Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

Is it the big house that eventually becomes the blind school? I remember that one popping up a lot. I think the first time I ever saw was the episode about the widow who they all assume is jumping Pa'd shirtless bones. It was her house. 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Zella said:

Is it the big house that eventually becomes the blind school? I remember that one popping up a lot. I think the first time I ever saw was the episode about the widow who they all assume is jumping Pa'd shirtless bones. It was her house. 

Yeah, and the weird thing is that the Hansen House not only became the Blind School but then it burned down- yet afterwards, Harriet was able to find that pesky deed  in 'Welcome to Olesonville 'within the house that was dusty but not the least bit burned (despite it having clearly burned to the foundation in the landmark tragic episode). 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

So they used it multiple times? I just recall reading it was in a episode besides this

Yes, it was also for an episode for some person that lived there that everyone was afraid of, a widow lived there, it was the blind school, and probably many other things, lol.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, and the weird thing is that the Hansen House not only became the Blind School but then it burned down- yet afterwards, Harriet was able to find that pesky deed  in 'Welcome to Olesonville 'within the house that was dusty but not the least bit burned (despite it having clearly burned to the foundation in the landmark tragic episode). 

Yeah, but actually that house wasn't the house they used as blind school but the house Laura inherited later from that old lady, the one where she and Almanzo founded their boarding house. I know, for an old, lifelong bachelor, Hanson sure had many enormous houses.

And in fact, they used that house earlier already as the house where Albert and James find shelter from rain in the episode where James first breaks Albert's razor and then steals one from the mercantile.

I sometimes wonder if using of same buildings was some kind of inside joke for filmmakers, of course in addition to it was a question of practicality.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2021 at 6:34 AM, debraran said:

Thanks for the synopsis. I wonder if she was friendly with Moses Gunn at all although he didn't stay on for long. When I met him, he wanted to talk about other things, not that show as much. He wasn't starring in it though. I'm sure racism was there being a large set and just the joke Michael did pretending to be KKK showed it was not really recognized. Some things you can't make a joke, although some will laugh, it was too ugly. I'm glad he gave her a chance and let her sing. She had a beautiful voice.

I think I would find Katherine a soulmate too. I always admired woman with chutzpah and a sense of humor. I don't recall anyone's book mentioning "Hester Sue" or any of the minority actors but they might have. I would think Todd's show would have been by someone, it was so good.

Karen's book isn't coming out until the Fall (Nov) but I will probably get hers. So far 8.99 for Kindle, and 16.95 for paperback. I know many fans will buy it but since she hasn't been in the limelight for a long time, they count on fans who hung in there with the show to buy it. I'll help. ; ) 

A summary: Karen Grassle, the beloved actress who played Ma on Little House on the Prairie, grew up at the edge of the Pacific Ocean in a family where love was plentiful but alcohol wreaked havoc. In this candid memoir, Grassle reveals her journey to succeed as an actress even as she struggles to overcome depression, combat her own dependence on alcohol, and find true love. With humor and hard-won wisdom, Grassle takes readers on an inspiring journey through the political turmoil on ’60s campuses, on to studies with some of the most celebrated artists at the famed London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, and ultimately behind the curtains of Broadway stages and storied Hollywood sets. In these pages, readers meet actors and directors who have captivated us on screen and stage as they fall in love, betray and befriend, and don costumes only to reveal themselves. We know Karen Grassle best as the proud prairie woman Caroline Ingalls, with her quiet strength and devotion to family, but this memoir introduces readers to the complex, funny, rebellious, and soulful woman who, in addition to being the force behind those many strong women she played, fought passionately―as a writer, producer, and activist―on behalf of equal rights for women. Raw, emotional, and tender, Bright Lights celebrates and honors womanhood, in all its complexity.

Damn. Another alcoholic? How many were there from the set? 

(edited)
17 hours ago, greekmom said:

Damn. Another alcoholic? How many were there from the set? 

Good question!  While Miss Anderson and Miss Gilbert only pinpointed ML himself as having been a 'heavy drinker', Miss Arngrim alluded to alcohol being freely dispensed on the set to the crew especially. Miss Stewart also outed the late Victor French (but  the recovering alcoholic also outed her own usage from teenhood on) and then claimed that some poor regular adult costar had themselves become a recovering alcoholic  and begged her to keep it a BIG secret from ML and the others for fear that ML would lead the others in deriding this anonymous performer for achieving just that. IOW, if we go by what Miss Arngrim and, especially, Miss Stewart claimed, it would seem that there was  a great deal of boozing going on during the show's production by ML, Mr. French and a good number of the crew if not other adult performers.

It seems that Miss Grassle is set to reveal her own struggles with alcohol in her impending autobio but how much (or if) she will detail others' LHOTP onset consumption will have to wait for the book's publication. 

However, by all accounts, not only did ML and Mr. French and the other adult performers (with the exception of Miss MacGregor) know their lines  cold and were always able to wrap up the show's production by the early evening, but under ML's direction, they respected and insisted on everyone else on site respecting the teen girl performers ( even though ML wasn't above putting them at risk re potentially dangerous oncamera stunts).  That, sadly, seems more exceptional than the rule re the entertainment industry- but all the more remarkable considering the  amount of booze (notorious for breaking down inhibitions) that appears to have gotten consumed.  

And yet Pa was such an adament teetotaler that he smashed booze bottles and boozers to battle drunkenness around (as per the show). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Just watched the pilot episode and was really not impressed with Karen Grassle.  She played Ma so rigid and cranky.  Glad they softened her up for season 1.  It was so bad she’s lucky Ma wasn’t recast when the series was green lit.  The real ma always written as soft, steady, stern but firm.  KG played her as fearful, snappy, weak.  So glad that did not continue or it would not have made the series as warm and supportive as it was.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So you're saying that Miss Grassle played her as a proto-Alice Garvey? Oddly enough, Miss Parady seems like a fun, witty person so I can't imagine that it was entirely fun for her playing someone who more often than not was a stick in the mud. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Honestly, if I had to deal with some of Jonathan's bullshit on the regular, I'd probably be pretty cranky and uptight too. LOL

Fair enough but what about Andy and the Ingallses? They didn't really do anything to warrant said crankiness from Alice Garvey/ 

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Fair enough but what about Andy and the Ingallses? They didn't really do anything to warrant said crankiness from Alice Garvey/ 

She didn't stand out to me as particularly peevish, to be honest. Maybe I'd have to revisit some episodes, but I remember Jonathan being an uncalled-for asshole way more than her. I always just thought of them as Giant Jerk and Wife. Not Giant Jerk and Shrew Wife. Lol

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Tamiele said:

Just watched the pilot episode and was really not impressed with Karen Grassle.  She played Ma so rigid and cranky.  Glad they softened her up for season 1.  It was so bad she’s lucky Ma wasn’t recast when the series was green lit.  The real ma always written as soft, steady, stern but firm.  KG played her as fearful, snappy, weak.  So glad that did not continue or it would not have made the series as warm and supportive as it was.  

I have only seen the pilot once if you mean the one where they go to Indian territory, but I didn’t notice that about her.  I think I liked her okay in that.  If she was different it was partly because Caroline was not happy there.  She was scared of the Indians, they were nowhere near a town, and she was concerned about Mr Edwards (at least in the show for the Mr Edwards part)

Edited by alexa
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Zella said:

She didn't stand out to me as particularly peevish, to be honest. Maybe I'd have to revisit some episodes, but I remember Jonathan being an uncalled-for asshole way more than her. I always just thought of them as Giant Jerk and Wife. Not Giant Jerk and Shrew Wife. Lol

Not to worry. We have Pa Messiah ready and available to guffaw inappropriately and make everything okay again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

Not to worry. We have Pa Messiah ready and available to guffaw inappropriately and make everything okay again.

He should be a required presence in all divorce hearings. 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Go back and watch the show where Alice is the schoolteacher and Andy is struggling in school. She is awful during that episode. It’s all about her being embarrassed as opposed to helping out her son. She was always talking in a very loud voice and had a sourpuss.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Kyle said:

Go back and watch the show where Alice is the schoolteacher and Andy is struggling in school. She is awful during that episode. It’s all about her being embarrassed as opposed to helping out her son. She was always talking in a very loud voice and had a sourpuss.

Yes then she gets the big daddy to disicpline him because getting hit with a belt even when sorry is the only way to "feel better" in their home. (Charles would have forgiven him as he did Laura and Mary many times and Albert) He was so happy though, I almost thought they really just played checkers. lol

She was a pain in that show and opposite of Ma when she did it or even Harriet. I think I would have liked Harriet as a teacher. She was funny, stern but also smart. There was NO way though, without LHOP writing, she would have picked "Rape of the Sabine Women" in a farming town of Walnut Grove. It was hysterical though.

• Love 3

Was watching White Lightning and thought man this Dude Watson looks familiar

Turns out it's matt Clarke who appeared in 3 episodes of LHOP

2 as Boulton--Plague and Child of Pain(I couldnt find him in this episode though) and as Seth Berwick in Mortal Mission

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/19/2021 at 9:28 AM, jason88cubs said:

Was watching White Lightning and thought man this Dude Watson looks familiar

Turns out it's matt Clarke who appeared in 3 episodes of LHOP

2 as Boulton--Plague and Child of Pain(I couldnt find him in this episode though) and as Seth Berwick in Mortal Mission

The unluckiest man in Walnut Grove - his wife and son died twice, in two separate plagues. 😅

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

A831vP.gif

About to get divorced but wanna try to work it out one last time?

Just contact Charles Ingalls and he'll have you laughing so hard you'll forget why you wanna get rid of them!!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

About to get divorced but wanna try to work it out one last time?

Just contact Charles Ingalls and he'll have you laughing so hard you'll forget why you wanna get rid of them!!!

Too bad Michael and Lynn Noe Landon weren't able to do that but would Mr. Ingalls's laughter been enough to get her to sweep the whole adultery deal under the rug?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

Random question, but did Nels and Harriet sleep upstairs by their children or did they have a room on the lower level?

I know we would see them in the bedroom but can't recall the location

I always assumed it was on the second floor, but I don't know if I had a reason for thinking that. But, if they had the store, living room, dining, room and kitchen on the first floor, then 3 bedrooms, it would make sense that they were all on the second floor.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I always assumed it was on the second floor, but I don't know if I had a reason for thinking that. But, if they had the store, living room, dining, room and kitchen on the first floor, then 3 bedrooms, it would make sense that they were all on the second floor.

Based on nothing, I agree with you. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Katy M said:

Let's not forget that they also had a bathroom in which a tub was depicted within when Harriet was emerging from her depression after two weeks of being bedridden upon the news of Nellie's permanent exit. Oh, and it also had a toilet that was incompetently assembled which flooded Harriet when she'd try to use it (but, tastefully,  the viewers only heard her wails and saw a large stream of [clean]water pour down the staircase) 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'm pretty sure the Oleson's bedroom was upstairs.  When Harriet was in her depression after Nellie left, Charles and Cassandra (I think) went upstairs to her room to see her.

And a pox on them.  That's what got us Nancy.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Today's random LH fact: I looked up the actress who played Elna Jacobsen in the 100 Mile Walk (the pregnant wife of one of Charles' work buddies -- not the one who got blown up), and learned that she played the elderly lady in The Green Mile having a romance with the older Paul, who was played by our very own Reverend Alden, Dabs Greer. 

Forget six degrees of Kevin Bacon, I'm convinced there's two degrees of Little House everywhere. 

elaine.jpg

Paul.jpg

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
9 minutes ago, jird said:

Today's random LH fact: I looked up the actress who played Elna Jacobsen in the 100 Mile Walk (the pregnant wife of one of Charles' work buddies -- not the one who got blown up), and learned that she played the elderly lady in The Green Mile having a romance with the older Paul, who was played by our very own Reverend Alden, Dabs Greer. 

Forget six degrees of Kevin Bacon, I'm convinced there's two degrees of Little House everywhere. 

elaine.jpg

Paul.jpg

I rewatched The Green Mile for the first time in a long time recently and nearly died when I realized who was playing Paul as an old man. I had no clue his lady friend also had a LHOTP connection, though! 

• Useful 1

Damn! Ma is laying in to Mary for almost burning down the barn! 

18 hours ago, Zella said:

I rewatched The Green Mile for the first time in a long time recently and nearly died when I realized who was playing Paul as an old man. I had no clue his lady friend also had a LHOTP connection, though! 

I remember watching it in the theaters and being "hey! It's Reverend Alden!" 

Dabbs Greer apparently had a lot of small roles after LH ended. Probably more than most of the cast. 

• Love 4
(edited)

So I'm watching this old show I never heard of called "Crisis" originally called "Kraft Suspense Theater", an anthology that aired from 1963 to 1965. The episode was titled "A Hero For Our Times" starring Lloyd Bridges as an executive with a wife and 3 kids who is at his mistress' apartment one night when he sees a woman being murdered in the building next door. He anonymously calls the police and quickly leaves the scene. The police arrest the wrong man, an old janitor at the dead woman's building, because he is a drunk with a criminal record. Lloyd Bridges then has the dilema of whether he should come forward and risk his marriage and career to save an innocent man. The innocent man was played by Reverend Alden himself, Dabs Greer! Then I was surprised to reading the closing credits who played the real murderer: Victor French! I totally didn't recognize him without his beard:Screenshot_20210702-221217.thumb.png.6e8300aaf6c071918a8d66a541ad2f4c.png

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Then I was surprised to reading the closing credits who played the real murderer: Victor French! I totally didn't recognize him without his beard:

I had the same experience with an episode of Gunsmoke. A beardless Victor French seemed so familiar but I couldn't place him at all. Then I looked up the episode on IMDb and was like "Oh snap, Mr. Edwards!" I like to think of myself as good at pinpointing people in other roles, but I don't think I ever would have figured that out on my own. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

So I'm watching this old show I never heard of called "Crisis" originally called "Kraft Suspense Theater", an anthology that aired from 1963 to 1965. The episode was titled "A Hero For Our Times" starring Lloyd Bridges as an executive with a wife and 3 kids who is at his mistress' apartment one night when he sees a woman being murdered in the building next door. He anonymously calls the police and quickly leaves the scene. The police arrest the wrong man, an old janitor at the dead woman's building, because he is a drunk with a criminal record. Lloyd Bridges then has the dilema of whether he should come forward and risk his marriage and career to save an innocent man. The innocent man was played by Reverend Alden himself, Dabs Greer! Then I was surprised to reading the closing credits who played the real murderer: Victor French! I totally didn't recognize him without his beard:Screenshot_20210702-221217.thumb.png.6e8300aaf6c071918a8d66a541ad2f4c.png

It's too bad few made the connection while these performers were still living but I'd like to think that Messrs. French and Greer had their fun thinking how bogus it would have been for anyone to have mistaken Reverand Alden for Isaiah Edwards!

@Zella, I got what you're saying,before  he did LHOTP, a beardless Mr. French did an episode of The Waltons  in February, 1974 playing a man struggling to save his marriage while considering adopting an orphan. Not only was he beardless but his voice was somewhat higher and clearer sounding than Isaiah's! 

Of course, Miss Arngrim said that ML deliberately cast adult performers as regulars who'd played a variety of roles beforehand  but had NOT had regular much less identifiable roles prior to LHOTP so viewers wouldn't waste much if any time comparing their prior performances to the current LHOTP roles. I mean, few if anyone likely said 'Yes, Charlotte Stewart is fine as Miss Beadle but she really shined as a high school reporter crushing on Mike in My Three Sons!'

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Zella said:

I had the same experience with an episode of Gunsmoke. A beardless Victor French seemed so familiar but I couldn't place him at all. Then I looked up the episode on IMDb and was like "Oh snap, Mr. Edwards!" I like to think of myself as good at pinpointing people in other roles, but I don't think I ever would have figured that out on my own. 

He's also in "An Officer and a Gentleman" as Debra Winger's father. He just has a mustache. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Good day to watch "Centennial"

It was a fairly good epic miniseries about the settlement of Colorado (albeit a bit simplified as many of Mr. Michener's works were). 

However, upon looking at the cast list, I don't see a single LHOTP cast member or even known guest who also was in Centennial (despite both series having been on NBC). If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

yes I was. I love that scene where Harriet just keeps rambling and rambling to the tax guy while Nels is looking at her like "shutup!!!"

It's kind of when Harriet started to go from just a mean, petty b---- to comic foil, which, in my opinion, suited the actress better. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I believe @jason88cubs was referring to this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0632984/

Not a bad episode. Classic LH use of characters we never heard of before or after. 

Oh, D'OH! On my part!

YEESH! I'd forgotten that that was also the title of a LHOTP episode!

OK, I liked it overall and enjoyed the impassioned speech that the now-dispossessed immigrant father gave about the US being a land of opportunity and freedom and, yes, I liked Harriet getting to be more of a whacky foil than just the mean, heartless villain she'd been up to that point. 

The only sour note is that I disliked it when the immigrant father forbade his wife from speaking Russian inside their own abode saying that they were now in a new nation. OK, I understand that it's pragmatic to learn the language of one's new home ASAP and to speak it as much as possible when interacting with others who can't speak own's original language. However, as someone who is two and three generations removed from different ancestral tongues and  can only speak a few words of either language (which makes extended family reunions a bit awkward), I believe that something from one's own soul is lost if one deliberately tries to forget one's own original language- regardless of how much more appealing one's new nation is compared to the one of one's birth! And, besides, regardless of the immigrant father's best intentions, it was rather domineering, bullying and sexist to insist that his wife FORGET their original language!  I wonder if ML would have considered if his own life might have been broadened had he known his father's ancestral Yiddish and/or his mother's ancestral Irish Gaelic?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Oh, D'OH! On my part!

OK, I liked it overall and enjoyed the impassioned speech that the now-dispossessed immigrant father gave about the US being a land of opportunity and freedom and, yes, I liked Harriet getting to be more of a whacky foil than just the mean, heartless villain she'd been up to that point. 

The only sour note is that I disliked it when the immigrant father forbade his wife from speaking Russian inside their own abode saying that they were now in a new nation. OK, I understand that it's pragmatic to learn the language of one's new home ASAP and to speak it as much as possible when interacting with others who can't speak own's original language. However, as someone who is two and three generations removed from different ancestral tongues and  can only speak a few words of either language (which makes extended family reunions a bit awkward), I believe that something from one's own soul is lost if one deliberately tries to forget one's own original language- regardless of how much more appealing one's new nation is compared to the one of one's birth! And, besides, regardless of the immigrant father's best intentions, it was rather domineering, bullying and sexist to insist that his wife FORGET their original language!  I wonder if ML would have considered if his own life might have been broadened had he known his father's ancestral Yiddish and/or his mother's ancestral Irish Gaelic?

very well said

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Blergh said:

Oh, D'OH! On my part!

That was a strange time and outlook, re language. I hate when people talk about hearing people talk Spanish and not English but back in my mom's day, (she's 90) all immigrants from Poland and Italy spoke their language and many didn't learn English, just the kids. My grandfather never got a better job because of that. What is sad is that my mom learned Italilan from her dad, her mom spoke English but she never taught her children. My kids friends had parents that were from Columbia or Puerto Rico and they didn't teach their children their language. It became an embarrassment instead of an asset. I see that changing today and it's a good thing.  In Europe they would think we were stupid, they all learn another language. Even if we don't border other countries the same way, it's never a bad thing, never a thing to be ashamed of and I hope we outgrow that mentality today. 

• Love 2
On 7/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, Blergh said:

It was a fairly good epic miniseries about the settlement of Colorado (albeit a bit simplified as many of Mr. Michener's works were). 

However, upon looking at the cast list, I don't see a single LHOTP cast member or even known guest who also was in Centennial (despite both series having been on NBC). If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. 

Just about everyone else was in Centennial though. Gosh, I love that miniseries. And yes, I would rather be in Colorado. 

• Love 1