Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, paramitch said:

The writers admitted that they gave Roz the pregnancy and baby as direct reactions to her sexuality (I think this was talked about in the Vanity Fair anniversary article), but I think they also did say they regretted that reaction and the storyline.

That's disgusting.  Really grossly moralistic towards women.

2 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

100% agree on Sherry vs Ronee. I like both actresses a lot but I thought Martin and Sherry had much more chemistry and she was the kind of woman I could see him with.

Perfect marriage of character/actor/writing.  Even though she'd likely annoy the fuck out of me if I was Frasier.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, paramitch said:

What a lesson. And he did so in return. I loved the two of them and (while I know it's popular to criticize) I also loved them together as they explored their relationship. Absolutely loved it.

Same. I've said it before, but one of the things I love most about Niles and Daphne is that once they got together, the show kept them together. And yes, early on they had their ups and downs they had to work through as they adjusted to being a couple, but they handled them together. They talked things out, they learned how to be truly honest with each other about their insecurities and concerns, and I really like that the show allowed them to explore those issues. They didn't have the typical "break up/make up/break up again" drama that so many "will they/won't they" couples deal with once they get together, and the issues they did deal with felt true to their characters and felt like the exact sorts of things you'd expect them to deal with. Not some manufactured drama. 

And I think that really helped them in the long run. They worked for their happy ending, and they got it :). Plus, I like that you can see just how much Niles changes for the better after he and Daphne get together. Over time he becomes more casual, more open to new things, more laid back and at ease with himself. 

(Also, once again, I LOVE your entire post analysis of Niles and Daphne versus Niles and Maris, and the way Niles views relationships versus how Frasier views them. Like, I want to print out that post and frame it, it's SO good and so spot on and I agree with every word of it :D.)

As for Roz, I echo the sentiments here from everyone about how TV tends to treat women who dare to be more sexually liberated. I do like, though, that Roz did end the show with her success coming from her career, and not from having finally found the man of her dreams. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, paramitch said:

I think this is a great point, and highlights an aspect of Niles and his sort of yearning, carnal aspect that is lacking in Frasier. Frasier is this big brother with all these romances but Niles is honestly this fiery romantic sensualist and it's something Frasier tends to disregard or overlook. Frasier's Achilles heel is that he is always in his own head, but Niles doesn't have this problem -- Niles is scared to take the leap, but he's wired and willing in ways Frasier isn't -- for a weird example -- I honestly (for instance) love every second of Niles and Roz because they always seemed moments away from tearing their clothes off at each other. I didn't exactly SHIP them, but there was this incredible chemistry.

I agree.  They have what my friends call the look of 'angry sex' between them 😄

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Same. I've said it before, but one of the things I love most about Niles and Daphne is that once they got together, the show kept them together. And yes, early on they had their ups and downs they had to work through as they adjusted to being a couple, but they handled them together. They talked things out, they learned how to be truly honest with each other about their insecurities and concerns, and I really like that the show allowed them to explore those issues. They didn't have the typical "break up/make up/break up again" drama that so many "will they/won't they" couples deal with once they get together, and the issues they did deal with felt true to their characters and felt like the exact sorts of things you'd expect them to deal with. Not some manufactured drama. 

And I think that really helped them in the long run. They worked for their happy ending, and they got it :). Plus, I like that you can see just how much Niles changes for the better after he and Daphne get together. Over time he becomes more casual, more open to new things, more laid back and at ease with himself. 

(Also, once again, I LOVE your entire post analysis of Niles and Daphne versus Niles and Maris, and the way Niles views relationships versus how Frasier views them. Like, I want to print out that post and frame it, it's SO good and so spot on and I agree with every word of it :D.)

As for Roz, I echo the sentiments here from everyone about how TV tends to treat women who dare to be more sexually liberated. I do like, though, that Roz did end the show with her success coming from her career, and not from having finally found the man of her dreams. 

Beautifully said! One of my favorite things about Niles after he gets together with Daphne is how open he is to new experiences. It's like he's been reborn and he's just thrilled to be alive, eyes wide open to the world.

To me, his relationship with Daphne releases Niles and gives Niles this beautiful sense of pure joy, so that he's awake -- he's not playing a part or living a life that feels already written for him. Instead, he can take joy in all the little, silly, even common things -- Hawaiian shirts and fast food and even (God forbid) allowing Daphne's horrible, horrible, toxic mother to live with them (Niles deserves sainthood for this alone).

As far as Roz goes, I love a lot of her moments in the show, and I do think the writers did stay loyal to the idea that her work is her real true love (in the best way), and Peri Gilpin was just fantastic at every moment. So while I wasn't thrilled with the pregnancy, I did like some of what followed -- I liked watching Roz navigate motherhood as successfully as she did work (she's terrific at both), and I liked that it did not hold her back in any significant way.

Last but not least, thank you for that lovely compliment -- seriously, it made my day. I just finished a bingewatch of all of "Frasier" and so have been thinking way too much about all of these characters.

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree.  They have what my friends call the look of 'angry sex' between them 😄

Exactly! There's real passion there -- I just point people at "Moon Dance" and Daphne's "Fasten your seatbelt" for proof.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, paramitch said:

Exactly! There's real passion there -- I just point people at "Moon Dance" and Daphne's "Fasten your seatbelt" for proof.

I love how giddily happy Niles is around Daphne once they're together, how he doesn't have to pretend anymore she doesn't knock him off his feet by being around him.

After watching Daphne and Niles in "Moon Dance", I needed a cigarette afterwards.  And I don't smoke.

When Daphne told Niles to fasten his seat belt, it had nothing to do with safety; more like Daphne telling Niles he was in for the ride of his life now. Judging from his reaction at the end of "Daphne Returns", that's exactly what he got.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

More confirmation that the show will likely be taking place at a college:

https://deadline.com/2023/02/frasier-toks-olagundoye-paramount-sequel-series-kelsey-grammer-1235246471/

Olagundoye will play Olivia, head of the psych department at an Ivy League university. She projects confidence, warmth, and professionalism—in other words, the opposite of how completely unglued she feels on the inside. Olivia must contend daily with her colleague (and Frasier’s old college buddy) Alan (Nicholas Lyndhurst), who resents Olivia’s seniority over him. The two of them disagree on just about everything, but they both admire Frasier—and each hopes to use him to further their own aims.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

The college setting and the return to Boston are intriguing. Frederick grew up there and Niles and Daphne's son would be smart enough to be accepted into an Ivy League and he'd be close to Frasier.

James Burrows returning to direct is promising (he directed 237 episodes of Cheers) although again, it all comes down to the writing.

With a return to Boston, I wonder if we will get to see Cheers again. I know when Frasier was went to Cliff's retirement party, they didn't let the show go to Cheers. But considering how big shared universes are now, I'd be surprised if we didn't see Cheers one more time.

Edited by benteen
  • Like 4
On 1/31/2023 at 6:00 AM, paramitch said:

I honestly (for instance) love every second of Niles and Roz because they always seemed moments away from tearing their clothes off at each other. I didn't exactly SHIP them, but there was this incredible chemistry.

I agree with this. I loved Niles and Roz's interactions. I think they were fairly well matched in their barbs and yeah, I kinda non-cannon shipped them. I wouldn't ever have wanted them together on the show, but I do think their chemistry was pretty charged. 

10 hours ago, StarBrand said:

After watching Daphne and Niles in "Moon Dance", I needed a cigarette afterwards.  And I don't smoke.

Is that when they do the Tango? Because DAMN that was hot! And DHP is an amazing facial actor because his face when Daphne says she loves him too (because she's caught up in the moment but it's the thing he longs to hear more than anything) just absolutely glows. You almost think he'll burst he's so happy. 

I really appreciate that the show went with Niles being in love with Daphne rather than some concept of what he thinks she is or what she represents. He loved her, quirks and all. It was a nice change from the "be careful what you wish for" style romance where one partner puts the other on a pedestal and when they get together ends up hating them because they don't live up to it. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, benteen said:

With a return to Boston, I wonder if we will get to see Cheers again. I know when Frasier was went to Cliff's retirement party, they didn't let the show go to Cheers. But considering how big shared universes are now, I'd be surprised if we didn't see Cheers one more time.

Cheers, where everybody is too old to know your name.

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

I feel so weird about the "Frasier" reboot/return. Right now I absolutely want to give it the benefit of the doubt -- I mean, I never could have predicted "Frasier" being such a brilliant spinoff after "Cheers," for instance. And who knows what this will be? But I do feel this slight sadness/unwillingness to watch... Martin and Eddie are gone, Roz, Niles and Daphne will not be present, and it certainly appears that all we are left with is Frasier (and Frederick, in some fashion). And while I have great affection for Frasier (almost in spite of himself), he was not really what kept me coming back to the show. It was his family that did that (and how he and they interacted).

I will probably cave in and watch. I want to be open to a new era of the character, and Grammer is a wonderful actor. I'm also really happy to hear Burrows is returning too. Fingers crossed.

15 hours ago, StarBrand said:

I love how giddily happy Niles is around Daphne once they're together, how he doesn't have to pretend anymore she doesn't knock him off his feet by being around him.

Upon rewatch, it's interesting that you can really see that Jane Leeves was a dancer at one point -- she's absolutely gorgeous in "Moon Dance" in her tango with Niles (and DHP acquits himself quite nicely as well). That moment when she puts her leg on his shoulder -- oh, man! It's spectacular.

And I love that it's got SO much subtext -- Niles is finally free to say everything he wants to say to her, to act the way he wants to -- and I do think Daphne is doing the same (more on an "impossible crush" level, and not as deeply as Niles, maybe). It's such a wonderful moment.

5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Is that when they do the Tango? Because DAMN that was hot! And DHP is an amazing facial actor because his face when Daphne says she loves him too (because she's caught up in the moment but it's the thing he longs to hear more than anything) just absolutely glows. You almost think he'll burst he's so happy. 

I really appreciate that the show went with Niles being in love with Daphne rather than some concept of what he thinks she is or what she represents. He loved her, quirks and all. It was a nice change from the "be careful what you wish for" style romance where one partner puts the other on a pedestal and when they get together ends up hating them because they don't live up to it. 

1. Yes! And it is glorious!

2. I love that too -- I also love that we get glimpses that just as Daphne is unbuttoning Niles's collar a bit (ahem) and showing him the world can be a little more fun and spontaneous -- we also get these little moments of awareness that Daphne is enjoying learning from Niles too, about things like wine and opera. They are truly enriching each other without trying to CHANGE each other, and that is just so beautiful.

Which is why Daphne in "Rooms with a View" always kills me when she breaks down. She loves Niles every bit as much as he loves her, and it is so in-character that she is so fierce about it. (sniffle)

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, paramitch said:

2. I love that too -- I also love that we get glimpses that just as Daphne is unbuttoning Niles's collar a bit (ahem) and showing him the world can be a little more fun and spontaneous -- we also get these little moments of awareness that Daphne is enjoying learning from Niles too, about things like wine and opera. They are truly enriching each other without trying to CHANGE each other, and that is just so beautiful.

One of my favorite little Niles/Daphne moments is in "Head Games", when they're at that basketball game, waiting for it to start. As the players warm up and get ready to go out on the court, Daphne translates that to "opera speak" for Niles, so he understands what's going on. 

And then of course there's "First Date", when we learn that Daphne knows a little bit about opera and sopranos. I think the fact she already had some familiarity with that stuff helped prime her to be even more open to learning more from Niles about that stuff. 

Yes to all the conversation here about "Moon Dance", too. I love that episode so much. That dance is just...damn. I also love seeing how much fun Daphne's having teaching him, and how they start calling each other Fred and Ginger. Yes, there's the underlying attraction, but those moments are a really nice glimpse into the genuine friendship they're developing, too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, benteen said:

Don’t suppose any of them might have a need to to fly to Nantucket…

• Like 6
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, paramitch said:

They are truly enriching each other without trying to CHANGE each other, and that is just so beautiful.

They are the perfect example of two people who, on paper seem all wrong but because they love each other and respect each other and are both better for being with the other. They are the yin to each others yang in the best way.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yes to all the conversation here about "Moon Dance", too. I love that episode so much. That dance is just...damn. I also love seeing how much fun Daphne's having teaching him, and how they start calling each other Fred and Ginger. Yes, there's the underlying attraction, but those moments are a really nice glimpse into the genuine friendship they're developing, too. 

Daphne was so giddy about being invited to a fancy ball.  But she did everything for Niles-taught him how to dance, went through the whole thing so Niles' friends would no longer see him as pathetic.  And he was having the time of his life. When Daphne said the whole thing was an act on her part, she had no idea how much that hurt Niles.  Two steps forward, one big one back, if you will. I would have liked to have seen Niles talking to Daphne about his memories of that night, and how much it stuck with him.

Niles' attraction to Daphne did have a tendancy to play as creepy, but I think "Moon Dance" was the first time you felt really bad for Niles...he thought he finally had the woman he wanted so badly, and yet she saw the night as a performance.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2023 at 6:26 PM, Mabinogia said:

They are the perfect example of two people who, on paper seem all wrong but because they love each other and respect each other and are both better for being with the other. They are the yin to each others yang in the best way

I loved that during the whole "Daphne is fat" period, Niles loved her unconditionally.  Also, I hated the way the show handled that.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, monakane said:

I loved that during the whole "Daphne is fat" period, Niles loved her unconditionally.  Also, I hated the way the show handled that.

Yeah, I'm sure it sounded like a funny way to hide Jane's pregnancy, but I think it fell flat. I do, however, love how it added to Niles and Daphne's relationship, showing that he loves her no matter what, like you said. That is the only good thing to come out of that storyline.  

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Yeah, I'm sure it sounded like a funny way to hide Jane's pregnancy, but I think it fell flat. I do, however, love how it added to Niles and Daphne's relationship, showing that he loves her no matter what, like you said. That is the only good thing to come out of that storyline.  

The jokes were horrible.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah for a show that is known for its intellect, it's especially obvious to us when they go for the lowest common denominator. 

Agreed. The "jokes" were all lazy and mean.

• Like 4

What do you guys think of the episode "Good Samaritan"?  I always skip it , but I watched it today.  I guess it wasn't....... HORRIBLE.

I also never watch "Frasier's Curse" and I think it's the episode called "Good Grief" where Fraiser has that horrible job interview with the guy with the toupee?  I can't bear that. 

Season 6 has some of my favourites (Dial M for Murder, Moskowitz, First Do No Harm, Decoys, Dr. Nora, Visions of Daphne,  Dinner Party, etc.) but also some episodes I really can't handle.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4

I like "Good Samaritan", 'cause I like the whole premise of Frasier trying to continue to do good things despite it constantly coming back to bite him, and I like his talk with Frederick at the end, too :). Plus, Martin and Niles' reaction to Frasier being in jail are great. 

I like the whole concept of tying Frasier's job loss to the grief process in "Good Grief", and I like how they bring back around at the end when Niles is sitting there thinking his divorce from Maris will go well :p. 

• Like 5

How serendipitous.  The W Channel aired "Our Parents, Ourselves" today which is a Superbowl episode.

I never put it together that this is a Superbowl episode (shows you how little I care about football) and that Roz's mother is played by Eva Marie Saint.  I always found that storyline so sad and I can't believe they'd put such a classic actor in that position!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

How serendipitous.  The W Channel aired "Our Parents, Ourselves" today which is a Superbowl episode.

I never put it together that this is a Superbowl episode (shows you how little I care about football) and that Roz's mother is played by Eva Marie Saint.  I always found that storyline so sad and I can't believe they'd put such a classic actor in that position!

LOL, I love Niles desperately finding any way/excuse to try and avoid that Super Bowl party :p. And then his exit - "If anyone needs me, I'll be at the movies!" *Scurries out* 

Yeah. I relate very much to Niles there, too :D. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Regarding the Superbowl episode, our dogs only tolerate each other, and sometimes someone will refer to them as "friends," and I always say, "He's not my friend! I hate him!" and I'm the only one who thinks it's funny.

• LOL 4

There's a really funny part in that episode.

Daphne:  Well, I'm off to the cinema.
Niles: You're not staying for the game?
Daphne:  Sorry, but American football's not for me.  And they're showing Wuthering Heights downtown.  I think it's the most romantic movie ever made.

Niles:  You're going alone?

Daphne: Yes, unfortunately. It's more fun to go with someone.  Except, of course, it always ends the same way. Me weeping all over me date's shoulder, while he does what he can to comfort me.

Bonnie:  Well, you should've seen me cry putting onions in this ham loaf. 
I must have gone through a whole roll of toilet paper.

Then Bonnie and Niles stare at each other for a very uncomfortably long beat.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

In the post Me Too era, the plot between Frasier and Virginia Madsen's character in "Three Valentines" is just really not amusing to me at all.

Frasier cares a lot about consent, which is great, but Cassandra is his (work superior?) and she's giving him endless, crazy mixed messages through the entire episode.  She invites him to dinner on Valentine's Day, shows up in a cocktail dress, invites him to her hotel, changes out of her dress into a robe, tells him to get comfortable - I mean it's Harvey Weinstein to a fucking T.  It's just really nasty today.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Watching "Dinner Party", one of those classic Season 6 episodes I mentioned.

Some new observations I don't remember having before.

It's nice to see Roz and Daphne's friendship pick up, but Roz is not a good friend.

Alice apparently got sick all over Daphne's car, dress, and something else.  Can't remember.  So Roz got everything cleaned.  Unfortunately, Roz's dry cleaner left a huge white splotch on Daphne's dress from bleach.  This is the first time I actually noticed the splotch - it's huge!  Roz doesn't even tell Daphne about it, and tries to minimize it.  Uh, that's not a tiny dot!  I would be pretty upset and that dress is pretty much a loss at that point.

Another thing.  That snotty couple that says about Frasier and Niles "You get the one, you get that other one."  You know, when I was younger, I think I used to laugh at that part.  But now, I'm thinking about all those people I know who throw "couples parties".  They'll throw a dinner party, and only invite couples, which I dislike.  As if singles are less worthy to socialize with.  That's what that attitude reminds me of.   So yeah, those "Friends" of Frasier and Niles were kinda nasty.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Another thing.  That snotty couple that says about Frasier and Niles "You get the one, you get that other one."  You know, when I was younger, I think I used to laugh at that part.  But now, I'm thinking about all those people I know who throw "couples parties".  They'll throw a dinner party, and only invite couples, which I dislike.  As if singles are less worthy to socialize with.  That's what that attitude reminds me of.   So yeah, those "Friends" of Frasier and Niles were kinda nasty.

And that's a large part of what makes that episode so funny and which explains why Frasier and Niles are the way they are - they are going ALL OUT to set up this party, blackballing guests and making their dad change his game night with his friends and whatnot....all to try and impress this couple who couldn't care less about them and will make snide little comments to each other about them. 

I love that episode, too. I like how it plays out in real time, basically, and it has some great exchanges:

Niles: "Why don't we just call them up and ask them what's so weird about us? We can both get on an extension."

Frasier: "Better yet, why don't we just get on a bicycle built for two, ride over there, and ask them what's so strange about us?!" 

And then this conversation between Daphne and Roz towards the end, regarding the dress Roz winds up wearing:

"Doesn't she look great?"

"Oh, shut it, Daphne, I know you think I look like a hooker!"

"No, no, I said it made me look like a hooker! On you, it...well, it works!" 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

I really love Kelsey's acting in that episode.  It's so good.  It SHOULD be a boring episode, it's just Frasier and Niles arguing in an apartment.  But wow, the writers and directors and actors make it so interesting.  I've watched it countless times and it never gets old.

The husband saying "Is that off the hook?" and the wife saying WHAT? is such a classic lol.

Allison: Does it matter? You get the one, you get that other one. Personally, I think the whole arrangement's a little...
Harry: Is that thing off the hook?
Allison: Oh my God! [hangs up]

The episode reminds me of "Hot Ticket" i think it's called.  But I don't think I like that one was much as this one.  Frasier and dinner parties is always classic.  I love "Daphne does Dinner", I think it's called.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

I really love Kelsey's acting in that episode.  It's so good.  It SHOULD be a boring episode, it's just Frasier and Niles arguing in an apartment.  But wow, the writers and directors and actors make it so interesting.  I've watched it countless times and it never gets old.

The husband saying "Is that off the hook?" and the wife saying WHAT? is such a classic lol.

Indeed, that's the great thing about this show. Lord knows that's not the first time we've seen Frasier and Niles argue, or plan a party*. And yet it's still so entertaining, for the very reasons you note. 

*I love how their party already goes awry and it hasn't even happened yet :p. 

Another bit I love in that episode is when Roz gets all offended when Frasier asks her if she knows any interesting guests who can come to the party. She starts going on a big rant about them not thinking she's sophisticated enough and all that, and as she storms off, she punctuates her rant with, "I'm just as refined as you two! Shut up, Niles!" 

I love "Daphne does Dinner", I think it's called.

Yes! That one's hilarious, too. The way Niles practically tumbles out of the kitchen when Daphne yells at him, "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN HERE!"....XD. 

And Frasier horning in and trying to take over planning the dinner party is fun, too. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

*I love how their party already goes awry and it hasn't even happened yet :p. 

LOL, Niles blackballing himself.  I STILL HAVE ONE BLACKBALL LEFT

5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yes! That one's hilarious, too. The way Niles practically tumbles out of the kitchen when Daphne yells at him, "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN HERE!"....XD. 

And Frasier horning in and trying to take over planning the dinner party is fun, too. 

I loooooooove that episode.  I think it really shows Frasier in a good light WHICH ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS.  Frasier and Martin work so hard to keep up Daphne's charade for her and Niles's benefit, it's really sweet.

People say they love on "The Office" when the show actually shows what a great salesperson Michael is.  Well, this is my Frasier version. I love the episodes where Frasier gets to show off how good he actually is at things!

I love Frasier talking about ramekins and forcing Martin to pick them up and Martin actually doing it.  Everything about it is so funny and great.  And then Martin has to act like he's lost and confused when people find him in the kitchen. 😄

Even Gertrude gets to win in that episode 😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And then this conversation between Daphne and Roz towards the end, regarding the dress Roz winds up wearing:

"Doesn't she look great?"

"Oh, shut it, Daphne, I know you think I look like a hooker!"

"No, no, I said it made me look like a hooker! On you, it...well, it works!" 

I am always entertained how they pretend that Daphne and Roz wear the same size. Like the episode where Roz asks Daphne if she can borrow a push-up bra, when Roz is clearly several bra sizes larger than Daphne.

• Like 5

While I'm not exactly Faye's number 1 fan, I love the juxtaposition of Man's Woman Cassandra - flirting with Martin, ignoring Daphne, and Woman's Woman Faye - polite with Martin, agreeable and personable with Daphne.   And of course, Daphne and Martin's respective reactions to them too.

Martin:  Oh Faye, Faye.  If Frasier wants boring artsy fartsy conversation, then he's got Niles!

Niles' facial expression here hahahahhahahahhahahhahahahaha

This is one of the best crafted Frasier episodes .  I've seen it so many times but I think it's still good.  Frasier is the worst in it though, picking apart the women's flaws.  He's a psychiatrist, he should just realize he's afraid of commitment for some reason.  Especially since he accuses Daphne of the same in the following episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, jird said:

I am always entertained how they pretend that Daphne and Roz wear the same size. Like the episode where Roz asks Daphne if she can borrow a push-up bra, when Roz is clearly several bra sizes larger than Daphne.

LOL, yeah, I think about that, too ,when I watch those episodes :D. 

• Like 2

I watched Voyage of the Damned the other night and just was amazed at how much I still laughed after all these years. The cast chemistry was off the charts good. All of them had great comic timing, even the latin lounge lizard....I just cannot fathom how a reboot could be better or even as good as this show really was.....

• Like 5
  • Love 3

That episode is hilarious. I love when the "Barracuda" song starts up, it's just so appropriately doofy and silly XD. And Frasier's reaction upon hearing it is great, too. "Oh. Oh, that's bad. On so many levels." 

And the running joke of everyone else's cabins being much nicer than his, LOL. 

I love how Peri Gilpin can barely keep a straight face through much of that episode, too - there's so many moments where you can see her struggling (and sometimes just plain failing) to stifle a laugh :D. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Yeah, that's one of my favourites.  And it's so clearly NOT filmed aboard a luxury cruise ship.  It looks like it was filmed in conference rooms for goodness sakes.  And yet, it is such a good episode that really conveys the feeling of being aboard one of those.  Frasier's panic, Roz's casual observing, Martin's excitement and joy, and Niles's constantly having conflict.😄

• Like 3

That and Ham Radio are among my faves! The Barracuda is hilarious, as is the whole exchange about Maris.

Roz: I see a hat rack.

Martin and Frasier exchange looks.

Frasier: Look closer. Is the hat rack moving?

Roz: Oh my God!!!!

That and the gag when Niles says Maris started without him — which I’m embarrassed to admit I was too innocent and sheltered to get the first time around.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, AgathaC said:

That and the gag when Niles says Maris started without him — which I’m embarrassed to admit I was too innocent and sheltered to get the first time around.

Everyone else: "Ewwwwwwww...."

Niles (Glaring): "Drinking the champagne..."

I also like the bit early on when everyone's looking at the other guests on board the cruise, and Martin's talking about seeing the magician's act in Vegas"

Martin: "For the finale, he made his own head disappear!"

Niles: "Did the toupee disappear, too, or did it just hover?"

The little hand gesture Niles does as he asks that just cracks me up. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

"Shutout in Seattle", end of Season 6

Frasier:  Maybe I should stop being such a buzzkill.

Roz:  What does that mean?

Frasier:  Oh Roz, plug in.

Kit:  Sex sex sex!   The way you came to bed every night wanting it, begging for it!

Niles:  I never had to beg!

Kit:   Oh I'm just so horny aren't I?  That's all I am.  Your whore!  YOUR WHORE FROM THE CAFE!  (Runs out)

Niles:  (to the staring crowd at large) It's really more of a compatibility thing.  I'm recently divorced, and I've been under a lot of strain.... It's been painful for everyone.

Frasier:  Niles..... they're strangers.  It's all right.

Frasier's reactions in the background are so funny LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 4

Kit:  Sex sex sex!   The way you came to bed every night wanting it, begging for it!

Niles:  I never had to beg!

Kit:   Oh I'm just so horny aren't I?  That's all I am.  Your whore!  YOUR WHORE FROM THE CAFE!  (Runs out)

Niles:  (to the staring crowd at large) It's really more of a compatibility thing.  I'm recently divorced, and I've been under a lot of strain.... It's been painful for everyone.

Frasier:  Niles..... they're strangers.  It's all right.

Frasier's reactions in the background are so funny LOL

For some reason, I love how Niles has a hand on his hip as he tries to explain himself to all the other people in the café :p. I dunno, it just makes his attempt to defend himself all the funnier/more pathetic :p. And Frasier's face when Kit freaks out and runs off - he's just quietly sitting at the table like, "O___O". LOL.

Kit's freakout is amazing, too. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

"Plug in", a phrase I have not heard in any other project (LOL) reminds me of so many odd phrases like that one

- "Get the net" from Wayne's World.  I thought it was about the internet, but that movie's from 1992.  So apparently it meant "Get a butterfly net, this person's crazy"  LOL.

- "I got jiggy with it!"  Said by Jerry on "Seinfeld"  LOL

and other phrases that are like, a 90s person trying to sound hip hahaha.

19 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Kit's freakout is amazing, too. 

She did a great job I agree.  I think she's the friend in "Legally Blonde".

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004814/?ref_=tt_cl_t_10

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I understand that they're trying to do a "Father of the Bride" ripoff, but the episode's plot just seems so contrived to me.  It doesn't seem in character to me that Daphne would jump at the chance at Frasier paying for everything for her wedding, without any discussion or hesitation, and then get upset at all of his choices.  It's a bit biting the hand that feeds.  It's one of those examples where I feel like Daphne's blank slate character is molded to fit a plot.

Now Roz not wanting to be a bridesmaid in an ugly dress - that's believable.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 2/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I understand that they're trying to do a "Father of the Bride" ripoff, but the episode's plot just seems so contrived to me.  It doesn't seem in character to me that Daphne would jump at the chance at Frasier paying for everything for her wedding, without any discussion or hesitation, and then get upset at all of his choices.  It's a bit biting the hand that feeds.  It's one of those examples where I feel like Daphne's blank slate character is molded to fit a plot.

Not to me either. She knew Frasier enough by that point to know he'd pick all things he liked and that she didn't have the same tastes as him. I do feel a little bad for Frasier when he's talking to Martin about how he was planning the wedding he always wanted. That hits me more as I get older. I had my wedding planned out since I was teenager but it's never happened and probably never will. 

• Like 2
On 2/22/2023 at 3:15 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I laughed at Frasier's bridesmaid's dress choice too (even though Roz loved it). Daphne was going for poofy ugly and Frasier went for refined ugly.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2