Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Meeting Marvelously

• Start Topic

I'm cross-posting this in multiple threads, apologies, but I think it's that important:

Tom Colicchio is out front in publicizing that the need to feed our nation's children during the COVID-19 crisis is even more critical than it quietly is every "normal" day. With schools closing because of the pandemic, millions of kids in the U.S. will lose their primary source of nutrition. https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/2174246/coronavirus-children-school-lunch/

Not only that, millions of people, especially in the service industry, are going to lose their incomes and may be faced with going hungry.

If you can afford to, please donate to your local food bank. You can save lives with a $5 donation.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Recently my sister was reminiscing about when she was 5 years old in the 1950s and I was 2 and my mom would leave us alone while we were supposed to be napping so Mom could go get coffee with the neighbor.
I think bad parenting was par for the course back then. 

Yes, the carefree era of free range children.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Daff said:

Yes, the carefree era of free range children.

I had thought that "free-range parenting" was a 21st century thing (google.com/books/edition/Free_Range_Kids_Giving_Our_Children_the/krE1y1SC3uEC, 2009) but, no:

Benjamin Spock authored a book called The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care. The book, which was released in 1946 and soon became a best seller, encouraged free-range parenting with the hopes of implementing Freudian philosophy into child-rearing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-range_parenting#Overview

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

The concept of free-range kids is completely foreign to me. I was born in 1950, and my mother would never, ever, in a gazillion years, have left me alone when I was very young. But then she didn't read Spock either.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The concept of free-range kids is completely foreign to me. I was born in 1950, and my mother would never, ever, in a gazillion years, have left me alone when I was very young. But then she didn't read Spock either.

I suppose it would depend upon where you grew up. From age 9, I came home from school to an empty house in a relatively new suburban development (think path through the corn field to walk to the grocery store). Paved roads, but no sidewalks or curbs. The neighbors were there, I had chores to do before I could go out to play, but I was expected to start dinner. On longer breaks, I was dropped at my grandmother’s in a small village: library, playgrounds (with a summer rec program), sidewalks and curbs, banks, grocery, dry goods, and drug stores. I had to come home at the noon siren for lunch, was fed dinner at 5, and had to come in for a bath when the street lights came on. Otherwise, I and every other kid were left to our own devices to entertain ourselves. Some kids had younger siblings to keep track of (and were forever slowing us down). Either place, we played croquet, kickball, hide and seek, badminton, and even invented games (mostly to avoid broken windows). We even played Jarts- for many years. No one (kid or adult) gave a thought that they might be dangerous. There were so many bicycles, scooters, pump carts, pedal cars, wagons and roller skates that one or another neighbor would have to yell down the neighborhood to move the lot so they could back the car out.  There was a skating pond in the woods behind the bowling alley and any number of sledding hills. We kept ourselves busy and (mostly) out of trouble all day long.

• Love 1

I grew up in a small town. My mom didn't go to work until I was a teenager. But she would never have left me at home alone at ages 7 or younger. I was out and about playing or riding my bike, visiting friends, but she always knew where I was.

About free range parenting:

19 hours ago, Crs97 said:

In fairness, she’s been shown to be an absent parent since the first season.

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Recently my sister was reminiscing about when she was 5 years old in the 1950s and I was 2 and my mom would leave us alone while we were supposed to be napping so Mom could go get coffee with the neighbor.
I think bad parenting was par for the course back then. 

7 hours ago, Daff said:

I do remember quipping about FR kids of the 50s and 60s in a previous season discussion. I was one of those, too.

6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

2 hours ago, Daff said:

I suppose it would depend upon where you grew up. From age 9, I came home from school to an empty house in a relatively new suburban development (think path through the corn field to walk to the grocery store). Paved roads, but no sidewalks or curbs. The neighbors were there, I had chores to do before I could go out to play, but I was expected to start dinner. On longer breaks, I was dropped at my grandmother’s in a small village: library, playgrounds (with a summer rec program), sidewalks and curbs, banks, grocery, dry goods, and drug stores. I had to come home at the noon siren for lunch, was fed dinner at 5, and had to come in for a bath when the street lights came on. Otherwise, I and every other kid were left to our own devices to entertain ourselves. Some kids had younger siblings to keep track of (and were forever slowing us down). Either place, we played croquet, kickball, hide and seek, badminton, and even invented games (mostly to avoid broken windows). We even played Jarts- for many years. No one (kid or adult) gave a thought that they might be dangerous. There were so many bicycles, scooters, pump carts, pedal cars, wagons and roller skates that one or another neighbor would have to yell down the neighborhood to move the lot so they could back the car out.  There was a skating pond in the woods behind the bowling alley and any number of sledding hills. We kept ourselves busy and (mostly) out of trouble all day long.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I grew up in a small town. My mom didn't go to work until I was a teenager. But she would never have left me at home alone at ages 7 or younger. I was out and about playing or riding my bike, visiting friends, but she always knew where I was.

All of the above were posted on the S05.E02: It's a Man, Man, Man, Man World thread.
Snipping for my response:

2 hours ago, Daff said:

...I came home from school to an empty house in a relatively new suburban development...Paved roads, but no sidewalks or curbs....Some kids had younger siblings to keep track of (and were forever slowing us down)....There was a skating pond in the woods...We kept ourselves busy and (mostly) out of trouble all day long.

From ages 4-8, the parts snipped above mirror mine, but I was a "younger sibling" who experienced abuse orchestrated by an older girl, in hind-sight likely designed to make me run away and/or not accompany my sister in the future. 
Eventually I did wind up staying home alone a lot, although I could not explain why. 
I don't know if my mother ever read Spock. Probably not.
But her mother had taken complete care of my older sister in Newark NJ before dying of cancer. Then we moved to the post-WWII suburbs where I was born. So my mother was mostly just clueless and overwhelmed. Suddenly she had 2 small children with no idea about parenting, and lived in a place where green yards separated neighbors who may or may not have known any better. 

• Mind Blown 1

I don't think it was "bad parenting", it was just parenting.  I different time.  My Mother couldn't see us when we played outside, but she could see other kids, and she knew other Moms could see us.  The entire neighborhood kept their eyes out for all of the kids.  It's different now a days for many reasons.  We turned out fine, and our kids turned out fine, and their kids will turn out fine.  There is no right or wrong way.  Everyone did their best for the time that they lived.  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

but I was a "younger sibling" who experienced abuse orchestrated by an older girl, in hind-sight likely designed to make me run a

Wow, me too. How many years difference? 7 for me. 5–8 I was left to her care as working mom did grocery shopping on Saturdays. Absolutely hated it.

• Hugs 1
1 hour ago, Daff said:

Wow, me too. How many years difference? 7 for me. 5–8 I was left to her care as working mom did grocery shopping on Saturdays. Absolutely hated it.

😔   
I wasn't that much younger. 3-4 years? And my abuse was not so frequent. But perhaps more traumatic. 
It was the reason I told all 3 of my kids (born 1979-1989) that   
I wanted to know:

1. Where you are
  2. What you’re doing 
  3. Who you’re doing it with 

But as a single working parent, there was often a time lag between when sh!t happened and when I got those 3 facts.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

My mom had her first kid in 58 and worked. The kids always had sitters when they were little but from storied I don’t think most of the sitters were terribly competent.  

I was a late in life oops baby left home alone a lot while both parents worked. If it was going to be an all day thing they hired a sitter but if it was a couple of hours I was home alone and they called and checked up on me. All five of us were fine but they were different times. 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:05 AM, fishcakes said:

Crap, on this new forum layout, I keep quoting myself when I mean to edit the original post.

Oh dear. Are you sure you really mean that? Choosing a phrase or sentence to quote is one thing, but I wouldn’t want anyone to be able to “edit” my contributions as that may misrepresent my intended meaning, thereby, making it theirs, not mine. 

8 minutes ago, Daff said:

Oh dear. Are you sure you really mean that? Choosing a phrase or sentence to quote is one thing, but I wouldn’t want anyone to be able to “edit” my contributions as that may misrepresent my intended meaning, thereby, making it theirs, not mine. 

Only the original poster can edit a post.

28 minutes ago, Daff said:

I'm not trying to edit anyone else's post, just my own. But because on the new layout, they moved the edit button from the bottom of the post to the pulldown menu at the top, a few times now, I've absentmindedly clicked on the quote button and ended up double posting nearly the same thing.

• Like 1

From the series finale thread, Four Minutes:

3 minutes ago, Daff said:
On 5/27/2023 at 11:05 AM, fishcakes said:

Crap, on this new forum layout, I keep quoting myself when I mean to edit the original post.

Two separate issues, both of which pre-date the latest board software update:

1) @fishcakes (and others) quoting oneself when meaning to edit the post:

• This is because the Edit button got moved from the bottom of posts to the top, where it got hidden under the three dot icon (also known as the meatball icon) during an update a year or so ago, but depending upon other factors related to browsers and platforms etc., might not have effected you until now. 
    So, to edit your post:
    image.thumb.png.174740891fe2e91f90f7ac47b67984ba.png

2) Accidentally seeming to credit a post to someone else
— which you could then edit, but I've never seen it done, and you couldn't ever edit someone else's original post:

• Although no one can edit someone else's original post, if quoting a post within someone else's post, it will look as though the person who quoted that post was the poster.
    Avoid this by being careful to select some of both the original poster's post and that of the quoter like this:
    Screenshot2023-05-28145524.thumb.png.4094ce3afea9075d4648820b012a0312.png
    Or,
    click the curved arrow at the top of the quoted post, to get to the original post you want to quote outside of anyone else's post:
    image.png.db4e20c4c9173111a3c3aa9c3b539560.png

Note: Sometimes if I'm quoting something with an obvious typo, I will correct it, usually with square brackets like [their] instead of "there," because I'm a bit obsessive, but mostly I only let myself do that if someone has accidentally said that a character named John did something when they meant to say Jack did it.
    But, I cannot edit a person's original post, nor can anyone else, as far as I know. Maybe a Mod?

• Useful 1
53 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

OT:  Any of you who are watching Ted Lasso, see you there tonight for another finale.

I almost forgot with Memorial Day and being off. Thank you!  Losing 2 shows I watch in one week...although I don't like Lasso quite as much. Will be quite an ending with Ted leaving and Nate etc. Big hole during the week with streaming.

I also have Call the Midwife left that I like but will check out The American's but not sure I'm into the spy plot right now. Things have to catch me the right way.

• Like 1

As info, the first round of voting for the Spring Primetimer Awards here are in progress right now. In this round, forum members can vote for as many nominees as they'd like to as the nominees are reduced from the maximum of 25, down to 5 finalists.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel  is nominated in many categories from Favorite Comedy to Favorite TV Moment and lots of categories in between. 

Here's a link to the main Primetimer Awards' page. Don't sleep on any of the categories. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel  appears in surprising ones as well as obvious ones!

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/3310-the-primetimers-awards/

(edited)
31 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Here's a link to the main Primetimer Awards'. . . .The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel  appears in surprising ones as well as obvious ones!
https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/3310-the-primetimers-awards/

Yes.
For instance, in the "We Go Together: Favorite Ship Pairing" category, you can vote for "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Midge and Lenny." 
Since this is the first round, you can vote for more than one, but that might cancel out your main vote, so probably just vote for the ones you really want to see in the final round. 
So, in the "We Go Together: Favorite Ship Pairing" category, I'm also voting for "Queen Charlotte - Reynolds and Brimsley" because I ship them as much as Midge and Lenny. I'm not sure if that makes sense statistically, but it's what I'm doing, LOL. 

I kind of wish I'd nominated Midge and Joel in this category too, or maybe even Midge and Gordon, but probably not.😉

In the "Straight Off The Runway: Character With Best Wardrobe" category, I voted for both "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Midge" and for "So Help Me Todd - Margaret Wright" because I f'loved both of their wardrobes equally, but I did not vote for any of the "Queen Charlotte" wardrobe nominees.

Edited by shapeshifter