Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 6/16/14

6/16: Howard Schultz (chairman, president and chief executive officer of Starbucks)
6/17: Daniel Schulman (author – promoting book “Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America's Most Powerful and Private Dynasty”)
6/18: Kevin Hart (comedian & actor – promoting movie “Think Like a Man Too”)
6/19: Jennifer Esposito (actress & author – promoting book “Jennifer's Way: My Journey with Celiac Disease--What Doctors Don’t Tell You and How You Can Learn to Live Again”)

• Love 1

I think Jon will be very very happy for tomorrow's show after the 2-1 victory by the U.S.

The media is a fucking disgrace for inviting these fucking assholes, like John McCain and Lindsey Graham, onto their shows and lie about everything Iraq and not get challenged. Why do they fucking do it? Why doesn't someone get in their smug faces and tell them they're treacherous liars?

• Love 2

Agreed 100%, VtC.

Why the heck do these talk shows keep inviting these guys -- ESPECIALLY to talk about Iraq policy!?  At least not without introducing them with the disclaimer, "The next guest has been proven almost completely wrong about Iraq in the past, but we are asking him/her to present his/her views anyway.  Viewer discretion is advised." 

Geesh.  Why do any of them have any credibility on this issue whatsoever?  Nice summary of the situation by Jon tonight.

I'm going to go with because the media was loudly, determinedly wrong about all the same things. The only way they aren't fools or liars is if the usual suspects are just that credible.

Besides, there's no wingnut welfare in ethical reporting.

• Love 2

I don't think Starbucks is a bad egg for offering tuition, but there's something about being wholly dependent on one's employer for one's education that makes me nervous. How soon will it be before an employer limits the coursework you can take (either in amount or content), or fires you for getting a D-minus in Frappuccino 101? It's bad enough to have Hobby Lobby telling me I can't have a policy covering birth control, do I want Exxon Mobil managing my dissertation in climate science? 

It's just another step closer to the Robber Baron days, you know? Perhaps Schultz can start selling CDs with new covers of "I Sold My Soul to the Company Store."  And not for nothing: it's a handy way to distract us from actually agitating for political policies that help all of us, not just baristas.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jon's Lindsay Graham impression might have surpassed his "wrak wark!" Dick Cheney for me. "My wicked tongue...I'm so baaad.' I died.

I don't think Starbucks is a bad egg for offering tuition, but there's something about being wholly dependent on one's employer for one's education that makes me nervous.

Same here. Are certain courses and/or majors off-limits because they might conflict with what Starbucks is about?

I wish Jon had followed up the Seattle minimum-wage issue a bit more. If the $15/hour passes there, what does that mean for areas with a lower minimum wage? Will Starbucks increase everyone's rates?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

The educational support is only for online courses. So that's a limited pool. Plus, you can't get a BS for example from online-only courses. No offense, ASU isn't the best online in the nation either. They may have the most extensive offerings in terms of scope, possibly.

It's bad enough to have Hobby Lobby telling me I can't have a policy covering birth control, do I want Exxon Mobil managing my dissertation in climate science?

Corporations fund research projects all the time, but they wouldn't fund students directly. They'd fund proposals by reputable professors who would in turn develop them into dissertation projects. As much as people bitch, having tenure gives the professors the clout to defend their results and conclusions even if they conflict with what the funders intend. 

This actually happened in real life: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/04/local/la-me-climate-berkeley-20110404

I don't think it's useful to argue whether or not the USA should have gotten into Iraq because it happened and that can't be undone. However, the fact that the state is crumbling isn't a surprise, but what do people expect? Unless the USA/foreign presence is installed indefinitely, this was kind of inevitable. It's pretty clear most people consider US interests abroad are spread thin. Not that we should be isolationist, but getting involved everywhere all the time isn't sustainable or sensible, and to argue otherwise seems disingenuous to me. 

Program note: Jennifer Esposito will not be appearing on Thursday's show, as previously scheduled. She will be on next week instead. The new guest is Hamid Al-Bayati (former Permanent Representative of Iraq to the United Nations).

• Love 2
(edited)

That first segment was fantastic. I love when Jon gets into his history professor mode. It's incredible how freely representatives and pundits are allowed to lie on air and otherwise distort the truth without being called on it. I suppose it doesn't help that the journalists supposedly there to check their facts often choose to be complicit because the extreme rhetoric and name-calling make for better television or some nonsense. Also, regarding McCain's remarks, how is it not a new style of imperialism to engage in wars of choice and to have a military presence across the world? Perhaps this is the legacy of having grown up in Hiroshima, Japan, but I'm not a believer in American exceptionalism. In any case, I'm so grateful that McCain wasn't elected president. What a mess that would have been, and with Palin as VP!

I don't think Starbucks is a bad egg for offering tuition, but there's something about being wholly dependent on one's employer for one's education that makes me nervous.

I didn't get the sense from Schultz that employees were dependent on Starbucks for their education, but that they had the choice to opt in. I suppose anyone who didn't like the courses or degrees that Starbucks arranged with ASU would not opt in and, instead, attend elsewhere? If the employees who opted in were paying out of their paycheck for corporate-mandated coursework, then I'd think that would raise some red flags, but I don't see anything particularly nefarious about an employer covering tuition for courses as an investment in their employees, with the vision of that business model being perhaps to build a more educated, effective workforce that will remain with the corporation until retirement. Some people who want a steady job (with the possibility for climbing the ladder) might welcome the choice. If that's the case, it's not altruistic, however Schultz might want to portray it, but it would make sense as a business model for an employer willing (and big enough) to risk paying for education in the hopes that employees will stay with them. The company for whom I used to work covered some training and seminars, etc., for that purpose, but there was no issue of debt if you decided to quit. Of course, those were very specifically related to positions within the company, so I imagine there are some different issues at play here.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 4
(edited)

The educational support is only for online courses. So that's a limited pool. Plus, you can't get a BS for example from online-only courses. No offense, ASU isn't the best online in the nation either. They may have the most extensive offerings in terms of scope, possibly.

Not too sure how it works, but could you not take classes as credits to transfer over to another institution? So perhaps they can save money by having credits online at ASU (similar to taking AP courses in high school) for free and then transfer them over when entering another institution so they can graduate sooner and pay less. Graduating a semester or even a year earlier would do wonders in term of student loans.

The Mess-opotamia segment was great and depressing. All those Republicans should go stfu. Also, Lindsay Graham was just laugh worthy.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1
(edited)

I loved, loved, loved Jon's theatrics as America courted multiple "lovers"(Iran/Saudi Arabia/Israel).  Corporations are people and people are sociopaths?  And Southern belle Lindsay "My Wicked Tongue" Graham - priceless, all priceless.  Excellent show!

Edited by eejm

In any case, I'm so grateful that McCain wasn't elected president. What a mess that would have been, and with Palin as VP!

For pity's sake, that ALONE should be enough to disqualify McCain from ever getting to speak as an "expert" about anything ever again.

Fremde Frau, I know you are a fairly new TDS viewer, but my husband & I were speculating last night if Jon sounds especially bitter about McCain (a.k.a. "Johnny Rotten Judgment") because he was once a "friend of the show." Yes, John McCain used to appear as a guest on "The Daily Show" regularly. I believe his last appearance was a few months before he received the Republican nomination in 2008. McCain's behavior during the campaign, not to mention the Palin pick, was the nail in the coffin to that bromance.

• Love 1

Now that you mention it, trow125, it has been a while since McCain visited TDS. Who knew that a nomination towards the Presidency can ruin personal ties. Karma's such a bitch, which is probably why some Republicans can't grow up and even step foot into Jonny-bun's territory. Seems like politics these days are more about gaining votes and advertising biting attack ads than intimately knowing the people and straightforwardly realizing the riots they caused (because some people are too stubborn to admit that immigration is the backbone of America's success, or that no effort in gun regulation will decrease school shootings). 

McCain 2000 was a very different candidate than McCain 2008. He ran against the party establishment in '00, which made a lot of people outside the party establishment see him as a man of principle. Unfortunately, when he had the chance to run as the candidate of the establishment, he hopped in bed with a lot of things he said he was opposed to on principle.

I didn't much admire the man he was in '08. It was very hard for me to watch a man who kept his integrity under torture in Viet Nam bow down to primary voters in South Carolina and the Wyly brothers, especially after they attacked his wife and daughter.

• Love 1

Not too sure how it works, but could you not take classes as credits to transfer over to another institution?

Usually, not for online courses. You don't get a grade, you just get a certificate of completion. Unless ASU has leveled up. That's the problem with online courses; it's getting the equivalency of credit or an in-person class. No one quite knows how to do that.

I applaud the effort, but honestly, Starbucks could have offered to pay for 1 or 2 years of community college and it would have been far more valuable. 

Thank you, trow! I had no idea there was a bit of personal history there. That puts Jon's disappointment and disgust in a whole new light.

I've been slowly working my way around the archived videos on the website, but it's a lot to take in. I wish I knew where to find something like "best of" list for interviews, sketches, field pieces, etc. I've been searching for keywords and then clicking on tags that interest me. So far, the only videos I've seen that I know for sure were big moments back in their day have been the Jim Cramer interview and the 9/11 First Responders episode at the end of 2010. (Wow.)

ganesh, I'm kind of hoping that the market pressure from a lot of folks working for Starbucks degrees makes state, city and community colleges more open to transferring credits.

Fremde Frau, if you are looking for some really fun pieces, try the Even Steph/ven bits with Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert -- in fact, almost everything featuring Carell (remember, he was a total unknown when he started on TDS) is solid gold. I also recommend the Code Pink segment with Rob Riggle -- I particularly enjoyed that one because I used to live just a few blocks from Code Pink's Bay Area HQ -- and the pieces (I think there were at least a couple) where Wyatt Cenac visited senior citizens' facilities in Florida during the 2008 election season. Also, I'm not sure why I love this one so much, but the Counter Clinton Library piece, and Ed Helms' All-Star Salute to Getting Hit in the Nuts. There's some great early John Oliver material too.

Back to present time, I believe tonight's guest, Kevin Hart, is a "Daily Show" first-timer. Should be interesting to see how he and Jon interact.

• Love 1

I've been slowly working my way around the archived videos on the website, but it's a lot to take in. I wish I knew where to find something like "best of" list for interviews, sketches, field pieces, etc. I've been searching for keywords and then clicking on tags that interest me.

A few years ago, all my study breaks were reserved for watching clips of TDS. I started from 1999 and slowly moved my way up. There were some excruciating things and I definitely started skipping. A tip for interviews  - watch all the people still in the media or politics now. So people like Reza Aslan, Fareed Zakaria, Rachel Maddow, Bill O'Reill, Chris Matthews, McCain, Clinton, Harry Reid etc...just to see how much they've changed or not changed. McCain is mind boggling, start watching the pieces of him after his last interview with Jon. Harsh. Very very harsh.  Then slowly make your way through all the dates and if the name is unfamiliar look them up to see what they were promoting and watch those that interest you.  Most the actor/actress interviews especially early on are pointless. The Jennifer Love Hewitt one where she promotes Garfield is kind of golden in a "Oh MY GOD JON"- foot in mouth type thing. Extended interview - interviews tend to be really great because Jon obviously cares.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thank you, maculae! That sounds like a great strategy! I've really loved the extended interviews that I've seen. And now I'm fascinated to see how McCain has changed through the years on the show, and how Jon's coverage of him has changed. I didn't realize there were so many "friends of the show" that I recognize from elsewhere. (Edit: it was hard to believe at first that Bill O'Reilly was effectively a friend of the show, but I ended up spending almost two hours last night watching O'Reilly and Jon interview each other. Now I believe it, but I don't know how I feel about it. My very conservative parents used to watch The O'Reilly Factor nightly until even they got tired of him; it's an odd feeling to realize they probably knew of Jon before I did, thanks to one of his appearances on O'Reilly's show.)

Trow, I watched the Rob Riggle and Wyatt segments you recommended, and they were hilarious! Just brilliant. Wow, if only I'd been watching this show back then!

Edited by Fremde Frau
I applaud the effort, but honestly, Starbucks could have offered to pay for 1 or 2 years of community college and it would have been far more valuable.

I read an article stating that Starbucks' 'pay for college' promotion is replacing an older promotion that allowed one to go to any college, but the courses had to 'relate to Starbucks' employment (which I suppose limited it to business and marketing type classes) and only reimbursed the student up to $1,000.  So the new promotion pays more, doesn't limit the courses, but limits the provider.

The Koch brothers book sounded interesting. I just learned that there are four of them when an acquaintance of mine told me he used to work for one of them. 'Which one?' I asked. 'The gay one', he smiled. Now, hearing Schulman say here that Charles and David support marriage equality doesn't so much surprise me. Ain't that how it goes?

"Bring me my smelling' turds" is indeed a great line. That whole bit about the Texas GOP and gay therapy was spot-on. Loved Jon mocking Perry. Then carrying over the turd bottle to the Trump story was perfect. But, man oh man, Trump is … well, he certainly is Fuckface Von Clownstick. He's a cartoon, an unfunny cartoon.

That book does sound interesting. I didn't know there were four brothers. 

As good as it is for TDS to point out what BS [heh] the gay therapy is, this was a manufactured tactic. He knows damn well going to San Francisco and saying all this was going to drum up controversy. It's just a political tactic. Because now he can say the 'liberals always talk about tolerance but they aren't tolerant of people's views that aren't the same as their own.' Which is a total canard, but he's going to pull that out sometime in the future. That's what this whole thing was about.  

It should be made clear that this gay therapy has been scientifically discredited, and it's not even an issue anymore because there's consensus across the board on this, but that's not the whole story here. I'm surprised that TDS missed it. 

I also didn't know there were 4 brothers or that they were more Libertarian.  Of course, considering that they only really seem to care about economic issues for them, which is only the rich get richer and the poor get fucked, I really don't think it matters one wit that they're for gay marriage.  Nor do I think its all that great to be for anarchy and no government at all.

• Love 1

That interview was more interesting than I thought it would be. I'll have to check out his book when it hits my local library. I'm no economics whiz, but it's hard to fathom how libertarians maintain that competition in a free market would solve inequality. In any case, I'm glad Jon pointed out that it is fundamentally an elitist view, not a democratic one.

Ganesh, I wonder if the "liberals are intolerant of our intolerance!" tactic is just such a standard operating procedure for the GOP that they didn't feel it worth commenting on until Perry or someone else inevitably pulls it out? The whole segment on the shit-in-a-bottle was a hilarious narrative and led perfectly to the Trump bit, so maybe they just went with the immediate story, saving the broader picture for later? It is pretty horrifying that people still subscribe to such discredited "science," although I don't think Perry cares one way or another as long as he finds the right button to push to keep his constituents voting for him. Ugh.

I thought Rory Albanese left the show? He was credited as a writer for last nights episode.

Do they ever hire people back? I looked on his website, and he mentions that he's working on a CBS comedy but no word on TDS.

Ganesh, I wonder if the "liberals are intolerant of our intolerance!" tactic is just such a standard operating procedure for the GOP that they didn't feel it worth commenting on until Perry or someone else inevitably pulls it out? The whole segment on the shit-in-a-bottle was a hilarious narrative and led perfectly to the Trump bit, so maybe they just went with the immediate story, saving the broader picture for later? It is pretty horrifying that people still subscribe to such discredited "science," although I don't think Perry cares one way or another as long as he finds the right button to push to keep his constituents voting for him. Ugh.

This is exactly what it is mostly. Texas is making a big push to attract businesses from CA. Perry comes all the way to San Francisco to spout this nonsense, which I'm not exactly sure that he believes. It's for votes for one, but it's also to pander to the conservative parts of CA. "See, these wacky liberals! Come to TX and you can do what you want and make money without anyone telling you that it's not ok to like teh gheys."

It seems pretty transparent, so I don't know why TDS would save it for later. 

how libertarians maintain that competition in a free market would solve inequality.

I'm pretty sure hard-core libertarians think inequality is the natural order of things and needn't be 'solved' at all.

But I always grin (mirthlessly) whenever that type goes on about reducing government. Somalia aside, if we get rid of government, how are tax dollars going to be funneled into private (i.e. Koch) hands? Can't build a fracking well without tax incentives, me boyo!

• Love 1

It should be made clear that this gay therapy has been scientifically discredited, and it's not even an issue anymore because there's consensus across the board on this

Yes, but we have a media that does not care about evidence or facts anymore, so they give air time for things like this, or like the vaccine-is-bad thing, because controversy feeds itself. I would not be surprised if the "journalists" today, or even the older ones who make a living on TV have never heard of the Manual of Journalist Ethics

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm pretty sure hard-core libertarians think inequality is the natural order of things and needn't be 'solved' at all.

Yeah, that's a good point. The hard-core libertarians seem to love this concept of "survival of the fittest," what with seeing themselves as the fittest, but they're misinterpreting and misapplying the theory and mechanics of evolution. I can't stand when people call this stance a "Darwinian" philosophy, as I've seen some libertarians do; they're closer to Spencer and even Galton than to Darwin and Wallace. Like you say, the hard-core crowd definitely prefers to call it a "natural order" and not what it is at its core, social Darwinism. Maybe that's too on-the-nose for them.

It's a pipe dream, basically.

So many seem to support unlimited corporate power in the name of free market capitalism, even when it goes against their best interests as citizens with individual rights. I haven't done any reading on the subject, but I'd be curious to see if libertarianism in the States is different from elsewhere in the world. Is it something born out of the American Dream and this myth of rugged American individualism, pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps? So they vote to protect the too-big-to-fail corporations now, against the hope that when they've become the power players that are too big to fail, they'll be protected from the have-nots? It boggles my mind.

Edited by Fremde Frau

Yes, but we have a media that does not care about evidence or facts anymore, so they give air time for things like this, or like the vaccine-is-bad thing, because controversy feeds itself.

My point was, the demo for TDS knows that gay therapy isn't an actual thing, and to spend the entire segment on re-proving this missed the whole point of this Perry nonsense. Yes, take the 90 seconds to remind everyone that it's all BS, but the real story was that this was a premeditated scenario by Perry for certain political ends. So you could have double whammied on what a fraud Perry is.

trow, I just finished watching the Nuts piece and the Counter Clinton Library. I completely lost it at the end of that second video, when Corddry started singing. I love the current group (along with Aasif and John Oliver) so much that I didn't think anyone could top them, but Ed Helms, Steve Carrell, Rob Corddry, and Stephen Colbert... man, what a fantastic group of correspondents they were!

Oh! I also took your advice to look up the Even Stevphen bits, and I ended up watching this piece on Islam vs. Christianity. I was dying, and then they ended it so perfectly! The two of them (the three of them) have such fantastic chemistry. I'll definitely have to watch more of those.

maculae, I couldn't resist and watched the Jennifer Love Hewitt interview. I was cringing and laughing at the same time. There was the bizarre conversation about his dog eating her dog, and then he calls Bill Murray "a crazy whore for money" for doing the Garfield movie! Oh my god. I couldn't believe that came out of his mouth. When I did the search for her name, I noticed that interview was her last appearance, almost 10 years to the day. Not hard to see why she didn't come back. What was Jon thinking??

(This post is completely off-topic, being about old shows, but I wasn't sure where else to respond about it. I hope this is okay.)

(edited)

Thank you, stacey! I had completely forgotten about that thread.

Edit: DiscoverMagazine.com posted this image (taken by the International Space Station) of the Persian Gulf, gave a concise description of the geographical context, and concluded with a recommendation that curious readers should watch The Daily Show's coverage if they want a good summary of the situation. I thought it was a cute mention, what with being unexpected.

Edited by Fremde Frau

It seems if you're trying to congratulate yourself on conducting an interview, chances are you suck elephant balls as a news network. But that's what we come to expect from both Fox News and CNN. I would like to have seen The Best Fucking News Team doing their version of congratulations.

What makes me think I've seen this boxing chicken segment before?

And I'm old enough to remember all the names of the wrestlers Jon and Kevin Hart mentioned. Pathetic isn't it?

I hope Jon brings up that trolling piece of shit Dick Cheney just wrote in the WSJ and destroys him.

• Love 3

I'm no economics whiz, but it's hard to fathom how libertarians maintain that competition in a free market would solve inequality.

To get specific about inequality, in that infamous interview with Rachel Maddow, Rand Paul insisted the Civil Rights Act wasn't necessary because customers would get businesses to do the right thing eventually. I guess they would have pressured Woolworth's to integrate their lunch counters by threatening to take away their business and to eat a integrated lunch counters. Which... makes no sense if you've studied that era of American history.

(edited)

It seems if you're trying to congratulate yourself on conducting an interview, chances are you suck elephant balls as a news network. But that's what we come to expect from both Fox News and CNN.

I was so embarrassed on their behalf. What were they thinking? The OTT self-congratulations were ridiculous. The whole thing seemed like a joke.

Fox's reaction to the capture of the Benghazi masterpiece was pathetic. 

What makes me think I've seen this boxing chicken segment before?

Yeah, at the start of the segment I thought it was a rerun. I'm not sure, but I think the story was mentioned on TCR. I remember wondering where the chickens wore the boxing gloves because there was no video.

I've never seen Kevin Hart's standup, and I think the only show I've seen him in is Undeclared, which I've been watching on Netflix, but I enjoyed the interview. Oh, actually yesterday I watched the video of him with Jimmy Fallon going on a roller coaster, and it was hilarious, poor guy.

Edited by peeayebee
(edited)

've never seen Kevin Hart's standup, and I think the only show I've seen him in is Undeclared, which I've been watching on Netflix, but I enjoyed the interview.

Some of his stand up is on Netflix, he's great. Unless that's what Undeclared is...

I know nothing about WWE. Was The Rock one?  Also, Kevin Hart's shirt was extremely distracting.

I was so embarrassed on their behalf. What were they thinking? The OTT self-congratulations were ridiculous. The whole thing seemed like a joke.

They did such a great job! Everybody, great job! Don't you think they did a great job? Let's give them a hand for their great job! Great job!

It's something you'd expect to see on Anchorman, not CNN.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1

How far removed from any semblance of journalism would you have to be to give yourself an actual round of applause for conducting an interview? It's getting harder and harder to remember how much I respected CNN while I was a teenager in Japan. My parents loved Paul Harvey, but it seemed to me that CNN was telling it like it was. I guess that was CNN International; I wonder if they've changed under Zucker's management or if they're still worth something as a news network. Christiane Amanpour is a reputable journalist, isn't she? That must have been rather embarrassing for her.

I've never watched WWE, but it was fun to watch Kevin Hart and Jon talk about his experiences.

Am I alone in being squicked by Wolf Blitzer smooching Amanpour on camera? I don't suppose he smooched Tapper...

I really hope that when aliens show up after the apocalypse, they won't have CNN/Fox feeds to educate them on what our civilization was. Let them be demolished along with humanity!

• Love 1
Christiane Amanpour is a reputable journalist, isn't she? That must have been rather embarrassing for her.

She looked quite taken aback when Wolf went in for the smackeroo. I can't blame her a bit. Yeesh.

(edited)

dubbel zout, I love that he said, "Give me a kiss," but he was the one to kiss her. How uncomfortable!

I really hope that when aliens show up after the apocalypse, they won't have CNN/Fox feeds to educate them on what our civilization was.

attica, that sounds perfectly horrifying! I wonder if we have been evil enough as a species to have that coming to us. (Probably so!)

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

Some of his stand up is on Netflix, he's great. Unless that's what Undeclared is...

No, Undeclared was a short-lived Apatow TV series from several years back about freshmen in college. Kevin Hart was just in a couple of eps, I think. Pretty good show.

I know nothing about WWE. Was The Rock one?  Also, Kevin Hart's shirt was extremely distracting.

I have absolutely no interesting in wrestling. Blech. And I agree about Hart's shirt. What was the pattern on it?

I fast-forwarded through the interview but, yes, the Rock is a WWE performer. Maybe "was." I'm not sure how much he participates now that he's in so many movies.