Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files in the Media

The only time I've ever heard the term snogger is in the X-Files fandom and only used by anti-snoggers as an insult. I don't think the majority of people reading that article would have heard that term. In fact, the only reason I know what snogging is in general is from Austin Powers way back in the day. Outside of that, I've never heard it used anywhere else.

• Love 1
I don't think the majority of people reading that article would have heard that term.

No, me neither. My impression is that it's pretty obscure. I definitely never encountered it during the run of the show and one of the email lists I was on (I was on at least three XF email lists as well as participating on message boards) had a significant DD/GA shipper contingent.

• Love 1

The only time I've ever heard the term snogger is in the X-Files fandom and only used by anti-snoggers as an insult. I don't think the majority of people reading that article would have heard that term. In fact, the only reason I know what snogging is in general is from Austin Powers way back in the day. Outside of that, I've never heard it used anywhere else.

Yea that's kind of how I heard it too tbh. But meh *shrug*, I kind of used it as a general term (not meant in the insult fashion), since not everyone who ships characters, ships the actors outside of it. I'm not an anti-snogger btw, just someone who doesn't really care about the status of the actors relationship. I just cared about the characters themselves.

No, me neither. My impression is that it's pretty obscure. I definitely never encountered it during the run of the show and one of the email lists I was on (I was on at least three XF email lists as well as participating on message boards) had a significant DD/GA shipper contingent.

Yea it is. Only mentioned it via the article as a general thing. Nothing against DD/GA shippers, just frustrated a bit by the umbrella term usage of shipper. Someone else made a comment about it too a few days back. So it looks like some other folks got a wee bit rankled by it. But no harm, no foul.

I left a second comment clarifying where I'm at on there for the halibut.

Isn't "shipper" an umbrella term by definition -- anyone obsessed with two people - fictional or real - getting together is a "shipper" of that couple, aren't they?

The article was about people who want GA and DD to get together/think they are together, so it seems to me that's the particular group of shippers being addressed by the author in saying, "Sorry, shippers ..."  Seems proper usage to me (especially since we're dealing with a made-up word, anyway).

• Love 3

Isn't "shipper" an umbrella term by definition -- anyone obsessed with two people - fictional or real - getting together is a "shipper" of that couple, aren't they?

The article was about people who want GA and DD to get together/think they are together, so it seems to me that's the particular group of shippers being addressed by the author in saying, "Sorry, shippers ..."  Seems proper usage to me (especially since we're dealing with a made-up word, anyway).

Yea. But they could have said GA/DD shippers. Then it would have narrowed the scope down. In case any fans of the characters saw the article.

The article was about people who want GA and DD to get together/think they are together, so it seems to me that's the particular group of shippers being addressed by the author in saying, "Sorry, shippers ..."  Seems proper usage to me

Yep. Totally appropriate.

A new EW article -- Not much new here per say

It's pretty much bits and pieces from earlier EW interviews.

Only new bit that I noticed anyway was this quote: “I can tell you absolutely nothing—and it’s fantastic,” Duchovny said.

I REALLY hope that it's the case.

One bit that had me chuckling: Is there anything about becoming Fox Mulder again that he’s not happy about? “Probably running through the forest at four in the morning.”

Ah some things never change :P.

• Love 1

Mulder's just not the same if he's not chasing something through the woods in the middle of the night. This time though, he'll end up getting winded halfway through and have to play it off like the bad guy put the whammy on him so that Scully doesn't think he's lost his boyish agility.

• Love 1

Mulder's just not the same if he's not chasing something through the woods in the middle of the night. This time though, he'll end up getting winded halfway through and have to play it off like the bad guy put the whammy on him so that Scully doesn't think he's lost his boyish agility.

Lmao XD. Maybe ;).

But who knows what/who he'll be chasing >:)?

David's been really sentimental about the X-Files lately, and that's really great to see. It's a much different tune than what he was singing way back in the day. He's looking really good in those pictures too, I'm liking the longer hair.

• Love 3

He probably never realised how good he had it, with a steady job, etc. And of course time heals...

I think he has for awhile now. It's good to see. Same with her. It's good to see that they appreciate it. I don't think we have that much to worry about in regards to stewardship of the characters. They're in good hands :).

David's been really sentimental about the X-Files lately, and that's really great to see. It's a much different tune than what he was singing way back in the day. He's looking really good in those pictures too, I'm liking the longer hair.

Definitely. And she's been similar in that regard. It's nice to see. Yep. I remember that, so it's nice to see them both come so far from them. Me too.

I just saw a clip from the show today, an interview with David Duchovny... and Kathie Lee and Hoda couldn't even get Mulder's name right! They called him special agent Fox Butler XD. WTF?!

So I guess they mixed him up with Rhett Butler from Gone with the Wind! At least they got his character from 'Californication' right.

• Love 1

I'm more concerned about the fact that he said Twilight came out of The X-Files. He shouldn't be trashing his own show like that! :)

Lmao XD. I don't think he probably was meaning it that way. It seems to be more about how Twilight had gotten a cult following, like the XF did.

There's been a turn toward science fiction and superheroes.

This part of the quote kind of points that out. It's not trashing!

It was always like people kept on talking about it. I think while were still energetic enough and have our minds about us enough, why not?

Make money while it's still popular, while the iron is hot! That's not a negative thing imo.

I feel so many shows have come out of "The X-Files," not only on TV, but also in film. There's been a turn toward science fiction and superheroes. To me, "Twilight" came out of "The X-Files," all of that stuff, so I figure why not us.

What I'm getting from it is that why not take advantage of the new audience while they still can. I don't see why that would be so bad tbh.

Remember, Buffy came out around the same time iirc. And other shows after. Nothing like riding the wave. A whole new generation can get interested in the show who liked 'Twilight' and other similar shows.

I can see why it can be viewed in that light, but the key word is 'cult following'. If he (or they) for that matter didn't like the XF enough to play the roles again, why bother trying to go after the new audience?

A new Newsweek interview with him. Only excepts from it though.

On the upcoming X-Files reboot:

In the beginning it’s going to be weird, you know? Gillian and I are going to be on set as Mulder and Scully, and I’m sure after the first take we’re going to go, What the fuck are we doing? And then we’ll get it. And it’s going to be like practicing a song. Assuming we’ll find the song.

On the value of being clueless:

I have no clue [how I’m going to get back into Mulder’s idealism]! That’s kind of the fun part, not having a clue. If I had a clue I’d probably be bored and do a crappy job. Not having a clue will make me nervous and do my work hard. It’ll all be fine.

Found something a little funny via MTV: Rate X Files monsters in order of datability!

Source: mtv.com

LMAO you guys XD, the only 'dateable' one is Josh Exley imo ;).

• Love 1

Found something a little funny via MTV: Rate X Files monsters in order of datability!

Source: mtv.com

LMAO you guys XD, the only 'dateable' one is Josh Exley imo ;).

Hahaha! Well, Sheriff Hartwell's not so bad. He's a new age type of vampire who doesn't kill people, so he's totally dateable. And if you can deal with his lameness, Eddie Van Blundht might be a lot of fun. He can basically be whoever you want ;)

Omg... the most random thing! A sandwich at Whole Foods named after Skinner :P.

I'd totally eat that sandwich. It would probably feel like punishment while I'm eating it, but then an hour later, I'll realize it was actually for my own good the whole time.

• Love 1

Hahaha! Well, Sheriff Hartwell's not so bad. He's a new age type of vampire who doesn't kill people, so he's totally dateable. And if you can deal with his lameness, Eddie Van Blundht might be a lot of fun. He can basically be whoever you want ;)

I'd totally eat that sandwich. It would probably feel like punishment while I'm eating it, but then an hour later, I'll realize it was actually for my own good the whole time.

Good point! Except for Eddie... would you want to have his baby? :P

Me too! XD

My guess is that Jurassic World is going to dominate the category. Especially since it has already been released and people have actually seen it. And it was pretty awesome :)

Yea I figure, but to see the XF alongside it is pretty cool. Had to give my vote to it and not to Jurassic World. If XF wasn't happening, it might have gotten my vote.

• Love 1

Agreed, I definitely voted for XF and I think it deserves to win since it's the only one that people have been asking for and it's a true revival (same actors). But, none of those can compete with the popularity of Jurassic World among the MTV demographic.

This reminds me of all the random awards that the X-Files used to get nominated for. Like Best TV Friends for the Teen Choice Awards.

• Love 1

Agreed, I definitely voted for XF and I think it deserves to win since it's the only one that people have been asking for and it's a true revival (same actors). But, none of those can compete with the popularity of Jurassic World among the MTV demographic.

This reminds me of all the random awards that the X-Files used to get nominated for. Like Best TV Friends for the Teen Choice Awards.

Yep. But I'm not counting it out! There are quite a few new fans out there. So I think it has a shot.

Yea I remember those. Didn't it get nominated around 96' or 97'?

I haven't watched broadcast TV entertainment programs like Extra in years, but I might have to start if this Charissa Thompson is usually going to be wearing a see-through skirt like that.

Lol, how did you like the interview? Aside from the interviewer's clothes?

Lol, how did you like the interview? Aside from the interviewer's clothes?

Duchovney didn't really say much of interest to be honest, other than the one tidbit that all three major parties involved have been trying to schedule making it for years.

Duchovney didn't really say much of interest to be honest, other than the one tidbit that all three major parties involved have been trying to schedule making it for years.

Ah I see. Figured but it's still neat that he mentioned what he did for what it's worth.

Ah I see. Figured but it's still neat that he mentioned what he did for what it's worth.

I do have to wonder though how this lady is basically getting away with sitting around interviewing people (in the middle of Universal Studios Hollywood public area, to boot) in her panties.  I mean I guess it's no more revealing than a swimsuit bottom, but it's definitely way on the sexy side for anyone acting the role of a reporter (even an Entertainment Reporter).  Not that I mind personally, but I'm amazed someone out there doesn't and hasn't complained to whoever the heck actually makes and/or airs Extra.

Anyway, back to the X-Files.  In that photo attached to the article they show a set photo with David and Gillian.  Is it just me or is Gillian really underdoing her makeup?  

I do have to wonder though how this lady is basically getting away with sitting around interviewing people (in the middle of Universal Studios Hollywood public area, to boot) in her panties.  I mean I guess it's no more revealing than a swimsuit bottom, but it's definitely way on the sexy side for anyone acting the role of a reporter (even an Entertainment Reporter).  Not that I mind personally, but I'm amazed someone out there doesn't and hasn't complained to whoever the heck actually makes and/or airs Extra.

Anyway, back to the X-Files.  In that photo attached to the article they show a set photo with David and Gillian.  Is it just me or is Gillian really underdoing her makeup?  

Fair point. Heck I was shocked with Kathie Lee and Hoda were drunk on national tv interviewing people. Just as bad in some ways.

Yea it looks that way. Not that it's bad. I only have a bit of an issue with the front of the wig O_O. It's ok otherwise though.

Maybe that's why he's been decidedly more Hollywood these days (doing tons of press, releasing a novel and an album, being on social media).

Maybe.*shrugs* Who knows? I remember reading somewhere that it was one of his kids that got him on Twitter and/or social media in part. (para phrasing) At the end of our day, it's not our concern. But I did see some one else on another forum mention something like that too.

Stars can buy them and who knows if it was that, or if someone nominated him?  Seriously though... I'd rather focus on the positive. Life's too short to get all cynical and jaded. It's not worth it.

Regardless, it's still neat.

Yeah, I think they all have to buy it. At least that's what the article says. Sorry if I came across as cynical or jaded. I'm not at all. I think it's great that he got a star if that's what he wanted. I'm not criticizing it at all. If I was a rich actor, I would probably want a star too. Nothing wrong with wanting some commemoration :)

• Love 1

Yeah, I think they all have to buy it. At least that's what the article says. Sorry if I came across as cynical or jaded. I'm not at all. I think it's great that he got a star if that's what he wanted. I'm not criticizing it at all. If I was a rich actor, I would probably want a star too. Nothing wrong with wanting some commemoration :)

Yea either the stars or the nominators (iirc) have to pony up the dough ($30,000) to get one.

No problem :). Just been seeing more than my share of it over on Tumblr today.

Exactly.

My only issue is if it goes to a star's head. Then it makes me want to throw a pillow. (Hence why I wasn't a fan of either him or Gillian back in the day -- around s6 to around s7-8ish (any good eps aside), the fame seemed to get to their heads a bit. Now it's ok, they seemed to have matured and grown up.)

As for the album he did, iirc, he did it for one of his kids. That doesn't sound entirely selfish. It sounds more like a challenge to see if he could do it. I see nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, I wonder who was behind the campaign to get him one.

Often it's their representation, their agent, pushing on them to get one.  Too soon and they look egotistical.  But at a certain point it seems to be expected.

Also getting them this year: Tracy Morgan, Steve Carell, Bradley Cooper, Ashley Judd, Michael Keaton, Kurt Russell, Quentin Tarantino, Kathy Bates, Allison Janney, Rob Lowe, LL Cool J, Cyndi Lauper, Adam Levine, Bruno Mars, and Kevin Hart.

Kevin Hart is the one who seems "too soon" to me, although Bruno Mars, even though he's a huge star, is maybe just too young for it to seem right.

Stars DO seem to put on an act like it's an honor.  Oh, I suppose it is.  They don't just pay for it, they have to be ALLOWED to pay for it (in other words they get put on an eligibility list, then if they agree to pay, they get the star).  

Interview with Glen Morgan and James Wong, about their infamous episode, "Home".

The next thing you know, they (Fox) weren’t going to rerun it. They didn’t want the grief. In fact, the next year Jim and I ran the show “Millennium,” which Chris Carter also created, and the ratings were low on that show and we thought, ‘Hey, what if Lance Henriksen finds the surviving members of the Peacock family?’ Everybody thought that was a great idea. And we were all set to do a sequel to “Home” and then we got a call from Fox that was: “Those characters never appear on television again.” So we dumped it.

My reaction to the concept was, "Someone has too much time on their hands."  Then I watched.  And laughed so very hard.  A fan uses her action figures to give a 6-second recap of each episode, starting from the beginning:

• Love 2