Type keyword(s) to search

Matt and Caryn

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

It would depend who was giving the tour for me.  At this rate, it could be Chris or even Izzy -- not a Roloff at all!

That might work.  I’d like to meet Caryn or even Jacob would be ok.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

How about "do you do this at all?"

How about depending where you live it might be a frequent occurrence.  In Los Angeles you're just about a shut in if you don't run into famous people fairly regularly. Even in the so-so part of town I live in one of my neighbors is a fairly famous muscian...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bobalina said:

How about depending where you live it might be a frequent occurrence.  In Los Angeles you're just about a shut in if you don't run into famous people fairly regularly. Even in the so-so part of town I live in one of my neighbors is a fairly famous muscian...

I’ve only run into celebrities out a few times. The first, as I child I met Darby Hinton, who played Israel Boone at an amusement park.   Then,  I saw John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, not long before John’s death, in the Rainbow Room in NYC. Then, was Matthew Laurence (actor) who played Dentist Mel Silver  on Beverly Hills 90210 in a restaurant in Raleigh, NC.  We introduced ourselves and he actually came to our table and had a drink. He was there alone.  And lastly, Sharon Lawrence (actor) Hill Street Blues, in a local bar in Raleigh, where she was celebrating her high school reunion.  I smiled, but didn’t approach her or try to get a photo. I would handle it differently now.  

So, it would be nice to get photos with some of the Roloffs.  I haven’t met any reality tv celebs yet. Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

How about "do you do this at all?"

Yeah...  Not something that has occurred in my life.  Even once.

Nor did I know what a "steampunk" was.  Nor do I own the hat.

Sheltered life?

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Yeah...  Not something that has occurred in my life.  Even once.

Nor did I know what a "steampunk" was.  Nor do I own the hat.

Sheltered life?

Well if you decide that you want Amys plastic steampunk hat it’s available for $4.99 on the costume sites 😋

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
14 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Well if you decide that you want Amys plastic steampunk hat it’s available for $4.99 on the costume sites 😋

A cheap plastic hat, that explains it! 😂

No wonder her hair always looks greasy like its sweated onto her head! 

If she keeps wearing that shit she'll go bald and Matt will be Fabio 

B.jpg

• LOL 7
On 11/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, bobalina said:

Doesn't Matt always take a vacation after pumpkin season? Seems like a reasonable thing. But doesn't he usually go to Hawaii?

Yes, but Amy and Chris are there on their honeymoon, along with Lisa and husband celebrating her 60th birthday!  Can you imagine Matt and Caryn showing up too? 🤣

45 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, but Amy and Chris are there on their honeymoon, along with Lisa and husband celebrating her 60th birthday!  Can you imagine Matt and Caryn showing up too? 🤣

Hawaii's a big place with several islands, no need to share a hotel.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Knowing Matt goes there after pumpkin season wouldn't you think Amy would choose another place to honeymoon!

She always tries to have her nose in Matt's business.

But...that's Amy!  No class at all.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Hawaii's a big place with several islands, no need to share a hotel.

Yeah….it’s just funnier to envision them all showing up at the pool or riding up in the same elevator.  TLC is missing out on some good storylines. 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Knowing Matt goes there after pumpkin season wouldn't you think Amy would choose another place to honeymoon!

He's actually been going to Arizona the last few years. Also its really not as though they can't avoid each other - its as simple as staying at a different resort or scheduling one's trip at a different time

7 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

She always tries to have her nose in Matt's business.

I don't understand how going on her honeymoon in Hawaii (something she was clearly planning as she mentioned it months ago) while Matt goes to a resort in Mexico is trying to have her nose in Matt's business. They aren't married anymore. She can go to Hawaii when she wants without checking in with Matt. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Endora said:

Matt did an instagram post today with a little update  and sounds like Zach is out and Jacob is the new farm hand.  

I guess that is a 'little' payback for fucking him over in the old days.Great now they got pothead and the gold digger and the supreme shithead,matt.Scamming machine has new personal.

• LOL 2

Matt would have been in his glory to loudly suffer on camera.

Maaaaybe. 

I think Matt is sensitive to his image, number one. Its very easy for him to paint himself as a little trooper who was always smiling despite the pain, that resilient little spark plug who never let his disability stop him!

But based on things his parents have said, and frankly some of the raging bitterness he expressed in early episodes  and some harsh comments he made on back in 2008-11, I don't think teen Matt was always fighting and always happy - and for the record, I in no way find that unusual, that a young child or a teen just might have bitter moments about a health situation - but I think its really important to Matt that he be viewed as someone who can 'take the pain'. so to speak. 

Number two - it goes to privacy. Matt never had any problem displaying Zach's health issues for public display, or the other kids for that matter, but ask him about his surgeries and what they were for, he professes to not know. Considering his level of bitterness and his insistence that he was experimented on, I find it hard to believe ie: you can't know you were experimented on if you don't know what surgery you had or why you had it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Maaaaybe. 

I think Matt is sensitive to his image, number one. Its very easy for him to paint himself as a little trooper who was always smiling despite the pain, that resilient little spark plug who never let his disability stop him!

But based on things his parents have said, and frankly some of the raging bitterness he expressed in early episodes  and some harsh comments he made on back in 2008-11, I don't think teen Matt was always fighting and always happy - and for the record, I in no way find that unusual, that a young child or a teen just might have bitter moments about a health situation - but I think its really important to Matt that he be viewed as someone who can 'take the pain'. so to speak. 

Number two - it goes to privacy. Matt never had any problem displaying Zach's health issues for public display, or the other kids for that matter, but ask him about his surgeries and what they were for, he professes to not know. Considering his level of bitterness and his insistence that he was experimented on, I find it hard to believe ie: you can't know you were experimented on if you don't know what surgery you had or why you had it. 

You can if you're Matt

• LOL 1

If Matt was equally responsible for the kids never learning to pick up after themselves (good luck overruling Amy), it would logically follow that Amy was equally responsible for exploiting her children on TV.  No one pushes her around.

In any event, if given the choice between being where he is now because of the show or (probably) being a nobody still living in his mom's basement without it, I'm pretty sure Zach would choose the former.  So thanks, TLC, and the parents!

• Love 7

I certainly don't disagree that Amy is equally, not solely responsible, for both exploiting the kids and for raising them poorly.

Its the "Matt is equally responsible" that seems to raise a fuss with tons of excuses offered to shift blame from two parents to one. 

• Love 6

At least Matt objected to how they were being raised despite being helpless to change it; I can't imagine Amy keeping quiet (not to mention legally signing off on) her kids being on a reality TV show if she objected to it.  Or about anything else, for that matter!

• Love 4

Actually in the early episodes ahe wasn't happy about it and voiced it and said Matt did what he wanted. So Matt complained about the kids but was helpless to actually do anything to parent and Amy was against the show but was helpless to stop Matt as he made all the business decisions. Again, equal failures 

• Love 6

And I have repeatedly agreed that Amy and Matt are equally responsible in failing their children both in raising them and with allowing the show to take over their lives. Matt had opportunity to disagree with Amy and put his foot down on the children being undisciplined slobs, and never put the effort in. Amy was against the show and could have put her foot down, and didn't. They equally failed their children, in my opinion.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

And I have repeatedly agreed that Amy and Matt are equally responsible in failing their children both in raising them and with allowing the show to take over their lives. Matt had opportunity to disagree with Amy and put his foot down on the children being undisciplined slobs, and never put the effort in. Amy was against the show and could have put her foot down, and didn't. They equally failed their children, in my opinion.

If I recall correctly they were just about to lose the farm when TLC came along. In some ways Amy didn't have much choice,

• Love 6
Just now, bobalina said:

If I recall correctly they were just about to lose the farm when TLC came along. In some ways Amy didn't have much choice,

Yes. Matt had been unemployed for over a year after being fired from his sales job and the farm was not covering the family expenses.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, bobalina said:

They are lucky Matt found a way to rescue them.  

Evidently Amy’s three jobs was not generating much income!

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Certainly Matt's complete lack of a job for over a year was a bigger issue - remember he's supposed to be the provider and actively didn't want his wife to work. The trade off of giving up a work career to be a mother is that you don't gain the same working skills and experience someone who works gets. Matt's part of the deal was to yeah, bring in the income from his job. And he wasn't. That's in HIS book, by the way. Amy's three crummy jobs certainly weren't Matt's high flying sales job but I don't see why she's derided for going back to work to get some money coming in while Matt played around the farm for over a year BEFORE the show began. Somehow I doubt she'd be applauded for refusing to help out yet somehow she was wrong to try and stop the financial bleeding while Matt spent a year finding himself. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

They are lucky Matt found a way to rescue them.  

She was a preschool teacher and two part time jobs. She was also solely responsible for the kids and the house while Matt played farmer and piddled money away on projects.

• Love 10

"Preschool teacher"?  I believe she was a teacher's aide, of sorts, in the private Christian school her kids attended to (help) offset tuition.  My sister also pitched in in such a capacity, although she was in no way a teacher; just a classroom helper.  If Amy has teaching credentials, I'm not aware of them...  Nor are they reflected in her command of the language.  And was she paid to coach soccer?  I wasn't aware that she was a soccer player, either.  Amy has unplumbed depths!  And what was the third job again?

29 minutes ago, bobalina said:

She was also solely responsible for the kids and the house....

So Amy was the one responsible for raising three irresponsible boys.  Thought so!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I believe she was a teacher's aide, of sorts, in the private Christian school her kids attended to (help) offset tuition. 

I mean, she could have been working as a janitor or a lunch lady, and it would still be Amy working to bring in income while Matt was out of work. In my state preschool teachers do not need to be certified but it really makes little difference in the sense that she was working.

16 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

And was she paid to coach soccer?

Yes, not unusual in league situations.

17 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

And what was the third job again?

She was the secretary for the soccer league. Also she worked in Matt and Mike's office as their secretary. This was all in season one when Matt finding himself and not working. 

18 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

So Amy was the one responsible for raising three irresponsible boys.  Thought so!

Because Matt was supposed to be making the money and wasn't. Keep in mind, I still assign them both blame on the raising in part because Matt didn't fulfil his duty to provide without forcing the entire family on tv but as I said earlier - the issue isn't accepting they were both to blame for various choices but that blame tends to get foisted onto Amy without acknowledging Matt's actions. He was supposed to provide and didn't. He wanted the kids disciplined but didn't want to cross Amy. He shares equal blame in how his kids turned out. At least to me. 

• Love 7
On 11/21/2021 at 6:24 PM, Endora said:

Matt did an instagram post today with a little update  and sounds like Zach is out and Jacob is the new farm hand.  

That sounds very logical as Jacob is a new dad, has a wife, and no other source of income.  I bet he'll be a far greater asset to Matt at the ranch doing meaningful work than Zach could ever be.

I think Zack and Tori (at Tori's direction) are financially well off because of all the years they've appeared on the show (maybe invested a lot of $$) while Jacob hasn't appeared on the show for many years and was living a very "simple life" (essentially living out of his van).

Izzie must be thrilled and delighted that she and her family can now look forward to a substantially improved standard of living!!

Edited by pdlinda
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Why didn't Amy just get one good job and stick to that?

Matt didn't want her to work and pretty constantly complained about it. And really, one reason its hard for women to advance is that motherhood is held against you. If you live with a man who refuses to do anything with the children - pick them up from school or activities, feed them without a woman helping etc - then all the children issues fall on the woman who has to take time off from work in order to tend the kids. Its hard to get a good job or promote if you're always calling out due to the family, or restricted to working specific hours because of the kids. Thats why a lot of women are having difficulty right now - the childrearing falls on them and they can't get child care so its their work history that suffers. 

It genuinely doesn't matter how good Amy's jobs were - the reality is that Matt wasn't working at all, and she stepped up and did get some extra jobs to help bring money in and keep the family afloat while he spent over a year unemployed. That year of Matt playing on the farm is why the kids and Amy are so hostile in the early episodes. Matt almost lost their home due to his financial decisions, thats in his book, made worse that Matt often took the attitude that Amy's jobs were nothing and pointless while his unemployed dreaming was so important. Its actually a stunning example of how Matt was always about what Matt wanted and to hell with the family, and Amy was actually worried about the kids. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Is there actual proof that she was paid for her jobs?

I recall some information about the kids tuition to the private school being covered or subsidized by Amy volunteering as a teachers aide but I don’t recall any information about her being paid for the soccer coaching or anything else… can someone point me to the episode where this was mentioned?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I don’t recall any information about her being paid for the soccer coaching or anything else… can someone point me to the episode where this was mentioned?

I'd suggest rewatching season one. It's mentioned there. The kids often talk about mom working three jobs and its mentioned by Amy that she was working because Matt wasn't. If you're expecting her to flash her paychecks, that didn't happen. 

I don't recall anyone on the show ever, on the show, stating that they were paid by TLC to be filmed. In fact they often coyly avoid that subject. Is there a reason to doubt Amy was paid? Even if working as an aide cut down tuition costs, I'd count that as being paid in kind and supporting the family. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I'd suggest rewatching season one. It's mentioned there. The kids often talk about mom working three jobs and its mentioned by Amy that she was working because Matt wasn't. If you're expecting her to flash her paychecks, that didn't happen. 

I don't recall anyone on the show ever, on the show, stating that they were paid by TLC to be filmed. In fact they often coyly avoid that subject. Is there a reason to doubt Amy was paid? Even if working as an aide cut down tuition costs, I'd count that as being paid in kind and supporting the family. 

I already said that I recall the reduced tuition and of course that would count as payment.

You said that she was paid to coach soccer and I don’t recall ever hearing that on the show, I wanted to know which episode that’s in so I can watch it for myself.  

Edited by Joan of Argh
Clarity
  • Love 1