Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: oMens

Bort

Season 2 Finale

Reeva prepares to carry out her plan for the Inner Circle, but not everyone is on the same page. Reed struggles to manage his powers and the family realizes that without enough of the serum, it's only a matter of time before he completely loses control. Frustrated and egged on by Benedict Ryan, Jace and the Purifiers are on the attack, but for Jace, things aren't as black and white as they once were.

Airdate: Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Wow, Clarisse isn't dead, what a shock. RME. I bet Reed isn't either. He is a Van Strucker. He has probably been converted into another form of energy.

I can't believe that Jace survived what is likely to be the final season. No streaming service is picking up a Disney property.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

No. No. No no no no no no. NO.

I know enough of X-history to know what Clarice is alluding to, and what the third season would be based upon. No. It's too late. Way too late.

The sad thing is that good people worked on this series. I went to The Gifted panel at NYCC last October. Everyone looked hopeful and confident of what they were doing. But all we really got was a big pile of mediocre with the occasional great moment, and those were offset by poorly-written characters. Of course John would let Jace live. John is a fictional character that skews more to the good than not. Most of us would have started with the hatchet in Jace's head.

RIP Reed Strucker. He met the True Death like a man. I mean, Reva ain't dead, but a lot of her system is in shambles, and Esme not only follows her conscience, she forces Agent Liberty that talking head to confess to backing the Purifiers for years. Marcos and Lorna are a family with little Aurora Dawn.

And John was right about Clarice living . . . except that girl probably isn't the girl he knew. Well, at least she didn't die like a punk. Fuck it, maybe I'll get someone to sketch that Blink to go along with this one. And I'm hoping Jamie finds a better gig. I get the criticisms, but I can't help but like her.

Maybe The Gifted wouldn't have been as bland if Legion hadn't been made as an arthouse project, going over so many heads. Or maybe it would have looked better if Gotham (Fox's other comic-based series) didn't steer directly into the crazy.

"The Gifted: Hey, It Distracted Us From Furiously Debating Who Would Play Wolverine In The MCU." I'm open to better epitaphs.

• Love 4

That was a half decent series finale assuming this show isn't picked up for season 3, except that Jace has managed to regress after his baby steps towards nuance and is unfortunately still alive.

19 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The sad thing is that good people worked on this series. I went to The Gifted panel at NYCC last October. Everyone looked hopeful and confident of what they were doing. But all we really got was a big pile of mediocre with the occasional great moment, and those were offset by poorly-written characters. Of course John would let Jace live. John is a fictional character that skews more to the good than not. Most of us would have started with the hatchet in Jace's head.

Maybe The Gifted wouldn't have been as bland if Legion hadn't been made as an arthouse project, going over so many heads. Or maybe it would have looked better if Gotham (Fox's other comic-based series) didn't steer directly into the crazy.

"The Gifted: Hey, It Distracted Us From Furiously Debating Who Would Play Wolverine In The MCU." I'm open to better epitaphs.

I was surprised by how bad this show is considering that Matt Nix is an experienced showrunner. The show wasn't that great in season 1, but it was actively bad and meandering in season 2. It was actually a complete failure in terms of world building. You can't just add all of these new groups and factions without doing anything to explain who they are, what they believe, and what they want for mutants. You could reasonably surmise those details from what we saw of the Mutant Underground and the Morlocks.

When it came to Reeva, it was this jumbled mess. It's clear that she wanted a mutant country. However, the show was so fixated on demonstrating that Reeva was willing to do over the top big baller power moves that they didn't realize that half of her actions made no sense or actively undermined her stated goal. She attempted to destroy every organized mutant group that would or could have helped her organize a coordinated terror network. Furthermore, her smug clapback at Reed about building a country by force and with violence would have been gold had she not fucked up the things that allowed European countries to colonize the world, which is resources--weapons, troops, technology, systems, and organization. And her dumbass spent a season destroying that.

Furthermore, had she secretly embedded her operatives in other mutant underground and Morlock cells like they did with the Frosts she wouldn't have had to pointlessly murder so many people. She would have also have been able to incorporate all of the mutant prisoners that she set free. She might have been able to avoid the Morlock massacre had she succeeded in turning them to her point of view.

Finally, the reason she had to push the Morlocks out of the tunnels was for her terrorist acts. However, there was no security at Sentinel Services and that's just straight up stupid. There's no way that they could have arrived at the Pentagon and not been swarmed by guards. Also nearly every major government agency has satellite offices, which we know Sentinel Services does. Blowing up FBI headquarters, doesn't destroy the FBI. Also almost all of the server farms are in Silver Spring, which they failed to blow up.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, showme said:

Really? How do you know?

Is this the final episode of the season? Is this show cancelled?

It is on the bubble. And then there is the FOX/Disney deal and how much will go to the MCU or remain seperate so the possibility of a clean slate of mutants after the Dark Phoenix movie has its run to push towards cancellation.

• Love 1

So Reed is dead, and yet Jace is still alive. Truly, there is no justice in the world. 

As many weirdly dull and confusing terns this show has taken this season, I thought this was a pretty good finale. We had drama, we had action, we had a bit of snark, and we had at least a few villains taken down. I would be fine with a third season, and I would probably watch it (did Clarice end up in the Sentinel future? How are Marcos and Lorna as parents? Will Jace ever find a clue hidden underneath his pillow?) but if this is the season finale, I am pretty good with that as well. 

Reed probably had the best character development of the show, especially showing the flashbacks to him joining the mutant crimes division. He had a solid arc about coming to terms with himself and his history, and his feelings towards mutants. Its sad that he had to die, but he went out like a badass! Well, Reeva DID want that sweet Von Strucker power...

Also glad that Clarice is still alive, and that Esme had a bit of a redemption arc and joined the good guys. I would actually be interested in this group kicking ass and taking names, and dealing with whatever Clarice is doing. Too bad so much of this season was bogged down by stupid Jace being stupid and a lot of world world building and boring subplots and whatever the hell Reeva was trying to do.

Speaking of, have I mentioned lately how much I despise Jace? Because I do, I just cannot deal with that dickhead, and if he is still a major part of the next season, if that happens, I might not tune in just for that. I just cant deal with any more scenes of Jace dithering around like "maybe I should stop murdering innocent people BUT MAYBE NOT I AM THE GOOD GUY!!!!" over and over. He gets all upset that he is so obviously being manipulated by these obvious domestic terrorists into killing innocent children (because yeah, mass murders generally arent done by the good guys) then some minor thing will happen and get his panties in a bunch and he goes back to being the bigoted murderer that he is. Maybe next season, we can see him stepping on the dead bodies of mutant children all the while telling everyone what a great guy he really is, and thinking that just maybe this might not be on the up and up.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, showme said:

Really? How do you know [that Reva isn't dead]?

Wasn't that her on the hospital bed, all bandaged up?

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The portal that blink opened up had a lot of things on fire in the background.

That happens a lot with the X-Men. Also, it's a shame that this might be the last I see of this series (either by cancellation or moving to subscription services), and it was now that Clarice had the canon Blink Javelins. Oh, and "javelins" is the correct word; I thought those were considered too short, given my mental definition from track & field.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:
20 hours ago, showme said:

Really? How do you know [that Reva isn't dead]?

Wasn't that her on the hospital bed, all bandaged up?

No, that was Jace, I could tell by the Thunderbird fist sized dent in the side of his head.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, AnimeMania said:

No, that was Jace, I could tell by the Thunderbird fist sized dent in the side of his head.

Wow, I suck at paying attention. Also, that dent probably wasn't big or deep enough.

Well, I was wrong, no Strucker sibling deathmatch (I didn't post about the last episode), and Reva and Ryan didn't betray one another. The finale was good though.

I'm taking it Clarice is from an alternate present/reality/timeline given the background in her portal? 

And of all the things, Jace survived. Ugh!

SIde note, I kind of felt, the show couldn't juggle everything... Mutant Underground, The Strucker's: The Mini-Series, The Inner Circle, The Morlocks, The Purifiers... that's a lot of stuff work with, the season had some good and fun moments, but just couldn't manage and weave everything together well. And I recall the Hellfire Club at one time was something being considered for its own show, but after that didn't happen... I wonder if it was rolled into this?

• Love 1

I’d like to think that Jace is in a coma and on life support.  If this show doesn’t return, I’m going to assume he dies.  If this show does somehow come back, I’d like to think that TPTB will have seen all the negative reaction towards this awful character and terrible actor and get rid of him.

Reeva is definitely dead, she was disintegrated.  Curious about what happened to the two evil Frosts.

He might not be the world's greatest actor but no one could make Jace palatable to me at this point. I still like CB though, thanks to my fondness for his Burn Notice character and would like to see him in something else soon to erase any and all memories of Jace Turner.   

Maybe if a 3rd season Jace has major memory loss or brain damage, I could deal with him but any normalizing redemption would not set well. 

• Love 2
On 3/1/2019 at 1:43 AM, tessaray said:

He might not be the world's greatest actor but no one could make Jace palatable to me at this point. I still like CB though, thanks to my fondness for his Burn Notice character and would like to see him in something else soon to erase any and all memories of Jace Turner.   

He was decent on Third Watch.

• Love 2

I wasn't surprised that Blink had survived, but I thought she had been captured by the purifiers and turned over to sentinal services.  I also believe that Reed is still alive, he's just currently energy, but will eventually be reconsituted.  Of course, that is if the season returns.