Type keyword(s) to search

Gravity Falls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Blendin's back! It's interesting to notice that he is simultaneously Rick and Morty. Doesn't hurt that they're all voiced by Justin Roiland.

I think my favorite part of the time travel to Young!Soos's birthday was Dipper finally getting perspective on his crush on Wendy.

Yeah, Infinite Pizza is a damn good time wish. I love how Blendin was immediately on board with that, but then again how could you not?

Code for the book page at the end:

JOIN THE TIME PARADOX AVOIDANCE ENFORCEMENT SQUADRON!
GREAT HOURS!
SOLID BENEFITS!

ETA: "I'm going to stammer until you find them!" was probably my favorite line in the episode.

Code seen at the credits: "DON'T DO THE TIME CRIME IF YOU CAN'T DO THE TIME TIME."

Edited by Galileo908

Finally saw this episode last night, and I loved it. Although I do admit that Soos is much younger than I thought. I loved all the characters this episode, and how they all banded together to make Soos feel better, and I loved the little insight we got into Stan and Soos' relationship.

No news on the agents! Which isn't surprising considering we were rarely in the present this episode.

That episode was so sweet, I nearly teared up at the end (it hit a little close to home). Finding out Soos' last name made me wonder (I'll spoiler it since this wasn't revealed on the show, just in case)

Alex Hirsch said that Soos was half Mexican, so since his last name is Ramirez, it sounds like his father is Mexican. So was his grandmother talking about her own son like that? Of course Soos' parents may have not been married and he took his mother's name.

I had pizza today, sadly it was not infinite.

Blendin's back! It's interesting to notice that he is simultaneously Rick and Morty. Doesn't hurt that they're all voiced by Justin Roiland.

I was wondering that! Sounded like a lot of Morty in there this episode.

I liked this episode, we did wonder why Dipper didn't wish to know the identity of the author.. it wouldn't have been as cute as what they did but it would have been maybe a bit more useful :P

I thought it was interesting to know that had Dipper and Mabel not gone back in time they wouldn't have influenced Soos to work at the Mystery Shack and would never have met him - in theory.

I liked the Wendy/Dipper situation too, good call Mabel! :D

The Love God was essentially Bender inhabiting Jack Black's body

Loved how Waddles/Gompers match was just duct taping the two together, so I absolutely loved the montage of them together at the end.

Stan's "I EAT KIDS" balloon was just the best. That was such a great payoff. "It's heaven's punishment for our terrible taste in everything!"

• Love 1

I loved this episode. Loved that Robbie's parents are overly-cheerful funeral directors. Loved the pictures of Robbie through the years on his parents' wall - each year getting more acne, more surly and more goth-y.

Loved the "specials" board at Lazy Susan's restaurant ("Ask about our steak special - we don't have one"). Died laughing at Grunkle Stan's I EAT KIDS hot air balloon.

I noticed that Grunkle Stan's hand is still bandaged from when it got hit by an object getting sucked into his vortex machine thing a couple episodes ago. I think that may be important. Otherwise, weird continuity for a cartoon.

When we first got introduced to Wendy's friends in the convenience store episode, I remember looking at Lee and Nate and vaguely thinking, "I could totally believe that those two have tiny crushes on each other and aren't consciously aware of it." I think this episode made me just a little bit more convinced of that.

Mabel's conversation with Robbie had all my favorite lines of the night. I got a laugh out of her identifying herself as "girl DIpper," and then completely lost it when she 'affectionately' described Robbie as "human rat poison."

I have a few things I think need to go here:

And:
tumblr_nfq2buRJGU1rj3qpvo1_500.jpg

Awww, Wompers 4ever! I loved that song so much, fave part of the episode.

When we first got introduced to Wendy's friends in the convenience store episode, I remember looking at Lee and Nate and vaguely thinking, "I could totally believe that those two have tiny crushes on each other and aren't consciously aware of it." I think this episode made me just a little bit more convinced of that.

I think tumblr agrees with you: Natelee

"It's heaven's punishment for our terrible taste in everything!"

I laughed so hard at that line and when Robbie's parents were watching the mayhem were super-cheerfully saying how awful it would be if someone died.

My second favorite line was "Aw, they're going to make a 'snadger'!"

I was not a fan of the shortened intro.

"Ghost Harassers on the UTBAHC (Used To Be About History Channel)"

Okay, the whole reveal with the ghost was genuinely unsettling.

"Aintafraidus noghostus!" Between this show and Steven Universe, you shouldn't trust what elders say what's inside of old mirrors. Really liked how the ghost just wanted to let the regular people into the party (and you know, turning everyone else into wood). The Free Pizza Guy got his free pizza!

Dipper was frozen in the same post the shapeshifter made in "Into The Bunker."

So...we saw the agents again. And the apocalypse is coming. WHEN IS THE NEXT EPISODE, DISNEY??!

EDIT: The code at the end with the journal page reads:

STAN IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS

STAN IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS

Edited by Galileo908

Hmm, I wonder if the lack of them in an episode is what the short intro was all about. That made me a little sad.

I was a bit disappointed that this is mostly just another filler episode, considering we waited so long. 

I wonder how long it'll be until the next episode and hopefully, based on the ending, we'll get some more info on the author.

I read that the shortened intro was so there could be more content. I'm not sure how true that it (I watched it in real time).

Also, I read that at the end of the episode Bill Cipher appeared with people bowing to him? Did anyone else catch that? I thought the episode ending with the agents.

On the one hand, I liked Dipper walking away from McGucket, I think it shows some character development, but as a fan of the show, I just want to know what's on the laptop!

Kalliste-I think the next episode is in early March.

"My heart was hard as an oak, but now it is soft, like a birch or something!"

Also, continuity error: Pacifica was NOT wearing a seafoam dress at the party, she was wearing a  lavender one !

Edited by stopeslite
  • Love 1

I read that the shortened intro was so there could be more content. I'm not sure how true that it (I watched it in real time).

Also, I read that at the end of the episode Bill Cipher appeared with people bowing to him? Did anyone else catch that? I thought the episode ending with the agents.

I assumed the short opening was also for time.  As for Bill, there was a tapestry at the end, before the end tag with the agents, showing two people bowing at what looks like Bill floating in the sky.

Matt K: thanks! I actually went back and rewatched it tonight (it's on demand for those who have it), and I noticed the tapestry. From what I read I was picturing something more live action-y, with like a Bill shadow and worshiping people. Having the tapestry in the Northwest manor is certainly interesting, though.

Stopeslite: Pacifica's dress really bothered me! All that fuss her mom made of seafoam versus lakefoam, and she shows up in violet!

I loved the tapestry.. I wonder if I can buy it for my house!

My thoughts on the dress was that because of how Pacifica feels about her parents she got changed because it wasn't the right colour.

If next episode is early March, here's hoping they're back to once a fortnight.

I liked Dipper and Pacifica as a couple.  It moves him past longing for Wendy, and it's a better pairing than Candy (Grenda's got a guy now).  Plus, she showed some potential in the Golf War episode.  As a bonus, it gives Fillion a chance to do more work on the show.

I would have liked to see Grunkle Stan or Soos there as well.  Stan would have stealing stuff while Soos could have been Soos.

Curious that they would have a big Apocalyptic event so soon into the second half of the season.  Or that Bill would return again.  I would have thought that Gideon would have broken out of prison by now, with all of the shorts during the break.

Curious that they would have a big Apocalyptic event so soon into the second half of the season.  Or that Bill would return again.  I would have thought that Gideon would have broken out of prison by now, with all of the shorts during the break.

Given that, at this rate, the second season probably won't finish airing until 2018, it's a good idea to have some big events before the finale. And I never thought Bill's business was finished. What I really want some movement on is whatever Grunkle Stan is up to.

I didnt see any gideon shorts during the break... what have i been missing! i was hoping Gideon would just disappear.

From stuff i read before season 2, it suggests Bill is definitely not finished and will be important.. i guess we will have to wait 5 years to find out. :( the speed at which they are airing it is endlessly sad. I guess Disney didnt realise what they had before it started.

"Ghost Harassers on the UTBAHC (Used To Be About History Channel)"

This was my favorite gag because it just sticks in my craw that networks like the History Channel used to actually air stuff about history, and now it's all aliens, ghosts and conspiracy theories. Don't even get me started on the fact that "TLC" used to stand for "The Learning Channel" and was originally started by NASA.

And "Ghost Harassers" is also just about right, since those shows seem to consist of people going into dark places late at night with scientific equipment that they don't seem truly understand and yell at the ghosts that supposedly live there. 

I'm strangely okay with something happening with Dipper and Pacifica. She's someone who isn't totally out of reach, like Wendy, so it would be good for him. And yes - he seems to grow up a bit and move on from his obsessions just when he probably should be paying attention the most. 

I agree that it was weird with no Soos or Grunkle Stan. Grunkle Stan would totally be in that group of people running into the party at the end, just to see what he could pocket in the Northwest mansion.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 1
After government agents take Stan into custody, Dipper and Mabel begin to question how much they really know about their Grunkle Stan.

Finally we might find out more about why Stan isn't what he seems!

Love the fireworks. I caught "Poor Choices" and "Lawsuit Maker."

"It's unnatural for siblings to get along as well as you do." Hmm...maybe Stan knows from experience? I never bought in to that "Stan has a brother" rumor, but there was some hint towards that.

So...the portal was to open a hole in the universe to bring back the author: Stan's Brother. May I say the following: HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

ETA: The code in the credits has been solved. It reads "THE ORIGINAL MYSTERY TWINS.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

So...the portal was to open a hole in the universe to bring back the author: Stan's Brother. May I say the following: HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

ETA: The code in the credits has been solved. It reads "THE ORIGINAL MYSTERY TWINS.

This!

We FINALLY got to know what that machine was for.  Animated Stargate.  Stan, or let's just call him Gruncle, still should have told them after the zombie bit.  Why keep something like that from family?  They should have been told at the very least, why he's using the machine.

So, 3 journals for the 3 people working together in Gravity Falls.  Book 1 for the Author, Book 2 for Gruncle, and Book 3 for McGucket.  If B3 was given to McGucket and he hid it away but forgot about it, then it makes sense.  But how did Gideon get either of the other 2 books?  And what does Gideon want with them?  Also, does each journal have different entries?  Or are they copies with the only difference being the machine instructions?  I'm getting shades of the Ninth Gate here.

Dang it!  Now, I have even more questions than I had before seeing the episode.  Curse you, Show!

I'm sure that each journal has different entries. Dipper's is mostly filled with creatures while Gideon's had objects. Gideon was searching for Journal 1 because he somehow obtained Journal 2, since if he had #2 there HAD to be a #1. Which is why he was so surprised to find #3.

FINALLY! I've been waiting forever for an episode like this! I'm glad Soos was involved, I was concerned he wouldn't be for a little bit.

Would have been neat to have Wendy too but I'm ok with just the 4. I wonder if we'll find out that Stan had 6 fingers too.

Oh my damn and hells bells, that was something! My 12 year old nephew called Stan having a twin before the second season started, whereas I'm the type of person who needs a cheat-sheet for everything.

Dang it!  Now, I have even more questions than I had before seeing the episode.  Curse you, Show!

Seriously! Is that Dipper and Mabel's grandfather? If they found those articles saying "Stan Pines Dead", does that mean someone (Stanford) staged the accident to cover up what really happened? How did he get sucked into the portal in the first place? I'm guessing at the end of "Gideon Rises" Stanford did say "Finally, we have them all" meaning his brother.

Tonight wouldn't be soon enough for the next episode. I want it NOW!

I knew it! I knew Stan had a twin, mostly due to the evidence outlined in the video linked above. And I knew he would show up soon because Stan has had that bandage on his hand for a few episodes now - rare in animation. I figured it would be used as an easy way to tell them apart.

Also, Nice foreshadowing when Stan paused at the beginning of the episode, dreading having to tell the kids the truth, and did so next to a window so we could see his reflection in the window behind him - two Stans.

Folks also noted a quick shot of what appeared to be a deeply symbolic swing set (one swing broken, one whole) back in Dreamscaperers: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ivH_TCd14Mg

The closing credits confirmed the swing set thing.

This certainly will shake things up. What will two Stan's be like? How different is Stanley from Stanford? And as they pointed out over at the AV Club, will Dipper forgive Stan for lying to him all summer?

• Love 1