Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E15: What I Saw

mxc90
  • Start Topic

In the first part of a crossover with "Chicago P.D.," a spate of robberies comes to light after a firehouse lockbox key goes missing. CPD's Voight has suspicions that a firefighter may be involved, and with Boden's support he recruits Cruz to go undercover and help sniff out any suspicious activity.

Grissom rolls with an motorcade (3 cars, maybe 8 people) and no one from that group is important to be in the CFD/CPD meeting? 

If 51 is a "tight/together" group, why can't they be trusted with Cruz' real assignment?

It's good to know the bottle of beer survived the fire and its journey to be chugged by Stella was carried out. No one asked him if he lost his clothes or personal items or is homeless?

Ambulance 61 jumped right in front of Truck 81 and was almost hit. One thing about this show I never understood: they leave the same house and most of the time they arrive from different directions.

When did Cruz become the key piece to Rescue? That's Severide's fault if the can't keep the operation in order. Too bad Cap was made to look stupid.

Cruz is the worst spy! Unable to blend/hide in the dark when the lights are off (got caught twice), makes a call right in front of the house, and drops his phone under pressure.

Should the people of 66 be insulted their house is the place where punished fire fighters are sent?

Still waiting for Cruz' F&F rankings.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 7

Tuesday the dog would have been a better undercover than Cruz. First he blabs to Leon, then he proceeds to get caught twice, dropped his phone when trying to hide, makes a call giving info in front of the firehouse. Did I miss anything? Severide needs to work on his leadership skills, he can't depend on one person to carry the team.  I'm guessing, Stella's date's apartment was not affected since the beer survived or maybe it's fire proof like Papa Halstead's was.

• Love 5

I actually fast forwarded through most of the episode as I just didn't care for it. Why would those guys want Cruz at their place as a new person? You aren't going to just start talking to a guy who is new and might go back to his house. Lame episode. 

Keith is a stalker I think. 

• Love 2

I’m so confused. So the key in the lockbox in the engine truck opens up every lockbox on a multiunit building? And the bad firefighter gives that key every single day to a thief who then gives it back? Seriously? Why don’t they just lean on an unscrupulous locksmith to make copies of the engine truck’s lock box key? And the bad firefighter that Cruz “caught” isn’t really bad so let’s get his wife some survivor benefits? Excuse me, he really was bad.

• Love 3
On 2/20/2019 at 10:13 PM, mxc90 said:

It's good to know the bottle of beer survived the fire and its journey to be chugged by Stella was carried out. No one asked him if he lost his clothes or personal items or is homeless?

When did Cruz become the key piece to Rescue? That's Severide's fault if the can't keep the operation in order. Too bad Cap was made to look stupid.

As for the beer, speaking as a homebrewer, since that beer was in a growler it was probably filled from a home draft system like a kegerator or something. As long as the kegerator wasn't in the room on fire that shouldn't be a problem. Although did they ever say what started the fire.

As for Cap and the sawzall, considering that Squad 3 is supposed to be an elite unit that handles all kinds of crazy rescues and events, would they really only bring one saw with no back up batteries?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Although did they ever say what started the fire.

I think the thieves started it either in the adjacent unit or the one above.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

As for Cap and the sawzall, considering that Squad 3 is supposed to be an elite unit that handles all kinds of crazy rescues and events, would they really only bring one saw with no back up batteries?

Cap had to yell to Severide about the no back up batteries in front of a large group. It's nice of the crowd to not leak that news to the press or make a complaint to Grissom's office. If the woman didn't bring her coffee, what was plan B?

On 2/21/2019 at 2:13 PM, mxc90 said:

Grissom rolls with an motorcade (3 cars, maybe 8 people) and no one from that group is important to be in the CFD/CPD meeting? 

If 51 is a "tight/together" group, why can't they be trusted with Cruz' real assignment?

Ambulance 61 jumped right in front of Truck 81 and was almost hit. One thing about this show I never understood: they leave the same house and most of the time they arrive from different directions.

Cruz is the worst spy! Unable to blend/hide in the dark when the lights are off (got caught twice), makes a call right in front of the house, and drops his phone under pressure.

Should the people of 66 be insulted their house is the place where punished fire fighters are sent?

Still waiting for Cruz' F&F rankings.

I totally agree. It was a really weak ep even for this show. Would they really have a fire fighter play detective? Should the 66 people be upset that they were placed under investigation by a fire man? Is Cruz the only one who does anything at the fire house, nothing seemed to work once he was gone? - They didn't even have any dinner ready that night as it was Cruz' turn to cook!

The footage he recorded only showed someone walking to a car. Surely the firehouse has CCTV that would record the same vague images and from better angles?

• Love 2

I think they said it was an electrical fire in the high rise.  Since the thieves had a key I don’t know how they would have started it.  Maybe it was just coincidence.  

I don’t watch Chicago PD so my DVR stopped recording when Suggs was attacking Cruz.  How was that resolved?

It continued directly into PD without any obvious cut.  In fact, I thought my recording cut off early at first, because the scene just continued smoothly on.  So if you want to see what happens, you can just watch the PD episode.  Or at least the beginning.  There are a couple things that I at least didn't see coming until they developed the story more.

And for those complaining about them sending a firefighter undercover--they can't send anyone who isn't a firefighter.  Not only is it easy to check if someone really is, when they went on calls, it would be immediately obvious if he wasn't actually trained to do the job, and put at risk the lives of the people who need help on calls if they are sending in someone without the right training and experience.

• Love 5
On 2/20/2019 at 10:13 PM, mxc90 said:

Happens pretty well everywhere. There are some quiet houses for both PD and FD in every big city; places that only see a few runs per week and guys who are past their sell-by dates but are still functional can wait for their retirement. That engine had definitely seen better days, though, but the house was nice. 

One thing about Cruz and the LT at 66. When he got read the riot act after listening in on the phone call, the next words out of his mouth should have been along the lines of "that's terrible to hear, lt., and if there's anything me or the guys from 51 can do, just say the word and we'll be there for you. I may be new to this house but know that I got your back."

On 2/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Definitely showed the disparity in firehouses in various neighborhoods. 66 looked ancient and run down, while 51 is modern. Old firehouses are cool, but this one was made to look almost neglected. 

I liked 66, and I've always had a thing for old houses, personally. New and sterile vs. old and lived in. Feel the spirit of the guys who served before you, the jobs they worked, the saves they made. So long as the building is safe, I'd take an old house over a new one.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:44 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

I’m so confused. So the key in the lockbox in the engine truck opens up every lockbox on a multiunit building? And the bad firefighter gives that key every single day to a thief who then gives it back? Seriously? Why don’t they just lean on an unscrupulous locksmith to make copies of the engine truck’s lock box key?

Those key blanks are not available to anybody, scrupulous or not. Key control is serious business. Even for my own house, there are only a handful of shops in the state that can make a key to my doors, and I have to present a cutting card for every one. Blanks are strictly controlled and every one must be fully accounted for. Knox box keys are insanely heavily protected. Key containers on the rigs are PIN protected, and only the apparatus officers on duty have the pin. The box on the truck has electronic logging to audit key access times, dates, and personnel. This just would not happen on a major department. Nice try, writers.

https://www.knoxbox.com/fire-departments/

• Love 5
On 2/25/2019 at 7:11 AM, Ailianna said:

It continued directly into PD without any obvious cut.  In fact, I thought my recording cut off early at first, because the scene just continued smoothly on.  So if you want to see what happens, you can just watch the PD episode.  Or at least the beginning.  There are a couple things that I at least didn't see coming until they developed the story more.

And for those complaining about them sending a firefighter undercover--they can't send anyone who isn't a firefighter.  Not only is it easy to check if someone really is, when they went on calls, it would be immediately obvious if he wasn't actually trained to do the job, and put at risk the lives of the people who need help on calls if they are sending in someone without the right training and experience.

That's perfectly understandable. But it's also a risk when you plant a firefighter into a house to investigate, with absolutely no experience snooping. He was so blatantly obvious. Like walking closer and closer to the Lieutenant as he's on his phone call, with no effort made to conceal himself. And then recording Calvin while not making a good effort to conceal himself, and dropping his phone. Who knows, but maybe if he had done a better job at concealing himself while recording, and not tipped Calvin off that he was on to him, Calvin might still be alive. Instead, he panicked and tried to abruptly end an agreement with an unreasonable gang leader, who shot him in the head.

• Love 4

Definitely not saying Cruz is good at undercover, becuase he isn't.  However, the people I was responding to were making comments that seemed to indicate they thought it should have been a cop, or someone from intelligence.  And that would have been a worse giveaway than Cruz's clumsiness as an undercover.

• Love 1
On 2/26/2019 at 12:11 AM, Ailianna said:

At the same time though Cruz nearly got his butt kicked big time due to his sloppy detective skills. He was really bad at what he was doing. So maybe they couldn't send an actual cop but they really shouldn't have sent a firefighter either. Unless they gave the firefighter some basic training in how to be a detective because Cruz was hardly subtle.

• Love 2