Type keyword(s) to search

30 Rock - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

If I Wrote a Coronavirus Episode

Tracy has already contracted and survived the virus (“My snakes eat bats and then I use my snakes to practice French kissing, so it was inevitable, Liz Lemon!”), so he would declare himself an immune “green person” and set out to help. (Tracy: “Like Mister Rogers said, ‘Look like the helpers.’”) So, dressed as a firefighter, he would volunteer his time delivering illegal box jellyfish to the elderly.

Jack would try to get Liz to go to the secret GE island off the coast of Connecticut: “It will just be the top executives, any wives under 40, and yes, Lauer will be there, but only because it was built into his deal years ago.” Liz refuses to go because of her desire to be egalitarian but also because everyone would probably be barefoot. Pass. She would shelter in place like nobody’s business and still somehow dodge sex with James Marsden.

Kenneth would be the most prepared, having grown up Eighth Day Resurrected Covenant of the Holy Trinity and observing its End of Days Countdown Calendar, which is different from most calendars. “For example, we’ve only had Christmas twice, but Easter is every four hours.” Jack would offer to buy Kenneth’s cupboard of canned chickpeas for a million dollars, but Kenneth would just give him two cans for free. “Hoarding is a sin, sir! Just like skateboarding or riding a horse you’re not related to!” —Tina Fey and Sam Means

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

What the hell was that hour long Peacock ad???  What a piece of crap wrapped in a dirty diaper in the bottom of a Port-O-Potty.  Out of the 57 min, I expected at least a few minutes of classic, witty 30 Rock.  There was about 45 seconds worth watching.

I had no interest in Peacock since hearing about it months ago.  After watching this, I would never watch. I feel like I need to actively campaign against NBC/Universal/Peacock.  I don’t even want to ever go to a zoo or farm with peacocks on the property.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Kromm said:

The Peacock app SUCKS (very choppy playback, broken casting, etc) but it's nice to have access to all of these 30 Rock episodes now. 

Boy howdy! Not to mention, difficult to set closed captions and none of the settings stick. Everytime your reopen, you have to reset for almost every episode of anything. Comcast/Xfininity has been getting the "Premier plus commercials" free for a month or so. Like you say, nice to have all these episodes, but they really need to work on the app. 👎

6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

What the hell was that hour long Peacock ad???  What a piece of crap wrapped in a dirty diaper in the bottom of a Port-O-Potty.  Out of the 57 min, I expected at least a few minutes of classic, witty 30 Rock.  There was about 45 seconds worth watching.

Incredibly disappointing! It had its moments, but they were few and far between. Another 👎

• Love 1

According to this announcement, PBS will be airing She Loves Me (2016) with Laura Benanti, Gavin Creel, Jane Krakowski and Zachary Levi on 7/24

If you're a theatre-lover at all, I highly recommend this production! It's fantastic, old-school musical theatre with great performers in every role. And Jane really gets to shine. 

• Love 1

We have to keep in mind the special replaced the upfronts hence all of the celebrities not singing to find Jack's dad a kidney.  But for someone in Canada who can't access Peacock, PASS.  Some NBC stations did not air it as all as they knew it was an hour long ad for Peacock and did local programming instead so this may blow up in NBC's face. 

For the 30 Rock stuff I loved, but when Jenna was talking to Tracy, it drove me nuts.  Not only was the camera option clearly turned on Jane's phone, the video was reversed as the back cameras were on the other side.  Unless Jenna now lives in some mirror world, something happened there. 

I've always disliked Jenna and fast forwarded her parts. Who am I kidding, I ff'd 99% of this shitshow disguised as a 30Rock special. So disappointing. A couple of funny lines from Jack Donague . All it was was an ad for Peacock. Which is what, reruns of past shows? Looks like crap. And I am tired of the Covid, so we are at home shows. All it does it make me more anxious. I want to forget about this not have to watch social distancing, masks, zoom on my tv. 

• Love 1

I had to hunt for this topic to say how disappointed I was in the 30 Rock "special." I turned it off and deleted it on my DRV when it got to the ad for Peacock within the giant ad for Peacock that was the show. Kind of like when an infomercial has a "commercial break". I have no interest in yet another streaming service, and was not expecting this. Just awful. 

**shrug** I liked it. The Peacock parts were easy to fast-forward through (I didn't watch it live). It was really no different than watching a regular episode with commercials, except all the commercials were for the same thing (like the old single-sponsor stuff shows had way back when). The whole thing was 55 minutes; approximately 15 was Peacock/Olympic/NBC stuff. That's still a lot of show. But then, I went in knowing it was a commercial/replacement for the upfronts and actually expected a lot less show and a lot more promo than I got. I loved seeing the characters again, it was really well-made compared to a lot of pandemic-produced shows, and the outtakes at the end were a blast. I enjoyed it.

• Love 10
On 7/17/2020 at 4:40 AM, Ms Lark said:

Like you say, nice to have all these episodes, but they really need to work on the app

What's weird is that I've tried BOTH the Android and iOS apps, and despite definitely having totally different coding, BOTH have the same issue casting to a Chromecast device. The iOS version is a little better though, mostly because it didn't have the issue the Android client had with repeated long screen freezes. 

• Useful 1
On 7/17/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jodithgrace said:

I had to hunt for this topic to say how disappointed I was in the 30 Rock "special." I turned it off and deleted it on my DRV when it got to the ad for Peacock within the giant ad for Peacock that was the show. Kind of like when an infomercial has a "commercial break". I have no interest in yet another streaming service, and was not expecting this. Just awful. 

Ironically, and yet also somewhat unsurprisingly, the only really good part was the last minute or so, where we saw the actors being themselves. 

I was also disappointed that this was mainly an ad for Peacock, but liked the "where are they now" intros. Pete and Paula were hilarious, I loved the fact the Toofer now writes for Hallmark, and wow, I did NOT know that Sue and Lutz were married in real life! That was a bombshell for me. I liked the few callbacks to jokes from the original series, but wanted more. When Jack said he was being put in charge of women's programming, I was sure it was a setup for yet another "Bitch Hunter" joke, but alas, it was not. And during Jenna's vlog about making pizza, I kept thinking about that time when she gained all that weight from eating pizza on stage during her run in "Mystic Pizza." Oh well, I'll always have the reruns to get my real 30 Rock fix.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:41 PM, TheOtherOne said:

I went in knowing it was a commercial/replacement for the upfronts and actually expected a lot less show and a lot more promo than I got.

Ditto! I was expecting nothing more than the actors to read promo bits on Zoom in character and I got a whole hour episode. I also got to learn that Lutz and Sue are married! I loved seeing everyone again and I laughed out loud often. I’m due for a rewatch and this was the kick in the pants I needed to bust out the DVDs. 

• Love 1
(edited)

During the first Peacock commercial, I kept watching because I was expecting some kind of Punchline, even if it was just Liz Lemon popping up at the end to say, "SYNERGY!" or something ridiculous.

Once I realized that these were just straight up ads for their streaming service, I fast forwarded the rest of them which made the episode A LOT shorter.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo