Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: These Boots Are Made for Walkin'

Eddie, angry after his mom tells him he’s too immature to go on a student exchange trip to Taiwan, takes Jessica at her word when she says “my house, my rules” and leaves home. But when he ends up living with Horace in his new apartment, he has second thoughts.

Original air date: 3/8/19

I continue to hate Jessica with a firey passion. Her reason for him not going on the cultural exchange were ridiculous. He wasn’t going buy himself he would probably be more managed than he is at home with meals, activities and transportation, etc taken care of at most I could see was him doing the laundry but perhaps not even than because it’s super cheap to get it done for you in Taiwan that it would probably be taken care of and if they had home exchanges some other woman would be taking care of him. 

Just last week she was telling Evan that Eddie was a loser so I don’t care that she was worried/sad about Eddie being gone and she can miss me with her taking credit for Eddie’s succeeding. 

If Honey was on bed rest why wouldn’t Jessica just go next door and talk to her? Oh right because she is the worst.

• Love 12

The writers must hate Jessica too. This episode and last week's really highlight how different Jessica and Louis handle basically the same situations. Jessica just orders and dictates without discussion. Louis want to get to the bottom of it and talk it out. And yeah, Eddie can be lazy but he's a teenager and he's come a long way. He also rise to the occasion when necessary. She always forget the good in him and insist on him being a loser.

• Love 5

I was dying at the opener with Eddie taking four hours to get his dads hair right on the Sims, er, My Tiny Family. I’ve spent way too many hours creating my people and houses lol. I haven’t played in years because I don’t have a computer (iPad only for now), but my daughter still play and it’s still a time suck lol. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Concerned said:

Not to seem a million years old, but this is the same plot as when Wally visits Eddie at his cool new pad and it turns out to be a dump on Leave It To Beaver.

Nothing new under the sun.  If you can't steal from Leave it to Beaver, who can you steal from?  I doubt if many people remember that now.

Yes, Jessica's still tiresome.  Even when she makes a mistake, it's because she's "too good" at what she does.  

I didn't know kids could go into bars into Orlando, they sure can't here.  Must be part of the tourist trade atmosphere.

So Eddie's going to Taiwan?  So that means he's either going to be missing on the show, we're going to be seeing him in scenes in Taiwan, or he's just supposedly going there while the show is on summer break.

I've never played the Sims before, although I've thought of starting it a few times.  As has been said, it looks like a big time waster.  I didn't know people made little versions of their own family on there - it should have been obvious, really.

• Love 2

I'm having a hard time paying attention to this show now. The storylines are all over the place and I'm losing interest in the characters. Louis being the only standout and even he is getting little to do these days. 

I feel like this or next season might be its last. It's a shame since it was nice seeing an Asian family sitcom, even if the characters portrayed were never "fresh off the boat." The title never did make sense.

• Love 4

As usual, I really liked Eddie in this episode. Loved seeing him thrive in the truly horrible apartment and going to buy olive oil for the meal he was cooking, lol. He and Louis are my favorites, along with Eddie's friends. I could definitely get on board with a Louis and Eddie show.

I was totally lost on the Emery storyline. I don't remember a big plot with him and Louis over volleyball. And he quit volleyball, and started line dancing? In a bar? Was that supposed to be some sort of all ages class or something? It was just odd.

Evan still totally annoys me. 

I miss Marvin.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

I was totally lost on the Emery storyline. I don't remember a big plot with him and Louis over volleyball. And he quit volleyball, and started line dancing? In a bar? Was that supposed to be some sort of all ages class or something? It was just odd.

Yeah, minors aren't even allowed in bars where I'm from.  Apparently they are in Orlando, but really, how many kids hang out in bars routinely?  Seems very odd to me, but I guess this must be in the realm of somebody's experience.  

Anyone in the forum here spend a lot of time hanging out in bars on their own while they were growing up?  We'd love to hear from you.

• Love 1

So does this bar not check IDs? Emery is a kid, how is he let in? 

Jessica is a jerk and learns a lesson about being a good mom, rinse and repeat. And dont encourage her, Taxi kid! She does not need anymore feeding of her enormous ego! I did love seeing Eddie actually rise to the occasion and help out with the apartment, and Jessica sees that he can be trusted with responsibility. I mean, Eddie has had actual character development, as have most of the other characters, at least the ones we still see around. Whereas Jessica just keeps regressing. 

That Sims knock off was hilariously accurate, at least in the characters motions and weird sound bubbles. 

• Love 5
On 3/9/2019 at 5:54 PM, rmontro said:

Nothing new under the sun.  If you can't steal from Leave it to Beaver, who can you steal from?  I doubt if many people remember that now.

Yes, Jessica's still tiresome.  Even when she makes a mistake, it's because she's "too good" at what she does.  

I didn't know kids could go into bars into Orlando, they sure can't here.  Must be part of the tourist trade atmosphere.

So Eddie's going to Taiwan?  So that means he's either going to be missing on the show, we're going to be seeing him in scenes in Taiwan, or he's just supposedly going there while the show is on summer break.

I've never played the Sims before, although I've thought of starting it a few times.  As has been said, it looks like a big time waster.  I didn't know people made little versions of their own family on there - it should have been obvious, really.

My daughter spent HOURS perfectly replicating our house, our family members and even our dogs lol.  I hope she ended up making us a lot wealthier in the game though, lol. 

15 hours ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, minors aren't even allowed in bars where I'm from.  Apparently they are in Orlando, but really, how many kids hang out in bars routinely?  Seems very odd to me, but I guess this must be in the realm of somebody's experience.  

Anyone in the forum here spend a lot of time hanging out in bars on their own while they were growing up?  We'd love to hear from you.

The thing I noticed about Emory in the bar is just how tall he's gotten!  Still could not possibly pass for anyone older than his age, but he is really tall. 

• Love 1

Thanks to the power of Google, I now know there is no age requirement in bars but bars can designate themselves "over 21 only" after certain hours if they choose to.  When I was growing up in AZ, we could go in and sit at a table but not sit at the actual bar (and I feel like we had to have an adult with us). I could see Emery finding a flyer or something advertising line dancing on Tuesday nights (or whatever) and checking it out and liking it. Although it was weird he travelled so far to do it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don’t know what the laws were in Florida when this takes place but I know that a lot of places that are considered bars don’t actually keep out minors, especially if they serve food because they are technically restaurants. They card if you order alcohol (or they card at the door and stamp your hand if you’re over 21), but they don’t actually forbid kids from entering. I learned this after a friend had her first kid and kept taking him to bars. I was like are you sure you can bring him inside? 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
On 3/10/2019 at 1:19 PM, rmontro said:

I lived in a tiny town in Montana. 250 people yet 4 bars. They all allowed minors and had pinball, pool tables and foosball for us kids to mess around with. It was the only place for us kids to hang out and I guess in a way we were supervised by the townsfolk. 

No other place I lived was like that. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

I lived in a tiny town in Montana. 250 people yet 4 bars. They all allowed minors and had pinball, pool tables and foosball for us kids to mess around with. It was the only place for us kids to hang out and I guess in a way we were supervised by the townsfolk. 

That almost makes sense for a small town though.  Orlando is much larger. 

I'm aware that if the bar is considered a restaurant, or at least part restaurant, minors can enter.  That place just looked like a straight up bar to me though. 

It was also funny that Emery walked in, but the bouncer or whoever it was tried to stop Louis at the door.  Presumably he recognized Louis as a regular, but why try to stop Louis?  The whole thing was kind of odd.

• Love 1

I live in a college town and there are a ton of places that look like regular old bars full of drunk college kids that actually allow minors in because apparently if you can order stale fries and lukewarm chicken tenders at the bar with your beer, it's technically considered a restaurant.

Line dancing was still a thing back in the 90s so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some line dancing places that served alcohol but were considered restaurants.

• Love 2
On 3/9/2019 at 7:46 AM, Whimsy said:

I was dying at the opener with Eddie taking four hours to get his dads hair right on the Sims, er, My Tiny Family.

And then when TinyDad was combing his hair, as he looked at himself in the mirror, a heart appeared above his head!

Minors in bars varies from state to state. Where I live you have to be 21 to even be inside a bar or the bar area of a restaurant, so when I travel, I'm always taken aback when I see a couple of kids sitting with their parents at the actual bar eating food from the children's menu.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2019 at 4:56 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I live in a college town and there are a ton of places that look like regular old bars full of drunk college kids that actually allow minors in because apparently if you can order stale fries and lukewarm chicken tenders at the bar with your beer, it's technically considered a restaurant.

It must be something like that, because somebody wrote that into the story and didn't think it was strange.  Still doesn't explain why the guy at the door tried to stop Louis from going in.  

I Googled Florida law, and this is what came up:

"In establishments where sales from food account for more than 50% of total sales, minors are allowed in the establishment. There is no law prohibiting minors to sit at a bar as long as they are not consuming alcohol. Must be at least 18 to work in areas of an establishment that sell or serve alcohol for consumption." (Link is below).

I don't find that surprising, but that place really did not look like half of its sales would be from food.  Especially with the dancing, which tends to make customers thirsty.

Even if it was legal for Emery to be there, it doesn't seem like his parents would want him hanging out there.  And he doesn't seem like the kind of kid who would want to go against his parents wishes on something like that.  I think that's what bugs me the most about it.

https://www.servsafe.com/downloads/pdfs/ssa-key-laws/florida

I actually thought this was one of the better episodes.  Jessica realized she was wrong, which is always nice.  The Sims game was amusing, especially when she had her sons fanning her.  I like seeing Louis with Evan.  His disguise was funny.  The line dancing subplot, like everything about this show, was clunky, but overall, this episode had a couple of comical moments.