Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Legends of the Fortieth

Louis is obsessed with the great outdoors after seeing "Legends of the Fall" so for his 40th birthday, he decides that the family needs to go camping. Horrified, the kids try to convince him otherwise. Meanwhile, Honey gives Jessica tips about the best gift to give Louis on his milestone birthday.

Original air date: 1/25/19

Although I really enjoy the scenes when Louis and the boys are together, I am kind of at the end of my patience with Jessica.  She truly is awful to her friends and family (stealing Marvin's gift, etc.).  The writers have put her into such a corner that I don't know how they could "lessen" her character traits.  

• Love 10
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Although I really enjoy the scenes when Louis and the boys are together, I am kind of at the end of my patience with Jessica.  She truly is awful to her friends and family (stealing Marvin's gift, etc.).  The writers have put her into such a corner that I don't know how they could "lessen" her character traits.  

I found her antics amusing when the show first started.  They made her character interesting, and unique, even if I wouldn't want to deal with her in real life.  As time goes on though, I agree they are starting to wear thin.  Like you say, they've kind of painted themselves into a corner by now.  They could try to introduce some "growth" to her character, but I don't know...  She did give the axe back, after all - but that may have just been because she got caught.

• Love 4

I laughed when Jessica used the "mom abandoned the family in the movie" storyline as an excuse not to go camping. In the real world, sure, you should support what your spouse wants to do to celebrate their birthday but as a sitcom, I was fine with it. I also cracked up at how everyone but Louis thought Legends of the Fall was super depressing. It was beautifully shot but in retrospect, I can see how bleak it is. EVERYONE DIES.

• Love 9

Jessica has really gotten stuck with that sitcom trope of taking one trait about a character that was funny, and taking it over the top by a million points. So now instead of being funny in a sitcom-y but also human kind of way, Jessica comes off as so awful so often, its amazing that even her own family can deal with her. And its weird, because I didnt really do that with the other characters, they even dialed Evan back when he was getting to be too much, but with Jessica, but they just took everything that was already over the top about her, and turned it up to eleven.

On the other hand, Jessica moving the boats during battle ship made me laugh. And I love that everyone else thought that Legends of the Fall was unbelievably depressing, and the boys were all crying. They arent wrong. Everybody dies! And Louis trying to teach the kids to dance, while they all just watch in confusion! I do like when Louis gets to have a plot with all of the boys, he just gets so excited about everything!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I guess I’d forgotten just how big the age gap is between Honey and Marvin, or was thinking it was more like 20-some years. Because when Jessica asked Honey what she got Marvin for his 40th and she said “I was 8”, I kinda thought “ew”. 

• Love 10

I loved that Evan was the worst dancer since he usually excels at everything. I was sure that Eddie and Emery were going to point out that he was not as good as they were, so I was surprised that neither of them said anything about it. I guess they were too focused on their dad to have time for some sibling teasing. 

• Love 4

I'm on board with the "WTF did they do to Jessica?" She was such a wonderful break-out character in the beginning. I'm pretty sure with her lack of ethics and tendency to blame everyone else, she'll wind up in jail for a long stretch. Or politics.

I thought Louis looked pretty cute with long hair and his "Legends of the Fall" outfit. His cha cha king moves were fun, too. (OK, I'm old and uncool.)

• Love 6

One thing bugs me a little. It’s the late ‘90s and Louis is turning 40 - just as I did then. But college flashbacks make it look like he went to college in the mid-to-late ‘80s (the era of skinny ties, shoulder pads, etc.). But if Louis is around my age, he should have been in college in the late ‘70s - very early ‘80s before what we now think of as ‘80s style showed up. (Which reminds me, boards discussing The Americans had lots of people asking why in the early episodes - 1981 or so - they were dressed more like the ‘70s. Where were the big hair and shoulder pads?! Those of us who were around at that time knew this is why.)

• Love 2

Did I mishear, or did Evan say that the hypotenuse is the longest side of a triangle?  Poor form, Evan, you and I both know that the hypotenuse is only the longest side of a right triangle.  I expect better from you.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Did I mishear, or did Evan say that the hypotenuse is the longest side of a triangle?  Poor form, Evan, you and I both know that the hypotenuse is only the longest side of a right triangle.  I expect better from you.

Wow! All the character work and then they had Evan make a mistake like that. 

• Love 1
On 1/27/2019 at 6:24 PM, Ms Lark said:

Louis looked pretty cute with long hair and his "Legends of the Fall" outfit. His cha cha king moves were fun, too.

I agree! It was nice to see him in something besides his Cattleman's work clothes and his regular clothes at home. He looked great in book the Legends of the Fall look (the long flowing blonde hair had me cracking up) and he looked great in that black cha cha outfit!

• Love 3

I thought this was a decent episode. 

Stealing the axe was bad, but Jessica was alright for the rest of it.  Her attempts to follow that book was amusing.

The boys have been funnier in these last two episodes as well.  The actor who plays Louis does have good dance moves.  

I never watched "Legends of the Fall" though I remember seeing ads for it and everyone seemed to be focused on Brad Pitt with long hair and no shirt.  

Edited by Camera One