Past Seasons Discussion

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm gonna make an exception and watch this one cuz I love Tessa! 😁

I like her too.  If anyone had to win a pin I'm glad it was her. 🙂

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, katisha said:

I can't even work up the enthusiasm to watch another immunity episode, so I let the FB page tell me that Tessa got the pin. I reckon that's all I need to know and I don't need to waste time actually sitting through it now. 😁

I had it on in the background on the computer but was doing other things - I really dislike 'immunity challenge day'.  It even sounded boring as I was listening to it!

Edited by misgabi13
  • Love 1

Maybe this is the first time in this season that i believed judges when they said that they don’t know which one cooked which dish , tessa’s dish was amazing and i wish i could taste it . I love her and i’m happy that she got the pin 

When she first talked about what she’s going to cook and said mille-feuilles excuse my silliness but all i could think about is Malefoy from Harry potter i didn’t get it 😄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Finally watched the elimination ep.

Walleed just keeps on confusing me. I mean, I don't personally know first thing about artichokes, but at the beginning of the cook Sandeep said to Walleed "remember that the leaves are inedible". And he acknowledged it, because he was like "inedible?" And right after in his talking head he was like "with the artichokes I'm taking a little bit of the leaves off 'cause I know they're not edible" (which he, I guess, wouldn't if Sandeep hadn't just told him that??). AND THEN HE JUST USED THE LEAVES! Like, how did that even happen? Maybe the pressure got to him. 

Blokey's return depresses me a little bit. I don't hate him, but I would've preferred someone else to come back (Kyle, Jess, Dee, Joe, even Leah…). I didn't think his dish was anything special and just so predictable. Of course he's gonna cook a bloody steak. ('Bloody' as an expletive, not as an adjective 😁) But, I knew it was coming. He might've as well cooked a bottom of a shoe with miso butter and he would've been back. 

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 2

Changed my mind and had a quick watch of the immunity challenge. Tessa thoroughly deserved that win. That's one of the best looking dishes a contestant has ever made in recent times when up against a professional chef. On the strength of that, I certainly would be very happy if she won this year. 😊

While I think of it, @Myriad, if an Aussie wants to tease a Kiwi about their accent, the classic phrase they use is "fish and chips". A Kiwi with a strong accent will say "fush and chups". So in Tessa's accent, it is pretty Australian but the Kiwi still comes out in any 'i' vowels such as the words fish and chips! 

• Love 2

Oh, Anushka.  I didn't realise you'd been to the Walleed school of team challenge captaincy where once the menu is done, you don't say another word or take any responsibility for the overall result of the dishes.  I don't think she even offered any encouragement to anyone, especially Abbey who (for once) was actually having difficulty with that hummus.  So it was no great shock to see Red Team in elimination.  Derek was a pretty great captain, actually.  Is there anything that man doesn't do well?

As to who's going to go, I'm confused.

Spoiler

The three longest-priced remaining contestants are Nicole, Steph and Ben.  Since they were all on the winning team, that leaves the most likely possibilities as Christina and Anushka herself.  Sandeep didn't cook today due to that injury but he won't be going due to his immunity pin.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, katisha said:

Oh, Anushka.  I didn't realise you'd been to the Walleed school of team challenge captaincy where once the menu is done, you don't say another word or take any responsibility for the overall result of the dishes. 

What a terrible captain!

I felt really bad for Simon trying to do all those sandwiches himself (cooking the beef, pulling the beef, slicing the bread etc) whilst others spend over two hours each working on hummus, lavosh and a salad respectively!

Then, when Tati was finally free and asked Anushka what she should work on she was told 'we have to finish the salad'!!!   The bloody salad - that the judges disliked.

I also think Tati would have made a much better frittata had Anushka not told her to add 'extra stuff' so it wasn't boring!

Derek was an excellent captain and their food all looked delicious. 

I used to take Waldorf salad sandwiches to school back in the 70's - my mother was clearly way ahead of her time (although my favourite was really the date and walnut sandwiches she made!).

I'm still trying to get my head around how you take so long on hummus, lavosh and a salad!  Lucky they had Christina to pack those baskets and actually get some food out!

• Love 2

Poor Christina!  She doesn't get a break, always on the losing team.  I don't know what Anushka was thinking with that "salad."  I don't get the fascination with figs.  Also, she was a terrible captain.  

I am trying to recall what they have done in the past with team challenges when there was an odd number of contestants.  They had an even number for this challenge because Sandeep wasn't there.  Does anyone remember?

• Love 1

I had a mini dream last night where I had ended up in Masterchef for some inconceivable reason. We had to bake bread and I had no idea how to do it (as I don't in real life either, mind you 😄). The pantry was a size of a supermarket (and resembled one greatly) and I was running around like a headless chicken trying to find wheat flour - the only ingredient I know goes in a bread besides yeast! After like 20 minutes I had my stuff and went to my little cooking corner, and Gary came to me. I was miserable and told Gary "I don't know how to bake bread, I've never done it!" and Gary was like "Well, simplified: you mush all these ingredients together to make a dough, make it look like a bread and put it in the oven." Sadly the dream ended right around there, so I don't know what came of my bread! 

Tessa's immunity dish looked super good. I have a feeling I'm not supposed to like her because she seems like a very no-nonsense kinda person, and I'm more like a nothing-but-nonsense kinda person myself... but I do like her a lot!  

• LOL 3

This challenge really showed how much a team captain matters. Someone that actually lead and helped out in preparing the dishes versus someone that was passive in leading and communication while diving headfirst into making one of the dishes.

Derek lead, encouraged people, took advice from the judges and tasted the food before it went out. They even finished some baskets before service!

Tim was very stupid slicing the loaf of bread one slice at a time and then putting it into a tray. Why not cut the whole loaf of bread first and then put all of them into a tray?

Red team was lucky that Christina was able to help out in other areas and pump out her carrot cupcakes with ease. Almost everyone else had problems. It sucks that she had to suffer her 6th team loss.

I think the top 4 in cooking skill are Tessa, Abbey, Derek and Larissa. It's not going to play out like that but if they are still there come top 8, I'd like to think that the judges are doing something right even if I dislike Abbey.

• Love 1

Am I going crazy, or how am I remembering Derek having a boyfriend with him at the auditions?

He could be bi, of course, but he says in the article he's not in a relationship, so am I really remembering something that didn't happen? 😄 

4 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

Am I going crazy, or how am I remembering Derek having a boyfriend with him at the auditions?

He could be bi, of course, but he says in the article he's not in a relationship, so am I really remembering something that didn't happen? 😄 

No, he brought his Mom & his sister. Ben, who was up just a little before him, brought his boyfriend, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Wow, I didn't see that coming at all!  This might be the first year in a long time that the Sportsbet markets fail because Abbey was running in around fifth or sixth spot.  Not to mention she's always been a judges' favourite, if not a viewers' favourite.  I'm not as glad to see her go as I thought I'd be, however, because she certainly cooks better than quite a few who have managed to squeak by somehow (yes, I'm looking at you, Ben) so on that basis she should have had another couple of weeks at least.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, katisha said:

Wow, I didn't see that coming at all!  This might be the first year in a long time that the Sportsbet markets fail because Abbey was running in around fifth or sixth spot.  Not to mention she's always been a judges' favourite, if not a viewers' favourite.  I'm not as glad to see her go as I thought I'd be, however, because she certainly cooks better than quite a few who have managed to squeak by somehow (yes, I'm looking at you, Ben) so on that basis she should have had another couple of weeks at least.

I must agree that I wasn't 'quite' as gleeful at her going as I thought I'd be.

I think she lost all her confidence after stuffing up hummus last night.

Although, whoever pointed out that she didn't toast her spices was quite correct - that means a huge lack of flavour.  Then to refry with extra oil was a disaster waiting to happen.

I also think Larissa dodged a bullet - both her dishes having issues and having to be changed is a worry - maybe she is goofing off with Derek too much!  LOL

So pleased to see Christina get a win - especially after none of the judges seemed particularly impressed when she first described the dish.

I knew there HAD to be a sweet week but it is never one of my favourites!  Also, when I think of sweets Heston isn't the first person that pops into my head (unless he is making gorgeous sweet things out of meat!).  We shall see!

I'm still baffled at how many people who don't really seem able to cook at this level are still there!

Also, kudos to Maggie Beer, for battling on tasting those dishes with lots of chilli in them.  I thought everyone knew how little chilli she is able to tolerate and thought they might have adapted them a little bit so as not to kill her!

• Love 2

I wonder if Abbey & Larissa's intense study sessions were actually a big part of their problem today - seems it's contributing to feeling the pressure & not trusting themselves.

At least Larissa was able to apply the lesson learned in her very first disaster cook, with the panna cotta that melted into a puddle - way back then she was told that it tasted great & could just have been served as a custard instead.

• Love 2

Didn't get to watch the end as I'm headed off to work in a few, but time to say, wow, seriously, Abbey? I've not been a fan but she's a good cook and it's kind of weird to have Ben and ersatz Prince Harry there and Abbey gone.

Not that I dislike her, but I would have been okay with Christina leaving. Actually any one of the three but I think Abbey was a stronger cook than either Christina or Larissa. I'm actually (waiting for rotten produce to be hurled in my direction) kind of ready for Anushka to go.

For me, I would love if the next few out are BEN, I mean come on for ffs, what's his name, I can't even remember it, wait Tim, Anushka and Steph. Steph just because she's a bit too much for me. The others because I don't necessarily dislike any of them but they're nothing special. Especially Tim. I think he's a good HOME cook, but really limited skills-wise.

Glad Sandeep used his pin. Maybe Tessa will make it all the way to the end without having to use hers!! I think I'm starting to wish for a Tessa-Derek finale!!!

• Love 2

I'm a bit surprised Abbey is gone. She didn't even make it to the halfway point. But then again, if she was here next week, she would raved about Heston being her idol like Nigella and Maggie are. At least we are saved from an Abbey-Tim narrating showdown.

1 hour ago, PepperMonkey said:

I'm actually (waiting for rotten produce to be hurled in my direction) kind of ready for Anushka to go.

For me, I would love if the next few out are BEN, I mean come on for ffs, what's his name, I can't even remember it, wait Tim, Anushka and Steph. Steph just because she's a bit too much for me. The others because I don't necessarily dislike any of them but they're nothing special. Especially Tim. I think he's a good HOME cook, but really limited skills-wise.

I am right there with you on Ben, Tim, Anushka and Steph! Steph annoyed me ever since her reaction to getting tasted in the first Mystery Box. Tim's cooking skills are really lacking but let's be real, he is going to cozy up to the judges all the way to finals week. Besides layered cakes and using baking skills, what dishes has Anushka done in individual challenges that hasn't involved any sort of dessert or dough? Ben is scraping through. He's definitely the weakest contestant left.

Tati made another curry and used banana leaves.

It's unfortunate that Sandeep had to play the pin out of necessity than by choice. That's some bad luck right there.

I'm happy that Christina put up a great savoury dish.

Really surprised that Larissa and Abbey had problems in both rounds. I guess the pressure really got to them.

I don't find Simon to be a particularly great cook.

I want to see a Tessa-Derek final 2.

Spoiler

I wonder if Larissa and Tim are the final 2. Don't the bookies know ahead of time who is in the final 2 by this point?

Simon jumping ahead of Derek in the odds confuses me.

• Love 1

Whaaat ? Whaaaat ?! I didn’t expect it at all , Abbey went home ? Okay i’ve never been fan of her actually i disliked her but as @katisha said she deserves to stay in the competition a little longer instead of some other contestants like ben and steph , at least make it to the top 10 

A wink to Maggie beer for mentioning moroccan Rass l’hanoute 🥰🥰

• Love 1

Wow, I did not see that coming either!  I soured on Abbey after she screwed her team, but she is such  a good cook that I fully expected her to make it almost to the end.  I think the judges expected that as well.  

I think Simon is a very inventive cook, and, more often than not, the judges like his dishes.  Derek is good too, I just don't know that he's better than Simon.  At this point, I would love to see Tessa take the title, so it doesn't matter to me which boy she goes up against lol.

59 minutes ago, xchouchoutex said:

A wink to Maggie beer for mentioning moroccan Rass l’hanoute 🥰🥰

Thanks for this, @xchouchoutex.  I was going to ask in here for the name she mentioned.  

I have decided that Tati does my favorite talking heads.  To me she has a melodic voice, and her pronunciation tickles me.   

• Love 4
14 hours ago, babs1226 said:

I have decided that Tati does my favorite talking heads.  To me she has a melodic voice, and her pronunciation tickles me.

I love how Tati is always excited to BE dressed in black.... she's keenly aware of possible elimination but she is so excited to cook for Yotam again or Maggie again (because Maggie is her hero). I wish I could have that sterling attitude when staring in the face of adversity.

• Love 1

Talking heads: Tim is the new Abby who was the new Steph who was the new Tim.

I'm glad Abby is gone, just so I don't have to hear her say "aromats" one more time.  

Mentor Matt's OTT gesticulating and even trying to mentor the guest chef during the immunity pin challenge was a bit much. Dude, it's not about you. 

Simon is adorkable. 

Did I hear the judges say "or eh gih no," all American like, instead of "or uh gan o"? 

• Love 2

Yes!  I noticed the judges pronunciation of oregano.  Shocked me.  

I’m surprised but not sad Abbey was eliminated.  I had her final four.  She annoyed the crap out of me but her food always looked very appetizing.  This show overuses the word “beautiful” but Abbey took it to a new level.  

I’m totally on board with a Tessa/Derek final two.  Both seem extremely nice and, happily, not annoying.  

In spite of George’s quirks, Gary’s vocal fry and Matt’s pants, I love this show.  Haven’t watched the pathetic US version in years so this is my happy cooking show.

• Love 3

George is my least favorite judge (and I know he can't help it, but I do not find his sweaty head amusing or endearing). Matt can be fun sometimes, and I can relate when he CANNOT stop eating the food. Gary has turned out to be my favorite judge, cuz he has a sense of humor and he is actually the real mentor. He is always challenging the cooks: Do those flavors work together? Why are you changing a classic, there has to be a reason. Is that too much going on? You don't have time for that." 

Gordon is trying to change up Masterchef US this year. I've only seen one episodee but I wonder if his visit to MCAU was a scouting mission to incorporate some aspects into the lame US version. I'm DVR'ing it, but it will have to go into the queue behind Bake Off: The Professionals, Masterchef Canada, and Best Baker in America!  

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, akr said:

No, he brought his Mom & his sister. Ben, who was up just a little before him, brought his boyfriend, though.

OH. And all this time I thought Derek was gay! Not that it matters one way or another, but I'm always slightly disappointed if people I thought were gay turn out to be straight. 😄

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

George is my least favorite judge (and I know he can't help it, but I do not find his sweaty head amusing or endearing). Matt can be fun sometimes, and I can relate when he CANNOT stop eating the food. Gary has turned out to be my favorite judge, cuz he has a sense of humor and he is actually the real mentor. He is always challenging the cooks: Do those flavors work together? Why are you changing a classic, there has to be a reason. Is that too much going on? You don't have time for that." 

Good point. I seem to be liking Gary more after he visited my dream, because I can sometimes be odd that way. I mostly like George as well, even though he has always struck me as a man who puts on a different face for the show and is, in reality, something very different. There seems to be something nasty bubbling right beneath the surface, but perhaps that's exactly why I find him somewhat intriguing. And Matt, well - I can't ever not love everything the man wears, so. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

George is my least favorite judge (and I know he can't help it, but I do not find his sweaty head amusing or endearing).

No matter what he does, George will always be my least favorite for underpaying his employees and bitching about penalty rates.

I can't believe they made Sandeep come all the way out to the set to film five seconds of him playing his pin! Then tried to be "nice" by letting his sit down!

Abbey going was a surprise for sure, especially before people like Ben. I'm still not really sure who's going to end up in the top few, nor who I want to be in there.

For all the big name international guests this show gets, Maggie Beer and her weird sack dresses are consistently the most enjoyable presence every year, I think. You can tell the contestants love having her around, and the challenges when she's there always skew to straightforward, honest cooking. 

• Love 1

I am wondering exactly when we entered a parallel MC AU universe where Ben ends up in an immunity challenge two weeks running. That's even more unlikely than Abbey's elimination the other night .

Heston seemed a lot happier than last time he was on the show. Maybe he was glad to get away with only doing one episode!

As for the elimination, let's see if Sportsbet are closer to the mark this time.

Spoiler

On the basis of the current odds, Steph is a lock to go home because even though Ben is still more of a longshot than Steph for the title, both Simon and Derek are currently in the top five so I would not expect them to get booted.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, katisha said:

Heston seemed a lot happier than last time he was on the show. Maybe he was glad to get away with only doing one episode!

And I'm happy he's only doing one ep! I always found a week with him very dull.

I much prefer Gordon Ramsay and really miss his appearance this year!

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

And I'm happy he's only doing one ep! I always found a week with him very dull.

I have to say, I'm particularly pleased that nobody had to get out that damn liquid nitrogen at all tonight!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I am wondering exactly when we entered a parallel MC AU universe where Ben ends up in an immunity challenge two weeks running. That's even more unlikely than Abbey's elimination the other night .

It was bizzaro world!

Am ashamed to admit that for some of the contestants I just yell rude words at the screen!

Kind of bummed that Simon is in elimination (same for Derek).  I must be on team GO HOME STEPH!!!!

Am beyond dubious about Anushka's 'honey joy' (ie honey coated cornflakes) working with goats cheese pannacotta!

Steph's 'quenelles' looked disgusting!

You have to wonder in what order they bring the rabbits up for judging - if Derek wasn't first then his deep fried ice cream was doomed!

I have my fingers crossed for Steph to go home as she just annoys me!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, katisha said:

I have to say, I'm particularly pleased that nobody had to get out that damn liquid nitrogen at all tonight!

Hmm - I wish Derek could have used it to save his ice cream! I suppose it wasn't an option. How many times has he done something he clearly didn't have time for? At least 3, I think.

Not looking forward to tomorrow - I like all three, & a dessert challenge on sweet week is bound to be something even more annoying than your average dessert challenge. I'd guess the composition of the immunity contest bodes well for Larissa - she has to be the favorite against Tim, Anushka, & Ben. 

• Love 2

I feel like we're in the upside-down with both Tim and Ben in the immunity challenge, so yeah, I hope Larissa pulls it out if they're determined for someone to win the immunity pin. A nice twist would be if you DON'T WIN immunity pin, you have to leave the competition. Never to return, Tim.

Meanwhile, I kind of think Derek may be leaving versus Simon and Steph. Derek - whom I really like, by the way - seems to fare better in team competitions but flounders when left to his own devices, at least it seems that way to me.

I'd love for Steph to leave because I'm pro Derek and pro Simon, but she somehow manages to eke out a good showing in black apron challenges. 

I don't know what the odds are,  but I would love for Steph, Tim, Ben and Anushka to leave soon. Christina can go too. I don't dislike any of these people, they just don't really do anything for me. Actually, there's no one of whom I am super enamored this year, except maybe Tessa, so go Tessa! Team Tessa for the win!!

• Love 3
(edited)

I adore Derek so my heart broke for his melted ice cream. He's such a cheerful, sweet thing though. But yes he's volatile in individual cooks.

ETA: Derek my good natured baby you can't leave!!!! I'll be so upset!!!!!!

Love a Tessa and Nicole who I call the "No Nonsense Blondes"

I've liked Christina ever since she barged in and tried to take over Anushka's hot mess leadership (or lack thereof).

I don't mind Tim and think he should have been tasted in the invention test instead of Steph. I really don't care for Steph's wretched sounding bitter desserts. 

Tim baked a cake in his cook so kudos for that. I pox those panna cottas so go Tim for making cake. 

I'm terribly fickle but I was awfully sad Abby left. I kinda miss her and thought she was a good cook. I felt so sorry for her when she had her meltdown. 

Lol it's incredibly stupid since I initially really disliked her. I feel so foolish😅

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

All I am saying (besides give peace a chance) is if Tim ends up in the finale, the other person (TESSA) had better win.

Although at this point I'm not discounting an extra special episode with a super surprise elimination, by which Tim AND Ben end up as the final two.

• Love 1

DAMN!

I've never been the biggest fan of Steph (ever!) but announcing her elimination was super quick and seemed a bit harsh!

On the plus side, I am happy she is gone and Derek and Simon remain!

I really don't like these elimination challenges that rely on reading 100 pages of directions and one stuff up results in failure - I would far rather watch them cook their own thing and be judged on that.

Especially as the dough recipe was so 'secret' they just got given the dough!  WTF!

I am also really, really cranky that on a cooking show that so many people couldn't pronounce croissant!!!

Gary and George kept saying 'CRAW-SONT' as did many of the contestants!  Super jarring to the ears!

It is 'QUA-SON' (mini-rant in my head over!).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, misgabi13 said:

Gary and George kept saying 'CRAW-SONT' as did many of the contestants!  Super jarring to the ears!

It is 'QUA-SON' (mini-rant in my head over!).

And if you feel that way, @misgabi13, how are @Myriad and @xchouchoutex going to react to the French butchering? Must say, though, I REALLY could use a chocolate "qua-son" right about now.  Man, that looked SO delicious! I quite liked the guest chef, too.  Interesting career path to go from aerospace engineering to making croissants!

Simon did a great job and very calmly worked his way through the steps.  Derek, as he tends to do, went like a bull at a gate and made a crucial error early on and I think it knocked his confidence.  He's just lucky that Steph stuffed up worse than he did.  But the Sportsbet markets got this one right because Steph was a long way behind both Derek and Simon in the market order.  Maybe the Abbey anomaly was just that?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

And if you feel that way, @misgabi13, how are @Myriad and @xchouchoutex going to react to the French butchering? Must say, though, I REALLY could use a chocolate "qua-son" right about now

Wellll, the one who pronounced it right was Gary 😃 actually it’s Crwa-son i think they pronounce it wrong because of the « R » , but the word that gets butchered the most in masterchef is mille-feuilles 😄 

today’s pressure test was nerve wracking i stopped watching it for a second because i couldn’t see Derek struggling i’m glad steph went home instead 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, xchouchoutex said:

today’s pressure test was nerve wracking i stopped watching it for a second because i couldn’t see Derek struggling 

They had a clip of the poor poppet crying on Facebook and I was like "Omg cheerful baby don't cry."

A brief scan of the comments seems to indicate that Facebook felt the same as we did. 

• Love 4

Never been more happy in my life to be totally wrong about an elimination. Our Derek is safe! But guys, I don't think he's going to be on there much longer than top 8 or 7 at max. He really does have issues with certain things.

I kind of hated to see Steph go in a way, but then not. 

Glad Derek and Simon are safe and we'll see what shakes out in the team challenge in a couple days. 

As per usual, I will be skipping immunity pin hell and just stopping by here to see who did or didn't. I'm actually thinking Tim may get an immunity pin to keep him in the festivities a bit longer. Let's see if I'm wrong again (hope, hope, hope)...

• Love 2

I like Tessa, but they had NO business tasting her ice cream duo as one of the top 3. They basically called her up there to tell her it's lame and she has no chance, but give her some helpful pointers for going forward. Seemed a bit like Princess treatment. Why not taste someone's elses instead? Were none of them "more appealing" than two blobs of ice cream in a bowl, which she claimed was nostalgic cuz "It takes me right back to being a kid ...cuz I really liked ice cream." You don't say, wow, magical.  

I hate the unreasonably elaborate challenges that have taken some experienced chef 10 years to perfect. They have little relevance as to how creative and competant these amatuer cooks are. I only watched a bit of it to make sure Simon or Derek didn't go, but I do not find these challenges entertaining to watch, nor did I enjoy seeing Derek and Steph crying and defeated.  

Finally, apologies, cuz I have always said cruh sont! facepalm-smiley-emoticon.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

As per usual, I will be skipping immunity pin hell and just stopping by here to see who did or didn't. I'm actually thinking Tim may get an immunity pin to keep him in the festivities a bit longer. Let's see if I'm wrong again (hope, hope, hope)...

You need to pay closer attention to the previews for tomorrow's show... when George held up the Immunity Pin you could see (click if you want to know)...

Spoiler

Larissa's yellow shirt blurred in the background.  

Am I the only one who loves watching the opening credits and singing along?  How depressing is it that we've already reached the halfway point and the song's now cut in half.  😢

I know everyone is down on Tim, but I actually like him... especially when he gets high praises and we can all see how red he becomes.  It's a pure joy that can't be faked.  I don't really have anyone I really like or dislike this season... except maybe the judges.  I've always said, and still say, they should have guest chefs in to do the blind tasting for the immunity challenge.  These judges know the contestant's cooking styles too well to be unbiased.  What's the point in having a 'blind' tasting when they know who is cooking and what cooking styles each one has?

Edited by ReallyRealReality
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, xchouchoutex said:

but the word that gets butchered the most in masterchef is mille-feuilles 😄

I think I would butcher those words too, and that is after learning French at school for five years several decades ago. 😂 Is it something like "meal foy"?

Edited by katisha
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

A nice twist would be if you DON'T WIN immunity pin, you have to leave the competition. Never to return, Tim.

LOL yes! 

11 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

Although at this point I'm not discounting an extra special episode with a super surprise elimination, by which Tim AND Ben end up as the final two.

After last season's finale debacle, I won't be surprised by anything. 

4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Finally, apologies, cuz I have always said cruh sont! facepalm-smiley-emoticon.gif

I say "kroissantti". Take THAT, everybody! 😄 

Didn't care for Abbey much, but much like Mellowyellow, I was a bit upset when she left. Maybe because she was so upset herself. I thought Larissa's dish looked much less appealing. 

I generally like Sweet Week, but the elaborated desserts that require fucking lab conditions for them to work are stupid. I mean, I like how they look, they're beautiful (usually), but having to make them in an elimination callenge is the stupid part.

So I guess "lolly" means just candy in general in Aussie English? I was so confused when George talked about lollies in the beginning of the mystery box challenge and I was like "there aren't any lollipops there, what are you talking about?" 😁

So Larissa finally made a working panna cotta? Applause, I guess. 

Poor Derek and his collapsing mille-feuille!

• Love 3

THE WITCH IS DEAD! THE WITCH IS DEAD!  LET'S HAVE A PARTY, WOOHOO!

She is the only contestant who grates on me every episode, although Anushka's top job in the captain shoes doesn't give her the right to shout orders from the gantry.  Your time came and went and you were dead silent, dearie. Stay dead.

Back to Steph, I was almost afraid to watch this episode in fear that either my Simon or Derek got the boot instead of her.  I cheered and clapped at every mistake she made and almost went apoplectic with every one of her little successes. What a relief to know that we won't be subjected to her awful talking heads yet again.

And my Simon, so calm and collected and cute!  Aaaawww!

2 hours ago, katisha said:

I think I would butcher those words too, and that is after learning French at school for five years several decades ago. 😂 Is it something like "meal foy"?

It's a tricky one, for the "euille" sound doesn't exist in English.  It's a bit like us French peope having so much difficulty with your "th" sound.  French people from France say  "zat", in Québec we say "dat".  I guess "oye" is what comes closest to the real thing.  Here's a demonstration, then you can all walk around in your house saying millefeuille over and over again! 

@TVbitch, you made me laugh - and you use Koloboks, alright! Laie_78.gif

@xchouchoutex is right, the R isn't a silent one.  I was actually quite impressed when Gary said it the first time, almost threw me over the couch. Here's one for croissant, although there's no need to insist that much on the ss sound.

That pastry chef has a very interesting career path. But, my, seven years to develop a croissant?  Some people have a patience I don't possess, and I do am of a patient nature, imagine.

From the start of the series, I thought both Derek and Tim had a chance to win, but now I'm not so certain.  Yes, Derek can flounder if he doesn't pause and think, and Tim seems to limited yet.  I share the same opinion of many of you, as Tessa seems to be slowly distancing herself from the pack with her so many superior dishes.  Plus she has the pin, and she could very well not need it at all if not ending on the losing team in one of those challenges.  I don't quite see her going to elimination on her own.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Curious episode!

I was interested to see in stage one of the challenge (by watching all the background shots) that they clearly didn't get anyone to put their ice cream into the cones until it was their time to present to the judges.

I would rather be told this than have to rewatch bits to see if I am crazy or not!  Plus it makes the show more interesting!

Loved that Tim is into the top 10 but also kind of pleased he didn't get the pin (although he one of my favourites) as the guest chef's dish looked far better (except for those GLORIOUS figs!!!).

The team challenge looks hysterical!

Edited by misgabi13
Because I am an idiot and pressed some button that posted this!
  • Love 1