Type keyword(s) to search

S38: Wendy Diaz

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Meet Wendy

Hometown: Los Angeles

Current Residence: Bell, California

Personal Claim to Fame: Starting my own business from the ground up. 

Hobbies: Swimming, rock climbing, anything active, karaoke and getting into shenanigans!

Pet Peeves: I cannot stand when people don’t carry their weight. I also hate quitters! Find a way to get something done! Don’t just give up when the going gets tough.

If You Could Have 3 Things on the Island What Would They Be and Why? I would definitely need to take a small jar of Vaseline, my lips get dry! Hair ties: I cannot stand when my hair is in my face! I need it up to win challenges. Last but not least, I really want to take Scruffy. Okay context time: I have a stuffed animal that I have had for 20 years and I have never slept without him even to this day. My sister and BF insist I don’t take him because what if I get him sandy or ruin him. I’m conflicted.

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: I am a hybrid of many players! I think I would play the game like Sandra, I would be the second ‘Diaz’ to win! But my attitude towards people would be more like Tai. He is just so full of life and I love his outlooks on things.

I went into this not expecting to like her, but she emerged as one of my big favorites after last night.  Which means I've jinxed her lol, but looking at her place on the tribe, she's not in a good place.  Not sure why exactly she became such an outcast, unless it wasn't following the cool kids around in their clique and bowing down to Wentworth and Wardog.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Not sure why exactly she became such an outcast, unless it wasn't following the cool kids around in their clique and bowing down to Wentworth and Wardog.

I mean, that was definitely it lol. Add in the fact that she associated herself with the most hated member of the tribe, she's Latina, and she has Torette's and she was just full-on doomed.

I really like her and I hope she can find a way to survive for a bit at least. I think the only was she does though is if her tribe wins the next IC. If they lose, she's almost certainly gone. If they don't though, the time might allow someone else to become more annoying and threatening. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I mean, that was definitely it lol. Add in the fact that she associated herself with the most hated member of the tribe, she's Latina, and she has Torette's and she was just full-on doomed.

I really like her and I hope she can find a way to survive for a bit at least. I think the only was she does though is if her tribe wins the next IC. If they lose, she's almost certainly gone. If they don't though, the time might allow someone else to become more annoying and threatening. 

Not to mention the other outcast is the young black kid who can't swim-welcome to Survivor!  It just seems so stupid that the big group ganged up on her and Keith over Reem, and them going off and helping him with his swimming.  Now, I know with editing there's more to it than that, but I'm really glad they showed a sweet moment between 3 castaways, and immediately cut to the cool kids saying they had to go because they might be an alliance (an alliance of 3 against the other 7).  That moment didn't make many fans of the rest of the blue tribe elsewhere online.  

The one thing that might save her is Keith.  Obviously there are going to be swimming challenges, and if they lose another challenge, they may cut him first since he can't swim that well.  I can't argue with Keith being the weak link in the water challenges, but again, after the first IC, I can't say there aren't other weak links on that tribe.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

It just seems so stupid that the big group ganged up on her and Keith over Reem, and them going off and helping him with his swimming. 

Not trying to be contrary, but - what’s stupid about it?  

1. You’re in a tribe and there’s a 50% chance (pre-IC) your tribe is going to TC.
  2. A small (three people) group breaks off from the main group and re-congregates in the surf off the beach, in plain sight of the larger main group.
  3. If you don’t want your name getting whispered around camp - or worse, bandied around the TC firepit immediately prior to voting - what do you do?  Throw somebody else’s name out there, of course.
  4. So you point at the 3-person surfing safari and say, “Hey y’all - what do you think THEY’RE up to out there?”

Is your accusation justified?  Probably not.

Is it “fair”?  Again - probably not, depending upon your interpretation of “fair” in an elimination reality show.

Is it a normal part of playing Survivor?  Oh, fuck yeah.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Nashville said:

1. You’re in a tribe and there’s a 50% chance (pre-IC) your tribe is going to TC.
  2. A small (three people) group breaks off from the main group and re-congregates in the surf off the beach, in plain sight of the larger main group.
  3. If you don’t want your name getting whispered around camp - or worse, bandied around the TC firepit immediately prior to voting - what do you do?  Throw somebody else’s name out there, of course.
  4. So you point at the 3-person surfing safari and say, “Hey y’all - what do you think THEY’RE up to out there?”

Is it “fair”?  Again - probably not, depending upon your interpretation of “fair” in an elimination reality show.

I think it comes down to the cool kids clique just automatically ostracizing the typical outcasts.  Now I know it is likely just a coincidence that the 3 who went off on their own happened to be the the older women, the Latina with tourettes, and the black man.  But they just say them swimming and said 'hey, they're plotting against us!'  I mean really?  Everyone just jumped on that bandwagon too quick for my liking.  

Then again, I dislike the remaining members of the cool kids clique on the blue tribe, so I'm looking at it through those lenses 🙂  I can tell this is going to be a rage filled season for me already when it comes to that tribe at least.  Good times!  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I totally agree.  Plus, while I loved the swimming lesson, the 3 of them WERE in an alliance and were planning on voting as a unit, until Keith saw they didn't have the numbers and wisely abandoned ship, mid strategy session.  

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I think it comes down to the cool kids clique just automatically ostracizing the typical outcasts.  Now I know it is likely just a coincidence that the 3 who went off on their own happened to be the the older women, the Latina with tourettes, and the black man.  But they just say them swimming and said 'hey, they're plotting against us!'  I mean really?  Everyone just jumped on that bandwagon too quick for my liking.  

Then again, I dislike the remaining members of the cool kids clique on the blue tribe, so I'm looking at it through those lenses 🙂  I can tell this is going to be a rage filled season for me already when it comes to that tribe at least.  Good times!  

I keep hearing all this "cool kids" talk.

Is David Wright a "cool kid".  Is the goofy news anchor?

If Reem, Wendy and Keith had tried, they might have been able to create a "nerd alliance", with David and Ron Burgundy to pick off the real "cool kids" (Kelley, Lauren, Chris and Wardog)  

Just because people end up on the wrong side of the numbers, it doesn't mean they were ostracized.  

Reem messed with people's stuff (which Survivor veterans have said is a huge no no), was annoying and the 3 of them hung out together too much, giving the impression (probably correct) that they were an alliance.    

At the first vote, everyone is looking for some reason to target someone else, since nobody really knows where they stand. 

Reem wanted to break up Kelley and Lauren because she claimed they were a "power couple".  How much more dangerous is a power trio?  Reem and the other 2 made some mistakes that put the target on their backs, especially Reem's.

• Love 3

I liked Wendy in the first episode.  I hope she sticks around.  She might not be doomed.  Her connection to Reem and to a lesser extent, Keith, was what was pulling her down.  

I don't think the 7 that voted for her and Reem are a solid alliance.  They saw a threesome that made itself vulnerable and all banded together to make sure they weren't the ones voted out.   

All kinds of things can happen, the Ginobili tribe could win a couple of immunity challenges, giving her more time.  New relationships and rivalries could form, putting her in a stronger alliance or the target on other players' backs.   

She might be able to spin her loyalty to Reem as a positive.  "I was loyal to her and I will be just as loyal to you guys."  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I keep hearing all this "cool kids" talk.

Is David Wright a "cool kid".  Is the goofy news anchor?

If Reem, Wendy and Keith had tried, they might have been able to create a "nerd alliance", with David and Ron Burgundy to pick off the real "cool kids" (Kelley, Lauren, Chris and Wardog)  

Just because people end up on the wrong side of the numbers, it doesn't mean they were ostracized.  

Reem messed with people's stuff (which Survivor veterans have said is a huge no no), was annoying and the 3 of them hung out together too much, giving the impression (probably correct) that they were an alliance.    

At the first vote, everyone is looking for some reason to target someone else, since nobody really knows where they stand. 

Reem wanted to break up Kelley and Lauren because she claimed they were a "power couple".  How much more dangerous is a power trio?  Reem and the other 2 made some mistakes that put the target on their backs, especially Reem's.

Well, even the cool kids at Bayside High allowed nerdy Screech into their clique 😉  This does bring up an interesting point though, and something I've seen discussed in the episode thread-did Reem know she was that on the outs until TC?  And better yet, did Keith or Wendy know?  Were they ever approached that people thought they were a trio, rather than just trying to do a good deed and help Keith work on his swimming skills?  It seemed like people just say them as easy targets for being off together, and Reem for being annoying/allegedly weak (I still think that's debatable).  As others pointed out, Reem seemed surprised that everyone had an issue with touching their stuff.  It seemed like she was just genuinely trying to be nice, and not a mom that was picking up after her messy kids.  But as others pointed out, why didn't someone just say something to her?  

As to the point about Reem pointing out the duo of Kelley/Lauren-she should have tried to make a point that Kelley is a returning player, and in past seasons that they are a bigger threat the longer they stay in the game, because people do blindly follow them.  It would have likely gotten her no where, but she could have at least tried.  In addition, she should have made the same case for David so it looked like she wasn't just picking on Wentworth.

And to another point, we'll see if Wendy and Keith really are on the outs or not.  I still think Keith might be seen as an easy out because he's a challenge liability in swimming challenges, but I have yet to see Wendy be weak.  So we'll see what next week brings.  I'm hoping for Ron Burgundy, Wentworth, or Wardog to go.  

13 hours ago, violet and green said:

I really really like her. So she's toast! I'm impressed she likes rock-climbing, swimming, and 'anything active' - can't wait for Warthog to declare her the 'weakest member of the tribe'.

She might not be toast.  It is common for people who have been on the chopping block in episode 1 to either fall off the radar or work their way into the majority alliance.  I don't think the 6 plus Keith who split the votes between her and Reem are a real alliance.  They were just a bunch of "anybody but me's" who saw a way to stay safe for at least 1 TC.

I like her too.  I was listening to Rob and Arisa Cox (who did pre-game interviews with all the castaways and was present for the first TC.  She said that Wendy was very open about her Tourette's, but not at all "victimy" about it, and I think that might be part of what is so likable about her.

She also brought up the idea that she might get labeled a threat because of the "sympathy vote" (which I believe helped Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster win Survivor).  They brought up Na'onka targeting Kelly Bruno because of her "fake leg".   I hope this doesn't happen to Wendy, especially because NOBODY has ever won based upon the "sympathy vote".   

BTW, Cox surprisingly said that she thought Reem got a kind edit at TC.  If that is true, I can only imagine how bad she was in the unedited version.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

She also brought up the idea that she might get labeled a threat because of the "sympathy vote" (which I believe helped Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster win Survivor).  They brought up Na'onka targeting Kelly Bruno because of her "fake leg".   I hope this doesn't happen to Wendy, especially because NOBODY has ever won based upon the "sympathy vote".  

I don't see that being the reason, but I think she'll almost certainly go next if her tribe loses simply because she didn't easily fall in line with the majority the first vote and because I suspect she'll be decided to be the next 'annoying' person.

4 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I don't see that being the reason, but I think she'll almost certainly go next if her tribe loses simply because she didn't easily fall in line with the majority the first vote and because I suspect she'll be decided to be the next 'annoying' person.

That is possible.  But, it is also possible that new disputes and/or perceived threats could arise in the tribe and put Wendy in a better position.  Remember, Nick was about to be voted out first, last season.

Just now, Bryce Lynch said:

That is possible.  But, it is also possible that new disputes and/or perceived threats could arise in the tribe and put Wendy in a better position.  Remember, Nick was about to be voted out first, last season.

I think if they win the next TC then she might not be the next immediate target, but if they lose the next one I just think it'll be too soon for anything to have really changed. And, with Nick, he did have an ally in Christian early on, I believe, which likely helped. Wendy has no one right now. Keith obviously isn't willing to stick his neck out for her.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

[Wendy] might not be toast.  It is common for people who have been on the chopping block in episode 1 to either fall off the radar or work their way into the majority alliance. 

Actually, Wendy should be the safest person in her tribe after Reem’s eviction at this past TC.  

Wendy was framed (justifiably or not) as being in a three-person alliance with Keith and Reem; with Keith’s immediate “defection” and Reem’s subsequent eviction, though, Wendy will be viewed as a powerless solo.  This means (a) Wendy poses no credible threat to anybody and (b) somebody else is almost certainly bound to present as a higher-profile target before the tribe’s next TC. 

• Love 2

I could see her being voted out just for not fitting in, though. She's got kind of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl schtick going on, which is entertaining as hell, to me, for one hour a week, safe in my living room, but talking to her in real life could well be exhausting.

On RHAP's  The Wiggle Room, with Josh Wiggler, Josh mentioned that at the first TC when The Warthog asked to be called Wardog and Rick convinced Jeff to call him Devens, Wendy asked to be called "Big Wendy".  Jeff refused saying there were too many nicknames already.  

(edited)
On 2/22/2019 at 9:04 PM, LadyChatts said:

Well, even the cool kids at Bayside High allowed nerdy Screech into their clique 😉  This does bring up an interesting point though, and something I've seen discussed in the episode thread-did Reem know she was that on the outs until TC?  And better yet, did Keith or Wendy know?  Were they ever approached that people thought they were a trio, rather than just trying to do a good deed and help Keith work on his swimming skills?  It seemed like people just say them as easy targets for being off together, and Reem for being annoying/allegedly weak (I still think that's debatable).  As others pointed out, Reem seemed surprised that everyone had an issue with touching their stuff.  It seemed like she was just genuinely trying to be nice, and not a mom that was picking up after her messy kids.  But as others pointed out, why didn't someone just say something to her?  

As to the point about Reem pointing out the duo of Kelley/Lauren-she should have tried to make a point that Kelley is a returning player, and in past seasons that they are a bigger threat the longer they stay in the game, because people do blindly follow them.  It would have likely gotten her no where, but she could have at least tried.  In addition, she should have made the same case for David so it looked like she wasn't just picking on Wentworth.

And to another point, we'll see if Wendy and Keith really are on the outs or not.  I still think Keith might be seen as an easy out because he's a challenge liability in swimming challenges, but I have yet to see Wendy be weak.  So we'll see what next week brings.  I'm hoping for Ron Burgundy, Wentworth, or Wardog to go.  

As far as the challenge liability goes, I seem to recall that swimming challenges are kind of rare. My memory tells me that very few seasons have more than two swimming challenges. Of course, I could easily be wrong about that. Also, this season could always be an exception and it could have a bunch more swimming challenges. You never can be certain about those kinds of things. But, at the risk of breaking the trend by speaking about it, I would guess we will not see many more swimming challenges - or if we do - there will only be maybe one or two. So I doubt that swimming  challenges will be much of a factor. But, I suppose anything could happen.

Edited by MisterBluxom

Well, I am now completely anti-Wendy now.

She is one of the worst types of human beings there are.  A hypocritical, self-righteous, thieving tyrant, who forces other people to starve because of her fake "compassion".

• Love 5
(edited)

I think she's hilarious. One of the more entertaining characters this season. I do wish it felt less like she was putting on a show though. Everything she did in this ep was so, "I want that screen time, baby!"

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4
(edited)

I actually agree with the poster in the episode thread who said Wendy is auditioning for the Sia prize.  She knows she’s on the bottom of the barrel, so might as well make her mark now.  She was super annoying about the chickens (especially trying to get Rick to do her dirty work), but I was impressed how strong she was in the IC despite her injury.  I'm curious if that’ll hinder her down the road.

I did laugh when Wendy was all smiles and laughs at TC, and then we cut to a shot of Wentworth who looked ready to murder someone.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
(edited)

Here's a clip she's referencing on her twitter tirade about her tribe (I know this was posted in the episode thread, but I'm posting it here as well(:

Now I'm glad she hid the flint, and I hope she frees the chickens just because these guys deserve it.  Go big Big Wendy!

I really wish Chris had just kept his mouth shut, so Wentworth would have been booted, and Wardog and Lauren would have sat their with flabbergasted looks on their faces.  And I hope Wentworth blindsides her two minions, Lauren and especially Wardog.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

And I hope Wentworth blindsides her two minions, Lauren and especially Wardog.

I want Kelley to blindside Wardog so very badly.

Damn, those tweets! Wendy is a great reality tv character. I hope she continues to wreak havoc on this season lol.

• Love 4
On 2/22/2019 at 10:46 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I thought maybe she was Filipina.  A lot of Filipino people have Spanish surnames.

• Love 1

I’m gonna miss Big Wendy.  That 2nd TC was a dud.  All that build up, suspense, and god awful whispering amongst players, only for Wendy’s nine lives to finally run out.

I did think it was adorable how she looked when she was spared the first vote.  She really wasn’t that good at the game, from a social or strategic point (I thought she doomed herself to Victoria and Aubry when she wouldn’t commit to voting off Eric).  But I enjoyed her energetic presence while she was there.  Old Manu is just a miserable bunch so she was a bright spot.  

I’m glad Jeff at least gave her a Big Wendy for the road.  I laughed when the chicken emancipator then said she was gonna go eat a cheeseburger.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I’m glad Jeff at least gave her a Big Wendy for the road.  I laughed when the chicken emancipator then said she was gonna go eat a cheeseburger.  

For god’s sake, then, don’t let Wendy pet the cow first. 😉

• LOL 2

If Dan is a wardog, Wendy always looked like a eager little puppy to me -- I mean her facial expressions always made her look full of innocent wonder and eager to please.  I find that a little off-putting in an adult woman, but YMMV.  I did love how JP let her hug him, but then say, "OK, get outta here."  Like some curmudgeonly uncle.

• Love 4
On 3/21/2019 at 4:33 AM, LadyChatts said:

SCENE: Sia's house.  Sia is watching Survivor on her enormous TV.

PROBST: The sixth person voted out of Survivor: Edge of Extinction... Wendy.
SIA: Nooo! Wendy!  **starts writing a check**
PROBST: Big Wendy, the tribe has spoken. SNUFF. Time for you to go.
SIA: I'll make it better, Big Wendy!
WENDY: I'm going to eat a cheeseburger!
SIA: AAAAAAAAARGH!  *sobs* *Tears up check*

Eight months later, Big Wendy takes her whole tribe to Chick-Fil-A

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 2/11/2019 at 8:06 AM, Whimsy said:

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: I am a hybrid of many players! I think I would play the game like Sandra, I would be the second ‘Diaz’ to win! But my attitude towards people would be more like Tai. He is just so full of life and I love his outlooks on things.

Damn, she nailed that. That's exactly who I thought of when she would do things. 'Course, she's not the Jedi Badass Queen Diaz-Twine is, but she's got the say whatever is on her mind and let the chips fall where they may part down.

Who knew there could ever even BE a Tai/Sandra combo when they're such polar opposites?

• LOL 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, SnarkKitty said:

Damn, she nailed that. That's exactly who I thought of when she would do things. 'Course, she's not the Jedi Badass Queen Diaz-Twine is, but she's got the say whatever is on her mind and let the chips fall where they may part down.

Who knew there could ever even BE a Tai/Sandra combo when they're such polar opposites?

I don't think she was like either of those players.  Sandra was a Survivor genius.  Wendy was in the bottom 5% of players all time.

Tai genuinely cared about Mark the Chicken, unlike Cheesburger Wendy who wanted to make a spectacle of herself with the chicken.  The only similarity I see with Tai, is that both of them were a bit unpredictable.  But, with Tai, from what I recall, it was because he genuinely became torn about which way to go.  Wendy just liked to do random crap to get attention and airtime. 

Tai was also an idol finding machine, with some good survival skills, who finished 3rd and 4th.   Wendy finished tied for last place with Keith when they both quit.   To me, Wendy was more like a less mean, quirkier, less strategic version of Na'onka.   

I could also see her a bit like a Shirin, a deliberately annoying misfit.    

Edited by Bryce Lynch
3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't think she was like either of those players.  Sandra was a Survivor genius.  Wendy was in the bottom 5% of players all time.

Tai genuinely cared about Mark the Chicken, unlike Cheesburger Wendy who wanted to make a spectacle of herself with the chicken.  The only similarity I see with Tai, is that both of them were a bit unpredictable.  But, with Tai, from what I recall, it was because he genuinely became torn about which way to go.  Wendy just liked to do random crap to get attention and airtime. 

Tai was also an idol finding machine, with some good survival skills, who finished 3rd and 4th.   Wendy finished tied for last place with Keith when they both quit.   To me, Wendy was more like a less mean, quirkier, less strategic version of Na'onka.   

I could also see her a bit like a Shirin, a deliberately annoying misfit.    

I'm aware: 

Course, she's not the

Jedi Badass Queen Diaz-Twine is,

I believe she did care about the chickens, but in any event my comment was based more on their personas, not gameplay.

• Love 1