfriend), and I don't see how Sterling would know what was happening unless Sam called her to tell her--but Sterling and Jess both threw their cell phones out of the car while running away together, so how could they be called by anyone who had their old numbers? The only thing that might make sense is if Sterling contacted Sam (with a new phone) and Sam told her what was happening, perhaps to warn her what was about to go down and that Nia would be after her as a traitor--though Sam couldn't have known they'd be at the bar until very close to the time, since Nia's goon didn't know until they got there, or close to it.

Hopefully this will be explained in the next episode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

I don't see why Sam would want to help Jess, Murphy, etc. (especially not Jess since she "stole" Sam's girlfriend), and I don't see how Sterling would know what was happening unless Sam called her to tell her--but Sterling and Jess both threw their cell phones out of the car while running away together, so how could they be called by anyone who had their old numbers? The only thing that might make sense is if Sterling contacted Sam (with a new phone) and Sam told her what was happening, perhaps to warn her what was about to go down and that Nia would be after her as a traitor--though Sam couldn't have known they'd be at the bar until very close to the time, since Nia's goon didn't know until they got there, or close to it.

Hopefully this will be explained in the next episode.

As I said (above) it was really far fetched; and yes an explanation should and hopefully will be forthcoming.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Paloma said:

but they really pushed the limit of believability with Jess showing up at the right place and time to save Murphy. How could she have known they would be at the bar then?  

I know. That was a bit beyond the pale. Though I think Jess could track Murphy's phone, so maybe she used that to find her? And being at the bar so late made her show up there instead of the apartment.

Ben OD'ing and not being shot was a more logical ending for him.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Kudos to the actor who played Ben, because he made me hate him SO MUCH.

LOL. Ben was awful, wasn't he? I did enjoy his "I'm Ben, the receptionist. I gotta pee." to Max. Sometimes Ben was very amusing.

I get why Nia was whaling on Murphy, but on the other hand, girl is blind. It's not like she could visually ID Nia, and I don't think a voice ID would hold up in court. Nia really should have killed Max and Felix if she were going to kill anyone. (I assume they'd be next after Murphy.)

I was really afraid Gene would die. I hope he doesn't. He's like a golden retriever puppy, all energy and enthusiasm. I want the scales to fall from his eyes about Dean, though.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I was really afraid Gene would die. I hope he doesn't. He's like a golden retriever puppy, all energy and enthusiasm. I want the scales to fall from his eyes about Dean, though.

I would totally watch a feel-good, buddy-cop spinoff of Gene fighting crime with his new partner, Pretzel.  Speaking of whom, what was up with him sitting calmly on the couch as Max broke into the apartment?  All the dogs I’ve known would either go into fierce protective mode, or hide somewhere and pee on the rug.

• LOL 3

I can easily believe Jess is still tracking Murphy, she just had to install the same app on a new phone.

32 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Speaking of whom, what was up with him sitting calmly on the couch as Max broke into the apartment?  All the dogs I’ve known would either go into fierce protective mode, or hide somewhere and pee on the rug.

Highly trained Seeing Eye Dog. He cannot freak out under any circumstances; it could get his human killed. If Pretzel jumped and ran at every loud noise he'd have deserted Murphy years ago.

Plus he knew Max, so probably wasn't sensing ill intent from his actions.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Speaking of whom, what was up with him sitting calmly on the couch as Max broke into the apartment?  All the dogs I’ve known would either go into fierce protective mode, or hide somewhere and pee on the rug.

Like what @PinkRibbons said:

• Pretzel "knows" Max as someone who sleeps with Murphy
  • Pretzel is trained as a guide dog, not for protection from attacks
  • Pretzel's training probably includes not hiding and peeing when afraid

All that said,

• I'm hoping Pretzel did a Lassie and found Jess because Pretzel sensed Murphy was in trouble (or maybe Pretzel was hungry).
    • Then maybe Jess was able to track Murphy's phone.
    • Or Sterling contacted Sam to find out what was up
  • Or maybe Chloe was somehow involved (tricky since Jess tossed the cell phone, but there's Instagram etc.)
  • Or, least favorite option: Dean decided to save Murphy's life, maybe for Chloe. Not sure how Dean would contact Jess; more likely Jess would contact Dean?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2