Type keyword(s) to search

Drunk History - General Discussion

• Start Topic

OMG I died with the producer trying to get Rich Fulcher to say Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin and that it didn’t really register with him the reason she eventually gets the last name Shelley is because she married Percy.

• Love 5

Was Will Ferrell made up to look like Marilyn Manson intentionally or was it just me?  At any rate, hysterical show.  I'd never watched before tonight.

ETA: In light of the whole Shelly thing, the fact that both of the actors actually have the same last name, Wood, is pretty funny as well!

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1

So glad this is back!  As much as I love the 2 or 3 shorter drunk history lessons in the regular format, having one story for the entire episode was awesome.  Rich Fulcher is hysterical.  He would probably get on my nerves big time if I ever met him at a party...a little goes a long way.  But in this show, he is gold.  I really enjoy all his dramatic, emphatic statements and then the way he casually drops a throw away "what-evs" kind of line.  When he was describing how the "Monster" ran away after killing Frankenstein's GF,..."and he was NEVER! EVER! Seen AGAIN!!" <<pause>> "until he was".  I was dying!

• Love 3

I don't know if I was laughing more at how brilliant Rachel Evan Wood was, like when Rich was trying to pronounce Mary's name and she just puts her head in her hands, or Kirby & Derek laughing at him. 

Yeah the "he was never seen again, until he was" was wonderful. 

I like the different versions of Drunk.   Derek did one online based on a Trump speech about the Civil War recently, it is hilarious. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

OMG I died with the producer trying to get Rich Fulcher to say Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin and that it didn’t really register with him the reason she eventually gets the last name Shelley is because she married Percy.

I think he was doing a bit tbh, but it was still funny. I liked that overall he was genuinely cracking up Derek and the other woman. At first I thought he was really that sloshed, but I think he was drunk enough but playing it up and having some fun because he had a longer time frame. 

I thought Rich killed it with the narration. He gave them a ton to work with. 

My favorite of the cast was actually playing a female character this time!

I think you can only do a single story episode once and a while because you absolutely need a top notch narrator who can maintain and really really talk. As much as I like the show, there's only a handful that could pull it off. 

Did anyone see the episode of the The Highlander tv show with Byron and Mary?

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

think he was doing a bit tbh, but it was still funny. I liked that overall he was genuinely cracking up Derek and the other woman.

Given everything about production since this show was on YouTube it seemed like he had kept messing up long before we saw the producer intervene to clarify.

I thought Jack McBrayer did a wonderful job portraying Byron. Rachel Evans Wood was brilliant and Claire Clairmont looked a lot like the drawings I've seen of the actual Claire Clairmont. Tragic history for all three. Almost like they were cursed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Is Drunk History supposed to make us cry? Because the third story on Marjorie Stoneman Douglas sure did.   

I don't know but it made me cry too. As soon as they started the quote of Majory Stoneman Douglas about being a nuisance I was tearing up even before they showed the images of the kids from Parkland because anyone could see where they were going with it.

• Love 4

I am glad that my favorite actor in the cast is back playing a male character. 

The first narrator was right - what other country has national and state parks like the USA? 

The line reading of the woman saying "ate some jello" killed me. 

Good narration all around though I thought the last woman was the best. And the actor playing Douglas was great. 

All of Derek's costumes were fantastic. Looks like he choked up at the end too. But good. I'm fine with the show taking that stand. 

Edited by ganesh

I thought Katie was going to be messy because she looked a little too drunk, but she was solid. The entire bit with the guys in the field was hilarious. I love that Lefty was my favorite actor. 

It was my understanding that Shoeless Joe wasn't involved though. 

Edited by ganesh
3 hours ago, ABay said:

None of the guest hosts has really impressed me so far. I'm not againt the idea, but I'm not digging the execution so far.

I can understand Derek needs a break. It takes up to 8 hours per segment. Based on his interview, it seems really difficult to manage the narrator. 

Honestly, Fleetwood is the best name. 

I didn't know anything about Moses. The narrator was really good and it was super interesting. 

I like that the actor playing Landis was the same across the segments. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Iboatedhere said:

I love that the Florida costume in the first story was a remake of Lisa’s. 

B8560F94-6B54-49A2-B331-20282EEACE12.jpeg

Shit, I didn't even notice that. All the lolz.

Amber Ruffin isadorable. She did Clara Barton so well last year I was crying laughing. 

This gif isthe best: 

We've seen the house Derek and Lyric were in before, haven't we? Do they film these in random sets or are they filmed in the narrator's own place?

Edited by auchic
2 minutes ago, auchic said:

We've seen the house Derek and Lyric were in before, haven't we? Do they film these in random sets or are they filmed in the narrator's own place?

I know I read an article a season or two ago where one of the narrator's said they'd actually gone to an AirBNB rental for the story, which makes a lot of sense.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, saoirse said:

I know I read an article a season or two ago where one of the narrator's said they'd actually gone to an AirBNB rental for the story, which makes a lot of sense.

Ah, good point, didn't even think of that! But they do film at some of the narrator's homes, too? There was that episode with Paget where they were rolling around in her bras?

18 minutes ago, auchic said:

Ah, good point, didn't even think of that! But they do film at some of the narrator's homes, too? There was that episode with Paget where they were rolling around in her bras?

I'm sure they do - it probably just depends on circumstances, like if the narrator lives alone, what the house set up is like, etc - and I'm sure some people wouldn't want their private space filmed, while others are probably fine with it?

• Love 1

I didn't know anything about her either. 

It looks like Derek is using someone's house for multiple stories. This week and last featured segments with him and the narrators in a yard with a soccer goal in the back. 

I'm glad I got back into this show. So much fun. AND informative! I didn't know that the Little Rock Nine had to try multiple times to get into the school. Oh, and I was surprised that they filmed this at my old high school, San Pedro High. 

I never knew Dog Day Afternoon was based on a true story. I like that they had a trans actress playing Elizabeth Eden.

I want whatever Anais was drinking that first segment, 'cause she was loooooaded. Josh Hartnett has aged well, mmm.

That last segment about Edie and Thea was so well done, I teared up as well. Kirby needs to be on this show forever, she is adorable.

• Love 3

Josh Harnett is such a nonentity to me. Just blah.

Still, the show was good. I hadn't heard about the tunnels under the Berlin Wall. That was interesting.

I did know that Dog Day Afternoon was based on a true story. I didn't know the guy had profited from the movie. That's cool.

Edie and Thea's story was very sweet.

I feel like they chose that first one just to fit the dolphin sex story in, but Duncan was having fun with it and Dr. Drew was surprisingly a good host.

I thought Jon Lovett did a good job with a weak story. 

I loved the part in the Dolphin Sex story when Carl "Satan" started yelling at Dr Tilly "who you gonna jerk off next time?!?!"  That whole rant was hilarious.  I didn't know about the LSD, but I had heard about the dolphin masturbation as part of those studies. 

Lovett was funny, I know him from Pod Save America, I might have to check out his podcast, Lovett or Leave It. 

• Love 1

Uber for dolphin fucking.

Thank you. 

The narrator was the optimal level of drunk. 

On 2/21/2019 at 10:53 AM, teddysmom said:

I loved the part in the Dolphin Sex story when Carl "Satan" started yelling at Dr Tilly "who you gonna jerk off next time?!?!"  That whole rant was hilarious.

The actor totally nailed the monologue too. With the hand gestures. 

I like when the narrators make the actors say who they are. 

On 2/21/2019 at 8:53 AM, teddysmom said:

I loved the part in the Dolphin Sex story when Carl "Satan" started yelling at Dr Tilly "who you gonna jerk off next time?!?!"  That whole rant was hilarious. 

I loved that, too. Chris Parnell was great. We couldn't quite see Jay Duplass's face, but it looked like he was near cracking up.

I enjoyed everyone. Duplass used hilarious facial expressions -- the more exaggerated, the better. 

Both the narrators were great. 

I wasn't so crazy about Dr Drew.

Jane Levy, the blonde narrator for the second story, looks so familiar to me but I checked her on imdb and I haven't seen anything else she's been in.

The shipboard Charleston in tonight's Drunk Mystery is one of the funniest things not just on this series, but ever. I've watched it three times now and laugh hysterically every time at the way it totally follows through on the random noises and rhythms the narrator made. Bravo to all concerned for really committing to this.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

The shipboard Charleston in tonight's Drunk Mystery is one of the funniest things not just on this series, but ever.

Agreed, as was the bumper with Derek quoting "Like a Prayer". I had legit tears in my eyes.

• Love 2

For me the funniest bit was in the Thomas Ince story when the narrator was flapping his fingers together to say Chaplin and Davies were having sex, then we see them sitting on the bed flapping their fingers together.

The dancing part was funny, too, but I think my favorite story was the last one. Taran Killam was really enjoying himself. The bit with Jack McBrayer popping up and getting arrested was great. 

• Love 3